Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

not much challange to the game anymore

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
49
hi, i am a grand mom who LOVED this game after watching my 5 1/2 yr old grandson play it june 2009. 2 days later we had a year subscription, at christmas added a second account. This june, i paid for another year for the first account, treated us to some crowns at the sale too.
Ok number 11 wizard was in ds when changes went thru, she did secure house as 4 levels only, no minions over 1000 (they had been 1200-1300), Fr Drake was shorter too. Helped a friend in East/West counterweights- WOW now only 4 levels ! (someone blow the floors up?) and only 2 bad guys per room- no extras entered with more wizards
Pet business started so didnt play last new wizard much, plus i was leaving him for my now 6 1/2 yr old to play. We didnt realiz that there were more BIG changes till we got new Fire into MB- always we needed 8 of this or that bad guy , now only 4 !! why half it? 6 i could see, but 4? for first time EVER i got all drops on first try? TOO TOO EASY.
Now have Cody doing SCotland Yard- now we only need 3 !! bad guys !! I'm wondering if i should keep going, I am BORED, I have earned well over 2 Million in gold to hatch, playing more than a year, I have plenty of houses, mounts, etc. Working badges till Celestia, BUT now i wonder, will there be a challange?
I dont recall seeing THAT many complaints about difficulty ! I thought the game encouraged cooperation, etc, NOW may as well solo it all
If my 5 1/2 , now 6 1/2 year old could be the awesome player he has been under the 'older harder' way, why make it so easy that he is bored? and so am I. My grandson had to listen to the instructions since he could not read last year, even now (he entering first grade) he cannot read much. YET he played this game as well as anyone did.
I can understand easing up in places but it seems like too much was taken away. Dont know how and if I will continue, this has lost alot of my thrill with the game.
DOnt know how others feel but cutting away at the game like this , i think is going to cause many to drift away come renewal time. Little kids maybe now will stay but the older ones? and the adults? give us something to challange and i dont mean a tower here and there where the bosses cheat whatever. I mean the whole world is fun again
Sorry but I am in mb as i writer and just got the get 3 gearheads after getting the 3 spiders and i am Like SHEEZZ , I be done in no time AGAIN.
SOrry to vent

Delver
Mar 18, 2010
260
I think the change is good for kids and others players with limited time to be playing. My son plays and during the school year he has about an hour a day to play. He was getting so frustrated because he wasn't progressing. Some of the quests took a long time and many days for him to complete because his time is so limited. Now he is quite happy because he just reached level 44 and the quests go better for him.

I realize for some the game is less difficult. It is hard to strike a balance that works for the most people.

I thank KI for being so responsive to their players and being willing to tune and tweak their wonderful game.

Megan F

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
333
eganham wrote:
hi, i am a grand mom who LOVED this game after watching my 5 1/2 yr old grandson play it june 2009. 2 days later we had a year subscription, at christmas added a second account. This june, i paid for another year for the first account, treated us to some crowns at the sale too.
Ok number 11 wizard was in ds when changes went thru, she did secure house as 4 levels only, no minions over 1000 (they had been 1200-1300), Fr Drake was shorter too. Helped a friend in East/West counterweights- WOW now only 4 levels ! (someone blow the floors up?) and only 2 bad guys per room- no extras entered with more wizards
Pet business started so didnt play last new wizard much, plus i was leaving him for my now 6 1/2 yr old to play. We didnt realiz that there were more BIG changes till we got new Fire into MB- always we needed 8 of this or that bad guy , now only 4 !! why half it? 6 i could see, but 4? for first time EVER i got all drops on first try? TOO TOO EASY.
Now have Cody doing SCotland Yard- now we only need 3 !! bad guys !! I'm wondering if i should keep going, I am BORED, I have earned well over 2 Million in gold to hatch, playing more than a year, I have plenty of houses, mounts, etc. Working badges till Celestia, BUT now i wonder, will there be a challange?
I dont recall seeing THAT many complaints about difficulty ! I thought the game encouraged cooperation, etc, NOW may as well solo it all
If my 5 1/2 , now 6 1/2 year old could be the awesome player he has been under the 'older harder' way, why make it so easy that he is bored? and so am I. My grandson had to listen to the instructions since he could not read last year, even now (he entering first grade) he cannot read much. YET he played this game as well as anyone did.
I can understand easing up in places but it seems like too much was taken away. Dont know how and if I will continue, this has lost alot of my thrill with the game.
DOnt know how others feel but cutting away at the game like this , i think is going to cause many to drift away come renewal time. Little kids maybe now will stay but the older ones? and the adults? give us something to challange and i dont mean a tower here and there where the bosses cheat whatever. I mean the whole world is fun again
Sorry but I am in mb as i writer and just got the get 3 gearheads after getting the 3 spiders and i am Like SHEEZZ , I be done in no time AGAIN.
SOrry to vent


So you are complaining because you think the games is to easy for you? Well by the number of post in these forums, not to many people agree with you that the game is to easy. I guess you are on of those lucky ones that breeze through every single game in no time.

I doubt KI will make the game harder because you want it to be for you. To many people are complaing how hard it is now. So if this rated E game ages 5 and up is to easy for you then I would say pick a harder MMO to play. Like one of them Hardcore MMO's, like World of Warcraft, Runes of Magic, and maybe even Perfect World. This game is designed for kids, KI does not want the game to be impossible for MOST of the younger folk because more adults play it.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1205
A few things of note here... you have to be aware that as time passes the newer generation of kids need to have everything handed to them and we should understand that they want everything immediately, easily, and now. To that end Wizard101 has made it so anyone with a subscription can port into the upper worlds as long as they have a friend there and ample balance and other blades have been added to ensure that everyone overkills everything in a few short turns. Cheats have been taken out, numbers of stuff needed have been taken out, floors have been taken out and adventures shortened, and all of this people are complaining everything is still to hard and takes too long to advance. It should really be that if you own a subscription you shouldn't have to level a character from level one to grandmaster, you should be able to play a grandmaster character immediately and go everywhere with it. I don't understand what is taking Wizard101 so long in understanding this and simply let everyone create grandmasters if that is what they desire to do as they have memberships and should have full access to everything immediately including being a grandmaster.

If you don't want everything handed to you, then perhaps you should try a different game.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
892
You bring up valid points. "Nerfing" the game is simply a way to placate those who cry foul at having challenges. What most game admins fail to realize is when the challenges are removed,boredom is the final result. When people get bored,they simply go elsewhere. Many internet games have fallen victim to this. KI is on a disturbing trend . They may think they are invincible and can do no wrong,but it will come back and haunt them in the long run. Everquest and Star Wars are just a couple of classic examples. Hopefully KI will wake up before it's too late,but their current course suggests otherwise.

Delver
Jan 29, 2009
234
eganham wrote:
hi, i am a grand mom who LOVED this game after watching my 5 1/2 yr old grandson play it june 2009. 2 days later we had a year subscription, at christmas added a second account. This june, i paid for another year for the first account, treated us to some crowns at the sale too.
Ok number 11 wizard was in ds when changes went thru, she did secure house as 4 levels only, no minions over 1000 (they had been 1200-1300), Fr Drake was shorter too. Helped a friend in East/West counterweights- WOW now only 4 levels ! (someone blow the floors up?) and only 2 bad guys per room- no extras entered with more wizards
Pet business started so didnt play last new wizard much, plus i was leaving him for my now 6 1/2 yr old to play. We didnt realiz that there were more BIG changes till we got new Fire into MB- always we needed 8 of this or that bad guy , now only 4 !! why half it? 6 i could see, but 4? for first time EVER i got all drops on first try? TOO TOO EASY.
Now have Cody doing SCotland Yard- now we only need 3 !! bad guys !! I'm wondering if i should keep going, I am BORED, I have earned well over 2 Million in gold to hatch, playing more than a year, I have plenty of houses, mounts, etc. Working badges till Celestia, BUT now i wonder, will there be a challange?
I dont recall seeing THAT many complaints about difficulty ! I thought the game encouraged cooperation, etc, NOW may as well solo it all
If my 5 1/2 , now 6 1/2 year old could be the awesome player he has been under the 'older harder' way, why make it so easy that he is bored? and so am I. My grandson had to listen to the instructions since he could not read last year, even now (he entering first grade) he cannot read much. YET he played this game as well as anyone did.
I can understand easing up in places but it seems like too much was taken away. Dont know how and if I will continue, this has lost alot of my thrill with the game.
DOnt know how others feel but cutting away at the game like this , i think is going to cause many to drift away come renewal time. Little kids maybe now will stay but the older ones? and the adults? give us something to challange and i dont mean a tower here and there where the bosses cheat whatever. I mean the whole world is fun again
Sorry but I am in mb as i writer and just got the get 3 gearheads after getting the 3 spiders and i am Like SHEEZZ , I be done in no time AGAIN.
SOrry to vent
i know,right

Defender
Aug 15, 2009
164
I can relate and it also seems like the towers in DS are way too watered down, yet they want to come up with these hard as heck towers that has the greatest majority complaining like the warehouse and briskbreeze. Seems like there is no "happy medium".

Survivor
Feb 03, 2009
3
What needs to be done is not cut things in half but may be just a little, i have been playing the game when it started love to i am a grandpa my kids showed the game to me, i got hooked on it and got friends to join to, all i am saying is put some stuff back and as far as starting as grand masters you nuts, work for it, if a area, is to hard for you that is when you get help that is what this game is all about, to meet others and have fun to. so go out there and have some.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1205
Firefan02 wrote:
I think the change is good for kids and others players with limited time to be playing. My son plays and during the school year he has about an hour a day to play. He was getting so frustrated because he wasn't progressing. Some of the quests took a long time and many days for him to complete because his time is so limited. Now he is quite happy because he just reached level 44 and the quests go better for him.

I realize for some the game is less difficult. It is hard to strike a balance that works for the most people.

I thank KI for being so responsive to their players and being willing to tune and tweak their wonderful game.

Megan F


It would be better if Wizard101 came out with a fast track server that allowed everyone on it to level up fast and shortened towers and items/creatures needed and the like so that those who have limitted time could enjoy it and feel accomplishment. This would allow the regular server to be played by those with more time who prefer more of a challenge and harder material.

Explorer
Dec 10, 2009
50
this is for Drifter,
drifter what we said was that they have changed and made it too easy, not just easier. there are a few areas that were very difficult- i think more because you could not mark and port back, or have a friend port in to help.

if my grand son last year at 5 1/2 could build 2 grand masters, and he could not read, etc, then the game wasnt so hard to warrant cutting it in half.
yes it takes time, but that is what a game like this is, a building on character game. why rush through? what is left? badges yes, now you get to take even longer getting some lol - gets a bit boring unless friends around to talk to, but we do it, earning gold too for hatching

this is pushed as a family game these days once KI realized the impact on adults playing with their kids, and i know many adults the past year playing and they not have children.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2010
23
seasnake wrote:
A few things of note here... you have to be aware that as time passes the newer generation of kids need to have everything handed to them and we should understand that they want everything immediately, easily, and now.

I can relate. My 19 year old asked me to set an alarm clock for her the other day, standard two bell alarm clock, because she didn't know how. Or said she didn't know how, more likely. Four years ago she knew how, but now her generation is as you describe. *sigh*

Mastermind
Jun 07, 2010
333
kiranda wrote:
this is for Drifter,
drifter what we said was that they have changed and made it too easy, not just easier. there are a few areas that were very difficult- i think more because you could not mark and port back, or have a friend port in to help.

if my grand son last year at 5 1/2 could build 2 grand masters, and he could not read, etc, then the game wasnt so hard to warrant cutting it in half.
yes it takes time, but that is what a game like this is, a building on character game. why rush through? what is left? badges yes, now you get to take even longer getting some lol - gets a bit boring unless friends around to talk to, but we do it, earning gold too for hatching

this is pushed as a family game these days once KI realized the impact on adults playing with their kids, and i know many adults the past year playing and they not have children.


Ok, alright I see your point. I was browsing the message boards like I always do every day, and yes, by the looks of one post I read, more adults play W101 then kids, well, from what I read you can just tell by the way some people type, they are some of the Older Folk.

If a 6 year old can blow through the game, then yes, maybe it needs to be harder, but there are alot of other people that do not have the gift as you and your grandson do. I see that you are kinda stuck between a rock, and a hard place.

Meaning, although you may want to jump to one of them hardcore MMO's you really can not because of your grand son. Some of them big MMO's have poor language, and consideration to other players. The "Elitlist" type people would treat others like dirt, and acting their stuff does not stink.

I remember a game I use to play, but may get back into, it was extremly hard at first, then as the years passed in the game, the patch upgrades made the game easier, and easier. so I see what you mean, but not to many people got that gift to blow through every game regardless of how easy or hard it is.

Defender
May 29, 2009
109
Dragonfable has an xtreme version, so if you are going easy you use the normal version and if you want a challenge click xtreme mode. I think there should be an xtreme W101 version and an easy version

Survivor
Jun 16, 2008
28
I may be wrong but I didn't see that you have done Kensington. That area is quite difficult.

If you have done all the crafting, quests, and have successfully farmed all of the pets, clothing, and accessories ... (wow) ... I wonder if you have thought about helping other wizards.

I have seen many new wizards, around the pond, who are perplexed by a quest or don't understand what they are to do. If you took time to answer questions or show them where something is you would add positive energy to the Spiral and that would make it so Malistaire has less energy to do harm. (You don't have to have your Grandmaster title showing)

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
259
I finished Kensington Park and went looking for a badge that said I did it, and could not find it. Received very little loot for doing it too. Am I missing something?

This post hits the nail right on the head about what I am concerned about, what do I do after I finish Malistaire. Seems like at times there are lots of GrandMasters wandering all around DS looking for something to do, or I run into them at say Nightside when they and myself are farming Red Mandrake.

Survivor
Jul 08, 2010
28
Drifter69 wrote:

So you are complaining because you think the games is to easy for you? Well by the number of post in these forums, not to many people agree with you that the game is to easy. I guess you are on of those lucky ones that breeze through every single game in no time.

I doubt KI will make the game harder because you want it to be for you. To many people are complaing how hard it is now. So if this rated E game ages 5 and up is to easy for you then I would say pick a harder MMO to play. Like one of them Hardcore MMO's, like World of Warcraft, Runes of Magic, and maybe even Perfect World. This game is designed for kids, KI does not want the game to be impossible for MOST of the younger folk because more adults play it.


Well before the change everyone was fussing it was too hard (group A)

now after the change, people are fussing it is too easy (group B)

group B did not have a reason to fuss until after the change so of course all the forum was/is full of group A complaining, since it was just changed not that long ago, I would not be surprised if the number of 'group B' complaints go up now.

Survivor
Aug 04, 2010
5
How about a difficulty level? If you want the hardest challenge possible, then set the level to EXPERT, or something like that. And if you wanted an easy leavel, swich it to EASY. This would be good for adult players who want more of a challange. :D