Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

KingsIsle Slowly Phasing Out Criticals?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 27, 2014
NOTE: This is not a thread that is me complaining or attacking KingsIsle in any way. I am just sharing my thoughts on this topic and wanted to hear the feedback from others.

With the new release of Mirage and pip conversion, something was brought up to my attention, and I am sure many other people noticed it to. It seems as if KingsIsle is trying to push players away from critical, of course, it will never be gone for good, but close to it.

I don't think this only because of the release of Pip Conversion, its also because of a noticeable increase in monster's critical and block stats. I haven't made it too far through Mirage yet, but I can already notice, bosses, even street monsters are critical blocking and landing criticals A LOT more. I don't know if it's just me being unlucky, but this is really clear to me so far in Mirage. The monsters are giving criticals way more often, making critical block more of a necessity and they critical block way more often, rendering criticals useless. More than once so far have I did a glowbug or a tempest for example on a group of 4 street monsters and all 4 critical blocked it. To me this seems like KingsIsle saying you should probably get some more critical block and ditch the critical. It's not too much to handle yet though, but I can only help but think, in future worlds this is going to become even greater, to the point where every monster always critical blocks and almost always lands criticals. Within the next few world releases, probably by the world after Empyrea (can't remember if Cob listed this one), everything is going to be landing criticals and blocking player criticals all the time.

Then there is pip conversion. Anything that has pip conversion stat on it seems to replace the critical stat. The increase in monster criticals and blocks plus this pip conversion seems like KingsIsle is making its first step in ridding of criticals. I can only imagine, as new updates get released, there will be a wave of new stats that will replace criticals, and monsters will continue to get increasingly better at criticals and blocks.

In conclusion, yes, I think KingsIsle has made its first step at lowering the popularity of criticals and I think they will continue on this path until it is irrelevant in the higher levels. I would estimate that in maybe 2 or 3 new world releases, criticals will be fairly unpopular and useless among the high levels and much more useful stats will replace it. These are just my thoughts on something I noticed, I would love the community's feedback on all this and if you think that KingsIsle is trying to rid of criticals. Thanks for reading and make sure to share your thoughts!

Survivor
May 27, 2014
I would like to note another thing, one I forgot to mention above. Regarding stuns. There is absolutely no way I am the only one experiencing this. Most monsters in mirage are frequently stunning. I've seen it multiple times in a single battle quite a few times now. This could be mean we'll be seeing sizeable amounts of stun resist on future gear, a stat usually overlooked might become a bit more popular if KingIsle proceeds with the decline of critical usefulness.

Delver
Jun 14, 2016
Critical rating was already useless outside healing.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
sKochiya on Jan 2, 2017 wrote:
Critical rating was already useless outside healing.
I agree. I've never focused on building up my critical attack because it's never been a sure thing, neither getting one nor landing one.

I wasn't affected by the big change in mechanics because it was never a part of my strategy. To be honest, I actually saw a big increase in the amount of criticals I landed and blocked after the change. But I still didn't change my strategy to the point that I relied on them in order to win duels.

Defender
Dec 05, 2013
I agree, yet the funny thing is storm (the 'best' hitters in the game) have been getting less damage on gear than fire because storm should rely on crit while fire depends on damage.

Defender
Dec 25, 2012
As a life wizard the new critical being kicked to the curb puts a huge downsize on healing

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
Tyguy2464 on Jan 1, 2017 wrote:
NOTE: This is not a thread that is me complaining or attacking KingsIsle in any way. I am just sharing my thoughts on this topic and wanted to hear the feedback from others.

With the new release of Mirage and pip conversion, something was brought up to my attention, and I am sure many other people noticed it to. It seems as if KingsIsle is trying to push players away from critical, of course, it will never be gone for good, but close to it.

I don't think this only because of the release of Pip Conversion, its also because of a noticeable increase in monster's critical and block stats. I haven't made it too far through Mirage yet, but I can already notice, bosses, even street monsters are critical blocking and landing criticals A LOT more. I don't know if it's just me being unlucky, but this is really clear to me so far in Mirage. The monsters are giving criticals way more often, making critical block more of a necessity and they critical block way more often, rendering criticals useless. More than once so far have I did a glowbug or a tempest for example on a group of 4 street monsters and all 4 critical blocked it. To me this seems like KingsIsle saying you should probably get some more critical block and ditch the critical. It's not too much to handle yet though, but I can only help but think, in future worlds this is going to become even greater, to the point where every monster always critical blocks and almost always lands criticals. Within the next few world releases, probably by the world after Empyrea (can't remember if Cob listed this one), everything is going to be landing criticals and blocking player criticals all the time.

Then there is pip conversion. Anything that has pip conversion stat on it seems to replace the critical stat. The increase in monster criticals and blocks plus this pip conversion seems like KingsIsle is making its first step in ridding of criticals. I can only imagine, as new updates get released, there will be a wave of new stats that will replace criticals, and monsters will continue to get increasingly better at criticals and blocks.

In conclusion, yes, I think KingsIsle has made its first step at lowering the popularity of criticals and I think they will continue on this path until it is irrelevant in the higher levels. I would estimate that in maybe 2 or 3 new world releases, criticals will be fairly unpopular and useless among the high levels and much more useful stats will replace it. These are just my thoughts on something I noticed, I would love the community's feedback on all this and if you think that KingsIsle is trying to rid of criticals. Thanks for reading and make sure to share your thoughts!
Critical decay and the replacement of critical rating on gear with conversion leaves me with the same impression. Power pip generation seems to be dropping off as well.

What's more, Critical, Block, and Conversion use a mechanism where the value shown is not a straight percentage. Shadow Pip chance shows the percentage, but not the entire innate chance of getting a new shadow pip. I don't like how these newer mechanisms are being hidden from players. The player community will figure these things out, but even once this is done, making good gear choices is increasingly difficult.

Jewels are, in some cases, getting a boost that will help. Critical bonus jewels for 115+ wizards are granting 16 critical; the next lower tier was 13.

Survivor
Dec 17, 2010
Yes there is no doubt KI is trying to move players away from " The Critical. " The Mirage gear, wands etc, all proves it. Removing Critical from the game all began, when Ice Wizards complained they were being defeated by Critical. With their high resist, and insanely high health points, Critical was the only thing that gave a Storm Wiz and chance to beat them. The first move was to cut PVP Critical is half to help these complaining Ice Wizards. I would imagine they still were not happy, so they came out with the idea to cut one's Critical way down by implementing " Pip Conversion Stats. " When i saw this in Mirage, i knew i was done. I got my 3 Wizards finished with Mirage. Since then i log on, and do " Daily Assignments, " and log right off. I'm pretty much done. The game is so different now, i have lost interest in it. I have it figured that KI wants PVP to be " Pip " battle between Ice, and Balance Wizards. Go watch 1 vs 1 pvp, and you will see so many ice and balance wizards. I will not make a ice or balance. The reason is these schools are way over powered for pvp. What i like is there was a time when Ice, and Balance were sooooo weak. I used to pound them in pvp all the time. Yes that was a great time in W101. Let them strut all around, but a lot of us long time players know Ice and Balance are handed easy wins in pvp now. I like the money i save buy not buying Crowns anymore. I have spent a lot on the game in the 6 years i have played. My reward is watching PVP turn into a pip battle. Ha ha. Thank you.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Critical was a fantastic addition to the game when it first came out for those who appreciated it. Damage increased, and battles ended quicker. Players able to raise their critical attacks to one hundred percent enjoyed the ride as long as it lasted, but then, critical attacks diminished to capacity and return; forcing some players to rethink their wizard set ups.

While Wizard 101 is a fantastic game, with a great appeal to many individuals of all ages; the game will continue to change and evolve over time. Not everyone will agree or support this, but for folks who love and appreciate the direction the game heads; will continue to find ways to adapt, survive and thrive.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I love when my wizard gets a critical hit. That is because it often needs it!
I'm still finishing up B.O.X.E.S. and in Mooshu some of the bosses are high health. It gets tedious doing the same dungeon on all wizards, so anything that speeds up the battle is good by me.

But I don't understand how or why critical works. It seems random. Is it random and can any spell have a critical hit?

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
As a strictly PvE player, I hope they Do phase it out completely. Too many times I've been hit with multiple critical in a row that dont get blocked, even now after the fix. Resist is MUCH more important than critical block is, since unless you load up and sacrifice many other stats, you'll never block a critical hit. If it DOES get removed from the game, I hope they go back and change critical block and critical hit into damage and resist (and absolutely NOT a 1:1 exchange either)

Survivor
Aug 09, 2009
imo what they need to do is add pve stats, and pvp stats to gear and that would rule out all unfair pvp battles and all unfair pve battles. I don't get why they add useless features like pip conversion. People also might claim that when critical came out that it wasn't very good, but it was more useful at the time than pip conversion is now.

There isn't a astral spell yet boosting pip conversion, there is absolutely nothing but a useless feature regarding most people have 100% power pip chance.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I noticed the critical hit/blocks rating changed too and I hate it. I thinks it's unfair how I try to get the rating as high as I can yet still I rarely make critical attacks and blocks while enemies are making theirs more often causing me to get defeated without me having a change to enjoy the battle by casting high pip spells. Don't get me wrong, I craft my gear which is one of the best gear out there bring my hits to almost 500 and almost 400 for blocks. Malistaire's full gear and his staff gives me about the same rating. Before the change, I used to critically hit and block just as often as the enemies do now with those numbers I mentioned. It seem like KI left or upped the creatures hit/ block rating and decayed ours. KI, I feel it's very unfair for you doing that. Please fix the critical rating back to where it was or decay the enemies.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
If the Crit/block had been set up with a Base amount similar to how our Power Pips were, it would have remained a viable system. KI could still change that even though many would be upset for a while, but at least it would give our wizards more room to grow. Try reading this thread on Central.

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?478142-New-mechanic-for-Critical-Block

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
dayerider on Jan 19, 2017 wrote:
As a strictly PvE player, I hope they Do phase it out completely. Too many times I've been hit with multiple critical in a row that dont get blocked, even now after the fix. Resist is MUCH more important than critical block is, since unless you load up and sacrifice many other stats, you'll never block a critical hit. If it DOES get removed from the game, I hope they go back and change critical block and critical hit into damage and resist (and absolutely NOT a 1:1 exchange either)
I know, right? The Deep Spawn on the Starfall Sea were brutal! They get a critical almost every time, they start out with 13 or 14 pips and often throw a Tempest in the first round.

I found after the "fix" I blocked even less than I did before, though in all honesty I was actually landing more of my own too. Before the "fix", almost every critical I actually got was blocked. That's why I always build up my attacks to be a finishing blow without critical. Because of that, landing a critical is moot.

I understand why they can't eliminate these stats, and I understand why others don't want them eliminated neither, but I am counted among those who would be just fine if they they were gone.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
dayerider on Jan 19, 2017 wrote:
PvE is awesome! The best advice about PvE: Always remember to put your big wizard pants; and do anything and everything required to win! And you're spot on about resistance. I love watching players set up with one hundred percent resistance go up against that school. The look on the poor wizard's face as they realize all of their school spells are ineffective is priceless! The cool thing about PvE is it's something for everyone. Some folks love certain elements and features about it; while other folks love being able to complain about said elements and features instead of figure out better and best ways to adjust up their wizard's setup, approach to PvE, and gameplay.