Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

MMORPG Game Lingo?

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Hello,

So Wizard101 was one of my first and now is my only MMORPG that I play (I did ToonTown and Pirates of the Carribbean Online when those were functioning) that being said it opens me up to all kinds or internet/game lingo that I'd never heard before. (afk, irl, brb, etc were all first encountered by me in Wizard101).

While I know most of the text abreviations some of the terms still elude me: namely what exactly constitutes "a Tank"? I always thought Ice was considered a "tank" because they can absorb hits, yet I've seen the term applied to Storm Wizards and other wizards too. So what exactly is a tank?

What are some other Game words or phrases that you guys are not familiar with? Since joining Wizard101 I've learned about:

afk- away from keyboard
irl -In real life
brb- Be right back
farming- fighting a boss over and over to try and collect stuff
PVP- Player vs. Player
PVE- Player vs. Enemies (like computer bad guys)
AOE- I'm not sure exact letter translation but it means a hit all spell like Blizzard, Meteor or Scarecrow
DOT- Damage over Time
speed run- trying to kill boss as fast as possible (and skip all dialog as fast as possible)
dungeon- an area that is repeat-able for additional loot and only allows a certain number of players in at a time
NPC- Non Playable Character
MMORGP Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game- online computer game with friends where you're a character. different than a MMO (Massive Multiplayer Online Game) in that there are no "quests" in a MMO
Spam- Do the same thing over and over ie cast the same spell over and over and over
Lag- when the game slows down/glitches

All of the various emotes for me are still an issue, but hey just a little everyday I guess.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
You were correct on the meaning of Tank. A tank is a player with heavy resist and health so they can take the damage. This is usually Ice because they have high health, reisist and their spells include taunt which gets enemies to focus on them instead of the party. Storm on the other side is usually the Hammer. Hammer is the big hitter with stats focused on damage, pierce and critical to do the most damage possible.

AOE - Area of Effect

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
Squire
Jul 18, 2009
I usually just get confused by game-specific lingo. Like if I started wiz today, despite playing MMOs for over a decade, I would have no idea what "lulu" or "mali" actually meant. I do my best to understand the abbreviations in the games I'm just getting into but sometimes I'm hopeless.

I'm good with pretty much everything in Wiz and can't think of anything confusing off the top of my head. I actually sometimes bring lingo from other games to this one, not always realizing that not everyone knows what I'm saying, lol. I'll say "ammy" in the place of "amulet" (from runescape) and "furni" in the place of "furniture" (I think I picked this up from habbo hotel, although I haven't played in quite a long time).

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Starblood653 on Jul 25, 2016 wrote:
I usually just get confused by game-specific lingo. Like if I started wiz today, despite playing MMOs for over a decade, I would have no idea what "lulu" or "mali" actually meant. I do my best to understand the abbreviations in the games I'm just getting into but sometimes I'm hopeless.

I'm good with pretty much everything in Wiz and can't think of anything confusing off the top of my head. I actually sometimes bring lingo from other games to this one, not always realizing that not everyone knows what I'm saying, lol. I'll say "ammy" in the place of "amulet" (from runescape) and "furni" in the place of "furniture" (I think I picked this up from habbo hotel, although I haven't played in quite a long time).
I had someone tell me to use Santa. I was like then oh- Santa is Frost Giant! haha.