Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New player seeking weapon help.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 19, 2018
I'm level 16 and I've been using the same weapon you get as a reward at like level 5?

I'm a semi-hardcore MMORPG player, played the likes of GW2, FFXIV and so on.. and I'm used to ''New weapon/gear ever 5-10 levels''

Just wondered what it was like for Wizard101?

Everyone else is using cool wands, staffs, and I've still got my little unicorn wand.

Any tips? I'm a death mage if it helps.

Survivor
Mar 06, 2013
I can help you with anything you need.

-Phoenix

Level 125
Level 70
Level 21

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Welcome!

Now, I'll suggest a few ideas I'm implore you to bare in mind or rather, general Info:

First, there's a "Player's Guide" just above this post, beside the "Login" Button.

Click the guide and read through it to familiarize yourself with the content.

Second - Are you aware of the Bazaar in Odle Town? Consider it Walmart in the game as it pools multiple items across the spiral and makes them available for decent prices to interesting wizards. Try going there to shop for useful school only gear around your level.

Similar to many other MMORPG's, Wizard101 uses a 5 level gear system. Meaning, every five levels (starting at level 5 of course) there is a possibility to update your gear.
So,
New gear is available at:
Level 10
Level 15
Level 25
Etc.
There are few exceptions to this with few gear not following this rule, you'll eventually discover them on your own as well.
Be sure to try updating your gear via the Bazaar, Crafting, Farming etc.

Team Up - The game also features a 'Team Up' Option in front of most instances (Dungeons/Bosses). Clicking this button allows the opportunity for fellow wizards (some of who may be at the very exact location you happen to be) to assist you with said boss/dungeon. It can take a while however.

It's also important to have a general idea of School Boost and Resists.
Generally, all enemies resist their own school by at least 35%.
Bosses resists their own school by 80% (so it's like they always have a school shield around them).
Instances like these, you need to use your school prism to convert the damage to another school to fully make use of your attacks.
  • weak to and vice versa
  • weak to and vice versa
  • weak to and vice versa
  • weak to all spiritual schools (, & )

Death Wizards are termed Necormancers by the way.

Post if you've any more concerns.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
KeijiSicarius on Apr 30, 2018 wrote:
I'm level 16 and I've been using the same weapon you get as a reward at like level 5?

I'm a semi-hardcore MMORPG player, played the likes of GW2, FFXIV and so on.. and I'm used to ''New weapon/gear ever 5-10 levels''

Everyone else is using cool wands, staffs, and I've still got my little unicorn wand.

There are a few options, some are "free" and others require some crowns (actual $$).

Free options include buying wands from the Bazaar and getting good ones dropped from bosses and dungeons. You can buy a new wand from the Bazaar every five levels up to level 50; after that, you can buy a new one a bit more often but the quality actually goes down. Starting at level 50, dropped wands are generally better than bought ones.

At your level, you can try the new skeleton key boss that Diego in Unicorn Way will send you to fight. I think he drops a wand. Another great option is Ra, a rather tough skeleton key boss in Krokotopia. You'll soon be there, if you aren't already.

At level 25, there's a dungeon you reach from Krokotopia by taking a boat to Kembaalung. The dungeons are called Pagoda of Harmony and Hollow Mountain, and they drop a variety of good wands as well as other gear and wooden skeleton keys to repeat those side boss battles already mentioned. Also some of the gear is pretty darn good for a level 25.

Then, at level 30, you will definitely want to do the Mt. Olympus dungeon. At the second-to-last battle (Ares), there is a guaranteed wand drop that adds 10% damage. It's called the Sky Iron Hasta. The final boss (Zeus) also drops some unique gear and wands. Most of us agree the Zeus gear is the best you can get until level 55/60 or so.

You might need to team up with someone for all of these challenging bosses/dungeons.

If you're willing to spend real money, then crowns packs or housing bundles also come with excellent wand choices. The best wands for lower levels are from the Immortal's Lore or Road Warrior's packs. They will add to your damage and they have a "may cast" feature that lets the wand itself sometimes toss out an extra spell for free.

Good luck and welcome to Wizard101!

Alia Misthaven

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016

It's not levels so much here I think, for gear, as it is battles.

Try asking in the Commons if anyone will quest with you on some dungeons or battles, ask them which drop the best gear for your level.

Someone here has generously offer to help but if meet up proves difficult or you just want to try for different stuff, this is another option too.

People put dungeons on their land sometimes that is different from what's in quests.

You can also repeat a lot of boss battles to see if you get better drops, or answer team ups, that might help too, although if you haven't unlocked a world yet you might not be able to go. But someone on your friend list can go and you can port there sometimes.

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
You have some options. Crown shop, bazaar. It's always good to look for better gear every few levels. At that point you should be looking for a better wand also. Even trading your deck can up your game what with socketing. Changing clothes for a better life number starts way back in Unicorn Way. As soon as something's dropped after a duel check it to see if it will amp up your health. Later on you start looking for boosters in the gear you choose. Blocking potential; accuracy boosters and the like. When you find a wand that you like the looks of, remember you can assign the stats of another one to that one. Go to the lady who's always with Zeke (can't remember her name) and have it stitched. Good luck.

Sydney Skyblood lvl 82 Fire.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Early on in the game, getting good gear from drops is nigh and far between.

You will want to go to the Bazaar to get really good upgrades, visit every fifth level.

Steven Ghoststalker

Defender
May 17, 2014
It should actually be good enough to carry you to lvl 20, where you can get a wand from the bazaar which gives you an extra pip at the start of the round. Im not sure what its called, but it has a pink glowing gemstone on it. Get one which isn't from your school.

If you have any wands dropped from enemies, use those until you can get the one mentioned above.
At level 30 do Mount Olympus and get the Sky Iron hasta, which should be enough to carry you... well until you get a better wand. I replaced it somewhere at the end of Celestia, so it lasted me well over 20 levels.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009

Here are some options you might can consider regarding wands:

If you are using Crowns get the Ascendant Staff (or something like that from the Crown shop- so long as it gives you an extra pip)

If you are not using Crowns complete the World of Wysteria. You get a wand that is your school that gives you an extra starting pip in battle for level 20 and up.

Alternatively you can complete Skeleton Key Bosses. Ra in Krokotopia has some very interesting wands that are available, but you'll need a Wooden Skeleton Key.

Once you reach level 30 you can complete Mount Olympus and get a wand that gives you a Power Pip there.

If you feel like you need a change immediately you can look for gear at the Bazaar.

The most important thing to look for in a wand in my opinion is the extra pip, then stats/cards that it gives you. If you just want a cool looking one- definitely go to the Bazaar (you'll just have to cough up some gold) You can also fish for Wands, but I think that's only in Zafaria.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I'm not sure what wand you have but think it's the one that gives one pip item cards instead of 0 pip small hits?

I'd farm Winterbane Hall for a pip wand with 0 pip small off-school hits.

The pip is very helpful because it gives you an extra pip when you start/join any battle.

Having 0 pip small hits is great because you can use these while still building pips for a main attack.

Having the 0 pip hits as off-school is important because it won't use your school set up but can still be used to remove a tower shield from an enemy or a weakness from yourself etc.

Winterbane Hall is a house dungeon and if you do not own one you can use housing tours to find a house with one. You may need to search a bit to find one but if you go to top rated and work your way down the list you should find one fairly quickly. Asking in the commons if anyone knows which houses have it could be a quick way to find one as well as finding a team. Try to get a high level to race you through it when you're farming.

It's tricky arranging a meet-up via here but if you struggle to find a Winterbane or a team let me know and we can try to meet in game - I have a Winterbane and can take you through it a bunch of times quickly on my storm.

PS. By level 20 you can apparently get pip wands in the bazaar and at level 30 you will be getting the Sky Iron Hasta from Mount Olympus that gives an additional power pip instead of the additional white pip. You might want to wait for one of those if you quest fast. The Sky Iron Hasta will likely be your 'best' wand choice for a lot of levels as it gives the power pip plus 10% damage boost.

Good luck and happy questing!

Survivor
Oct 13, 2014
Let me introduce you to the wonders of the bazaar! In the bazaar, equipment (including wands) tend to go by an increment of 5 levels.