Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Minions?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 17, 2008
I don't see them used a lot, but I think that's because they're not quite up to snuff with the newer worlds. So, I'm wondering, will new minion spells be added in the future? Either for lower levels (like the utility spells that were added retroactively) or for higher levels?

I'm also curious if improvements to their AI have been discussed - they are ineffective in battles against cheating bosses. Or perhaps the developers would let the player control their minion directly and circumvent the need for AI completely?

How many of you would like to see new and improved minions in the game or effective modifications made to current minions already in the game?

Personally, I think it'd be great. And I look forward to a minion-centric expansion... perhaps a quest line or two where you even get to choose your minion.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Mythographer on Dec 20, 2012 wrote:
I don't see them used a lot, but I think that's because they're not quite up to snuff with the newer worlds. So, I'm wondering, will new minion spells be added in the future? Either for lower levels (like the utility spells that were added retroactively) or for higher levels?

I'm also curious if improvements to their AI have been discussed - they are ineffective in battles against cheating bosses. Or perhaps the developers would let the player control their minion directly and circumvent the need for AI completely?

How many of you would like to see new and improved minions in the game or effective modifications made to current minions already in the game?

Personally, I think it'd be great. And I look forward to a minion-centric expansion... perhaps a quest line or two where you even get to choose your minion.
I rarely use them. To me it's just not worth wasting the pips.
New minions might make it worthwhile though

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
If you are referring to the minions we got as young wizards, it is my opinion those minions should have been able to gain in rank and spells as we leveled our wizards. I certainly don't use them anymore since more times than not, they will use up your traps/prisms when you are trying to set up a good hit on a boss. Not worth the pips or effort so I don't even load them in a deck past DS. And rarely use them anyway on young wizards now.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Explorer
Sep 17, 2008
I would really like the opportunity to level up minions or raise their rank. At least for Myth wizards since that is their specialty, after all. For a rank 10 Talos, I'd be willing to spend 1 training point per rank increase. That would be amazing!

Explorer
Sep 17, 2008
That was a good post, Dayerider, though I think a lot of those suggestions are too complicated to actually make it into the game. I don't want the minion to become that micro-managed simply because it would then become a chore, like crafting or gardening, where you have to watch over every little detail of the minion's stats.

Leveling the minion looks like a good idea to me, but managing its deck and gear could end up being a bit frustrating, overpowered, or too complicated for younger players. Or it could be totally awesome - I'm not really sure, but the idea is definitely unique and worth considering!

When I really stop and think about it, I don't know if I'd enjoy it or not. It's hard to say. Though leveling the minion via talent points or battle experience seems promising.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
personally, I think most minions are wasted as they stand now. My pyro minion stopped being useful after Grizzleheim/Wintertusk. He costs 3 Pip, is only ever at level 1, has only 400 health (which many times is one attack spell or less that hits), and tends/seems to cast Link way more often than anything else.

I can tell you right now, if I could choose what spells he had, it might look something like this (for his permanent spells - some would change depending on the monster):

Heckhound instead of firecat
Power Link instead of Link
Wyldfire
Fire Trap
Fire Blade

If I could train the minion, or have him "level up" like the death minion (stronger the more pips you use), they'd be more relevant for sure. I think minions should be customizable to us choosing the spells, gear and size of deck (with limits, like my original post showed). It would then be more possible to use a minion even on a world as advanced as Avalon and have it be useful. it could NEVER replace a live person as a teammate, but it could certainly help for those times you didnt have any friends online.