Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

We are aware of the recent Heartbleed Bug internet vulnerability issue and can confirm that none of the KingsIsle systems or websites were impacted. If you wish to have further clarification about the bug itself visit http://heartbleed.com.

Parental controls.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
3
Parental controls.
Is there any way I can meter the time or setup scheduled times that my child can play the game?

Administrator
Re: Parental controls.
While Wizard101 does not currently offer this function, there are tools online for parents to monitor and limit their child's online activity.

The best way you can determine how much time your child is playing Wizard101, is to play with them! There's a rich environment that all ages enjoy, and we encourage parents to check out the game for themselves before they introduce it to their children.

Thank you for your suggestion, and see you in Wizard City!
~Professor Greyrose


community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
3
Re: Parental controls.
Yeah.... nope as this just isn't the game for me. Aside from the fact that I'm a single dad and can't be there 100% of the time to monitor usage. I guess I'm left with one option and that is to change her password and filter the mac address of her system in my router.

What ports are required to make this game work so that I can filter them out to her mac address and if there are too many or they conflict with other things then I guess I can set it to block all access.

Unfortunate but she has been slumping in school. Till her grades reflect what she had been getting prior to getting into this game.

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
10
Re: Parental controls.
hinshaw1 wrote:
Is there any way I can meter the time or setup scheduled times that my child can play the game?


As Professor Greyrose said, you can certainly play with them. The game is fun, even for adults. However, barring that, you certainly can schedule the amount of time your cjild can play... by telling them when they can get on and making them get off when you say. That's part of basic parenting, it's called discipline.

If you're concerned about your child going behind your back, you can lock your computer, requiring a password to log in, and then not give them said password.

I don't really mean to be offensive, but your question is that of a parent who doesn't know what it means to be a parent, or to discipline a child. YOU, the adult, have control. Never let your children think otherwise.

Administrator
Re: Parental controls.
The ports that Wizard101 uses are:

tcp 12000 for login,
tcp 12500 for patch,
tcp/udp 12000-12999 for the game

{o,o}
  |)_)
 -?-?-
Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
3
Re: Parental controls.
Thank you for the port list.

I would like to state that I do know what it is to be a parent. One of those is not only control but being able to enforce control. A tech savvy child can make that more of a challenge when there are six fully functional computers in the house. I have got the password changed as well as changed the password on the e-mail account. However in the event that access is granted again to the game I want the ability to stop access from the router. I also have an autistic son who likes to use the computer. I really hate to cut his access simply because of his sister's actions. He has enough problems without me putting a password on his system.

I wouldn't put it past her to create a new free account to play the game. Thus the need for the ports.

So perhaps Dramm needs to look a bit further into what children are capable of. Aside from the fact that as I said I'm a single dad I also work a full time job with overtime. I can't be there all the time that the children are at home. The eldest has homework that he does as well as watching his autistic brother. To also expect that he watch his 12yr old sister constantly would be too much.

As for me playing this game? No. There is another game that I play when I have time available that provides me with a game experience that I prefer over Wizard101. But yes Dramm I did find your statement offensive but after some thought it was simply that you didn't put any thought into your statement. You gave no thought as to what my circumstances were and what the situation is. Please reflect on that before making accusations or assumptions.

{edited to clean up the grammar some}

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
10
Re: Parental controls.
hinshaw1 wrote:
Thank you for the port list.

I would like to state that I do know what it is to be a parent. One of those is not only control but being able to enforce control. A tech savvy child can make that more of a challenge when there are six fully functional computers in the house. I have got the password changed as well as changed the password on the e-mail account. However in the event that access is granted again to the game I want the ability to stop access from the router. I also have an autistic son who likes to use the computer. I really hate to cut his access simply because of his sister's actions. He has enough problems without me putting a password on his system.

I wouldn't put it past her to create a new free account to play the game. Thus the need for the ports.

So perhaps Dramm needs to look a bit further into what children are capable of. Aside from the fact that as I said I'm a single dad I also work a full time job with overtime. I can't be there all the time that the children are at home. The eldest has homework that he does as well as watching his autistic brother. To also expect that he watch his 12yr old sister constantly would be too much.

As for me playing this game? No. There is another game that I play when I have time available that provides me with a game experience that I prefer over Wizard101. But yes Dramm I did find your statement offensive but after some thought it was simply that you didn't put any thought into your statement. You gave no thought as to what my circumstances were and what the situation is. Please reflect on that before making accusations or assumptions.

{edited to clean up the grammar some}


Different solutions from different people / upbringing. Take this as you like...

The oldest can monitor both siblings AND do his homework at the same time. With your daughter, all he has to do is watch and see what she's doing every now and then. I assume, since his little sister is 12, that he's a teenager, which means he needs to be intriduced to greater responsibility in the household anyway, considering that he's the man of the house while you're not around. That's not asking too much at all. That's building his character.

Your daughter, at 12, should fully understand rules and consequences. If you, as a parent, set a rule, and she breaks it; you should enforce consequences. I would think that's already the case, but your concern is that she'll break your restrictions while you're not around. Her brother can help by monitoring her, and you can enforce stricter consequences the more she breaks restrictions. I used to get things that I enjoyed / cared for taken away for prolonged periods of time, AND a spanking... from my single mother. I listened to her readily because of consequences for not doing so.

As for tech savvy... here's a suggestion she can't break that fits your abilities, considering that you're acquainted with blocking IP addresses: Block ALL computers as an administrator. Give your children user accounts only. That way, she can't download anything without your administrative password. It doesn't hinder her, or your sons', abilities to get on the internet for research and MS office use. Problem solved.

As for playing another game, instead of Wizard 101 with your daughter... that's obviously your choice. The more involved you are with your daughter, the more you'll understand her and how she thinks, and possibly bond with her better and be able to use that bond to teach her to be responsible, prioritize, and to respect authority.

As a single parent, especially with the responsibility / workload that you have, discipline should be your watchword. It was for my mother, and she raised me with only a few gray hairs to show for it. I learned to hate consequences, and therefore to not break rules.

As I said, take it as you will.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
402
Re: Parental controls.
hinshaw1 wrote:
Thank you for the port list.

I would like to state that I do know what it is to be a parent. One of those is not only control but being able to enforce control. A tech savvy child can make that more of a challenge when there are six fully functional computers in the house. I have got the password changed as well as changed the password on the e-mail account. However in the event that access is granted again to the game I want the ability to stop access from the router.
I wouldn't put it past her to create a new free account to play the game. Thus the need for the ports.

So perhaps Dramm needs to look a bit further into what children are capable of. Aside from the fact that as I said I'm a single dad I also work a full time job with overtime. I can't be there all the time that the children are at home. The eldest has homework that he does as well as watching his autistic brother. To also expect that he watch his 12yr old sister constantly would be too much.

As for me playing this game? No. There is another game that I play when I have time available that provides me with a game experience that I prefer over Wizard101. But yes Dramm I did find your statement offensive but after some thought it was simply that you didn't put any thought into your statement. You gave no thought as to what my circumstances were and what the situation is. Please reflect on that before making accusations or assumptions.

{edited to clean up the grammar some}


Bravo! Good for you for taking this hands on approach. I totally get it!

I am a parent and I have a child who is no slouch when it comes to computers and even a stay at home mom can not watch a child 100 percent.

Good for Gamma for providing the tools.

This game is addictive, because it is more than just a game but a part of their social network so, as the phone and tv goes so does wizard 101

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
402
Re: Parental controls.
And Dramm,

Just so you GET IT, I too think you are out of line telling this man what he needs to do. He has made a decision about his course of action (a reasonable one might I add) and its NOT YOUR PLACE TO TELL HIM HOW TO PARENT.

If that post was how YOU handle YOUR children, I will defer to your first line second post and say that now all children or families are the same.

His solution is great for him, and unless you are pointing out a feature in the game he isn't aware of (like how to suspend a account) then you are out of line. No need to respond, no one is saying anything about your parenting, just that your style (while perfect for you?) is not so brilliant that it was worth lecturing this man about his own situation. AND that is exactly what you did.

As a parent and wizard, I would like say that this is a fun game but as in all things "fun" if a child is not doing there part (ie school work and studies and chores) than it too must be modified. I congradulate any parent who looks to this with ADULT EYES.

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
679
Re: Parental controls.
Dramm wrote:
hinshaw1 wrote:
Thank you for the port list.

I would like to state that I do know what it is to be a parent. One of those is not only control but being able to enforce control. A tech savvy child can make that more of a challenge when there are six fully functional computers in the house. I have got the password changed as well as changed the password on the e-mail account. However in the event that access is granted again to the game I want the ability to stop access from the router. I also have an autistic son who likes to use the computer. I really hate to cut his access simply because of his sister's actions. He has enough problems without me putting a password on his system.

I wouldn't put it past her to create a new free account to play the game. Thus the need for the ports.

So perhaps Dramm needs to look a bit further into what children are capable of. Aside from the fact that as I said I'm a single dad I also work a full time job with overtime. I can't be there all the time that the children are at home. The eldest has homework that he does as well as watching his autistic brother. To also expect that he watch his 12yr old sister constantly would be too much.

As for me playing this game? No. There is another game that I play when I have time available that provides me with a game experience that I prefer over Wizard101. But yes Dramm I did find your statement offensive but after some thought it was simply that you didn't put any thought into your statement. You gave no thought as to what my circumstances were and what the situation is. Please reflect on that before making accusations or assumptions.

{edited to clean up the grammar some}


Different solutions from different people / upbringing. Take this as you like...

The oldest can monitor both siblings AND do his homework at the same time. With your daughter, all he has to do is watch and see what she's doing every now and then. I assume, since his little sister is 12, that he's a teenager, which means he needs to be intriduced to greater responsibility in the household anyway, considering that he's the man of the house while you're not around. That's not asking too much at all. That's building his character.

Your daughter, at 12, should fully understand rules and consequences. If you, as a parent, set a rule, and she breaks it; you should enforce consequences. I would think that's already the case, but your concern is that she'll break your restrictions while you're not around. Her brother can help by monitoring her, and you can enforce stricter consequences the more she breaks restrictions. I used to get things that I enjoyed / cared for taken away for prolonged periods of time, AND a spanking... from my single mother. I listened to her readily because of consequences for not doing so.

As for tech savvy... here's a suggestion she can't break that fits your abilities, considering that you're acquainted with blocking IP addresses: Block ALL computers as an administrator. Give your children user accounts only. That way, she can't download anything without your administrative password. It doesn't hinder her, or your sons', abilities to get on the internet for research and MS office use. Problem solved.

As for playing another game, instead of Wizard 101 with your daughter... that's obviously your choice. The more involved you are with your daughter, the more you'll understand her and how she thinks, and possibly bond with her better and be able to use that bond to teach her to be responsible, prioritize, and to respect authority.

As a single parent, especially with the responsibility / workload that you have, discipline should be your watchword. It was for my mother, and she raised me with only a few gray hairs to show for it. I learned to hate consequences, and therefore to not break rules.

As I said, take it as you will.


It is obvious that you must not be a parent, because if you were, you would no that it is impossible to monitor any child 24/7, especially today and a single parent. I find your remarks also rude and disturbing to suggest that this person is not a good parent. He must be if he is taking extra precautions to ensure his childs safety. For you to make such inappropriate comments is uncalled for.

This gentle is merely seeking information to ensure that his child(ren) are safe and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. He does not have to justify to you or anyone his reasoning for his questions or comments.

Maybe you should have children before you offer advice.