Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My accounts were hacked

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
93
Hey guys,

I recently got both my accounts unbanned, only for it to get hacked last night, on Saturday. Please be careful and change your passwords.

The hacker deleted everything- and I mean everything. My account was wiped clean. All bundles, housing, furniture, clothes, jewels, mounts, reagents, TC. It's all gone.

I contacted Kingsisle, they restored my wizards, but nothing else. They will only restore 10 items per account.
Please tell me how this is acceptable. I didn't ask to be hacked. I spent real money on this game, and I am supporting it, and they will only help me by restoring 10 items. I am beyond upset. I invested time, effort, and money on this game, and now it's all gone.

Please help me, I don't know what to do.

Astrologist
Aug 03, 2014
1044
eSnowFrost on Jun 30, 2018 wrote:
Hey guys,

I recently got both my accounts unbanned, only for it to get hacked last night, on Saturday. Please be careful and change your passwords.

The hacker deleted everything- and I mean everything. My account was wiped clean. All bundles, housing, furniture, clothes, jewels, mounts, reagents, TC. It's all gone.

I contacted Kingsisle, they restored my wizards, but nothing else. They will only restore 10 items per account.
Please tell me how this is acceptable. I didn't ask to be hacked. I spent real money on this game, and I am supporting it, and they will only help me by restoring 10 items. I am beyond upset. I invested time, effort, and money on this game, and now it's all gone.

Please help me, I don't know what to do.
I'm sorry this happened to you. It's awful that someone you trusted did that to your account, it was really malicious of them. You're lucky KI unbanned your accounts and you got back anything. I wish you had got back everything.

To anyone reading this: Please don't share your account details even if you think you can trust someone with them. It's not worth it and there is no benefit to it. It's always a bad decision and is against the Terms of Use to protect you, your wizards and your bank details which are often stored for repeat payments. Be safe!

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
93
Victoria FireHeart on Jul 2, 2018 wrote:
I'm sorry this happened to you. It's awful that someone you trusted did that to your account, it was really malicious of them. You're lucky KI unbanned your accounts and you got back anything. I wish you had got back everything.

To anyone reading this: Please don't share your account details even if you think you can trust someone with them. It's not worth it and there is no benefit to it. It's always a bad decision and is against the Terms of Use to protect you, your wizards and your bank details which are often stored for repeat payments. Be safe!
You misunderstand. I never shared my password, nor ever will.
My accounts were hacked.

Astrologist
Aug 03, 2014
1044
eSnowFrost on Jul 2, 2018 wrote:
You misunderstand. I never shared my password, nor ever will.
My accounts were hacked.
How would changing your password help if they're literally hacking your account?

Why would a hacker (breaking several federal laws and risking prison) delete your jewels etc instead of trying to gain access to your bank account and identity via saved details...or try to gain access to all the account data KI has stored for their entire customer base?

Seems strange but maybe I'm missing something?

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
1851
What this hacker may have done, is sell off everything that wasn't tacked down, then use the gold to purchase treasure cards. Those, in turn, he (or she) may have traded to their own wizard on their own account, who can turn around and sell them. It's possible to transfer gold from one account to another in this way.

Thinking diabolically, that would be one way to strip an account and benefit from the mischief.

Something like this happened to me nine years ago. A "friend" was with me when I was playing W101 and paid attention to what password I used. Later he logged in as me and stripped a lot of my stuff. A mutual friend heard him bragging about it, so that's how I figured out where all my stuff went.

It's too bad KI won't restore more than 10 of the stolen items, especially with everything being taken. That's just painful.

As for advise to the OP, I'd suggest a thorough cleaning of their computer with anti-virus, trojan and adware sweeps. Some malware can capture keystrokes, for example. That could be how they figured out your account credentials. Only after you have a clean computer is it safe to change passwords. Also keep an eye on any friends, relatives or acquaintances who knew you were banned. They might have taken advantage knowing it would be ages before you found out.

Alia Misthaven

Defender
Mar 18, 2012
108
I am so sorry this happened to you and hope they find the hacker.

Blaze Fireweave

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
93
Victoria FireHeart on Jul 3, 2018 wrote:
How would changing your password help if they're literally hacking your account?

Why would a hacker (breaking several federal laws and risking prison) delete your jewels etc instead of trying to gain access to your bank account and identity via saved details...or try to gain access to all the account data KI has stored for their entire customer base?

Seems strange but maybe I'm missing something?
You have a good point. I don't know.

But I know who it is, and I have reported it to Kingsisle. They are investigating. I have provided screenshots, and hopefully everything is well and restored.

They hacked using a keylogger or a fake Wizard101 launcher.
I did find a keylogger on my computer, and removed it using anti-virus softwares.

Astrologist
Aug 03, 2014
1044
eSnowFrost on Jul 5, 2018 wrote:
You have a good point. I don't know.

But I know who it is, and I have reported it to Kingsisle. They are investigating. I have provided screenshots, and hopefully everything is well and restored.

They hacked using a keylogger or a fake Wizard101 launcher.
I did find a keylogger on my computer, and removed it using anti-virus softwares.
WOW! That is AWFUL!

I know it sounds extreme but this is a criminal offence and you should report them to the police as well! Your bank details may not be safe and reporting it to the police will give you further protection should they do something even worse with the information they've stolen. I'd also speak to my bank's anti-fraud department.

Also, change ALL your passwords - email, bank, any websites you use...

Honestly, if someone did that to me and I could identify them I'd have the police at their door and a civil suit filed...they can steal your real life identity, wipe your bank accounts and set up credit in your name. This is a serious crime!

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
93
BlazeMaster688 on Jul 4, 2018 wrote:
I am so sorry this happened to you and hope they find the hacker.

Blaze Fireweave
Thank you so much.
I'm working with Kingsisle right now via emails, they asked for my MSinfo, I sent it to them, but unfortunately, I think my emails are being flagged as spam because of attachments in the email. I am not sure how to fix it.

I spent roughly a thousand on this game, between all my accounts, and I bought 90k crowns the other day. Please change your passwords, keep your account safe, NEVER share your password. Not with anyone! Keep your master password different too.

I hope I get everything back. :(

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
93
Victoria FireHeart on Jul 5, 2018 wrote:
WOW! That is AWFUL!

I know it sounds extreme but this is a criminal offence and you should report them to the police as well! Your bank details may not be safe and reporting it to the police will give you further protection should they do something even worse with the information they've stolen. I'd also speak to my bank's anti-fraud department.

Also, change ALL your passwords - email, bank, any websites you use...

Honestly, if someone did that to me and I could identify them I'd have the police at their door and a civil suit filed...they can steal your real life identity, wipe your bank accounts and set up credit in your name. This is a serious crime!
I appreciate your concern. I have changed my passwords and updated my security info. As for personal information, like bank details, I never store it online anyway. It's not safe.

As for reporting him to the police, I can't do that, as he is in another country and I don't know him personally.

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
93
IMPORTANT UPDATE!

I caught the hackers red handed! HAHA! I found them in the arena, and they confessed to hacking. I took screenshots and reported them so Kingsisle has the chat logs.

I hope Kingsisle bans all their accounts and their IP. They should not be welcome on this game!!!
The dude confessed to deleting characters since 2011... how he lasted that long, I don't know... but he messed with the wrong person. I hope he knows how it feels like to lose everything.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
1851
eSnowFrost on Jul 9, 2018 wrote:
IMPORTANT UPDATE!

I caught the hackers red handed! HAHA! I found them in the arena, and they confessed to hacking. I took screenshots and reported them so Kingsisle has the chat logs.

I hope Kingsisle bans all their accounts and their IP. They should not be welcome on this game!!!
The dude confessed to deleting characters since 2011... how he lasted that long, I don't know... but he messed with the wrong person. I hope he knows how it feels like to lose everything.
What kind of an idiot stands in a public area and brags out loud about their many years of crimes against others?!

If that's the guy who did you in, then congrats on catching him. (Though he didn't exactly make it tough, did he, what with the public confession and all. Idiot.) Sheesh, people are awful sometimes.

Alia Misthaven

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
93
Well, this isn't good. They stopped replying to me. What's going on? [Incident: 180623-000028]
Dworgyn, can you please check for me and update? Thanks!

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
93
Freshta on Jul 10, 2018 wrote:
What kind of an idiot stands in a public area and brags out loud about their many years of crimes against others?!

If that's the guy who did you in, then congrats on catching him. (Though he didn't exactly make it tough, did he, what with the public confession and all. Idiot.) Sheesh, people are awful sometimes.

Alia Misthaven
Yep! I am gidding with joy. Like I told the hacker when I saw him on Wizard101, ''KARMA IS FULL CIRCLE!''
What goes around.. comes around.

Update: Kingsisle has responded and I have sent them an entire zip folder of screenshots and chat logs.
I must say it's a long investigation, almost 2 weeks, but it's worth it to ban toxic people/hackers.