Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Packs for a new player?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 27, 2018
Are there any packs that have a chance for gear that would be appropriate for a beginning player to buy? Would any gear in a pack be so high level that I wouldn't be able to use it for months, or would it be assigned to my level, and then I would outgrow it in a week?

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
ArcadiaKent on Aug 7, 2018 wrote:
Are there any packs that have a chance for gear that would be appropriate for a beginning player to buy? Would any gear in a pack be so high level that I wouldn't be able to use it for months, or would it be assigned to my level, and then I would outgrow it in a week?
It scales to your level at buying of buying said pack.
Most of the time, there are crafted/farmed gear that are better for your level.
(Exception being the Jade gear, who at later levels will make you an absolute tank)

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
ArcadiaKent on Aug 7, 2018 wrote:
The pack gear I use is mainly energy sets but I only think they're worth it at higher levels. You can get the fishing gear set for arena tickets by doing a few PvP tournaments. Don't worry if you're not very good or lose every match, you'll still get loads of tickets just for being part of it, so have some fun with it! The guy outside the arena sells fishing gear that gives fishing luck and energy. The energy can be used for fishing, gardening or pet training. It's not exclusively for fishing.

At level 50 the Pixie Encanta Energy set is good. It comes from the Hoard of the Hydra pack. The best energy gear for above that level is the Snowdrifter's Energy gear from the Winter Wonderland pack; if that's not available (it's a seasonal pack) there is the Greenwarden's Energetic gear from the Wyvern's Hoard pack. All 3 of these packs come with a chance to win some permanent mounts, so while you're getting your set you might get lucky with a cool mount too!

My main pack gear is the energy gear, but there is also the Jade gear which gives high universal resist so is great for tanks. Also the Jack Hallow's wands from the Harrowing Nightmare pack (seaonal) give high critical and could be useful (check your stats though). Jade and Jack Hallows are only worth the price at high levels though.

What my wizzys do for gear:

Level 0-30 Just use drops and things bought from the bazaar; get fishing set for arena ticket as energy gear. Try to get a wand from the bazaar that gives a pip at the start of the battle.

Level 30 Farm Mount Olympus for the Zeus gear, use Sky Iron Hasta wand

Level 50 Change fishing gear for the Pixie Encanta energy set

Level 60 Farm Waterworks for the gear set

Level 100 Change Pixie Encanta set for Greenwardens energy gear. Farm Darkmoor for Malistaire gear.

Other gear (athame etc) I change out for good drops, bazaar or crafting.

This is just a rough guide to what I do and other people may have better suggestions but this works for me. I hope it helps

Survivor
Jul 27, 2018
Thanks for all of the help. I think I will just buy gear from the Bazaar for a while.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
For questing gear, the best crowns pack in terms of $$ efficiency balanced with good stats, is the Professor's Hoard.

The gear is leveled to where you are and both the hats and boots drop frequently. They provide damage, defense, accuracy, pips and health. The wands are super for adding damage. Below level 30, this is probably the best set available from crowns packs. Also, a lot of 7-day and even permanent mounts drop from this pack. You can get useful gear from the Professor's Hoard very quickly, without having to spend a fortune.

I would recommend doing that up to level 30, then follow Victoria's advice for gear at level 30 and beyond.

Alia Misthaven

Defender
Jul 24, 2011
I wouldn't open packs until max level. Here's what I did:

1-29: Buy bazaar gear
30-59: Farm and use Mount Olympus gear
60-99: Farm and use Waterworks gear
100-125: Farm and use Darkmoor gear

Once you reach level 125, using pack gear becomes a better option.

Survivor
Jul 27, 2018
Thanks for all of the ideas and I will look into the Professor's Hoard pack.