Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

malistare or morganthe?!?!

1
AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 28, 2010
58
i feel lie malistare was a bigger threat morganthe just runs away and never really does anything we cant fix i mean malistare was about to change everything morganthe i jus feel confused what is her backstory? any family husband?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3166
lordfuzzywubbums on Dec 29, 2012 wrote:
i feel lie malistare was a bigger threat morganthe just runs away and never really does anything we cant fix i mean malistare was about to change everything morganthe i jus feel confused what is her backstory? any family husband?
yeah, malistaire was awesome... he had a personality, and a motive that made him easy to love and hate at the same time. like, i felt sorry for him, but it didn't stop me from wanting to clock him in the schnoz.

as for morganthe, i just can't get behind her (as an antagonist). i don't like her, don't understand her motives, and really don't care to. the female villainess archetype is something that's been overdone, burnt to a crisp (not Belladonna) and cooked for 3 hours more... not to mention that she has all the personality of a cardboard box slathered in egg mayonnaise. and yeah, all she does is run away.

-von
malistaire minion, archmage of awesomeness, visceral avenger.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
406
Yeah in the past i remember it was like always a big moment when malistaire did something, like unleashing the undead, stealing the krokonomican if thats how you spell it, I forgot. My point is we were able to get a clearer idea of kinda what his intentions where and i gotta trying to awaken an ancient titan is pretty cool. Morganthe on the other hand was like um yeah, i'm not really sure if she ever learned all the astral magic, the deck that she wanted in zafaria, whatever happened in avalon, and what was with her activities in azteca for? Seriously it's gonna be amazing to see if she was actually any threat at all.

Survivor
Aug 22, 2009
22
Yeah, I agree with your points, but I guess KI wants to mix it up a bit, like make a mysterious character, you're always guessing of what, in this case, Morganthe, is going to do next. But I also think that by this time KI should give us a good look of who this person really is.
Jazzy Thunderstaff Lvl 86 Pyromancer

Explorer
Dec 19, 2010
54
Morganthe says from the "shadows I strike" . Morganthe has the deck of shadows wizards use decks to attack. Strike is another word for attack. So she will strike from her shadows.

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
173
Keep in mind that Malistaire big intentions became truly identified in DragonSpyre, the final world of the first arc. We can expect to see Morganthe's true motives by the last world.

Survivor
Nov 10, 2011
46
In my opinion, Malistaire was an incredibly interesting villain. His motif made sense and was fairly obvious, not to the point of being so obvious that it made you want to face palm whenever anyone didn't know what it was, but also not to the point of being so obscure that you had absolutely no idea why you were fighting him. I mean, who wouldn't want to revive their loved ones? We could relate to Malistaire, yet still want to defeat him because destroying worlds to revive one person is just silly. Not to mention his history was pretty awesome and you could see the character development in how he seemed to become crazy when Sylvia died. Cyrus Drake felt like he was still his brother somewhere inside, Sylvia was a voice of reason, even some Death wizards just wanted him to go back to normal and teach Death again.

On the other hand, Morganthe just seems...bland. We don't really understand what her motif is besides destroying the Spiral, but that's what every villain wants to do, and they usually have a reason to do so. I have no idea why Morganthe is trying to destroy people's lives, and it makes me feel like there's no point in chasing her around because she really hasn't done anything bad. I understand that it can be interesting and unique to have a mysterious villain with shrouded ideas and plots, but I feel like Morganthe is so mysterious that I don't really have a reason to fight her. With Malistaire, you slowly found out how and why he was going to destroy the worlds of the Spiral. You really wanted to defeat him for the cause of good. This is not the case with Morganthe. I feel like we're supposed to know all of this with her riddle, but it doesn't tell you much. What I'm really confused about is what part of the riddle happened in Avalon, as it seems like the horn in the prophecy is about Huracan Vicious Sky. I also can't relate to her because of the lack of her history.

Overall, Malistaire is a much better villain.

-Daniel SoulWalker, Promethean Sorcerer

Explorer
Dec 24, 2008
83
Dr Von on Dec 30, 2012 wrote:
yeah, malistaire was awesome... he had a personality, and a motive that made him easy to love and hate at the same time. like, i felt sorry for him, but it didn't stop me from wanting to clock him in the schnoz.

as for morganthe, i just can't get behind her (as an antagonist). i don't like her, don't understand her motives, and really don't care to. the female villainess archetype is something that's been overdone, burnt to a crisp (not Belladonna) and cooked for 3 hours more... not to mention that she has all the personality of a cardboard box slathered in egg mayonnaise. and yeah, all she does is run away.

-von
malistaire minion, archmage of awesomeness, visceral avenger.
Personality of a cardboard box slathered in egg mayonnaise? thats some personality. i have to admit that Malistaire is a better villian than Morganthe. He let us fight him at one point while Morganthe kept sending her pets to deal with us. I just hope that her storyline will make more since when i finish Avalon and go to Azteca.

Erica ShadowRunner lvl 81 Balance~ over and out

Explorer
Aug 21, 2009
69
Am I the only person that likes Morganthe better than Malistaire?

  • Her motives? Rewrite the Spiral. She doesn't even need a reason, it could be from pure ambition of power. She has shown this kind of ambition at an early age when she went against Ambrose's rules and took the Book of Forbidden Knowledge (Ghost Avalon) to poison Artorius with the Horned Crown.
  • What did we do in Avalon? Get the Sword of Kings. Don't you guys remember that the whole questing in Avalon was searching for this Sword? A weapon that could be strong enough to face her?
  • Did she learned the Astral Magic? OF COURSE SHE DID! That's how she controlled Xibalba!
  • She's not a threat? She destroyed a WHOLE world! Azteca!
  • She always runs away? What did Malistaire do? Stay and surrender? He also sent all of his minions to entertain us while he accomplished his plans. Besides, we have gotten the chance to interact with Morganthe more than we had with Malistaire.

In the Malistaire Arc, the worlds were not released at the same time and neither the story. We just have to wait to see how this story unfolds.

Morganthe is a more dark villain. She's even more powerful than Malistaire, doing what he couldn't: Resurrecting someone!

In my opinion, Morganthe is far better than Malistaire, in all aspects.

Explorer
Dec 19, 2010
54
Omiguy on Jan 5, 2013 wrote:
Am I the only person that likes Morganthe better than Malistaire?

  • Her motives? Rewrite the Spiral. She doesn't even need a reason, it could be from pure ambition of power. She has shown this kind of ambition at an early age when she went against Ambrose's rules and took the Book of Forbidden Knowledge (Ghost Avalon) to poison Artorius with the Horned Crown.
  • What did we do in Avalon? Get the Sword of Kings. Don't you guys remember that the whole questing in Avalon was searching for this Sword? A weapon that could be strong enough to face her?
  • Did she learned the Astral Magic? OF COURSE SHE DID! That's how she controlled Xibalba!
  • She's not a threat? She destroyed a WHOLE world! Azteca!
  • She always runs away? What did Malistaire do? Stay and surrender? He also sent all of his minions to entertain us while he accomplished his plans. Besides, we have gotten the chance to interact with Morganthe more than we had with Malistaire.

In the Malistaire Arc, the worlds were not released at the same time and neither the story. We just have to wait to see how this story unfolds.

Morganthe is a more dark villain. She's even more powerful than Malistaire, doing what he couldn't: Resurrecting someone!

In my opinion, Morganthe is far better than Malistaire, in all aspects.
I agree many vilains just simply wan power and to rewrite the world (or in this case the spiral) in their image. I also think that Morganthe way better than Malistare.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2008
1
Mukurkur on Jan 9, 2013 wrote:
I agree many vilains just simply wan power and to rewrite the world (or in this case the spiral) in their image. I also think that Morganthe way better than Malistare.
I agree with this guy ^ some people just crave power and that is Morganthe.
And btw Morganthe is way more powerful then Malistare

Survivor
Feb 13, 2011
32
I personally like morganthe better than malistaire....... You probably will fight morganthe after azteca hopefully......

Explorer
Dec 28, 2010
58
1998cam2 on Jan 10, 2013 wrote:
I agree with this guy ^ some people just crave power and that is Morganthe.
And btw Morganthe is way more powerful then Malistare
ok what if morganthe does take over the spiral her reason cannot be that she just wanted power you have to have a reason malistare did it for his wife! who is morganthe doing it for no one why is she doing it we dont know anything you barely see her at all

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
406
lordfuzzywubbums on Jan 12, 2013 wrote:
ok what if morganthe does take over the spiral her reason cannot be that she just wanted power you have to have a reason malistare did it for his wife! who is morganthe doing it for no one why is she doing it we dont know anything you barely see her at all
Many villains just want power, but thats what made malistaire so interesting, at least give Morganthe some kind of reason.

Mastermind
Jul 04, 2010
310
like malistare better.

and morganthe is doing it for her self

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
503
Overall the Morganthe story line was poorly written.

However, maybe she's searching for a long-lost brother or sister(the wizard maybe?) that would make it interesting.

Survivor
Oct 10, 2010
5
I agree with Planeswalker1. Morganthe is bland, any one of the major villains in each world of the Morganthe arc is more interesting than her. Her motivation is very nebulous, and while I agree that we will find out by the time we get to the last world what it is that drives her, I for one really don't care, LOL! In contrast, you were told about the death of Sylvia Drake, and how it affected Malastaire fairly early on. You knew what it was that drove him to do what he did, heartbreak, loss, and a need to conquer worlds in order to bring his beloved back to life. Too bad that most people will be so bored that they won't care when the story breaks on Morganthe. Shoulda thought this one out a little better, KI.

Explorer
Dec 19, 2010
54
lordfuzzywubbums on Jan 12, 2013 wrote:
ok what if morganthe does take over the spiral her reason cannot be that she just wanted power you have to have a reason malistare did it for his wife! who is morganthe doing it for no one why is she doing it we dont know anything you barely see her at all
Morganthe is doing it for herself like I said before a lot of villains just want power and complete control over everyone and everything.

William Nightmancer Promethean Thaumaturge

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3166
Mukurkur on Jan 28, 2013 wrote:
Morganthe is doing it for herself like I said before a lot of villains just want power and complete control over everyone and everything.

William Nightmancer Promethean Thaumaturge
yes, but villains with purely selfish motives are (generally speaking) not very good villains, because there's nothing for the player (or reader, since i'm a writer) to relate to or identify with.

that's why, from a literary perspective, malistaire is the better villain.

1) sylvia's death:

most people have lost a loved one, be it a close friend or a family member, and can understand that kind of raw heartbreak and loneliness; if you were in the same position, wouldn't you do everything you could to being that person back, even if it came at a higher price? death is something very real that affects people every day, which makes him human in the players' eyes.

2) the culmination dialogue ("i failed you, sylvia...)

necromancers raise the dead. but even malistaire, the self-professed master of death, couldn't bring his wife back. so, just like the runner who places 2nd in a relay or worker passed over for a promotion in favour of someone less qualified, it would undoubtedly be a devastating blow to the ego. you feel weak, powerless, inferior... again, who hasn't been there?

-

if morganthe's only motive is to rewrite the spiral, good for her. but the why is missing~ players don't care about her because they can't relate to her, because there's nothing for them to relate to. no matter how supposedly "evil" a villain is, it's important to humanize them, if they are to have any sort of emotional impact on the player (or reader).

-von
writer, malistaire minion, lover of the beautiful dark.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
771
I must say that if I was to join a villain it would certainly be Morganthe over Malistair. When you meet Morganthe at the final dungeon of Zafaria she asks if you will join her and I really wanted to say yes! I don't understand her motives but she speaks well and looks awesome. Perfect attributes for any leader. I would love to be a general in her magical army, what a hoot! Maybe she will give me Dragonspyre or Avalon for my own personal kingdom to rule. I would start up my own magical school. An advanced academy for warlocks! With her fashion sense and my desire to become the most powerful wizard in the spiral we would be unbeatable. Muh ha ha ha!!!

Explorer
Dec 28, 2010
58
Your not getting it if you teamed with morganthe she would backstab you like everyone else all she wants is your power and for her to rule tne spiral ALONE even if you were in her army she would throw you away when she and if shemdid take over the spiral

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3166
lordfuzzywubbums on Feb 3, 2013 wrote:
Your not getting it if you teamed with morganthe she would backstab you like everyone else all she wants is your power and for her to rule tne spiral ALONE even if you were in her army she would throw you away when she and if shemdid take over the spiral
i like to think of it in context.

malistaire=severus snape
morganthe=lord voldemort or *shudder* dolores umbridge

like morganthe, voldy was selfish and power-hungry; his sole purpose for existing was to destroy the hero (harry potter, in this case) and often threw his minions under the bus in the process; umbridge was also in it for herself, and i didn't particularly care for either one, because there was nothing to connect me to them. she's like maleficent~ cookie-cutter disney villain, all the way through.

snape, and malistaire were both driven by love~ in this scenario, sylvia is lily potter, the object of his affections. love is possibly the most raw human emotion, and it's something most anyone can understand; the fact that he has feelings makes it easier to empathize with his character... i wanted to hug him, but not before i clocked him in the schnoz.

morganthe is evil, but malistaire is just misunderstood... and that's why i like him.

we'd definitely be a dream team if we paired up~ i like to look at things objectively, so i'd keep him (and his destruct-o-nomitron complex) in line, and i have more than enough hugs to go around. we'll wear matching black and green costumes, and maybe we'd raid morganthe's closet, too.... her only redeeming quality is that she has better dresses than us.

-von
literary crusader of amazing amazingness

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
503
I have to say, with Morganthe I'm getting bored. I can predict what will happen, because her type of villain is the all-too-predictable kind. She has no absolute motive yet, which also bores me.

Oh sure, Malistaire's motive wasn't entirely clear until Dragonspyre, but we at least got to know why in Wizard City. After that I found I could sympathize with him which made me like him a little more as a character in general.

For all we know, Morganthe's motive is to gain power and gain it fast! Her personality seems a little rushed, even if her graphics don't appear to be. (On a side note, I really want that dress. Minus the spiders. )

Survivor
Jun 07, 2012
17
The Flamboyant Arc... on Jan 4, 2013 wrote:
In my opinion, Malistaire was an incredibly interesting villain. His motif made sense and was fairly obvious, not to the point of being so obvious that it made you want to face palm whenever anyone didn't know what it was, but also not to the point of being so obscure that you had absolutely no idea why you were fighting him. I mean, who wouldn't want to revive their loved ones? We could relate to Malistaire, yet still want to defeat him because destroying worlds to revive one person is just silly. Not to mention his history was pretty awesome and you could see the character development in how he seemed to become crazy when Sylvia died. Cyrus Drake felt like he was still his brother somewhere inside, Sylvia was a voice of reason, even some Death wizards just wanted him to go back to normal and teach Death again.

On the other hand, Morganthe just seems...bland. We don't really understand what her motif is besides destroying the Spiral, but that's what every villain wants to do, and they usually have a reason to do so. I have no idea why Morganthe is trying to destroy people's lives, and it makes me feel like there's no point in chasing her around because she really hasn't done anything bad. I understand that it can be interesting and unique to have a mysterious villain with shrouded ideas and plots, but I feel like Morganthe is so mysterious that I don't really have a reason to fight her. With Malistaire, you slowly found out how and why he was going to destroy the worlds of the Spiral. You really wanted to defeat him for the cause of good. This is not the case with Morganthe. I feel like we're supposed to know all of this with her riddle, but it doesn't tell you much. What I'm really confused about is what part of the riddle happened in Avalon, as it seems like the horn in the prophecy is about Huracan Vicious Sky. I also can't relate to her because of the lack of her history.

Overall, Malistaire is a much better villain.

-Daniel SoulWalker, Promethean Sorcerer
I disagree i think Morganthe is a better villian

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
599
I like both. Though we don't know much about morganth, I find her a big threat. I always listen to when characters mention her in quests, and she has done alot. She has all of these agents, and she is a spider-freak. That is very creepy, I find her scary

1