Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

"Noob" vs. Some Other Words

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Countless words on the inclusion or exclusion of this four letter word have been exchanged in many different discussions, in many different forums. I say this: what's the big deal? Is it really that soul-crushing to be called a noob? I'll be completely honest: I've never called someone a noob, and I can count the number of times I've been called a noob on one hand. However, I don't see what's wrong with it: a noob is a slang term for a novice/newcomer, or somebody inexperienced in any profession or activity. Nothing more; nothing less. If people use it for some other reason (ex: using this term to imply that someone isn't smart) then that shows how misinformed they are. From there, you have two choices: you can either cry about it in the forums, or set that person straight and then walk the other way.

Now that I've said that, I can't understand why there are so many people complaining about one word, when hardly anyone complains about the cursing going on in Wizard101. Yes, I read the Wizard101 bulletin (that was fourth from the bottom) on cursing: "Watch your language. Several chat exploits have been eliminated and failure to abide by the Terms of Use regarding chat can result in a permanent ban from Wizard101." First, KI needs to realize a lot of kids are getting around the chat restriction; not by just typing creatively, but by avoiding an age-appropriate chat entirely. Open chat has been a revelation for those like me who can't type for their life and end up seeing an ellipsis (...) in every other message, but many immature players that aren't even supposed to have open chat take advantage of this freedom and use it to unrestrictedly show how colorful their vocabulary is. Second, there's KI's big bad warning of "a permanent ban from Wizard101." Someone in the forums made me realize something very important: KI is a business. Having morals is great, but morals don't pay the bills, and no business turns away a customer. This, along with the abhorrent language I see on a daily basis in Wizard101, leads me to believe KI doesn't care. I'm not going to threaten to quit (the game is way too addicting lol), but if an administator would like to prove me wrong, I'd appreciate that.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
I would be willing to wager that well over 90% of the people who play this game have no idea what "noob" originally meant.

The word "noob" originated in the late 1990's on the social talker Resort, carried over to other talkers and eventually spread to many text muds, among them Armageddon, Aardwolf, and Darkwind. It quickly spread to the MMORPGs such as Ultima, Everquest, and the predecessors of World of Warcraft.

The word took off in popularity on Runescape about 2003 or 2004. At the time, the word got misused to mean the same thing as "newb" (which it is not), probably because it's easier to type and could be re-spelled as "n00b" or such as "nooooooob".

As it applies to online gaming:

A "newb" is a player who is new to the game or the area of the game, but who is willing to learn. A newb will listen to higher-level players and is willing to do the work needed to achieve goals, such as completing a quest, farming for experience or gold, etc. A newb will do his/her part in a team effort.

A "noob" is an annoying and/or clueless person. Noobs want others to do their work for them, expect to get things for little or no effort, and often don't have a clue about the game, even if they've been playing it for a long time. Most noobs also enjoy being annoying, although technically a person whose main goal online is to annoy others would be a "troll" or "git". The noobs are often those who complain about the game being too hard.

Here's an example of two players in the same situation.

Here are examples:

Newb (a level 5 Wizard at the Commons): Where is the Bazaar?
Me: It's in Olde Towne, to the right as you go in.
Newb: That's through the shopping district, right?
Me: Yes.
Newb: Thank you. (leaves)

Noob (a level 34 wizard at the Commons): can u take me 2 the bizar
Me: It's in Olde Towne.
Noob: take me to it plz
Me: It's right through the Shopping District over there.
Noob: no
Noob: take me
Noob: plz
Me: The Shopping District tunnel is right in front of you!
Noob: plz take me
Wizard 2: i'll take you if it will shut you up. follow me.
Noob: no friend me
Noob: and i port 2 u
Wizard 2: just follow me.
Noob: no friend me

My friend Wendy defined it another way: If you call everybody a "noob", you're a noob yourself.

Defender
Sep 18, 2009
Cologada, first off, that for the history on the word noob. I am somewhat heartened to know that even though I didn't know the difference between newb and noob, I define a noob in much the same way you do. Your scripting was hilarious. :) More so because it is TRUE! I had an almost identical conversation in another game only yesterday, so I truly understand your angle there.
The newbs that are at least marginally articulate and say things like please and thank you often end up on my friend list and I voluntarily offer extra assistance if needed. I try to help noobs, but when they are more demanding and less independant than a room full of 2 year olds, I just have to walk away.
Thanks for the grins.
2 accounts, 7 grandmasters