Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Natural Attacks

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I was just fighting Gearhead (Hyde Park boss) with my Adept Diviner. I almost defeated him...until he pulled an 811 natural attack out of nowhere. My life was already a little low, so I was defeated. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time something like this has happened to me. Could you guys make natural attacks weaker, or just take them out of the game altogether?

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I was just fighting Gearhead (Hyde Park boss) with my Adept Diviner. I almost defeated him...until he pulled an 811 natural attack out of nowhere. My life was already a little low, so I was defeated. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time something like this has happened to me. Could you guys make natural attacks weaker, or just take them out of the game altogether?

Hey Akihiro. Natural attacks have certainly caught me off guard from time to time. However, I don't see them being removed. They feel to me like the monster version of judgement or tempest. Since a huge chunk of bosses have them, I am guessing that KI considers them to be an equalizer. My best suggestion is really to monitor monster pips when they cast what appears to be a natural attack so that you can figure out if you're up against an enemy with a rank X attack. I don't know if this helps or not.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Hey Akihiro. Natural attacks have certainly caught me off guard from time to time. However, I don't see them being removed. They feel to me like the monster version of judgement or tempest. Since a huge chunk of bosses have them, I am guessing that KI considers them to be an equalizer. My best suggestion is really to monitor monster pips when they cast what appears to be a natural attack so that you can figure out if you're up against an enemy with a rank X attack. I don't know if this helps or not.

Hey gtarhannon. From what I've observed, I don't think natural attacks are dependent on pips. I've seen more often than not instances where monsters cast powerful natural attacks with little to no pip loss. I'll look into that more though.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
gtarhannon wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

Hey gtarhannon. From what I've observed, I don't think natural attacks are dependent on pips. I've seen more often than not instances where monsters cast powerful natural attacks with little to no pip loss. I'll look into that more though.

Interesting. Yes, please do. I would be very interested to see your observation. Perhaps I haven't been paying close enough attention, but it had seemed to me as though there are two types of natural attacks: those with fixed pip damage, and those with rank X damage. (Should that have been a semicolon? I've never master that particular mark.) It's quite possible that I just made an assumption that large damage natural attacks were the result of being rank X spells.

Defender
Aug 13, 2010
Oh contraire, I'd actually like to see a lot more of those natural attacks!

Marleybonians will constantly tell us how they are prim and proper folks who don't believe in or use Magic, and even if you want to learn about it you have to study abroad (Just ask Arthur Wethersfield)

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the Rat Magicians, and maybe I will forgive the fact that Dr. Von Katzenstein and all the clockworks can use Storm Spells, 'cause they deal with electricity... But when I see Pops O'Leary and other hooded, feline thugs with knives and stuff summoning a Cyclops out of thin air in what I was told to be a magic-fearing world... I call Shenanigans.

Same could go for Mooshu and Grizzleheim too, to such an extent. It doesn't make too much sense to me to see Samoorai and Axe-Wielding grizzly bears using obvious magic. I mean it would be OK for them to use traps and blades, but why make them use a wizard's spell when they could be more realistic and just melee you?

...And that is what really Grinds My Gears ;)

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Luvas wrote:

Marleybonians will constantly tell us how they are prim and proper folks who don't believe in or use Magic, and even if you want to learn about it you have to study abroad (Just ask Arthur Wethersfield)

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the Rat Magicians, and maybe I will forgive the fact that Dr. Von Katzenstein and all the clockworks can use Storm Spells, 'cause they deal with electricity... But when I see Pops O'Leary and other hooded, feline thugs with knives and stuff summoning a Cyclops out of thin air in what I was told to be a magic-fearing world... I call Shenanigans.

Same could go for Mooshu and Grizzleheim too, to such an extent. It doesn't make too much sense to me to see Samoorai and Axe-Wielding grizzly bears using obvious magic. I mean it would be OK for them to use traps and blades, but why make them use a wizard's spell when they could be more realistic and just melee you?

What? I'm sorry, but in the midst of your inane, disjointed ramblings, I couldn't find your point.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
Luvas wrote:

You mean, you would rather the monster summon itself and hit you, than use a spell of it's own school?

As for the rest of the post. These natural attacks... is that when the monster summons itself into the circle and hits you? (like when I use a wand spell from my sword, and I appear in the summoning field?)
It is also interesting to note that these attacks don't always match the element type shown beside the bosses name. I recently had an ice boss draw a balance symbol and then appear in the circle and hit me with balance damage.