Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Planning second school questions

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 16, 2010
Ok so i have been trying to figure out what other school to take and have a pretty good idea of what I want, but not sure how to plan. Is there a Character planner or builder program? If not then question, when I choose a secondary school to train in what happens? Is there some penalty applied for it not being my primary school, or do you just learn those spells as well? I see a lot post about 3rd school and even a few about 4th school. I think there are only 26 training points total available but I cant really narrow that down for sure as it seems most posts are pretty old about the topic.

FYI, I am a balance wizard and was thinking about life or death and storm. If thats really possible. Thanks in advance for any help.l

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
IDK if there is a planner out there but you could look at wizard101central.com; if there is one you should find it there.
The benefit of your primary school is that you get some exclusive spells that other schools do not, and when you have power pips they apply only to your primary school (basically they double your power).
As you level up your wizard he/she will gain bonuses which typically benefit your primary school (Though you can craft gear that helps with 2 schools).

A secondary school is used to augment your spell deck; you could obtain shields or buffs to help boost your attacks. Most people choose either life to obtain Satyr for healing; Ice to obtain Tower shield and fire/storm shield; Death to obtain feint and life/myth shield.
A secondary school can also be used as a back-up attack school and there are many different strategies you can use. Life has high accuracy and storm generally does more damage so you may choose one to offset the weaknesses of your primary school.

Once you reach Celestia you can also get Star, Moon and Sun spells so save a few training points. You can earn more training points in Celestia.

I would suggest you choose only 1 secondary school at the beginning, then when you reach Mushoo you can add a third if you like.

*You can restore your spell points by paying Mr. Lincoln in crowns though it is a relatively expensive price. So if you make bad choices and then later change your mind there is a way to reset your spells.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
The "penalty" for spells in secondary schools is that a Power (yellow) Pip for spells in those schools is treated as a single pip. You can get around that by purchasing a Mastery Amulet for that school from the Crowns Shop. Wearing a Life Mastery Amulet for a specific school means that Power Pips are treated as two pips for spells cast in that school.

It's necessarily a good idea to learn all available spells from one specific secondary school of the original seven offered (The Astral schools Moon, Sun, and Star are a different matter). A better idea is to take the spells most useful to your wizard from several schools and learn those spells. Of course, you also need to learn and keep the spells prior to the spell needed. For example, it would cost 5 training points to learn Ice's Tower Shield.

Here is a short list of original school spells that are popular, with the necessary training points in parentheses):

Ice: Tower Shield (5). This all-purpose shield blocks 50% damage of most spells. In learning this, you also get the useful Volcanic Shield.

Life: Satyr (7). Heals for 860 and can be used on yourself or others. In learning this, you also get the useful Legend Shield, Sprite, and Spirit Armor spells. Many who train this also buy a Life Mastery Amulet to better use Power Pips.

Death: Feint (7). This spell gives a 70% boost to spells cast on the target. Unfortunately, it also puts a 30% trap on yourself. You also get Dream Shield and some Lifestealing spells.

Balance: Elemental Blade (35% blades for Ice, Storm, and Fire) Elemental Trap (25% for same), Spirit Blade (35% blades for Myth, Life, and Death), Spirit Trap (25% for same), and Reshuffle (resets your spell deck; useful for long battles) cost 1 Training Point each and are popular with many wizards. Being a Balance wizard, you get these spells already.

With Mastery Amulets, many wizards are now learning the entire sequence of schools like Storm. By buying a Storm Mastery Amulet, they can now cast a spell like Titan for only three Power Pips. The drawback to that is that the school blades and traps aren't available to wizards outside of that school, so buffing those spells can be a bit limited

Astral Spells: These are popular now, and many wizards learn the entire sequence for one school.

Survivor
Aug 16, 2010
Thanks for all the great advice. I am really in a pickle now. So many choices. I am still thinking balance/death, but now that I know about the defenses in each school its making me rethink things. I am trying to learn as much as possible to teach my kids so they can start playing. Looks like I am really going to need learn all the cards. The idea of all of the defenses is a great idea, but what about Offense. What do you do for damage? Can you get all the defenses AND pick up a secondary school for a second damage type? Or wait till the Sun, Moon, Star schools. Just wish there was a planner out there. Anyone good with coding that can make one? J/K. I may have to learn myself!

Survivor
Aug 26, 2008
Most people take life to saytr for their secondary school, death to feint for third school, and either ice to tower shield or elemental/spirit blades/traps and reshuffle for their fourth. But always go with what YOU want.