Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Multiple Protection Shields

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 12, 2009
I have noticed that there seems to be a randomness when I have multiple protection shields up that one may be used, two may be used, or even three may be used in one offensive shot. Usually, I would prefer one used at a time, for I know multiple attacks of that type are coming, thus the multiple shields. Is there any rhyme or reason as to what gets used when? Is is it supposed to be a constant thing that my computer is sometimes messing up? Just curious to find out if I need to rethink that strategy.

I also noticed this same randomness on offensive buffer shields, too.

-Al
Dakota Drake [Life School / Death School]

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
AlBQuirky wrote:
I have noticed that there seems to be a randomness when I have multiple protection shields up that one may be used, two may be used, or even three may be used in one offensive shot. Usually, I would prefer one used at a time, for I know multiple attacks of that type are coming, thus the multiple shields. Is there any rhyme or reason as to what gets used when? Is is it supposed to be a constant thing that my computer is sometimes messing up? Just curious to find out if I need to rethink that strategy.

I also noticed this same randomness on offensive buffer shields, too.

-Al
Dakota Drake [Life School / Death School]

All those that can react (ie, not duplicates) are used up. Therefore, if you have a tower and a fire shield, and are attacked by a fire spell, both will be used. On the other hand, if you have up two tower shields, only one will be used via an attack.

The same applies to offense. Note, last in is first used here, and order is very important when using prisms.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
It isn't random. If you have the same type of shield then it will only use one. But if you use different spells, it will use both. For example: If I use a death shield (-80% to next death attack), and then a legend shield (-70% against next death and myth attacks) and the enemy hits me with a death attack, it will use both death shields. The same applies for shield treasure cards used in conjunction with regular shield treasure cards. They are two different spells (if percentage is different or one is booster pack) therefore it will take both shields.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life

Geographer
Jul 04, 2009
Let's see if I can explain this correctly.

Let's say you are Ice and you choose Storm as your secondary school. At some point you will have learned the Storm/Fire shield from Ice, and the Ice/Fire shield from Storm.

Now, image you are in the Pyramid of the Sun in Krokotopia. Because you will be mostly fighting monsters from the Fire school, you have a couple of each shield cards in your deck.

Now you are in the Chamber of Fire and you are up against 2 Flame Servants. Luckily, you get to go first. You put down a Ice/Fire shield, they both decide to pass. You put down a second Ice/Fire shield. The first Fire Servant physically attacks you when it's fire attack, triggering only 1 of the Fire shields. The second Fire Servant fizzles (because he's fire HAHA). Because the almighty Deck Dealer is not your friend tonight, you don't seem to have any attack cards showing up, so you decide to put down a Storm/Fire shield. The first Flame Servant decides to pass, still being dizzy from the spinning attack it did to you on the previous round. The second Flame Servant cast a Sunbird on you, triggering both Fire shields.

Now, on the first attack, only one Fire shield was activated because the first and second shields you cast on yourself were exactly the same cards (Ice/Fire Shield). On the second attack, both Fire shields were activated because the Fire shields came from 2 different shield cards (Ice/Fire and Storm/Fire).

In this manner, you are able to set up either a layered defense - which gets activated one attack at a time, or a stacked defense - in which all are activated by a single attack.

This works in the same manner when appying buffs (or charms or blades) and traps.

Delver
May 29, 2009
The problem you may be incurring might be that you are using multiple shields of DIFFERENT names or levels. If my fire and balance wizard are fighting, the balance will use an elemental shield (50%) on the fire wizard. Then my fire wizard will use their own fire shield (80%) plus the fire shield from the gobblestone pendant (85%). This allows her to take minimal damage when she performs Immolate. Her total damage is only 4 instead of the 200-350 she would sustain from added offensive boosts like Wyldfire, Elemental Blades, Fire Blades, Dragonblade, and Bladestorm.

Now if you are using only ONE type of shield then it will take turns protecting you. For instance, if you are a storm wizard and use the fire/ice shield and have two or three of them on yourself and the enemy uses fire elf or heckhound, each shield will protect you for all three rounds because they are the same.

If you have a fire shield and a tower on then both would be used up in one turn but you would resist 50% damage for the tower and whatever % the fire shield offered you, but you would not have protection for the next turns.

Alura Hexcaster Grandmaster Sorceress

Survivor
Nov 12, 2009