Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Maybe A Little Cheaper?

1
AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 30, 2011
5
i love wizard101 it's addicting and really fun to play.

I know that over half the players in this game have been forced to stop playing because they cant afford the membership and the crowns. I mean $10 for 1 month is just too expensive. Even the crowns are too expensive. Considering you need henchmen for every spell quest you do by the time you finish you'll be broke.

The cost for 1 year of playing is $120. I'm sure no one would like to pay that much on a game.

I've heard of a mute which lasts for 10 years! That's insane no one would play this game for 10 years. Everyone would have moved on with their lives and think of this game as a memory.

Share your opinions. Please reduce the prices or eventually there will be no one left playing this game.

Defender
Nov 17, 2012
186
Alexander Moonwalk... on Nov 4, 2013 wrote:
i love wizard101 it's addicting and really fun to play.

I know that over half the players in this game have been forced to stop playing because they cant afford the membership and the crowns. I mean $10 for 1 month is just too expensive. Even the crowns are too expensive. Considering you need henchmen for every spell quest you do by the time you finish you'll be broke.

The cost for 1 year of playing is $120. I'm sure no one would like to pay that much on a game.

I've heard of a mute which lasts for 10 years! That's insane no one would play this game for 10 years. Everyone would have moved on with their lives and think of this game as a memory.

Share your opinions. Please reduce the prices or eventually there will be no one left playing this game.
I have soloed every spell quest so far, FYI. I never EVER use henchman for anything. I never feel the need for crowns anyways. If you don't like the price of crowns, don't buy them. As for themembership, it is a mite overpriced, but if you buy it for six or twelve months, you get it for a MUCH cheaper rate. Also, KI needs some way to pay their huge (and amazing) staff.

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
291
Agreed. Crowns are way too expensive, or at least the item. Lower all the costs please! Money does not just magically appear! I am sure Kingsisle has enough money as it is. I think they can afford to lower prices.

Survivor
May 16, 2012
17
Your not the only one who thinks this! I to think that the prices are ridiculously high... most other games i play (free realms, animal jam, club penguin) are only like 5$ per month of membership... and also, the prices in the shop for crowns is ridiculous to, 10$-30$ for just ONE mount?? I could buy one mount in free realms for a little lower than 5$.. and most people need crowns to buy mounts to get around faster and pets to help them out during battle.. I mean like c'mon KinsIsle.. Cant you lower the prices a little? at least so you can buy a mount or pet with 5$ worth of crowns... Who agrees?

Noah WildBlood, level 24

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
2
Alexander Moonwalk... on Nov 4, 2013 wrote:
i love wizard101 it's addicting and really fun to play.

I know that over half the players in this game have been forced to stop playing because they cant afford the membership and the crowns. I mean $10 for 1 month is just too expensive. Even the crowns are too expensive. Considering you need henchmen for every spell quest you do by the time you finish you'll be broke.

The cost for 1 year of playing is $120. I'm sure no one would like to pay that much on a game.

I've heard of a mute which lasts for 10 years! That's insane no one would play this game for 10 years. Everyone would have moved on with their lives and think of this game as a memory.

Share your opinions. Please reduce the prices or eventually there will be no one left playing this game.
Lol I agree. Highly unlikley they will listen to us

Survivor
May 06, 2009
10
Please note that this game is Free to Play, thus the way they get money, like most other MMO's are from Membership and In-Game luxury items. If you are not happy with paying $120 a year, there is always the option to buy a subscription in advance! This not only saves you $40-60 a year (depending on promotions) is allot!

Next, you say that henchmen are always used in card battles? This is not the case. Henchman are a LUXURY item in the game and are not always needed. A good setup deck and proper gear can always overcome any card quest battle! Also note that there are not many spell quests unless you have several wizards. You don'tneed a rank 15 henchman for a lvl 30 spell quest. (Example only)

The reason people are muted is because they broke the rules of the game which you agree to follow when you register and account on Wizard101 via the TOS (Terms of Service). The 10 year mute is actually very generous from KingsIsle because its better then getting banned from the game. If your someone like me that have spent ALLOT of time and money on this game, a mute would be MUCH better then a ban. (No I have not gotten muted from the game, just speculation). They could have gotten muted for several reasons. Main one being bypassing the games chat filter./being to rude to other players. I have been playing the game since 2009, and I have seen my share of people get muted and banned from the game. Its not something that KingsIsle takes likely and never will. This game is made for all ages, no matter your age, you or your Parent/Guardian accepted the TOS and thus punishment can be giving to ANY user that try's to bend the rules of the game!

I hope some of this clears up your concerns, but next time please consider ALL factors before saying the game is to expensive. To some it may, to others it may not. The company needs to make money, just like the rest of us :)

Sorry to any staff member that I may have offended by saying this ;)

Delver
Nov 05, 2011
249
Alexander Moonwalk... on Nov 4, 2013 wrote:
i love wizard101 it's addicting and really fun to play.

I know that over half the players in this game have been forced to stop playing because they cant afford the membership and the crowns. I mean $10 for 1 month is just too expensive. Even the crowns are too expensive. Considering you need henchmen for every spell quest you do by the time you finish you'll be broke.

The cost for 1 year of playing is $120. I'm sure no one would like to pay that much on a game.

I've heard of a mute which lasts for 10 years! That's insane no one would play this game for 10 years. Everyone would have moved on with their lives and think of this game as a memory.

Share your opinions. Please reduce the prices or eventually there will be no one left playing this game.
uh How can somebody play this game for ten years yet? It has only been five years!

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
2636
Alexander Moonwalk... on Nov 4, 2013 wrote:
i love wizard101 it's addicting and really fun to play.

I know that over half the players in this game have been forced to stop playing because they cant afford the membership and the crowns. I mean $10 for 1 month is just too expensive. Even the crowns are too expensive. Considering you need henchmen for every spell quest you do by the time you finish you'll be broke.

The cost for 1 year of playing is $120. I'm sure no one would like to pay that much on a game.

I've heard of a mute which lasts for 10 years! That's insane no one would play this game for 10 years. Everyone would have moved on with their lives and think of this game as a memory.

Share your opinions. Please reduce the prices or eventually there will be no one left playing this game.
Compared to other games Wizards101 maybe less costly. If you can afford it yrly you can get a discount when it runs the sale. Crowns are crowns, they also can be purchased on sale or you can just take advantage of all you can in the game for free and avoid the need for them or henchmen. My main crown use was for stitching high level gear.

I did resort to henchmen for the lvl 86-88 spells on 2 of my wizards but I won't ever do that again. The monsters didn't defeat me but I was defeated by the fact that I could not manage the battles on my own, meaning I can not longer figure the game out well enough to continue in it. When the spell fights get to difficult for my wizard to do that's when I will stop and start a new wizard.

As for 10 yr mute, I think it should be judged by the crime committed. I don't have blinders on and the kids in our family go to public schools, nuff said. Anyone who considers their child too sensitive to see inappropriate for their age things should have those on menu chat and maybe even play the game with them. Lets face it KI is doing the best they can but stuff is still going on and may happen to your child. I believe 90% of the muted are really being told to go away, unless you are hooked to your friends some other ways you are not going to stand for not being able to communicate with any one and rightfully so. Being sentenced as a mute/menu chat in the game is a rough go. Most don't seem to mind making a new account and meeting up with the original friends. The punishment is suppose to be loosing all your earned progress in stuff but many don't have anything worth worrying about.

Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
91
Yes, and no. I say yes to lowering the membership, but maybe not to crowns so much. I mean think about it. If they lowered crowns, wouldn't it let all the low levels with parents who spoil them have a pet with a level 50 spell? It would be a big cheat. They would reach grandmaster within one week. They could, however, lower prices on crowns though, and higher the prices of the stuff you buy with the crowns. Certain items though. Not all the items. Maybe some of the pets, staffs, henchmen, and mounts? Something like that. Even so, they do sales on crowns and membership too, they just don't do it permanently. That's why it's called a sale. This a Free to Play MMO Game though, so they need money to pay the people who work to make this game the way it is. Face it, they need money. At least you get some free to play zones, and practice Pet Derby and PVP. But ten year mute? It's true, no one will even play it after ten years. Maybe they will, but I doubt it. Highly.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3171
Alexander Moonwalk... on Nov 4, 2013 wrote:
i love wizard101 it's addicting and really fun to play.

I know that over half the players in this game have been forced to stop playing because they cant afford the membership and the crowns. I mean $10 for 1 month is just too expensive. Even the crowns are too expensive. Considering you need henchmen for every spell quest you do by the time you finish you'll be broke.

The cost for 1 year of playing is $120. I'm sure no one would like to pay that much on a game.

I've heard of a mute which lasts for 10 years! That's insane no one would play this game for 10 years. Everyone would have moved on with their lives and think of this game as a memory.

Share your opinions. Please reduce the prices or eventually there will be no one left playing this game.
I agree that this game is addicting and stupidly fun (90 percent of the time). Your suggestion that it's overpriced, however, is absolutely ridiculous.

I run 2 accounts and have subs for both of them, which I buy on sale for 60 bucks apiece, and I definitely get my money's worth (except in NaNovember, when I'm off writing terrible fan-fiction and don't have as much time to play). My roommate pays the same price ($120) for 6 months of WoW, and he only has one account. So I'm definitely getting the better deal.

"Considering you need henchmen for every spell quest you do by the time you finish you'll be broke."

lolwut?



I started off as a solo player. I now have a close group of friends in-game, but a lot have moved on and so I'm back to soloing. All of my wizards~ even Storm, which has nothing for health or defensive stats~ can solo most Azteca boss battles by herself; the only times I buy henchmen are when I'm bored and want the battle to end faster... there has only ever been one instance in which I actually *needed* one.

Speaking of Crowns, I only buy those if there is a specific item that I want, or they are on sale~ in which case I buy 2 of the biggest block (60,000 + 30,000 free), so I'm getting 3 blocks of Crowns for the price of 2. They last forever~ learn to budget.

-

Yes, there is a such thing as a 10-year mute. But you'd have to do something really bad, like curse around the filters multiple times or engage in simulated 'adult' activities... in which case you have violated the terms of use, scarred everyone around you in the process, and totally deserve to be muted for 10 years. If you want to use that language in-game, then find a game that permits that sort of language and behaviour.

"No one would play this game for 10 years."

Istarted playing this game when I was 23, and I will continue to play it when I'm 33, 53, 93 (by which point it'll be wizard100001, and I'll be breaking out of my tomb to play it), as long as it's still fun to me. Point is, I will continue to play this game until I 1) get bored, 2) grow up (like that'll ever happen), or 3) die.

-von "i'm not getting older, i'm leveling up" shadowsong

90
90
87
63
40
40
23

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
557
Ruthless Anthony on Nov 4, 2013 wrote:
Agreed. Crowns are way too expensive, or at least the item. Lower all the costs please! Money does not just magically appear! I am sure Kingsisle has enough money as it is. I think they can afford to lower prices.
You assume they keep it all in bank accounts accruing interest. Or you think they all have mansions, and fancy cars. That they throw parties every weekend. Foolish thoughts to think.

The company pays animators, programmers, level and monster designers, and voice actors. Would you like to be a voice actor constantly looking for cartoons, games, or animated movies competing with other voice actors trying to make a living? Then when you get a semi stable gig for an mmo, you find out you are getting a pay cut because players demand the company lowers its prices. Com'on! They have so many people on their payrole and all of them need to get paid.
Those "profits" the company makes? they go to the investors, Money from investors is a long term loan with interest. KI is not debt free, as you have been assuming. They owe a heck of a lot of money to people and companies. They owe it with interest. If they don't pay enough on time, legal action ensues. If enough of the investors get fed up, the investors shut down the game by legal means.

Happened to Trickster Online USA, the players thought everything was fine, then suddenly, it is announced that game was closing in a month. Wasn't making enough money so the investors decided to cash it out.

I would much rather pay a higher premium to keep all my virtual items intact, rather than lose it all, like I did in that other game.

Survivor
Dec 04, 2012
47
I agree the prices need to go down. And with the prices are these days most of us won't be playing much longer. KI plz fix your prices

level 90
level 90
level 18
level 15
level 15
level 1

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2631
The average PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii game costs 60 dollars. So for a year's subscription you get more content than two console games that may last you for about three months each (then they require you to pay for DLCs).

Champion
Jul 04, 2012
495
I agree. My parents have been paying $80.00 for this game, and its way to much.

The crowns are so expensive, why do we even have this whole crown system?

I know you need money to keep the game running, but please, lower the prices a little. No one will keep playing. My parents won't pay for it forever, and i certainly don't want to waste my college money on this game. I can do around $40.00 a year though.

Angela Gem
Level 72
Life School

Defender
Feb 27, 2009
137
I got a solution. Once a week, during every month, sales go down by 25% on everything to keep the players happy. If you can't do it every month, that's fine. So here's how much a year sub would be.
It would be 45$ for a year or keep it that way but at the end of the sub or when it renews, you would have to pay 15$ at the end of it and if that sale goes on again during that week, it would be 45$ + the 15$ you owed so it would be as much as a normal membership meaning for the next year, you go to pay the regular price nevertheless so when it ends, you don't got to pay anything since that 15$ you payed added it on so it would be at a regular price. Then the cycle reverts again if that sale happens again so it will be back and forth on memberships. For everything else, it would just be 25% off. You know what I'm getting at. If you want me to do another example, I will.

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
291
I really want a trent mount but there is no way I am spending about 25$ for a single mount. That is ludicrous. I believe it is time to lower the crowns prices please!
I feel this is getting a little ridiculous.
I know this has been brought up, but I would like to see a difference. Don't you guys have enough money as it is? Cut us generous players who pay monthly to play your game some slack. It has become to a point where there are level 15 wizards with such amazing gear because they have parents who spoil them, or they would rather invest money in a game than elsewhere.
I don't mind crowns, not at all. However, I do mind the prices. I have invested hundreds of dollars over the two accounts that I have owned, and I feel it is time to lower the prices.
With tens of millions of players paying monthly and paying with crowns, I think you can afford to drop some prices.

Explorer
Nov 11, 2012
88
I agree...the mount that I have now i bought with gold. Personally i also refuse to buy crowns and pay 30$ worth of real money for a on game mount....I think thats stupid I mean dont people have bills to pay and kids to take care of ??. I mostly buy gift cards I only have one wizard and i have thought about making other wizards in the past but now since I am in Azteca. I think i am only going to have this one wizard. I mean so far I have spent almost 80 dollars...over time. Also, I think that if someone buys a gift card they should also get crowns...i mean i know they have to make money but if i'm paying ten dollars for one month why not get crowns too??? i mean it doesnt have to be 5,000 crowns but the option of 2,000 or even enough to buy a few henchmen and some hoard packs would be nice knowing that i'm getting my monies worth.

lvl 84

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
503
People, these game creators often don't get that much of the profits that the game generates. As someone else pointed out, they have to pay everyone that works for or with them, which means that out of all the money they make, they only get a small portion of it.

Also, I'd like to point out that you don't need anything in the crowns shop. I get by just fine without crowns gear, both in PvP and out of it. The mounts? You can buy one with gold or just walk around everywhere, it won't kill you.

In the year's membership you're getting a better deal. For one year you pay 80 dollars, compared to twelve one month payments, which totals up to 120 dollars. It may seem expensive, but if you consider that you're saving 40 dollars, it's not that much. Another point I'd like to make is that you don't have to have a membership. You can stop paying for a while and still garden/train pets/keep up with friends. A membership isn't everything.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2013
21
I have two subs and its well worth it to me. I don't see how anybody can think 10 bucks is too much for this game. This is a great game. I would pay double that so they can continue to release new content to keep the game fresh like they have been. I doubt they make much money on the subs, crowns is probably where most of there profit comes in. I usually spend at least 60 every couple of months and I link my two accounts to share crowns with all my wizards.

Defender
Jan 21, 2011
194
Actually, my thoughts are that W101 is sorting out those who like the game enough to pay for it and those who aren't willing to pay the money. However I do agree that these prices can be a little more than reasonable in some moments

Survivor
Aug 09, 2009
29
Hi there!

I agree that the crown pricing is way too expensive.
I'm currently trying to save for an IPhone but I'm torn because I really would love the crowns. Being that 5,000 crowns is barely anything if you're planning to buy a mount,pet,henchmen,packs, ect. I can't afford $80 for 60,000 crowns. I wish hard bosses would drop crowns. Like in Zafaria, Mirror Lake and Shining Mountain was very difficult and without a life wizard there, no one had healing spells. But to finish off, It would be nice for people who can't afford a lot for the game to have crowns less expensive.

Okay I'm done rambling.

Miranda Starblood lvl 73

Defender
Dec 16, 2009
193
Dark Spirit on Nov 5, 2013 wrote:
Your not the only one who thinks this! I to think that the prices are ridiculously high... most other games i play (free realms, animal jam, club penguin) are only like 5$ per month of membership... and also, the prices in the shop for crowns is ridiculous to, 10$-30$ for just ONE mount?? I could buy one mount in free realms for a little lower than 5$.. and most people need crowns to buy mounts to get around faster and pets to help them out during battle.. I mean like c'mon KinsIsle.. Cant you lower the prices a little? at least so you can buy a mount or pet with 5$ worth of crowns... Who agrees?

Noah WildBlood, level 24
W101 has higher operation costs than other games.
Free Realms is made by Sony Online Entertainment, meaning they have income to fall back on if FR doesn't make too much money. I haven't witnessed any new updates either, other than sales and repeated events.
I've played Animal Jam, and it's very basic.
Club Penguin: Browser-based game without too much complication. The fact that it's popular means they can receive high profits. (In recent years, they've climbed it up to $8 per month, nearly as much as W101).

You don't need crowns to play the game
You can buy mounts with gold as well!
You do not buy pets that help you in battle, you train and hatch over and over again, taking much time and gold. Pets aren't requirements anyways, as most people are middle class and not millionaires.
Crown items aren't necessarily better than items that non-crown players have. They might be strong in one stat but weak in another, such as having critical but no block. Crafted (in the higher levels) and dropped gear (such as the Hades gear) is much better and is specialized to each school.

Survivor
May 05, 2009
40
ScotDragon Flame on Nov 5, 2013 wrote:
Please note that this game is Free to Play, thus the way they get money, like most other MMO's are from Membership and In-Game luxury items. If you are not happy with paying $120 a year, there is always the option to buy a subscription in advance! This not only saves you $40-60 a year (depending on promotions) is allot!

Next, you say that henchmen are always used in card battles? This is not the case. Henchman are a LUXURY item in the game and are not always needed. A good setup deck and proper gear can always overcome any card quest battle! Also note that there are not many spell quests unless you have several wizards. You don'tneed a rank 15 henchman for a lvl 30 spell quest. (Example only)

The reason people are muted is because they broke the rules of the game which you agree to follow when you register and account on Wizard101 via the TOS (Terms of Service). The 10 year mute is actually very generous from KingsIsle because its better then getting banned from the game. If your someone like me that have spent ALLOT of time and money on this game, a mute would be MUCH better then a ban. (No I have not gotten muted from the game, just speculation). They could have gotten muted for several reasons. Main one being bypassing the games chat filter./being to rude to other players. I have been playing the game since 2009, and I have seen my share of people get muted and banned from the game. Its not something that KingsIsle takes likely and never will. This game is made for all ages, no matter your age, you or your Parent/Guardian accepted the TOS and thus punishment can be giving to ANY user that try's to bend the rules of the game!

I hope some of this clears up your concerns, but next time please consider ALL factors before saying the game is to expensive. To some it may, to others it may not. The company needs to make money, just like the rest of us :)

Sorry to any staff member that I may have offended by saying this ;)
Okay. I see your point. But the point the person is making is fair. It's costs A LOT of money to but ONE item in the crowns shop. Kingsisle has A LOT of money, yes it is a free game but only 50% is. C'mon is that fair? I personally don't think so. Yes, some people do push things to the limit but some things in W101 are unfair to the players. I'm a w101 player till' the end but they can lower just a little bit of the prices. :)

Defender
Sep 09, 2011
105
Hi there.

I personaly think that prices are not that much high in compare to other games similar to Wizard101.
Peoples need to think real good what they really get in return. If for some reason you can't pay that much just buy some computer games in store and play them instead of W101. Yes they earn good profit from this game as much we buy but that is their job like any other its not easy to spend overtime on work to make something possible i even saw whole staff in some article i will tell ya its army of artists working daily on new ideas for both games Pirate101 and W101. Happens that some kids didn't try all games and maybe they don't know what is what what is given to them from W101 but i can sure tell you small part what you get from this game:

1. This game doesn't lose performance
2. Here you can really see how great quality of game is
3. Lot of users ( don't know exact number ) but its millions
4. Its all ages game play but still has that control over chat system
which i think is best of best and not like in other games
5. There is also timing for updates which i think is really fast
6. Items hmm well if i see something great i buy it cause they make it
great looking all though some items look like they made them quick lol
7. Lot of choice over friends good or bad, loyal or party crashers

Thats just small part of cake which i just scratched over time in game you see all
and not just commons like some peoples do that. I am in game well needed at least
5 months for that dragon lol but i dont mind that i enjoying this game all 4 years and
7 months i been playing this game. Trought that time my account is worth of 1000$
maybe more but i dont mind it cause i plan on playing it even when i hit older years.
This is my life picture, my play style and one thing to add is that we need to thank KI
staff for amazing work they put in this game to make million users happy. Thank you KI staff!

Michael BlueBright, Myth Conjurer, Level 90, Technomancer

Survivor
Jul 08, 2009
37
gummybears000999 on Nov 22, 2013 wrote:
Okay. I see your point. But the point the person is making is fair. It's costs A LOT of money to but ONE item in the crowns shop. Kingsisle has A LOT of money, yes it is a free game but only 50% is. C'mon is that fair? I personally don't think so. Yes, some people do push things to the limit but some things in W101 are unfair to the players. I'm a w101 player till' the end but they can lower just a little bit of the prices. :)
How do you know how much money KI has? Have you seen annual statements or their balance sheet? Until you've ran a business you have no idea how much you pay out in overhead, so you shouldn't make that kind of assumption.

On another note, it seems that there are a lot of young people complaining in this thread about the cost of Wizard101. Have you tried to make money on your own to purchase what you want instead of putting it on your parents? I tell you what, I've been trying to find a kid to shovel snow and mow my yard (and I pay well - $20 for less than an hour's work) and it is impossible to find someone who will actually stick with it. I started babysitting at 12 then worked my way up to busing tables, retail, etc. all the way through college and there was very little my parents had to buy for me other than school clothes and other essentials. I've filed a W-2 since the age of 14.

And before you say there isn't a way for you to make money, how hard have you tried?

1