Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My fellow wizards a little lesson about manners.

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 11, 2013
111
Again.
My fellow wizards..I love helping random members of you out in fights. I actually make it a point to ask at least a couple random people a day whose fights I run passed when they are in it alone without help. But I ask before I jump in. In turn I don't mind you jumping into mine. Just ask before you jump in. And if you run too close to the duel circle and accidentally get pulled in, or run too close to an enemy near my duel circle and get pulled in, if you simply say.."oops sorry got pulled in"? I'll blow it off with a laugh and an "it's okay. no problem happens to us all"
However. When you jump into one of my fights, or anyone else's for that matter, be it on purpose or accident pulling in another enemy, then jump out by fleeing leaving me [or whomever] facing 3 or 4 to one odds? It's rude, and it's disrespectful to your fellow wizards. Worse you might cost them a fight they were almost finished with despite being low health. More to the point, in the case of yours truly...it irritates me to no good end. So please my fellow wizards if you jump into one of my fights, or anyone elses, or just accidentally get pulled in stay and finish the fight. I honestly don't mind, especially if it's the beginning of a fight or an accident. A little courtesy is all I'm asking for.

Connor, lvl 88 ice wizard

Champion
Aug 15, 2012
455
What I dislike is when you ask "please may I join?" And nobody says anything. It would be very helpful if you could say yes or no. Saying no won't be taken as rude. It would just save me 5 or 10 minutes of waiting by the battle circle, waiting for an answer.
Sarai Thunderstrider
JourneymanAnd

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2931
i posted a thread like this a few months back~ thanks for the reminder! it's nice to know that i'm not the only one who feels this way.

i don't have a problem helping you. i do have a problem with someone who's discourteous. if you expect me to part with my precious blades so you can waste them on a wand hit (balance wizard here) or heal you as soon as a monster hits you, it's not gonna happen.

i always ask before joining any battles. i take a non-response to mean no, or that the person is afk, and i move on. i'm not going to shout at you for joining me, as long as you are polite and/or apologize.

to add to your post, the same applies to random ports.
just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

about a month ago, my storm wizard was in a dungeon in k2. i was waiting for an irl friend to come over, but i had just enough time to finish this instance solo.

(i usually play with ports off, but had accidentally left them on as i'd just finished hatching a pet with a good friend and opened up ports for her)

i had already taken out the minion and was about to do some major damage to the boss, when one of my "friends" ported in, dragging in another minion. she didn't ask before porting, or apologize for messing me up. but she was life and healed me, so i took that as her "apology".

AND THEN her friend ports in, dragging in ANOTHER one. the best part is, he was fire and had no attack cards. NO ATTACK CARDS. and then, he says that [life friend] told him to.

at that point, i was so mad that i just lost it. the guy kept saying, 'calm down', and i'm like, why should i? you royally mucked up my strategy and made this take 10x longer than it needed to. and, on top of that, i have to go in 5 minutes and will have to start the quest over because of you.

luckily, my friend was patient and waited for me while i finished the instance. but, needless to say, healer-chick and i are not friends anymore. someone who willingly disrespects me is not my friend.

-von

Defender
Aug 11, 2013
111
Dr Von on May 26, 2014 wrote:
i posted a thread like this a few months back~ thanks for the reminder! it's nice to know that i'm not the only one who feels this way.

i don't have a problem helping you. i do have a problem with someone who's discourteous. if you expect me to part with my precious blades so you can waste them on a wand hit (balance wizard here) or heal you as soon as a monster hits you, it's not gonna happen.

i always ask before joining any battles. i take a non-response to mean no, or that the person is afk, and i move on. i'm not going to shout at you for joining me, as long as you are polite and/or apologize.

to add to your post, the same applies to random ports.
just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

about a month ago, my storm wizard was in a dungeon in k2. i was waiting for an irl friend to come over, but i had just enough time to finish this instance solo.

(i usually play with ports off, but had accidentally left them on as i'd just finished hatching a pet with a good friend and opened up ports for her)

i had already taken out the minion and was about to do some major damage to the boss, when one of my "friends" ported in, dragging in another minion. she didn't ask before porting, or apologize for messing me up. but she was life and healed me, so i took that as her "apology".

AND THEN her friend ports in, dragging in ANOTHER one. the best part is, he was fire and had no attack cards. NO ATTACK CARDS. and then, he says that [life friend] told him to.

at that point, i was so mad that i just lost it. the guy kept saying, 'calm down', and i'm like, why should i? you royally mucked up my strategy and made this take 10x longer than it needed to. and, on top of that, i have to go in 5 minutes and will have to start the quest over because of you.

luckily, my friend was patient and waited for me while i finished the instance. but, needless to say, healer-chick and i are not friends anymore. someone who willingly disrespects me is not my friend.

-von
Agreed. if I ask for blades it's because either my deck isn't cooperating and coughing them up and I've got one of my high level hitters ready to go, or because I have one of the high level hitters ready and I want the extra boost from a balance or dragon blade for a bigger hit. especially like in the fight I was in last night. took me a full hour to finish the fight I was in. was a double boss 20000+ a piece health points fight. went through a couple henchman before a couple friends were free to port in and save my icy posterior. As far as random jumps go..I generally don't mind and neither do several of the people on my list that I play with regular. because when I jump in I stay...either because I'm bored at the moment or frustrated with one of my own quests and taking a break.

Connor

Defender
Aug 11, 2013
111
glowstorm13 on May 26, 2014 wrote:
What I dislike is when you ask "please may I join?" And nobody says anything. It would be very helpful if you could say yes or no. Saying no won't be taken as rude. It would just save me 5 or 10 minutes of waiting by the battle circle, waiting for an answer.
Sarai Thunderstrider
JourneymanAnd
I'm with Von on this one Saffron. If I don't get a response I take it as a no and move on.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2011
39
Ah! This is posted a lot, and sadly, it's true!
However, it'll take a lot of work to get most of our Classmates to understand this IRRITATING pet peeve!
I hope one day we won't have to worry about this problem!

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2931
TheCurlyWolf on May 26, 2014 wrote:
Agreed. if I ask for blades it's because either my deck isn't cooperating and coughing them up and I've got one of my high level hitters ready to go, or because I have one of the high level hitters ready and I want the extra boost from a balance or dragon blade for a bigger hit. especially like in the fight I was in last night. took me a full hour to finish the fight I was in. was a double boss 20000+ a piece health points fight. went through a couple henchman before a couple friends were free to port in and save my icy posterior. As far as random jumps go..I generally don't mind and neither do several of the people on my list that I play with regular. because when I jump in I stay...either because I'm bored at the moment or frustrated with one of my own quests and taking a break.

Connor
there's a huge difference between, "hey von, would you mind blading me?" and "give me that".

i'm usually pretty accommodating, provided that you respect me. if you ask for a blade and i say no, i need them, don't keep begging; if i say yes and give you one, you say thank you.

i'm okay with people porting if they ask first. most of my in-game friends know that i don't have a ton of free time, so they'll message me first. typical conversation goes like so:

[friend] hey von
[me] hey, what up?
[friend] not much. what are you up to?
[me] not much, in here fighting [enemy].
[friend] you need help?
[me] not particularly, but you're welcome to keep me company.
[friend] ok, thanks!
[me] no prob, i'll turn ports on for you.

assuming the instance is one that allows ports, they join in and we have a grand old time. if not, i turn ports back off and we just keep chatting until we can meet later.

-

i don't like random circle-jumpers because most of them just jump in and flee. not a huge issue, since i can more than handle the extra monster, but it's the principle that drives me insane. if you port into someone else's battle uninvited, then you'd darn well better stay and help kill off the extra mob *you* dragged in.

-von

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
211
Dr Von on Jun 1, 2014 wrote:
there's a huge difference between, "hey von, would you mind blading me?" and "give me that".

i'm usually pretty accommodating, provided that you respect me. if you ask for a blade and i say no, i need them, don't keep begging; if i say yes and give you one, you say thank you.

i'm okay with people porting if they ask first. most of my in-game friends know that i don't have a ton of free time, so they'll message me first. typical conversation goes like so:

[friend] hey von
[me] hey, what up?
[friend] not much. what are you up to?
[me] not much, in here fighting [enemy].
[friend] you need help?
[me] not particularly, but you're welcome to keep me company.
[friend] ok, thanks!
[me] no prob, i'll turn ports on for you.

assuming the instance is one that allows ports, they join in and we have a grand old time. if not, i turn ports back off and we just keep chatting until we can meet later.

-

i don't like random circle-jumpers because most of them just jump in and flee. not a huge issue, since i can more than handle the extra monster, but it's the principle that drives me insane. if you port into someone else's battle uninvited, then you'd darn well better stay and help kill off the extra mob *you* dragged in.

-von
Exactly, Von, especially the last paragraph, which reminds me of a time my necromancer was soloing defeat and do not collect mob battles in Azteca. A wizard lurked on the sidelines until I'd killed one and nearly killed the other then purposely ran into the battle, dragging in another baddie. This wizard then attempts to tell me which baddie to hit (the one he/she dragged in) while we were selecting spells for the next round. "No, hit the other one," were the wizard's exact words in text chat. My reply was, "You dragged it in when you intentionally jumped uninvited into a fight I nearly had finished, you take it out or flee. I'm not a paid henchman."

Please and thank you go a long way. Demands are a short path toward my ignore list.

Miranda Nightsinger, Promethean Necromancer
Scarlet Windhammer, Master Pyromancer
Iridian Lotusblade, Journeyman Sorcerer

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2931
Miranda Nightsinge... on Jun 2, 2014 wrote:
Exactly, Von, especially the last paragraph, which reminds me of a time my necromancer was soloing defeat and do not collect mob battles in Azteca. A wizard lurked on the sidelines until I'd killed one and nearly killed the other then purposely ran into the battle, dragging in another baddie. This wizard then attempts to tell me which baddie to hit (the one he/she dragged in) while we were selecting spells for the next round. "No, hit the other one," were the wizard's exact words in text chat. My reply was, "You dragged it in when you intentionally jumped uninvited into a fight I nearly had finished, you take it out or flee. I'm not a paid henchman."

Please and thank you go a long way. Demands are a short path toward my ignore list.

Miranda Nightsinger, Promethean Necromancer
Scarlet Windhammer, Master Pyromancer
Iridian Lotusblade, Journeyman Sorcerer
oh my gosh, someone did this to me last night in zafaria.

my legendary (66) life wizard was killing off the dreaded greyhorn mobs in zamunda and, just as she landed the kill-shot with a full-throttle fluffy, some level 59 doofus who'd been lurking on the sidelines jumped in and dragged in another monster. then, his friend joined and dragged in ANOTHER one. so i had to waste pips on reshuffle. and then they had the nerve to ask me for healing.

first of all, i don't carry heals anyway. second, i am under no obligation to carry you, and the fastest way to ignore-land is to treat me like a disposable henchman.

-von

exalted
legendary
grandmaster
magus