Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Over leveled is bad!!!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 01, 2013
There are some posts asking if their wizard is overleveled, such as level 50 in Mooshu. The replies are that it doesn't matter, that bosses will be easier to defeat. However, I have a lvl 60 freind who is still in Dragonspyre. He has done every single side quest that he can possibly do at his level. Which means all those side quests that people ignore in Krokatopia, Marleybone, and Mooshu. He does not have a single quest in Grizzleheim. Now what level requirement is most Dragonspyre gear? 45. The best possible gear in Dragonspyre is far away from his level. What about the other level 60s in Celestia, able to get much better gear? When I think about this, I see I have made this mistake with my wizard. So I have created a wizard, and will do minimal side quests.

Delver
Aug 31, 2012
You can just get a friend to port you to the next world so that you can get gear. Or the bazaar usually has most gear up to around level 85. Right now, my level 48 storm still has level 30 zeus gear, and I'm waiting for level 60 for waterworks gear.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Seth Silvershard on Aug 12, 2015 wrote:
There are some posts asking if their wizard is overleveled, such as level 50 in Mooshu. The replies are that it doesn't matter, that bosses will be easier to defeat. However, I have a lvl 60 freind who is still in Dragonspyre. He has done every single side quest that he can possibly do at his level. Which means all those side quests that people ignore in Krokatopia, Marleybone, and Mooshu. He does not have a single quest in Grizzleheim. Now what level requirement is most Dragonspyre gear? 45. The best possible gear in Dragonspyre is far away from his level. What about the other level 60s in Celestia, able to get much better gear? When I think about this, I see I have made this mistake with my wizard. So I have created a wizard, and will do minimal side quests.
there is no such thing as being over/underleveled; yes, certain worlds are recommended for certain levels, but there is no definitive "good" or bad".

i have 6 wizards at level 60 or higher; only one has completed both main and side quests simply because i found side quests to be boring and repetitive).

you/r friend both have 2 options: at this level, you can either pick up the quest for waterworks (level 60 elite gear) from blad raveneye or level up his crafting skill (assuming that you've completed all of grizzleheim to this point, you should be able to pick up the wintertusk entry quest and get to the level 56 crafted gear). you only need one wizard to craft for an entire account, so it would be in your best interest to do this.

all of my other wizards stick to the main arc only and did not complete any side quests. my main wizard crafted the level 56 sets for all of them (except my legendary ice, who is not on my main account and will be crafting her own gear).

hope this helps.

-von

exalted
arch
legend
magus

Defender
Mar 31, 2014
I think side quests are there for the story and all to make sense... so if you're like me interested in the story and what's going on you'll do them all before moving on - they make more sense storywise to do them now. :)

Survivor
Jul 05, 2010
Can you really reach level 60 still being in dragonspyre and have yet to start grizzleheim? O:

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
Being overleveled isn't bad. Not being able to get the best gear is a completely false statement. Ever heard of the Bazaar? If your level is high enough, you'll be able to do Wintertusk and get the crafted gear, or you might be able to access the Waterworks. There is literally no downside to being overleveled. If you want to have a challenge, you can choose to not get the best gear, you can choose to not get new spells until later, anything of the sort. Please, try to convince me that being overleveled is bad. You won't be able to.

Defender
Mar 28, 2011
I'd rather be 'over' level than just squeaking by, and I want to do all the side quests to get the most from the game, regardless of my level.

The normal level of dropped gear in a main world doesn't much matter since you generally won't be using it. More level is more fun IMO. You don't struggle with content as much, d&c quests go faster, and you get defeated less often.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
lewski on Aug 13, 2015 wrote:
Being overleveled isn't bad. Not being able to get the best gear is a completely false statement. Ever heard of the Bazaar? If your level is high enough, you'll be able to do Wintertusk and get the crafted gear, or you might be able to access the Waterworks. There is literally no downside to being overleveled. If you want to have a challenge, you can choose to not get the best gear, you can choose to not get new spells until later, anything of the sort. Please, try to convince me that being overleveled is bad. You won't be able to.
It really depends on where you are in the game. Being overleveled becomes a throw away of most XP at some point. If you hit 100 before Khrysalis for example, which is easily possible. You are wasting all further experience by continuing to play before the level limit is raised. Many of my wizards are exalted with most side quests not collected for this reason. I have completed them, but I won't turn them in until the level limit is raised. Especially true for the high experience side quests in Aquila and Khrysalis.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
seethe42 on Aug 14, 2015 wrote:
It really depends on where you are in the game. Being overleveled becomes a throw away of most XP at some point. If you hit 100 before Khrysalis for example, which is easily possible. You are wasting all further experience by continuing to play before the level limit is raised. Many of my wizards are exalted with most side quests not collected for this reason. I have completed them, but I won't turn them in until the level limit is raised. Especially true for the high experience side quests in Aquila and Khrysalis.
I've heard others say this. All of my Max characters have done all side quests and have been Max Level long before finishing a previous world. My balance *might* hit 100 before getting INTO Khrysalis. I'm still going to Quest and do side quests, because so far each new world has offered enough XP to hit the new Max, with only doing some of the side quests. Maybe it's because I usually solo, so fight more mobs to do collect quests than those who have questing partners, but *for me* I'll keep questing because I like the storyline, all of it.

I do understand why others feel differently, though.