Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Looking for some Ice Advice

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 14, 2011
Hello All~~

I am an up and coming ice wizard, and I'm not completely sure where i should be headed so far.

What I speak mainly of is Training Point allocation.

I haven't fully decided if i want to PVP at 60 or PVE... However, i can find nice, recent, up to date guides on PVP ice wizzies on wiz101 central, but the closest thing to a PVE ice guide is upwards of more than 3 years old =-/

So what I'm mainly looking for is advice on different options for PVE speccing (note: i said different options, not *the best* option, although if there is some "best cookie cutter" style, I'm also more than interested in that as well)

So far I've just been going life up to satyr because that seems to be a common thing between ice in either PVP or PVE...past that I've been stockpiling my points (I also plan on getting a Life mastery amulet in the future for an amazing survavibility boost)

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Since you already have the Tower Shield, you don't need it.

Here's one suggestion.

Elemental Blade from Niles = 1 point. This works well with multi-target spells, and it can fill in for your Ice Blade until level 38, albeit at the cost of a pip.

I don't recommend Ice getting the Elemental Trap, since it's a one-target spell which consumes a pip (often a power pip) and a turn for a 25% boost.

Reshuffle from Mildred Farseer = 1 point.

Feint from the Death School: 7 points (and you'll also get the Dream Shield to block Life and Myth spells)

Satyr from the Life School: 7 points (and you'll also get Sprite, Spirit Armour, and the Legend Shield to block Death and Myth spells).

With those, you'll have a 70% trap (Feint), a heal for 880 (Satyr) and a one pip 300 over-time heal (Sprite), a 35% blade, and 70%+ shields (including those Ice gets) against all schools.

If you go that route, you might consider buying either the Troll Ear Pendant (Marleybone Amulet shop or the Bazaar) which gives you two 40% heal-boost Guiding Light cards, or (if you have Crowns) the Life Mastery Amulet to use Power Pips for Satyr.

Defender
Mar 05, 2009
I wish I had taken Life up to Satyr, sadly I don't have the Crowns to retrain. Satyr with a Life amulet would drastically increase survivability for those long battles. Once you're into Celestia, grab the Treant polymorph as well for emergency healing of you and your team-mates. Speaking of Celestia I'd go as far up the +damage (Gargantuan) line of Sun spells as possible, to make up for our lower damage.

I took Death through Feint and Balance through Weakness, those two spells come in really handy. Feint's a damage booster and since Ice has the lowest overall damage, we need all the boosts we can get. You could get a necklace or pet with a Feint card, but the Life amulet would probably be more useful in the long run.

Weakness acts as a secondary shield. Weakness is better than shields against Fire and others with damage over time spells, as it reduces damage for the entire spell rather than just one hit of it. Definitely pick up Reshuffle and Elemental Blades, Elemental Traps too though I use those a lot less at higher levels than I used to.

The +Critical spell from Star school's also handy, and the +Damage one (I forget what they're called.) If you do any PvP, the Stun Block Star spell from Diego seems to be a must-have. I wouldn't bother with that last one for PvE though, Ice usually has enough health to just sit out an extra round for a stun to wear off. (You won't see many stuns until Celestia & Wintertusk.)

Anyway, that's what I've done so far, and what I wish I'd done differently. I hope it gives you some ideas. Best of luck in the Spiral!

- Sierra Starsong, Ice lvl 60

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Bloodytrails wrote:
Hello All~~

I am an up and coming ice wizard, and I'm not completely sure where i should be headed so far.

I haven't fully decided if i want to PVP at 60 or PVE... However, i can find nice, recent, up to date guides on PVP ice wizzies on wiz101 central, but the closest thing to a PVE ice guide is upwards of more than 3 years old =-/

So what I'm mainly looking for is advice on different options for PVE speccing (note: i said different options, not *the best* option, although if there is some "best cookie cutter" style, I'm also more than interested in that as well)

So far I've just been going life up to satyr because that seems to be a common thing between ice in either PVP or PVE...past that I've been stockpiling my points (I also plan on getting a Life mastery amulet in the future for an amazing survavibility boost)

The Best advice I can give you for Ice when it comes to training points...

Death to Feint
Life to Satyr
Fire to Fire Elf
Sun to Gargantuan
Star I think has Vengeance

Do Not waste training points on Polymorphs - The joke of the game!

This will pretty much cover you for both PvE and PvP!

Defender
Jun 21, 2009
Balance is good, if you want shields and Elemental attacks, and Death is good, if you want to attack and heal yourself, but the real reason I'd train Death is for Feint. But if you want serious healing, then I'd go with life.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Bloodytrails wrote:
Hello All~~

Training to Satyr is perfectly fine. Do you have a lot of experience with the game? Personally, when I play a new school, I spend training points only as necessary to help me solo the game and leave the rest for when I hit legendary. It forces me to embrace the school and really understand its strengths and weaknesses. It also helps to force me to embrace valid strategies that may be counter to my nature. With Ice, its very advantageous to invest in SUN school in celestia up to Gargantuan. Much of the rest of your investments are a matter of personal choice and playstyle.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Death to Feint
Life to Satyr
Fire to Fire Elf
Sun to Gargantuan

+ 1 Agree Mostly with you.

Death to Feint
Sun to Gargantuan
for Star I prefer Amplify
Balance Blade from Niles
Life to Satyr is useful
Stun Shield and Cloak are useful for PVP
Death Shield

30% Weakness you can get cheaply as treasure cards
For Amulet I prefer a useful attack spell, such as Feint or bblade\curse.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
I'll be honest. There is so much gear out there with nearly every spell in the game it makes training secondary spells nearly obsolete. Yes, training secondary spells will let you have the abilities and the greatest gear in the game, but by simply switching out gear to defeat certain boss strategies you can actually save training points for future use. My advice, don't use up all your training points. Only get the spells you will use the most often.

Survivor
May 14, 2011
I've got a couple months with the game now, nothing major

I have a metric ton of experience with MMO's in general though :P

So far the only things i got to my name in this game are a 31 necro and 20 ice wizzy.

I am a bit of a forum lurker though, so i've spent my time reading 101central to find out all sorts of things about the later aspects of the game i haven't personally experienced yet.

Seems like no matter what, life to satyr is a given choice (especially with my eventual plan to pick up a life mastery amulet)

I actually currently use a fierce hound with feint+spritely, Feint seems like a good PVE option, but the PVP guide i was looking at made no mention of using feint =/ although, at the exception of fient, is pretty similar to options people have mentioned.

Life > Satyr
Reshuffle
Elemental Blade
Sun > Gargantuan
Fire > Glacial Shield
--these are definate comminalities between PVE and PVP

After that the PVP one gets a bit more specific
-Critical block, Critical Booster, Infection,
-Balance to Weakness (Although this can be a more than viable PVE skill as well)

Just trying to figure out something that works for my interests hehe

Explorer
Jul 31, 2009
Life to Satyr- 7 points

Death to Feint- 7 points

Elemental Trap and Blade- 2 points (trap just for the occasional boss battle)

Fortify, Amplify and Vengeance- 3 points (Amplify for bosses that are practically impossible to critical without them blocking)

Moon to Cat Bandit- 3 points (Some may disagree, I find it much better then having to use prisms)

Cloak if you are going to pvp- 1 point

Infection if you are going to pvp, also useful against life bosses- 1 point

Conviction if you never plan on getting lifeforce blade- 1 point

I didnt get Sun to Garg because I find the treasures a lot easier to use.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Bloodytrails wrote:

Life > Satyr
Reshuffle
Elemental Blade
Sun > Gargantuan
Fire > Glacial Shield
--these are definate comminalities between PVE and PVP

After that the PVP one gets a bit more specific
-Critical block, Critical Booster, Infection,
-Balance to Weakness (Although this can be a more than viable PVE skill as well)

Just trying to figure out something that works for my interests hehe

I don't disagree with anything other than reshuffle and glacial shield. I personally think that's a waste except in certain circumstances. Unless you intend to wear the balance mastery amulet, I wouldn't train reshuffle. You can get an amulet or treasure cards and personally, I have never once used it in PvE. For PvP, I keep 2 to 3 treasure versions in my side deck (since those use less pips) just in case my deck isn't deep enough. As to the glacial shield, I wouldn't train it unless you plan to learn something else in fire school.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
hp1055cm wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Death to Feint
Life to Satyr
Fire to Fire Elf
Sun to Gargantuan

+ 1 Agree Mostly with you.

Death to Feint
Sun to Gargantuan
for Star I prefer Amplify
Balance Blade from Niles
Life to Satyr is useful
Stun Shield and Cloak are useful for PVP
Death Shield

30% Weakness you can get cheaply as treasure cards
For Amulet I prefer a useful attack spell, such as Feint or bblade\curse.

+1 Agree Mostly with you

Death to Feint, is perfect for ice, give you that extra power you need!
Sun To Gargantuan, saves you from spending a fortune in gold!
Star: Amplify or Vengeance is good... Fortify for ice is not bad!
(These are personal choice though)
Elemental Blades from Niles is like a must have...
(Elemental Trap is not worth it if you ask me)
Life to Satyr, especially if you get the life amulet... Oh what a healing!
Stun Shield is free, you are Ice!
Cloak: If they fix it, it would be worth it.... Anyone who has any experience with PvP can easily tell what you just cast...
Conviction is not a bad idea, can save you from stuns & criticals...

Now Balance to Weakness, you can get enough weakness at the Bazaar, not really worth the training points, but that is up to you...

Infection is pretty good, but with all the spritely pets out there, is it really worth the training point?

Death Shield? This I disagree on this one... If you have trained Life to Satyr, then you have a death shield...

Fire to Fire Elf, this I highly recommend, simply because if people do have ice shields, yes Ice has DoT attacks, but it is so easy to mutate a fire elf to an ice elf and quickly take out all the ice and tower shields...

Just some thoughts and reasons why...

Now, as far as polymorphs go... You lose all of your resistance, the spells are generally not worth it and you have everything you need if you have trained these spells... In my opinion, only amateurs use Polymorphs.. They are way too easily defeated...

Survivor
Mar 14, 2010
Ok. . . I've looked over the posts and noone has a list of spells for ice that are the best for quests and PVM (Player vs Monster).

I don't PVP or PVE, so what spells do you suggest for someone that not into that part of the game?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
ladyredbingo wrote:
Ok. . . I've looked over the posts and noone has a list of spells for ice that are the best for quests and PVM (Player vs Monster).

I don't PVP or PVE, so what spells do you suggest for someone that not into that part of the game?

If you don't PvP or PvE, then you are only raising pets or gardening. PvE (Player versus Environment) is the normal game mode, without dueling live/human wizards.

Also, if you have a good PvP deck, then you will have a pretty good solution to most of the regular game. (new spell additions require updating and certain bosses require certain strategies)

Armiger
May 10, 2010
ladyredbingo wrote:

PvE and PvM are the same exact thing...

Player vs Enemy or Enviorment is Questing...

Now, Death to feint is great for questing...
Life to Satyr is also great for questing...
Fire to FireElf is also good, unless you like all those fire that spam ice shields... Because you can buy mutate fire elf to ice elf at the bazaar!
Sun to Gargantuan is a required learn for all aspects of the game...
Elemental Blade from niles is a required spell...

Most spells are perfect for both aspects of the game.
Now, infection, cloak, any balance spells, these are mainly PvP spells that you dont have to learn....