Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Passing in game duels

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 27, 2011
I was wondering how the points are distributed when more than one wizard is in a duel.

I had two wizards join me in duels and added more opponents, then, they continually passed and I had to kill all three opponents. Does this mean that they took credit for all of my kills?

I just want to know if I should flee if this happens again. I am OK with wizards joining as sometimes this is by accident. I am not OK with wizards joining, adding opponents and then doing nothing.

Please explain how this works. I may just start fleeing when I get a lazy wizard (non)helper.

Mastermind
Feb 16, 2009
tvanwell wrote:
I was wondering how the points are distributed when more than one wizard is in a duel.

I had two wizards join me in duels and added more opponents, then, they continually passed and I had to kill all three opponents. Does this mean that they took credit for all of my kills?

I just want to know if I should flee if this happens again. I am OK with wizards joining as sometimes this is by accident. I am not OK with wizards joining, adding opponents and then doing nothing.

Please explain how this works. I may just start fleeing when I get a lazy wizard (non)helper.

Unfortunately, piggybackers will recieve quest credit for monster kills and/or collection, even if they don't do a thing, however they will not receive any experince.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
It is best to kill them off and not flee if you can handle as you'll loose any credit, but fleee if you must. You will find that children under say 7 do this, who knows why parental unit watching doesn't teach them the right thing to do...or they are acting with the maturity of a six year old.

Best suggestion though is to go to a less populated world, as the players who do this sort of thing usually aren't educated enough to know how to reach them.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2009
Superwiz1560 wrote:
tvanwell wrote:

Unfortunately, piggybackers will receive quest credit for monster kills and/or collection, even if they don't do a thing, however they will not receive any experience.

That would be frustrating. If they start passing, start passing as well - that's what I do. It forces them to make a choice: keep passing and die, or start helping. But if you can still take them out, you should. You get extra points, I think.

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
The only time i used to pass is when someone else joined my battle without my permission and I was just about done killing the mob. That way he or she could get credit for the one enemy they bought in.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Explorer
Feb 19, 2011
Two valid reasons why a player might pass for many rounds ...

(1) they've lost their connection and are waiting for it to come back,

(2) they're saving up for a big spell that will end the fight in one shot.

I think the strategy in 2 is anti-social myself but some quite experienced players seem to like to play that way.

I've found that if I lose my connection the best thing to do is to close the wizard101 program down from the system and restart it - much quicker than waiting for the software to sort itself out. But not everyone knows how to do that or is allowed to use the system tools needed.

If you're offended by players that do this sort of thing then one option is to use pacify spells to get the mobs to attack them instead of you. If they're defeated they'll get no credit.

Explorer
Mar 09, 2011
responding to the last response i have to say i've been guilty of passing in battle a couple of times usually for only one of two reasons.
1) i went into battle very low on mana or got sucked into a battle.
2)this reason i have to chime in with the last post.i have been guilty of passing a couple of times usually only when i have no o pip spells to throw out or by throwing one it would mess up someone elses trap,i will also pass if i see someone working on a big spell of their own.
3)sometimes i will pass also if i need to get pips for a pixie or health regeneration spell.

i would have to say 2&3 are the most common reasons for me anyway to pass during a battle especially against a real tough boss.

i try to be as courteous as possible with wizards i join a battle with as i would hope for the same from them,sometimes though there is a reason why someone passes other times its just greed.
as you put wizards on your friends list you will see who the helpers are and who the takers are.i even watch the dialogue sometimes before joining a side battle if i can just to see what kind of players are battling,this may not be a group i want to play with or maybe it is.
as an older player i do have the patience to do this,some younger players do not and just rush in without having a game plan.just my opinon though!

Defender
Aug 06, 2010
You can tell when someone loses connection, the wizard is frozen and he times out into a pass situation. Whether they are hit or not, still frozen and the pips light up... So passing on purpose is different.

I've had non-texters pass and some will menu chat "waiting for pips" or "low on mana" or "i need healing." I like that some do that, and I say "ok" back.

I do try to find out what the other wizards intentions are - especially if they can text. I'll ask if they want the kill, or how many of the enemies do they need to kill.

In either case, I would finish the fight. As I move to the side, I'd watch to see what they do... do they go first on another fight? Then I will ask if they need help. If they just stand there, maybe waiting for me to go first, I will ask them if they need more, or need help.

I don't assume that any who join me and pass are piggybackers.