Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Players should always go first versus npc's

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
I think players should always get to go first against the mobs not everyone is some super mastermind with this game and get tired of them trying to make you get help. I am not getting help cause soloing is what I like doing but the reason I can't win is because I never go first. I have calculated my probablity of going first by trying 10 battles I went first twice so thats 20% chance of going first it may be different for each player but players should always go first if they are alone.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
bravevline wrote:
I think players should always get to go first against the mobs not everyone is some super mastermind with this game and get tired of them trying to make you get help. I am not getting help cause soloing is what I like doing but the reason I can't win is because I never go first. I have calculated my probablity of going first by trying 10 battles I went first twice so thats 20% chance of going first it may be different for each player but players should always go first if they are alone.

I agree. Especially when were in a place where 2 monsters can double up on you :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
I agree that we should go first more (Last time for me going first was about 2 days ago). I don't think it should always be us first, but I do think it should be more randomized.

Defender
Sep 11, 2010
Interesting thread.

I have been "going first" most of the time and have obviously taken it for granted. I do play differently than most people I see in the game though. I take great pains to fish a single mob out from the crowd WHEREVER I can, and often use the "holes" created in the NPC "conga lines" by other people's battles to accomplish the isolation of a single opponent.

Being 1 on 1 for two, and often three rounds of combat, eliminates most of the being outnumbered all the time stuff. Dungeons are different. Fishing is not allowed and you have to deal with them all at once.

RUTHLESSLY discarding to get the EXACT spell cards needed to get the first kill ... is ALWAYS better than casting an uneeded spell and HOPING luck will improve your play deck choices the next round.

NEVER pass ... unless my deck is EMPTY. There should ALWAYS be a blade, a trap, a shield (in that order) ... SOMETHING productive to cast ... passing is a sure sign of a poorly constructed deck or failing to DISCARD properly. There are "unlucky" deals, I once got all 7 of my Wraiths on the first pass ... ;( ... but they are RARE.

Attack the NPC's in order of LEAST health, not because it insures better loot from the bosses' dying last, but because it SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the amount of damage they can do during any combat round. The only exception is if a higher health NPC happens to be weak to your school and can be killed quicker than the NPC with lower health.

If I have not KILLED an NPC within three rounds, I have made a mistake.

Can't say these ideas will work for others, but they do work for me.

Who goes first is not relevant to any fight. The spells picked by the AI for most mobs is pretty predictable, and often pathetic.

It is who "dies" first ... THAT decides the battle.

Delver
Sep 26, 2009
I usually attack the one with the most pips lol so it cant cast earthquake or triton on me ^^, otherwise i agree with you

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
Ooh, players are getting experience in fighting from a disadvantage, we wouldn't want THAT!

Opposing this argument is currently that easy. I'd like some logos, not pathos.

Defender
Aug 26, 2010
I don't know if this is truly what is happening or not, but if I get to my spot before the NPC gets to theirs, I go first. You have to judge where the spots are going to be which is difficult if you haven't battled in that area before, but it seems to work for me.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
FoxFyr wrote:
Ooh, players are getting experience in fighting from a disadvantage, we wouldn't want THAT!

Opposing this argument is currently that easy. I'd like some logos, not pathos.
I can oppose your reply to. Sometimes the word impossible comes alive.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I don't get why soloing in a MMORPG is so appealing to so many people! KI said it themselves; the game is designed to encourage teamwork, whether you like it or not. Now that I got that out of my system, I'll address the situation at hand. I hardly get to go first in battle, especially when I'm forced to solo, but I don't whine in the Forum about it. I prepare to play defense. Going first isn't that huge an advantage, and if you prepare beforehand, you should be fine. Plus, always going first would make the game boring.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I don't get why soloing in a MMORPG is so appealing to so many people! KI said it themselves; the game is designed to encourage teamwork, whether you like it or not. Now that I got that out of my system, I'll address the situation at hand. I hardly get to go first in battle, especially when I'm forced to solo, but I don't whine in the Forum about it. I prepare to play defense. Going first isn't that huge an advantage, and if you prepare beforehand, you should be fine. Plus, always going first would make the game boring.
I agree with you but everyone likes to solo some. I really wanted to get new spells on my balance wizard (helping hands). After getting it I used her account to catch her wizard up with me. But I had a heck of a time getting the helping hands through a long line of complicated quests!