Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

low levels trying to friend higher levels

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Apr 13, 2011
so i am getting a little annoyed that low levels keep trying to become my friend and whats most annoying is that they don't stop trying until i literally have to port away or switch realms. why do they have to annoy us like this. i am fixing my spell deck and boom low level begins the annoying process. i just wish KI would make it so players could only friend someone who is close to there own level.

Kyle Earthshard () Level 61

Kane Star () Level 24

Delver
Sep 22, 2010
the awesome pyroma... on Mar 2, 2014 wrote:
so i am getting a little annoyed that low levels keep trying to become my friend and whats most annoying is that they don't stop trying until i literally have to port away or switch realms. why do they have to annoy us like this. i am fixing my spell deck and boom low level begins the annoying process. i just wish KI would make it so players could only friend someone who is close to there own level.

Kane Star () Level 24
First off i believe you were a low level wizard once your self .... maybe you didn't need to ask for friendship .... maybe you did .... but most of these wizards are legit and need help and guidance .... and yes their are those that already have a high level wizard finished it and starting another knowing that some parts of the game are harder then others and would like that friend to count on to help were needed .... this game is Family and friend based .... that is the base function of the game to have friends to quest with for as we all know there are some dungeons that you need friends to finish with .... the ones that really get annoying are the ones that want to be friends just to ask you for gifts .... then delete you once you say no .... but please don't get snobbish to the young wizards .... they are learning this game just as you did when you first started ....

Thanks For Reading

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
So, normally when low level wizards ask to be your friend, they want help. If you have time, then help them! If not, then say yes, go to another realm, remove them, and go on. Besides, isn't there an option that auto rejects all friends? And there is hidden to friends.

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
The way you talk about lower level wizards comes across as quite unkind remember we were all once lower level wizards....I also believe that there is a button that can stop all friend request if you get to annoyed by them.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
So set your friend requests to "off". Problem solved :)

I've found nice people at every level though, so I am glad we can friend anyone we want.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2011

Kane Star () Level 24
No offense, but level 61 isn't much of a HIGH level, but is still high.
SECOND OF ALL: You need to learn that if they try so hard to add you, they think you are cool, and if I were you, I'd be happy to be considered cool.

Jacob Stormcloud Level 95 (Storm)
Jacob Level 50 (Balance)
Jacob Stormcloud Level 48 (Life
Jacob Dragon Level 32 (Fire)

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
Sounds like you need a nap!

Defender
May 01, 2011
Ok, so being level 61 isn't that high at all. I bet levels higher than you can get annoyed if you friended them. Low levels trying to friend you just means they think your actually really cool, and you should be happy instead of complaining.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2012

Kane Star () Level 24
No offense, but legendary isn't much of a HIGH level even though it is high to most players.
but the reason they try to add you is for guidance, help, or because they look up to you and think you are cool
If I were you I would simply click the add friend button or just turn my friend requests off in the privacy options.

Joshua Dragonsword Level 82.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Hey guise: take a chill pill, srsly.

I am with Dakota 100% on this. As the owner of 3 promethean wizards, I play with friend requests disabled at all times; it is my experience that the random low-levels who try to add me don't want help: they want someone to use as a teleport-pad, power-level them, gift them, or do their quests for them. I don't even power-level my own characters, so I sure as heck won't do it for yours.

That said, if someone legitimately asks for help and is polite/willing to learn, I have no problem helping him. I'll put on my helper's deck (buffs and healing only) and make them do the work. I help those who help themselves: while I don't have time to walk you through an entire dungeon play-by-play, I will certainly give you pointers, especially if it's your first time through the instance.

I sought out experienced players in my noob days. I looked for people who could teach me things like proper deck setup, how to get a good pet, where to find the best gear (and this was before waterworks, lol)... and, if no one could help me, I looked for the answers myself. At no point did I expect other players to carry me: I listened graciously to the advice given and tweaked it according to what worked for me.

It's like the old saying goes... give a wizard a fish and feed her for a day; teach her how to fish, and you feed her for life; teaching someone how to be self-sufficient can go a lot further than you may realize (here's looking at you, storm wizards!). But I put in the time, and so should you.

-von
promethean bal/death/storm, legendary life, master myth/ice, magus pyro noob

Defender
May 11, 2012
low levels trying to friend higher levels
Hey guise: take a chill pill, srsly.

I am with Dakota 100% on this. As the owner of 3 promethean wizards, I play with friend requests disabled at all times; it is my experience that the random low-levels who try to add me don't want help: they want someone to use as a teleport-pad, power-level them, gift them, or do their quests for them. I don't even power-level my own characters, so I sure as heck won't do it for yours.

That said, if someone legitimately asks for help and is polite/willing to learn, I have no problem helping him. I'll put on my helper's deck (buffs and healing only) and make them do the work. I help those who help themselves: while I don't have time to walk you through an entire dungeon play-by-play, I will certainly give you pointers, especially if it's your first time through the instance.

I sought out experienced players in my noob days. I looked for people who could teach me things like proper deck setup, how to get a good pet, where to find the best gear (and this was before waterworks, lol)... and, if no one could help me, I looked for the answers myself. At no point did I expect other players to carry me: I listened graciously to the advice given and tweaked it according to what worked for me.

It's like the old saying goes... give a wizard a fish and feed her for a day; teach her how to fish, and you feed her for life; teaching someone how to be self-sufficient can go a lot further than you may realize (here's looking at you, storm wizards!). But I put in the time, and so should you.

-von
promethean bal/death/storm, legendary life, master myth/ice, magus pyro noob

Von- nicely expressed. My friend request is off & I don't have anybody on my list more than 25 levels below me. If somebody TRULY needs help, I am MORE than willing, no matter their level, having been there before myself. If a respectable friendship results, I will add no matter the level.

Autumn FairyDreamer

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
I want to be like Dr. Von when....errr, if.... I grow up. And I want to learn to fish. :D

Miranda Nightsinger, Transcendent Necromancer

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
In my experience, about 95%+ of those asking to be friends want nothing more than to mooch off of you in some way ..... whether it's gifting (crown items/treasure cards), wanting an easy time in Winterbane/Pagoda, power-leveling, or using you to port to higher worlds or pop into your battles, it's annoying and rude.

I keep my friend requests disabled most of the time. I open it for friends that have another character they want me to add, but sometimes I forget to disable it again (hence the spamming of low level friend requests until I can get into options and close it).

Back in the old days, many low-level wizards who needed help graciously asked for it and help was given. These days, many of the low-level wizards (and even higher level ones), are rude, annoying, nasty, inconsiderate, and have the attitude that because you have it (crowns, nice outfit, pet, etc), that you have to share with them, because they don't want to earn it, they want it given to them.

There are still very nice wizards out there, low and higher level ones. It's just harder to find them in a sea of moochers.

Brynn

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2012
I agree with Von. Some are annoying and just add you to use you. But some are adding you for friends. I have many low level friends, and they're great. Everyone is a low level at a point in the game.

Survivor
Dec 27, 2010
There's something in the settings to stop this from happening;
1) Click the book icon in the lower right.
2) Go to "Options."
3) Go to "Privacy Options."
4) Change "Allow Friend Requests" to "No."
5) Click Ok
This will make wizards not able to add you, but you can add them. (i think)

p.s- Remember, you were a low level too. You needed help when you were level 7 and wanted to friend higher level wizards. Please "rethink" what you said about other wizards. If they do that, report them and go to another realm. I'm my point of view, I have never encountered a rude kid, teen, or adult playing wizard101.

Survivor
Aug 06, 2013
Though I am a little annoyed to, I understand why they do it.

Think of it like this... your a 4 yr old kid. A 12 year old walks in, and to you, they are like high school students. You try to becdome friends because they are Cool, Older, and Expierenced.

Most "noobs" just need help. Its tough being a noob. All they need is help. Someone to call for if they need it.

Yet others are moochers. Those are the true pests. But not every noob is a moocher. Some just honestly need help.

So depending on the intention, it can be innocent or rude.

I often go to Unicorn way to help out the noobs (healing them)

So take it as a compliment that noobs are friending you! Most likely they think you are cool, older, and expierenced.

Cheyenne Caster, Level 36, Sorta Noob

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
SammyRedHeart on Mar 6, 2014 wrote:
There's something in the settings to stop this from happening;
1) Click the book icon in the lower right.
2) Go to "Options."
3) Go to "Privacy Options."
4) Change "Allow Friend Requests" to "No."
5) Click Ok
This will make wizards not able to add you, but you can add them. (i think)

p.s- Remember, you were a low level too. You needed help when you were level 7 and wanted to friend higher level wizards. Please "rethink" what you said about other wizards. If they do that, report them and go to another realm. I'm my point of view, I have never encountered a rude kid, teen, or adult playing wizard101.
Sorry Sammy, but you can't report people for being annoying, so this is wrong advice for anyone.

--------------------------------------------------------

Even when you have friend requests OFF, low-level wizards will frequently beg you to be their friend anyway. Unfortunately, our friend lists are only so big. With most of my wizards at high levels up to L95, I don't have room to add low-level wizards. Besides, if a low-level needs help, then they should look for other wizards the same or similar level to their own. It's kinda ridiculous for a level 5 asking a level 95 to help them in a dungeon in Wizard City, don't you think?

People should be able to quest or hang around and visit their friends in whatever realm they want to without having to worry about switching realms all the time because of other annoying wizards.

Please people, stop playing the "you were a low-level, too" card. Those of us who have been here a while know that things have changed over the years in terms of respect and courtesy to other players. Being a low-level then and being a low-level now is different ..... much much different.

It would be wonderful if we could all help each other, but unfortunately, because of the attitudes of many players, people are cautious about adding friends, no matter what level they are.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
BrynnerOfReign on Mar 7, 2014 wrote:
Sorry Sammy, but you can't report people for being annoying, so this is wrong advice for anyone.

--------------------------------------------------------

Even when you have friend requests OFF, low-level wizards will frequently beg you to be their friend anyway. Unfortunately, our friend lists are only so big. With most of my wizards at high levels up to L95, I don't have room to add low-level wizards. Besides, if a low-level needs help, then they should look for other wizards the same or similar level to their own. It's kinda ridiculous for a level 5 asking a level 95 to help them in a dungeon in Wizard City, don't you think?

People should be able to quest or hang around and visit their friends in whatever realm they want to without having to worry about switching realms all the time because of other annoying wizards.

Please people, stop playing the "you were a low-level, too" card. Those of us who have been here a while know that things have changed over the years in terms of respect and courtesy to other players. Being a low-level then and being a low-level now is different ..... much much different.

It would be wonderful if we could all help each other, but unfortunately, because of the attitudes of many players, people are cautious about adding friends, no matter what level they are.
this is spot-on. things are very different now than when we were noobs.

i agree that it's important to seek out level- appropriate help: if you are level 11 and doing sunken city, there's a huge difference between asking someone level 10-20 and asking someone level 30+. that's basically saying, i want you to do this for me.

the only low-levels i add belong to existing friends~ people that i know won't take advantage or use me as a teleport pad. i'd like to believe that every wizard has only the most honourable intentions, but to do so would be an assumption that would cost me a lot of time and/or resources.

as i mentioned, i was a low-level wizard, too. but i proactively looked for answers and did not expect to ride the coattails of a high-level friend on my way to the top.

(@Miranda~ Von will gladly teach you how to fish, but she still has no idea what she wants to be when she grows up!)

-v.

95 , , and
46 and

Explorer
Nov 30, 2012
I know. I am only lvl 35 and lvl 4-9 people keep sending friend requests

Survivor
Apr 07, 2010
There are wizards that wants to befriend you because they really want you as a friend.

There's an option in your "Privacy Settings" in your Spellbook that will make you not receive a single friend request.

"Magic is everywhere, all you have to do is believe."

Robert EmeraldPyre
Robert StormSword
Robert MythFinder

Mastermind
Apr 13, 2011
i already know there is an option in your spell book to block requests i just don't want to block friend requests from someone i actually want to be friends with. and another thing i know i was once a low level to but i never went spamming friend requests to level 70s (the max level cap by the time i joined the game). and to all of you who think they they're trying to friend me because i am "cool" well thats because they don't have as many stats as i do (20+ damage, 9+ accuracy, 0 resist, 55+ critical, 82+ critical block, 91+ power pip chance, 3+ pierce, 3+ out going healing, 3+ incoming healing, 3014 health, and 520 mana. tell me if i forgot one of the stats) chances are they are going to completely surpass me in a little while.

Kane Star () Level 24