Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Legendary Storm, What next?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 24, 2011
I recently just got to level 60 on my Storm wizard. I think it's the best school out there. Even know we have lower health than everyone else. Anyway I was looking on making a new wizard. Although I don't know what school to pick as my primary. I was thinking Fire or Balance. Any recomondations It would really help if you put some of yours!

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
Well, you've already tried the quick strike school, now challenge yourself to try a different playing style. Give Life wizardry a chance. Here's the breakdown of my suggestion.

Primary school: Life
Secondary school 1: Ice - only train in ice up to the point that you get tower shield. That gives you 70% shields against fire and storm, and tower shield which is 50% against anything. It prepares you to protect yourself for more involved fights. It also adds to your usefulness to other wizards, further increasing their interest in teaming up with you.
Secondary school 2: Death - train up to the point that you get Feint, after that (and a couple other spells I'll recommend, feel free to use your points how you want). This one is self-obvious. Life attacks aren't the strongest base attacks in the game, so boosting them with a 70% Feint is quite nice. I recommend getting the tower shield from ice first since you can get it a lot quicker. That means you'll be getting Feint a little later in the game, but if you do the Zeke quests for training points, you'll have it by the time the enemies get really strong (like in DS).
Miscellaneous Cards: Spirit Blades and Ice Shield. Worry about the Spirit blades first. You'll be able to get these at level 25 i believe from Niles the balance tree. You can get the spirit traps if you want, but I pass on these. They cost you a pip to cast which means an extra turn, and they only boost 25%. Getting them will also set you back a training point on getting Feint. I'd rather do without the spirit traps and get Feint sooner, especially since I never used the spirit traps once my deck got bigger and more involved. My way, you end up with Life Blade (40% boost), Spirit Blade (35%), Life trap (25%) and Feint (70%). Don't get me wrong, spirit traps can come in handy earlier in the game, but they end up being a waste later in the game. So, if you can tough it out until you get life blade, it's better to skip spirit traps.
One Final suggestion: Enchant some attack cards. If you can spare the gold, then treasure cards like strong, giant, and monstrous are very valuable. Strong boosts your base attack damage by 100, Giant by 125, and Monstrous by 175. We all know that life's attack spells aren't as strong as some of the other schools, life fire or storm. Adding one of these cards to your attack cards, however, gives your attacks a rather nice boost. Remember, these cards boost base attack damage, so this additional damage will also be boosted by all of your blades and traps. For the earlier area, Strong is more than enough. In the later areas where the enemies are much tougher, then start using Monstrous as well. I'd actually recommend adding both the cards used to enchant attack cards and some enchanted attack cards to you sideboard (if you enchant an attack card but don't use it during the battle you keep it as an enchanted treasure card). Having Strong cards in your sideboard gives you the flexibility to match it with any of your attack cards depending on what you need at the moment, and adding enchanted treasure cards to your sideboard gives you easy to find attack cards when your deck isn't cooperating with you.

Ok, I know this response has been long and involved, but I'm trying to be as specific as possible in helping you plan out a wizard from beginning to high level. I've created a wizard just like this, and using these exact tactics, and it has turned out great. The result is a life wizard that can solo almost anything (even soloed the Great Spyre after they changed it) since it can protect itself with an array of shields, heal any damage with minimal pip usage, and strike hard when necessary. These factors also make you a vital teammate for almost any other kind of wizard. Life wizards are good to team with in general for their healing abilities, but a life wizard that can help the team fight its way out of trouble as well simply makes you even more valuable. In other words, if you're open to it, you should be able to build up quite a friends list to help you in your quests, and be able to solo any time you want. Whether you or anyone else who reads this decides to give my version of a life wizard a try or not, good luck with your wizard and have fun. I'll see you around the Spiral.

Steven SpiritBlade, legendary Theurgist
Steven DeathBringer, legendary Necromancer
Steven FireBrand, legendary Pyromancer
Steven StormRider, legendary Diviner
Steven SpellWeaver, legendary Sorcerer

Delver
Feb 01, 2010
well i have been experimenting with all my character's first i made a storm wizard he is also legendary then i made a fire then a myth then a death etc you see my patern right if you don't i'm starting out with wizards with the lowest health and am working up to the wizards with higher health to see how easier i gets and with storm it was pretty hard fire has been easier so i reccomend [ sorry i know i mispelled ] fire or myth if you want to try some with lower attack but higher health

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Do Life. It's completely different than Storm is. It will give you a new perspective on strategy.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2010
go for fire. they have more health than any school (no ofence). :D

plus they have awsome spells like fire dragon, meteor strike, and fire elf

so i would choose fire

Defender
May 17, 2009
powercar123 wrote:

so i would choose fire

I think you have fire confused with ice.

Defender
Aug 08, 2010
powercar123 wrote:

so i would choose fire

Fire has the second lowest health of any school (Storm being the lowest), so I'm not sure where you got that. Of course, you can have higher health if you get wears that only give you health, but then you lose out on a lot of important boosts like power pips, shields, increased accuracy, and increased damage.

Fire is also the most similar school to storm.

If you want a completely different experience from storm, I would suggest one of the spirit schools or balance. All of which are very easy to solo on (except maybe Myth, I've never played that school so not sure how well it plays solo).

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I like the suggestion of life/death/ice...very good combo. Though, if you like living on the edge style of play that is storm you might find it a little too different.

I would suggest death. It can't defeat foes as fast as storm, but with the early trap/blades you get, then feint at level 26, it does make for 'semi-fast' defeats, as well as a health refill, all in a single casting.

As for secondary, it's death, you really don't need one. I have a death in CL who has only spent one traing point (spirit blade) before starting on the astral spells.

Each of the schools have a special style, try out as many as you can to find suitable ones.

Survivor
Oct 23, 2010
maxitola2009 wrote:
powercar123 wrote:

so i would choose fire

Every school has it's ups and down.

Storm= high attack but bad accuracy
Life= Bad attack power but good accuracy. Can heal
Myth= Able to summon lots of minions. Bad attack compared to accuracy.
Death= Low attack power. Can STEAL health.
Fire= Mainly focused on damage over time and health.
Ice= Focused on stuns and blocks.
Balance= Has lots of boosts and shields and okay power and accuracy.

I hoped this helped, also sorry about the info on ice, i'm not a fan of ice so i don't know a lot about it.

Explorer
Dec 08, 2009
To comment on the second post without having to quote that WHOLE thing. I made a life wizard a while back, it is still sitting at magus, just near master and it's funny because I used EXACTLY your guide with every single precision lol. I have almost my second legendary and I can say that that IS the best way to play a life character. However get used to longer battles. They were taking long in mooshu so I gave that character a break and worked on my storm from marleybone to celestia. I will probably finish up that char and then work on my life again :D. But to all begining life wizards who check these forums, read that guide carefully!! Follow those exact steps to the letter for an easier and a less regretful overall game :)

If you are not willing to try life, I would recommend balance. The battle style you will use with balance is applicable to any school. My first char was balance and he is now legendary. It was great because now I have no trouble in any battles with wizards from storm to life and ice :) With balance I find that you also learn how to battle better with others and to sometimes accept that it can be better to blade up someone else or use your feint for someone else's attack than saving it for your own. I usually now find myself suggesting strategies to my fellow wizards in a battle depending on their schools. I really found my experience as a balance wizard insightful on all other schools :)

Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
Just thought I would post a quick reply to this, and say a big "Thank you!" for that guide on Life. I've just been getting back into the game after being gone for quite a while, and have been toying around with new characters, wanting something a bit different than my old grandmaster balance wizard. I've been working on my little life wizard for a couple of days now following this guide, and I must say, it's quite fun!

Thanks again!

Jonathan Ashstaff
Jonathan Greenleaf

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
I'd just like to thank everyone for the positive feedback on my advice. It's always nice to be able to help other wizards. It's even better to know that they appreciate your assistance. So, thanks for the kind responses.

Explorer
Feb 13, 2011
rouhselang101 wrote:
I recently just got to level 60 on my Storm wizard. I think it's the best school out there. Even know we have lower health than everyone else. Anyway I was looking on making a new wizard. Although I don't know what school to pick as my primary. I was thinking Fire or Balance. Any recomondations It would really help if you put some of yours!

balence

Aaron ravenpants

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
Go for ice, because ice is the exact oppisite of storm. Ice has strong health, storm has weak health. Storm has strong attack, ice has weak attack!

Mason S. level 33 Sorcerer in the Kishibe Village

Defender
Sep 28, 2010
wms10 wrote:
Go for ice, because ice is the exact oppisite of storm. Ice has strong health, storm has weak health. Storm has strong attack, ice has weak attack!

Mason S. level 33 Sorcerer in the Kishibe Village
Um ice you mean myth you should.But there is no best school every school is balanced in some way.

Explorer
Mar 28, 2010
powercar123 wrote:

so i would choose fire

Fire has the second lowest health. Ice has the highest.

~Allison Dawnblood, Level 60 Diviner

Explorer
Oct 01, 2010
If you still want to have power then chooose fire.

If you want to have some more health, higher accuracy, and a little bit of fire and storm magic then choose balance.

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
Survivor
Mar 01, 2010
rouhselang101 wrote:

get a myth wizard it will be a WAY different playing style

P.S. how do you level up storm wizards?

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
I like both fire and balance, my main being a life wizard. Why not make a wizard of both and see which one you like the best?

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
griffin104 wrote:
maxitola2009 wrote:
powercar123 wrote:

so i would choose fire

Every school has it's ups and down.

Storm= high attack but bad accuracy
Life= Bad attack power but good accuracy. Can heal
Myth= Able to summon lots of minions. Bad attack compared to accuracy.
Death= Low attack power. Can STEAL health.
Fire= Mainly focused on damage over time and health.
Ice= Focused on stuns and blocks.
Balance= Has lots of boosts and shields and okay power and accuracy.

I hoped this helped, also sorry about the info on ice, i'm not a fan of ice so i don't know a lot about it.
Fire does not focus on health. My first wizard is fire and he has just enough health to survive.

"you got a spell i can shield against it"
The spellshield gang.

Delver
Sep 18, 2009
My advice, take the test. If you get storm you can always take it again. If theirs one school you really dislike you can retake it. This is how i got all of my wizards.

"You got a spell i can shield against it."
The Robert SpellShield gang.

Champion
Jun 30, 2009
stanklepoot wrote:
Well, you've already tried the quick strike school, now challenge yourself to try a different playing style. Give Life wizardry a chance. Here's the breakdown of my suggestion.

Primary school: Life
Secondary school 1: Ice - only train in ice up to the point that you get tower shield. That gives you 70% shields against fire and storm, and tower shield which is 50% against anything. It prepares you to protect yourself for more involved fights. It also adds to your usefulness to other wizards, further increasing their interest in teaming up with you.
Secondary school 2: Death - train up to the point that you get Feint, after that (and a couple other spells I'll recommend, feel free to use your points how you want). This one is self-obvious. Life attacks aren't the strongest base attacks in the game, so boosting them with a 70% Feint is quite nice. I recommend getting the tower shield from ice first since you can get it a lot quicker. That means you'll be getting Feint a little later in the game, but if you do the Zeke quests for training points, you'll have it by the time the enemies get really strong (like in DS).
Miscellaneous Cards: Spirit Blades and Ice Shield. Worry about the Spirit blades first. You'll be able to get these at level 25 i believe from Niles the balance tree. You can get the spirit traps if you want, but I pass on these. They cost you a pip to cast which means an extra turn, and they only boost 25%. Getting them will also set you back a training point on getting Feint. I'd rather do without the spirit traps and get Feint sooner, especially since I never used the spirit traps once my deck got bigger and more involved. My way, you end up with Life Blade (40% boost), Spirit Blade (35%), Life trap (25%) and Feint (70%). Don't get me wrong, spirit traps can come in handy earlier in the game, but they end up being a waste later in the game. So, if you can tough it out until you get life blade, it's better to skip spirit traps.
One Final suggestion: Enchant some attack cards. If you can spare the gold, then treasure cards like strong, giant, and monstrous are very valuable. Strong boosts your base attack damage by 100, Giant by 125, and Monstrous by 175. We all know that life's attack spells aren't as strong as some of the other schools, life fire or storm. Adding one of these cards to your attack cards, however, gives your attacks a rather nice boost. Remember, these cards boost base attack damage, so this additional damage will also be boosted by all of your blades and traps. For the earlier area, Strong is more than enough. In the later areas where the enemies are much tougher, then start using Monstrous as well. I'd actually recommend adding both the cards used to enchant attack cards and some enchanted attack cards to you sideboard (if you enchant an attack card but don't use it during the battle you keep it as an enchanted treasure card). Having Strong cards in your sideboard gives you the flexibility to match it with any of your attack cards depending on what you need at the moment, and adding enchanted treasure cards to your sideboard gives you easy to find attack cards when your deck isn't cooperating with you.

Ok, I know this response has been long and involved, but I'm trying to be as specific as possible in helping you plan out a wizard from beginning to high level. I've created a wizard just like this, and using these exact tactics, and it has turned out great. The result is a life wizard that can solo almost anything (even soloed the Great Spyre after they changed it) since it can protect itself with an array of shields, heal any damage with minimal pip usage, and strike hard when necessary. These factors also make you a vital teammate for almost any other kind of wizard. Life wizards are good to team with in general for their healing abilities, but a life wizard that can help the team fight its way out of trouble as well simply makes you even more valuable. In other words, if you're open to it, you should be able to build up quite a friends list to help you in your quests, and be able to solo any time you want. Whether you or anyone else who reads this decides to give my version of a life wizard a try or not, good luck with your wizard and have fun. I'll see you around the Spiral.

Steven SpiritBlade, legendary Theurgist
Steven DeathBringer, legendary Necromancer
Steven FireBrand, legendary Pyromancer
Steven StormRider, legendary Diviner
Steven SpellWeaver, legendary Sorcerer

Stanklepoot,

Do you know if wizards that buy back their points can do as you suggested? Because I like your ideas and am about to try it.

Timothy Pearlflower Legendary Ice

Champion
Jun 30, 2009
rouhselang101 wrote:

My first time I played, I chose Ice. I also liked it because I leveled up quickly, and when I got stuck in some places, I took a reprieve to earn badges. Troubling part is that I have the spirit spells of Niles, and about four from death and life, with maybe seven astral spells; having no idea how to go about which combo to go with.

If all else fails, you can erase the character and try again.

Lately I have been thinking about buying back my points but am unsure about what will happen to my wizard, since I am waiting for homework to be given with Wintertusk.

Timothy Pearlflower, Legendary Ice