Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My opinion on the Cuss Words

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 30, 2009
I don't mind the cuss words, therefor I do not report people I see doing it. It's just sad really.. Open chat should allow those features. I mean 18, come on. Like you have never heard a cuss word before, or said them yourself?? I mean, you hear worse things in the hallways at school, right?? Also, open chat is for adults, not kids. If someone with open chat doesn't like it, go back to regular chat. This is how it should be..

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
You are so incredibly wrong. Young kids play this game and do not need to hear some of things uttered. I report anyone who curses in open chat. Also, I am an adult and do not want to hear such garbage coming from peoples mouths. Open chat does not give you the right to break rules or offend others due to a lack of grammar and etiquette .

Adherent
May 20, 2010
This isn't school, and it isn't the street. This is an online game that's frequented by many pre-teens. Just because the words are out there in the real world doesn't mean that the kids need to see it on the screen, too.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Castorez wrote:
I don't mind the cuss words, therefor I do not report people I see doing it. It's just sad really.. Open chat should allow those features. I mean 18, come on. Like you have never heard a cuss word before, or said them yourself?? I mean, you hear worse things in the hallways at school, right?? Also, open chat is for adults, not kids. If someone with open chat doesn't like it, go back to regular chat. This is how it should be..

I do get your point (I've been hearing people curse since I was in Kindergarten), but this is a controlled environment. There are laws that say curse words are not allowed to be spoken freely in a game of this rating. If KI allowed people to curse in Wizard101 they'd need to change the rating. That also means the game would be deemed inappropriate for the desired demographic. It's not a matter of whether someone's heard a curse word or not (believe me, there are many that haven't); it's a matter of what's appropriate for a family game. Oh, and for the record: I don't curse.

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
I'm a little kid who is not at the age where you cuss a lot yet. So I disagree, sorry. I do have text chat, but I don't abuse it like that. I report almost anyone who cusses. I even sometimes report any R-rated or X-rated conversations as well.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
As my mom used to tell us ( many many years ago), show your intelligence by communicating without the "need" of using curse words. Find an alternative way to showing your displeasure/distain/dislike/whatever.

There is no place in this game, no matter what your age, for cursing.

I guess I just "showing" my age. :D

Survivor
Jul 23, 2009
just because you're 18 doesnt mean that its ok to use cuss words. there is no need to use bad language on a game meant for smaller audiences... and its not right to say that people who want to use open chat should stop if they're offended by the language. If you want to use cuss words than you should stop using Open Chat, not the other way around.

Survivor
Jan 23, 2011
ok, for the record I am an adult and yes I do use foul or distasteful words when I feel strongly about something. But I am also a dad and I try my level best to not use foul language in front of my children (dispite the redneck in me). However, I do not like seeing foul language on a game like this.. it ruins the entire atmosphere of this game that is meant to enchant kids. I let my kids play this game... and like at home on here I dont want them exposed to what you hear daily in the real world. It gives them a nice break from it.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Well you should report them. Your preferences, likes or what not don't matter.

For people who feel the need to swear how about you swear out loud!

Megan-who is very tired of potty mouths in game.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I would have to say, as the world seems to go now, monitored chat seems completely insiginificant.

Children are raised amongst hypocrite parents that without regard curse around them, amongst children in schools without regards or afterthoughts as to what they say, and around tv and media filled with cursing.

However, as small of a step this monitored chat may be, it helps keep it clean in the spiral, if not anywhere else.

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
Castorez wrote:

Well, Cussing is wrong even if it's all adults. My parents don't cuss at all, even when with only adults. Just cause their 18 and over doesn't give them as much right to cuss. There are reasons those words are bad. So I will continue to report . I'm a teen and I don't cuss. Only the well behaved people use the right words.

Explorer
May 13, 2010
Shiningfantasia wrote:
I would have to say, as the world seems to go now, monitored chat seems completely insiginificant.

Children are raised amongst hypocrite parents that without regard curse around them, amongst children in schools without regards or afterthoughts as to what they say, and around tv and media filled with cursing.

However, as small of a step this monitored chat may be, it helps keep it clean in the spiral, if not anywhere else.

I find this comment to be offensive as a parent NOT all children are raised this way! It would seem that if there were less people who thought like you do then this might not be such a problem. Children who do this type of thing have unresponsible parents who take stands and think just like you have. As a parent it is our responsibility to teach our children right from wrong, acceptible behavior from non-acceptable behavior no matter what they see and hear from anyone else. Perhaps instead of passing the buck(responsibility) and saying "oh it is cause they see and hear it elsewhere" you should take a stand and tell them this is not acceptable behavior and will not be tolerated! If more parents and young adults would take the responsibility then perhaps the world would be a better place .

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
Well you should report them. Your preferences, likes or what not don't matter.

For people who feel the need to swear how about you swear out loud!

Megan-who is very tired of potty mouths in game.

*stands up and applauds*

Exactly my point! That's what doesn't make sense to me. If you're annoyed, why would you take the time to find a way to say what you wanna say in the game and risk getting reported when you can just release the anger immediately by saying it out loud?! It's pointless to say it in the game because I guarantee you KI knows what you said. I am so done with this flawed logic that people use to justify breaking rules.

Mastermind
Jun 25, 2009
Castorez wrote:

Nope, swearing in general is wrong here's MY opinion on it

Words of wisdom: Don't swear around the filters in this game, it never works out because there's always that one person there who's going to do the right thing and report you. All it takes is a few slip ups and your out-of this game for good.

Hunter legendwraith level 60 necromancer

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
Shiningfantasia wrote:

My parents are great FYI and they do NOT teach me this. It's pretty much faults of bad kids and adults. My parents are great and I have a great life. Don't judge!!!!

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Devil King wrote:
Shiningfantasia wrote:

I find this comment to be offensive as a parent NOT all children are raised this way! It would seem that if there were less people who thought like you do then this might not be such a problem. Children who do this type of thing have unresponsible parents who take stands and think just like you have. As a parent it is our responsibility to teach our children right from wrong, acceptible behavior from non-acceptable behavior no matter what they see and hear from anyone else. Perhaps instead of passing the buck(responsibility) and saying "oh it is cause they see and hear it elsewhere" you should take a stand and tell them this is not acceptable behavior and will not be tolerated! If more parents and young adults would take the responsibility then perhaps the world would be a better place .

I am somewhat confused as to where this comment went. I will stand corrected and say not all parents curse around their kids. I was even about to apologize for simply generalizing all parents instead of those exceptional few. But with that kind of response, presumptiously grouping me with people that 'pass the buck,' I think I will just end my response here.