Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Issues I have as a life wizard (a rant post lol)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 04, 2011
I’ve been playing this game for a long time, yet I’m not consistent in leveling up my wizards. Despite playing this game for a very long time, my highest leveled character, my life wizard, is only 112. I admit I hate questing, and I especially hate fighting bosses. I’ve soloed most of this game, but sometimes I get so annoyed fighting bosses, so my resolve is to team up. And it’s been a good resolve too lol. My problem with teaming up with other people is how I’m constantly asked to heal them. Whether the wizard(s) I’m partnered with are skilled at this game or not, they constantly ask me, which gets annoying. I know what I’m doing at this game, and I can back up my words. The people I play with keeps insulting me by calling me a “Life noob” because I don’t heal them when they’re dying, when in most cases, it’s their fault for coming into the battle unprepared. When I’m fighting a boss, I go in there, blade, trap, kill, and leave. Sometimes I go as far as to research the boss to switch up my simple, yet quick and effective strategy. I’m not going to waste my pips, mana, and time on someone who can’t take care of his or herself, it’s so absurd on how many excuses I get on why I should heal them, “Life wizards shouldn’t hit, they’re only supposed to heal.” Yea, so? Ice and balance wizards are meant to be support classes and never hit, but they dominate in pvp, your response to that?
Here’s a short story. I was teaming in Khrysalis one time, I was paired with a fire wizard. I was doing my own thing with blading and trapping. The fire wizard was doing the same, but he was shield spamming as well. I’m not gonna lie, the boss was beating the both of us up pretty bad, the fire wizard still proceeds to shield spam himself, rather than giving me a few shields. When I seen my health was getting really low, I used a satyr. He asked me “Why didn’t you heal me?” I replied, “Clearly you don’t have a problem shielding only yourself, so I’m sure you wouldn’t care if I healed only myself.” He didn’t say anything else after I said that, and when he died, he fled and never came back. I still defeated the boss, but after the battle, I was thinking to myself if I was wrong, and I shouldn’t be. If he was being selfish, I have every right to do the same and see if he likes the treatment. Looking back now, I think what I did was a little extreme, but just imagine playing this game for as long as I have and have most of the questions being asked were “Can you heal me?” or “Why didn’t you heal me?” or the infamous menu chat phrase, demanding “I need healing.”

Well that was my rant, and I’m glad I finally got this off my chest. I would love to see what people have to say about this lol.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
why are you playing if you "don't like questing or battling bosses"?

if you are playing solo, just go Aggro. If you need others to help you out, then be a Team Player.

Survivor
Oct 14, 2012
Ok what i will say to this is that, yes, you should be able to hit and do damage and all of that but if your team needs healing you need to heal them, thats what a life is for. Life wizards are based on team play, if you see a wizard on your team low on health a life wizards instinct should be to heal them. I have a lvl 100 ice wizard. When I am soloing I tend to pack less shields because I know I can tank. But when I am going in with a group I instinctively switch my deck up to take more damage, I pack taunts so that mobs and bosses will focus me and I pack loads of shields. Not because I have a problem tanking damage but because I know my team needs to have less damage focused on them so that they can blade and hit. As an ice that's your job in a team fight, to keep the enemies focused on yourself and make sure your allies are shielded up. And as a life your sole job when in a team fight should be to heal up team mates if they need it. But thats all I have to say. Just because they dont heal you or they ask for heals doesnt mean you should be annoyed. You chose to be a life wizard so you signed up for the healing factor of it. Life is a support class. Be prepared to support.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I know what you are going through. I play 4 life wizards and 3 of them are at level 110 and the same thing happens to me . Even though life wizards are healers but they can only heal so much for the pips they have at the same time they need keep themselves alive. Many people expects too much out of life wizards as if they can heal every time when needed. Yea sure, sorry but it doesn't always work that way in a team of players who needs healing at the same time. Playing in a team is also protecting the life wizard in battle so he/she can keep healing who needs it. It's rude of them to call you names just because players didn't get their way.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
ah, the school stereotype. If these were actually true, only storm, fire (when there are no storm wizards), and myth (when no storm or fire) wizards can hit, balance and death need to give blades and traps to everyone, life can only heal, and ice has to give out shields. This would be an EXTREMELY boring game if that was the case. I say, let those who insist on continuing the stereotypes die (in the game of course) in the hopes that their continual death streak will hope to further their education that this game can be played a ton of different ways. My life is a healing behemoth, and can kick some butt as well. It just depends on the task at hand, and what my teammates and I plan out ahead of time. I LOVE being the healer, but love being the monster killer too, and I have separate gear sets for just those occasions

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
theprivateers on May 6, 2017 wrote:
I’ve been playing this game for a long time, yet I’m not consistent in leveling up my wizards. Despite playing this game for a very long time, my highest leveled character, my life wizard, is only 112. I admit I hate questing, and I especially hate fighting bosses. I’ve soloed most of this game, but sometimes I get so annoyed fighting bosses, so my resolve is to team up. And it’s been a good resolve too lol. My problem with teaming up with other people is how I’m constantly asked to heal them. Whether the wizard(s) I’m partnered with are skilled at this game or not, they constantly ask me, which gets annoying. I know what I’m doing at this game, and I can back up my words. The people I play with keeps insulting me by calling me a “Life noob” because I don’t heal them when they’re dying, when in most cases, it’s their fault for coming into the battle unprepared. When I’m fighting a boss, I go in there, blade, trap, kill, and leave. Sometimes I go as far as to research the boss to switch up my simple, yet quick and effective strategy. I’m not going to waste my pips, mana, and time on someone who can’t take care of his or herself, it’s so absurd on how many excuses I get on why I should heal them, “Life wizards shouldn’t hit, they’re only supposed to heal.” Yea, so? Ice and balance wizards are meant to be support classes and never hit, but they dominate in pvp, your response to that?
Here’s a short story. I was teaming in Khrysalis one time, I was paired with a fire wizard. I was doing my own thing with blading and trapping. The fire wizard was doing the same, but he was shield spamming as well. I’m not gonna lie, the boss was beating the both of us up pretty bad, the fire wizard still proceeds to shield spam himself, rather than giving me a few shields. When I seen my health was getting really low, I used a satyr. He asked me “Why didn’t you heal me?” I replied, “Clearly you don’t have a problem shielding only yourself, so I’m sure you wouldn’t care if I healed only myself.” He didn’t say anything else after I said that, and when he died, he fled and never came back. I still defeated the boss, but after the battle, I was thinking to myself if I was wrong, and I shouldn’t be. If he was being selfish, I have every right to do the same and see if he likes the treatment. Looking back now, I think what I did was a little extreme, but just imagine playing this game for as long as I have and have most of the questions being asked were “Can you heal me?” or “Why didn’t you heal me?” or the infamous menu chat phrase, demanding “I need healing.”

Well that was my rant, and I’m glad I finally got this off my chest. I would love to see what people have to say about this lol.
You might not like what I'm going to say.
If you're in a team up, you must act as a team to be successful. The expectation to have a Life Wizard heal is because your class gets the majority of personal & group heals. And you're more capable of casting these spells with a lower number of pips than the rest of us.
You've already stated that team ups helped you proceed though the quest line, those other classed wizards helped you to succeed.
Have you never been "Bladed" by a Balance Wizard? Or have an Ice give you a "Tower Shield "?
So, you're just going to stand there in the dueling circle ( probably going last ) and not help a fellow team member?
Remember some have trained and have heals in their deck; what if a necessary heal isn't showing in their hand?
I guess you're going to let them be defeated "because they can't look out for themselves"?
I'm a Necromancer, yet when I join a team up I generally have 1 or 2 "Sacrifices" in my deck, I also have "Sprite" and I've trained "Satyr" Not to mention the TC cards I stock pile just for those team ups without a Life Wizard.
If you're letting your team be beat up on by bosses and ignoring their need, then I think it's fair for them to ask, "Why didn't you heal me?"
I've been in team ups where the Life Wizard tells us, "Sorry guys, my heals aren't showing." That's a reason that's acceptable - but refusing to heal is not.
If that player is Menu Chat, then ALL they can say is: "I need Healing", it's KI's fault that "please" wasn't added to the phrase.
Sabrina Shade level 120

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Just one thing, team up implies playing as a "team", which clearly people do not do as evidenced by your example with the fire wizard.

99.5% of the time having one person hit and the others blade/support is going to be the fastest scenario to finishing any given battle. If at all possible it is best to discuss "roles" prior to entering the battle with any team you wind up in.

By all means if you are life, ice or whatever and you have the best damage of the bunch, you should hit, conversely, if someone has better damage output, you should consider supporting that wizard, be that blading, traping, healing or what have you.

I know the above is not always possible, but try to make an effort to communicate before you join in the battle circle, things will not only go a lot better, but there will be fewer hard feelings all the way around.

Explorer
Feb 13, 2011
I understand what you're trying to say, but that's reality. If you're part of a team, you're expected to play your school's part. By no means am I saying put on jade gear and only pack heals (that's a good strategy though), but life wizards were made to heal and you are expected to do that unless otherwise said. Take your short story for example. You are complaining about how the fire was shield spamming and telling you to heal him. That wouldn't have happened if you stuck to your role and healed and protected him throughout the fight (and yourself too). Then he could've focused on hitting and it would've been fine.

TL;DR
Unless otherwise established, you're expected to stick to your school's role and not stubbornly avoid it.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
dayerider on May 6, 2017 wrote:
ah, the school stereotype. If these were actually true, only storm, fire (when there are no storm wizards), and myth (when no storm or fire) wizards can hit, balance and death need to give blades and traps to everyone, life can only heal, and ice has to give out shields. This would be an EXTREMELY boring game if that was the case. I say, let those who insist on continuing the stereotypes die (in the game of course) in the hopes that their continual death streak will hope to further their education that this game can be played a ton of different ways. My life is a healing behemoth, and can kick some butt as well. It just depends on the task at hand, and what my teammates and I plan out ahead of time. I LOVE being the healer, but love being the monster killer too, and I have separate gear sets for just those occasions
I have a whole load of Feints and I don't mind if someone wants me to use one - just don't ruin my feints and traps with a wand attack!

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Nobody expects to hear a Life wizard complain about people dying because "they were unprepared." I think the issue is, they were unprepared to have you, a LIFE wizard, not act like a healer. It's very possible they skimped on their healing and went for damage or other support spells precisely because they saw you coming and thought they could relax on the healing aspect.

They trusted you to heal them.

Therefore, if you're NOT going to be a healer, then you need to tell your team that BEFORE the battle starts. Give them a chance to be prepared for your aggressive style of play, rather then let them assume you're going to heal and then they die while you insist it's their fault for trusting a healer to, you know, heal.
Alia Misthaven (always ready with an Availing Hand, no matter who she teams with)

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I don't think there was anything extreme about you healing yourself.
If I've understood the OP correctly you were 'nearly dead' and the other guy was doing nothing but casting shields on themselves despite the boss whomping you both.

Did they expect you to just die? I don't understand why they would be upset.

I also don't see why they'd ask you why you healed yourself. Since you were 'nearly dead' that is reason enough why.

It's possible they were just being thoughtless not out of malice but out of being caught up in a tense battle. But they still should've understood you have to heal yourself when necessary.

There have been other topics about the purpose of a life wizard. I think just because someone is a life wizard shouldn't mean they aren't allowed to hit. The notion they can't heal themselves is a new one and if that was the other person's message that's silly. You're not invincible. You will need healing too.

Life wizards can be strong hitters. They rarely fizzle.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I reread it, and it's unclear but did you refuse to heal the other player? It looks like the other player died but it doesn't say why. I know that I've seen some players go from full health to death on certain boss battles because the boss had a really impossible attack all spell.

So if you refused to EVER heal them but were able to, then yeah I'd say don't hold a grudge, do what's best for the team, even if the other player seems to be selfish. As I said in my other post it could simply be they are thoughtless because they are too intent on the battle. What I mean is, they are focusing on fear, and freaking out a little bit, because the boss is whomping them, and they're not thinking about anything but their own survival. But not in a malicious way, more in a forgetful way.

Also: Speak up. If they have tunnel vision and aren't playing as a good team player then maybe ask for something. Ask them for a blade, shield, etc.

By the same token a lot of players don't seem to understand that being a life wizard doesn't mean you have heals in every round. You might lack enough pips or you might have a hand of nothing but blades, shields, and attacks.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I want to add to the OP:

I don't think you were wrong to heal yourself first rather than the Fire wizard in the story you relayed. If you were both critically low on health, then yes, the healer has to take care of themselves first because they can't help anyone if they're dead.

Your team was just two wizards. In that situation, a good team hitter will do what they can to shield themselves so the healer doesn't have to spend every single turn keeping the hitter alive. A hitter with no defenses is called a Glass Cannon, and they can really drain a healer's energy.

In other words, what he was doing may not have been as selfish as it seemed to you - because he reduced the amount of healing he was going to need with every shield he put on himself. That gave you time to take care of yourself and set up your own attack. Healing yourself first isn't the problem.

Where you went wrong was in presuming the Fire would share his shields (did you even ask him to?), and then telling him you would not share your heals because he didn't share his shields. (Again, did he know you expected him to?)

This isn't about who shared or who gets to hit, but just the concept of teamwork in general. By the time you spitefully told the Fire wizard he was on his own, he was too much damaged to help himself. Basically, you set him up to fail by not letting him know what you expected, and then punishing him for not meeting those (hidden) expectations.

Again, good communication from the start would have prevented this. Before the battle starts, tell teammates that you aren't a healer. During the battle, if you need or want something, ask for it. Don't expect someone to read your mind and then get mad when they can't.

Alia Misthaven

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Each school has their specific skills. Whether we like it or not, it's essential to use our specific skills to succeed in battles, especially when you are on a team.

When my Life is in a full team, he is expected to heal. That way, the other team members do not have to worry about dying and can concentrate on building up for a hit. I put on my heal boosts - auras, charms, card enhancements - so if I cast a Unicorn, it's going to heal for 1500+ (without crit) and I can still help support by throwing out a feint or two.

Now, if my Life was soloing mobs, I do not carry heals. So, if someone jumped into battle expecting to get healed, they are out of luck. But, if I was questing with someone, I would carry hits and heals.

It's all about what your school does and how you play it.

Honestly, if you were in a full dungeon with me and other wizards, and you hit instead of healed, your dungeon days with my team would be over.

Defender
May 30, 2010
As a life maxed myself, I do not have this problem. For the most part, I have my darkmoore suit that does a lot of damage and healing so for the most part I am fine. I will still heal people if they are in trouble and I will shield them. If the people in my group need me to just to heal then I change to my heal suit since it has more incoming and outgoing in it. As for my myth, I will never ask some life to heal me unless than want me as I might be in a few health to death. And remember a few people might not been using their healing spells since the spell we all got only does 400 health that might help for the first arc. But in later arcs becomes not useable because we have over 2000 health. The only other healing spells we could get is satyr but only if use trade points. This why people need life to heal them. I just wish people could see we have eyes and we can see if they are low. Also heal yourself before go into a battle. Ok talking is over.
Just remember heal your friends and yourself