Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Multiple Shields Summing over 100%

AuthorMessage
Delver
Apr 08, 2015
250
This is something that I have been wondering, ever since my first ever and wizard got Tower Shield and Volcano Shield: if the sum of the shields go over 100%, why does the enemy spell does not do 0 damage? Here's an example:

You have a Tower Shield: -50% damage
And a Volcano Shield: -70% and damage

So if an enemy uses a spell on you, the resistance would sum up to 120% resistance, without counting that of your own gear. This spell should do 0 damage but it doesn't. However, this was a long time ago and I have gotten over it, but I'd still like at least something close to an answer.

Survivor
Apr 07, 2014
9
Because when it come to calculations each shield is figured by itself. for example: you have three 50% shields. The spell does 200 damage. The math goes like this: 50%of 200 is 100 for first shield. 50% of 100 is 50 for second shield. 50% of 50 is 25 for third shield. Hope that clears things up.

Explorer
Jul 29, 2009
76
Max Sterling on May 14, 2015 wrote:
This is something that I have been wondering, ever since my first ever and wizard got Tower Shield and Volcano Shield: if the sum of the shields go over 100%, why does the enemy spell does not do 0 damage? Here's an example:

You have a Tower Shield: -50% damage
And a Volcano Shield: -70% and damage

So if an enemy uses a spell on you, the resistance would sum up to 120% resistance, without counting that of your own gear. This spell should do 0 damage but it doesn't. However, this was a long time ago and I have gotten over it, but I'd still like at least something close to an answer.
When they do the math on this it doesn't actually add the shields. For example, let's say the attack does 1000 damage:

1000 - 700 dmg(which is the 70%) = 300 remaining dmg
300 - 150 dmg(which is the 50%) = 150 remaining dmg
and then your resist comes into play.

Explorer
Jan 17, 2012
77
This is correct. The percentages multiply, not add.

For example, you have an ice shield that reduces by 80%, leaving 20%, and a tower shield that reduces 50%, leaving 50%. .20 times .5 = .1 or 10%, so any incoming ice spell is reduced 90%, not 130%.

Delver
Apr 08, 2015
250
Can't believe I didn't think about that. Thanks to the 3 of you guys