Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Jealousy

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Sometimes I feel like players lash out at other players because they covet what that player has.

Please just know that no one else knows what that person is going through in real life that they might need to be cheered up about. Please know that no one else knows what that person might give up in order to have 'nice things' in a virtual world or computer game.

Someone was just lashing out at me yesterday and I felt like the root cause of it was that I was wearing the new unicorn stuff. Still it really stung and left me feeling icky and weird for a long time after.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Sorry you've had that happen. I doesn't just apply in-game, it happens in real life too. There seem to be 2 types of 'jealousy' - one where it's about thinking how nice it would be to also have what that person has; the other where they don't want that person to have it because they don't.

I don't think I've ever felt the second way and I don't really understand it. I think people who feel that way must be unhappy and perhaps don't recognise what they DO have. I feel sorry for anyone who feels that way and even though I would try to make them feel better by helping them see what they do have and sharing what I have, there is a part of me that would be preparing to let them go if they didn't turn around that negative attitude.

Our time on this Earth is finite and with 7 billion people in it we can choose to spend our time with people who are cheerful without risk of 'running out of people' lol. It's nice to reach out to those who are hurting and try to help them see things in a healthier and happier way, but if they can't/won't be open to things not being as gloomy and unfair as they perceive then our healthiest option is to let them go.

Just as they don't know what we're going through, we don't know what they're going through.

If we're unkind back to someone who has been unkind it confirms their negative view that the world is full of nasty people and the world is harsh. Greeting unkindness with a few kind words can sometimes shake that belief and help someone who was feeling alone and unhappy to realise the world isn't so bad. I've seen quite angry, bitter people become cheerful and positive just for taking the time to show them I care and they matter. I've also met some people who have grown too comfortable in their negativity and I have to move on from them because my happiness matters too.

Big hug! Don't take their unkind words to heart!

PS. Congrats on getting the unicorn gear!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Thanks Victoria.
Well it was someone I met by random chance, it was all during a team up. They just started tearing into me and wouldn't stop.

There was no chance to try to rehabilitate their attitude and any effort on my part was met with more cruelty and/or sarcasm.

Sometimes people feel bad and want others to feel just as bad or worse. I should've muted them immediately.

I got the feeling from what they said and their irrational attitude that it was because I had the complete set of gear on day one. (Which I hadn't said one word about or anything so...again...irrational.)

They had very nice gear. It seemed very silly to me and sad.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
SparkleTude on Apr 16, 2018 wrote:
Thanks Victoria.
Well it was someone I met by random chance, it was all during a team up. They just started tearing into me and wouldn't stop.

There was no chance to try to rehabilitate their attitude and any effort on my part was met with more cruelty and/or sarcasm.

Sometimes people feel bad and want others to feel just as bad or worse. I should've muted them immediately.

I got the feeling from what they said and their irrational attitude that it was because I had the complete set of gear on day one. (Which I hadn't said one word about or anything so...again...irrational.)

They had very nice gear. It seemed very silly to me and sad.
Envy ( the negative part of jealousy ) hurts the one feeling it more than their target ( as bad as it was for you ). I'm truly sorry you had to experience such a negative attack; unfortunately "Ignore" can't erase the words from your mind. Just know that your friends and the posters here are in support of you!
I'm pleased to hear that you got a complete set of Unicorn gear!
Don't let the trolls wear you down!

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
SparkleTude on Apr 13, 2018 wrote:
Sometimes I feel like players lash out at other players because they covet what that player has.

Please just know that no one else knows what that person is going through in real life that they might need to be cheered up about. Please know that no one else knows what that person might give up in order to have 'nice things' in a virtual world or computer game.

Someone was just lashing out at me yesterday and I felt like the root cause of it was that I was wearing the new unicorn stuff. Still it really stung and left me feeling icky and weird for a long time after.
Sorry to hear your bad experience. I'll never understand lashing out in negative Jealousy. To me it's unacceptable behavior and no reason for it. I was brought up to accept what I have and expect no more. If I want something I'll make the point the get it myself. Showing jealousy will solve nothing but fueling your heart with uncontrolled fire making you a bad person towards others.

P.S. I hope you like your unicorn pack

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
anecorbie on Apr 16, 2018 wrote:
Envy ( the negative part of jealousy ) hurts the one feeling it more than their target ( as bad as it was for you ). I'm truly sorry you had to experience such a negative attack; unfortunately "Ignore" can't erase the words from your mind. Just know that your friends and the posters here are in support of you!
I'm pleased to hear that you got a complete set of Unicorn gear!
Don't let the trolls wear you down!
Thank you!