Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is there any point in playing this game?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 06, 2009
102
seasnake wrote:
The Ninja Lore Pack... the only way to get newly offered spells


I find those spells to be largely useless, so I have no complaints there.

seasnake wrote:
Other packs... the only way to get the best equipment


I find that gear to be largely useless, so I have no complaints there.

seasnake wrote:
I feel betrayed, this is hardly a kids/family game when its all about spending money


I find the game to be about having fun with friends, moving through the quests, and of late, trying to hatch the perfect pet.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did spend some Crowns on a Sidhe Staff, Beast Master set, Mastery Amulet, and some Evil Magma Peas.

seasnake wrote:
and gambling.


By definition, gambling is spending money have a chance to gain more money.

I haven't found any examples of that in Wizard 101.

seasnake wrote:
I suggest firing the corrupted staff


I suggest grounding yourself in reality.

seasnake wrote:
that is promoting this line of gambling product


Please produce a single example of anything in this game where you spend real money for a chance to win real money. That is, of course, required in order for it to qualify as gambling, as noted above.

seasnake wrote:
and replacing them with non-greedy personel that actually cares about the players and the game.


We already have this, so no replacement is needed.

Maybe your problem is in the way you approach them?

Dunno. Just offering assistance.

Starting with suggesting you use a dictionary to look up "gambling". lol

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard
Pixie Realm

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2599
kingurz wrote:
Why does everyone assume these spells will only be available as rewards in the Ninja Lore pack? Is there absolutely no possible way these spells would be added as item cards or dropped TCs in the future?

Or is patience the key lacking virtue?


Just as I surmised. There are already reports of the Ninja Lore spells dropping (permanent versions) off some bosses in Mooshu (in some cases confirmed).

There is constructive criticism and feedback that is welcomed on the forums, but there were posts that some folks should feel ashamed for now.

KI is not the evil empire, out to get little kids money, or to become the most greedy company ever. They are simply offering what they always have, the ability to get items through the long and arduest process of farming, or the quicker route through crowns.

Just like the situation with the Mastery Amulets, they are released first on the crowns side of the house, then added as drops (when the newness wears off).

Wizard101 is a great community. Let's not chip away at what has been built over the last three and half years by creating a us versus them (KI) mindset. Especially, the next time something new like this is released.

Explorer
Aug 21, 2010
79
Temperest wrote:
Yes there is a point and your logic is a little flawed heres why:

Waterworks, which does not require gambling of any kind just a lot of time going through multiple times still produces the best gear of all schools in the game.

The pets you get in Celestia still are amoung the best (imo). There is a degree of gamlbe in training them because you dont know exactly what you will get.

But with disagreeing with you, I also have too state my disappointment with KI. You see I wish what you were saying was true. I wish that buying a pack would give me an advantage. Even spending a ton of crowns gambling and getting the best of what the new pack has to offer, waterworks is still the best. The robes, hat, shoes, pet, and even the wand are all substandard. Nothing spectacular about them and another disappointment with KIs logic in creating the gear. Even if there were one item in there that was worth keeping, it would make the blow of taking everything I got in the Ninja pack and cashing it in for a fraction of what I paid less painful.

Another scenerio of scratching my head and wondering why they are creating gear like this.


Totally TRUE!!

Even the level 70-80 stuff is nothing on the waterworks gear.
Total waste of time.

No matter what KI does I will never lose my 45% universal resist on my storm account, (Thats the waterworks gear and my epic sea dragon.)
Or my 85% damage boost.

Level 70 stuff is all much, much lower. Why would I change?

Survivor
Feb 19, 2010
32
gambling gambling honestly if you dont like the game dont pay for a membership and thers no point denying it

Survivor
Mar 30, 2012
19
You know, even if you think the best gear is still in Crowns, there are crown drops. I was helping my transcended friend with Nastrond, and after we beat the Sons of Ymir I got a Lifeforce Blade. Which is basically worth ten bucks in real money. I have also gotten an Elven Fire Robe from Alicane Swiftarrow and a Death Leprechaun from a DragonSpyre or MooShu boss. I know you can get crown drops, so just try.

Cheryl

Survivor
Apr 30, 2012
7
I often ask the same question about life.

It depends on what games and type of platforms your into, or that would be my answer anyway. I like it, its something to do when I'm bored. And its kinda addictive, but I'd try anything once. Is it my favorite game? No. I enjoy console RPG's and Shooters, Like Battlefield, or Skyrim the most.

*And,I can't believe it, they are finally making an online addition of The elder scrolls.. (skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, etc.) I wished, hoped, begged in support emails, and prayed Bethesda would come to their senses, and launch an online Elder Scrolls. And It is due to come out later this year, or early next year. I Just hope its as good as the console single player originals. If that goes through, and It is like the Original Games bethesda has made. I might be spending more time on Elder Scrolls, online. Rather than wizard101.*

But Wiz101 is a cool, family friendly game, safe and simple, and its a pretty elaborate game, seeing its free at the begining, and so inexpensive, for membership, and crowns. It has a rich and deep variety of areas you can explore, you can socialize, and play with friends. Always a plus. And it is well thought up, and its not like some pathetic browser game, like perfect world or those google app games. Wizard101 is by far the best MMORPG out there currently. I'm always looking for new games to play, and in my search I always put; "like wizard101", or relative to that anyway. So, ultimately; Yes the game is worth playing, It just dosnt top other hardcore, big name online games. Which is one of the things that makes Wizard101 and KingsIlse so good, and getting better at it as well. Because They make a good game, and know how to do it too. It is climbing and gaining popularity, I am starting to see commercial ads on television and in other sources other than a webpage ad link. I foresee a lot of progress, and interesting things from KingsIsle. And I think they are on the right track into becoming a major game company, that specializes in online gaming. They have good prompt customer service, and assistance. They monitor, and maintain the software really well, and they are super committed. I can also, honestly add, although I can't believe it..lol That the staff here is more involved, and concerned with their users than PSN, which had a very long unexplained problem with their facebook app. And I could not get an explanation or reason from anywhere or anyone. When I asked PSN support (ON A LIVE CHAT, lol) The tech had no ideal what I meant. The staff and support team here, are very satisfying and do their job. Unlike other game/gaming companys and corporations. So don't diss KingsIsle man, They are boss in their own way, and genre. And the games they make are well-rounded and just plain "Great". :D
Sorry for the long reply. I tend to talk alot. :[

Jeremy, aka Valerian DragonWraith, Necromancer.

Defender
Mar 24, 2009
131
Totally agreed. It makes you wish they had a classic server without mounts and stuff.
However, the best gear in the game is NOT in the packs. There's many other combinations greater than so.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
716
ScorpiousDESMOS. I have to say, I like that nickname. Has a certain ring to it.

Wizard101 for me today remains as my favorite MMO, for 2 reasons.

Primarily because you don't have to be lucky enough or popular enough to reach your character's full potential. Like in all the MMO's that are based around player guilds.

Secondarily because you don't have to PvP for welfare equipment in order to be considered 'good' or accepted within the MMO community.

Wizard101 has it's shortcomings (like the release of pack spells before they were made drops), and while they really destroy a good amount of fun in this game (for me, since I am apparently the only one in existence to think the way I do about this game), they are tolerable only because of the 2 reasons I had mentioned above.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3171
sagerz wrote:
You know, even if you think the best gear is still in Crowns, there are crown drops. I was helping my transcended friend with Nastrond, and after we beat the Sons of Ymir I got a Lifeforce Blade. Which is basically worth ten bucks in real money. I have also gotten an Elven Fire Robe from Alicane Swiftarrow and a Death Leprechaun from a DragonSpyre or MooShu boss. I know you can get crown drops, so just try.

Cheryl


I totally agree with you.

My wizarding family has received a few crowns-items as drops- my Storm wiz got the Harp o' the Emerald Isle (which Pat O'Gold sells around St. Paddy's day) from Meowiarty; my Ice wiz got the Watchtower Boots from some boss in Wizard City, and my sorcerer got Cyrus Drake's picture from a certain General in DS. :D

The best one, though, was finally getting the Ruined Painting (an item worth 5000 crowns) as a drop from Malistaire... I could have spent the crowns, instead of farming for almost a year, and saved myself boatloads of blood, sweat, and tears... but finally getting it was that much sweeter, because I /earned/ it.

I'm so glad that Crowns stuff is available as boss-drops... it teaches kids (and reminds some of us adults, haha) that nothing worth having is easy to attain.

Off to farm some more... I'm 2/3 so far!

L.S.
archmage sorceress, shameless Drake fan-girl, & collector of oddities.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
957
seasnake wrote:
The Ninja Lore Pack... the only way to get newly offered spells
Other packs... the only way to get the best equipment

the game is no longer about playing it to improve your characters to make them the best, now you have to gamble for and buy your way forward

I feel betrayed, this is hardly a kids/family game when its all about spending money and gambling. I suggest firing the corrupted staff that is promoting this line of gambling product and replacing them with non-greedy personel that actually cares about the players and the game.


Seasnake,

I have noticed that lately that the drops from bossss are actually better than the Packs. As already stated, you can get all the Spells are drops from Bosses also. I think this was a good move from KI, at least it gives you options.
On the original question, "Is there any point in playing this game?", for me this is my answer. "Yes" if you have friends that play the game, and "no" if they have all left. I have had three friends now quit the game over the new Guardian Spirit spell. All three have been close friends for years, over two years actually. I only have one close friend left on the game, and he is now talking about leaving at the end of August. So for me, is there any point in playing the game, yes but only till the end of August. In real life Friends is what this game has always been about to me.

Joe.

Explorer
May 10, 2009
58
First of all, it's your choice whether you buy or not. It's not like you are forced to pay for membership or crowns. Also, running a game isn't free. KI needs money to run the game. Also, there is no gambling in this game. As stated above, it's your choice whether you buy or not. Also, minions are found useless in most cases, because you can call your friends in. But in solo quests I always find myself spending crowns on minions for help. By far, Waterworks gear is the best in the game, not crowns gear. Also, if you farm long enough, you may find yourself with crowns drops. This is a family game, and ALWAYS will be.

Survivor
May 15, 2009
49
darthjt wrote:
I have called a Whambulance for all the complainers on this subject.

My recommendation, eat 2 cookies and dry your tears, it will be ok.

You can't miss what you don't have, it changes nothing in PvP, and it finally rewards the people that spend extra real cash on this game with more permanent fixtures.

dude i know that u know someone that i know, but you really dont have to be rude... few of the points on this game are to play with friends, and be nive, and have fun.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2012
7
In reply to catman01.
It is sort of a gamble when buying the packs in the crown shop, like the hoard packs; ninja, dragon, kirin packs. You never know what combination of items you may get, or how rare or vaulable they will be. So to me, The hoard packs are a bit of a slot or chance game. Not to put it down though, I like the rush I get when they pop up one by one after you purchase them. I will probably be buying more of those. :D But one can understand where your coming from.

In reply to BionaKnight.
I don't Fully agree with the statement. Yes you still get seven items. But there is also the chance you get Very rare and neat items, and as well as very common items like a catstail. So either way if you choose to buy the a pack your spending the crowns with which you paid for with money, and your either going to get something cool, or something you wished you didnt get because they are placed about every ten clicks everywhere in each city/world/area. Although I can understand your point of view, you have to take into account, that gambling is all about % and chance, and outcome. Not exactly how much Money you spend(crowns). Its always "you want something good this time" in gambling. For instance in real life, with direct cash gambling I have more of a chance of winning a 100 dollars in black jack, than I do of finding a hundred dollars in the street. Which is perfectly comparable to I have a good chance of finding A neat clothing/armor item, or wnad/blade in a hoard pack, than I do of finding it via boss drop. :D

In reply to thread and all in general
I did not start playing for pack, crown items or any thing that requires cash. I played because it looked interesting. But after seeing and knowing what the bought or "rarely found boss drops" looked like, and how well these items improve your over-all stats. I was driven to buy them, as well as become a member. Its almost pointless to play the game with out crown, or member purchase, because the obvious fact that you wont be able to improve and move forward, not to mention get to other worlds and areas. But there are I think many issues are starting to pop up though with loading, and player conduct. Alot of activity, for the past week, maybe two. Has started to become pretty weird, and altered, I mean the behavior of other players. A lot of clever cursing, and alot of pure nonsense, and I can't walk travel threw the commons now a days, with out seeing a message that makes me stop and wonder why that person just said that. Or why people are having conversations that almost sound "insane" for a lack of a better word. Its almost like a new breed of players have invaded wiz101. O.O So my current experience, slow load problems and always getting the "wait young wizard your not quite ready to go there yet" message when I have been there plenty of times before with no problems at all. But thats changed all of a sudden. And also every no and again, I go to my dorm, and plants appear as boxes, or creates. And I can't interact with them. AND some times I just see other players pets and pet name, and not their wizard or their name. That, and the player conduct and behavior. I don't know if the game will be worth playing if these things continue, or at least don't improve a little bit. :/

In reply to the freindly and helpfull, and emotionally able.
Any one else see or having these same kind of problems. :| I sent support a few emails. And they still havnt replyed. I hope everything is still running ok and safe, there are youngsters playing this game too. And alot of players, should remember that fact and think about what they say and their attidutes. Basically a lot of people, young and old, need a attidute tune-up. It's suppose to be a place/game to forget your troubles and have fun, not cause new ones, and ruin others entertainment, because the game dosnt appeal to these rude people. They would rather Harrass and bother other, which is more crazy and not right than me jumping around the commons, saying something amusing and silly, and PG rated like THESE ARE MY SHOES, and then disappearing and back to my qeust. :) Thats just having a laugh and hoping you see a few "lol" , "XD" , and lets not forget "o.o oh my".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is to everyone that can't be nice or friendly and becomes mental and irrated because a new person, or someone inquiring help asked you something and you just say something totally not deserved or not appropriate, and just plain MEAN.
Bottem line...literally and meaningly, Just have fun, meanie, why so serious?

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
2636
seasnake wrote:
The Ninja Lore Pack... the only way to get newly offered spells
Other packs... the only way to get the best equipment

the game is no longer about playing it to improve your characters to make them the best, now you have to gamble for and buy your way forward

I feel betrayed, this is hardly a kids/family game when its all about spending money and gambling. I suggest firing the corrupted staff that is promoting this line of gambling product and replacing them with non-greedy personel that actually cares about the players and the game.


What I don't like about these new spells is - after hours of battling with my Myth wizard to Farm for Ninja Pigs, I finally gave up and moved on - because they were made available as a drop and now an impossible to make craft item due to the introduction of Amber. They are just a big tease for those who really would like them added to their spells.

The other day my Ice wizard who is questing in Mooshu was given that quest and I got the Ninja Pigs spell in her deck, no farming involved, which is useless to her now that pips are more favorable for my Ice spells so this spell gets immediately removed from my deck but adds a spell to my wizard I do not want - I can't even do a buy back to remove it. My goal with my wizards has been make them true to their school only buying out side spells that enhance the ones from their school, mainly just the blades from Niles and the Sun spells, now the only way I can reverse this mishap is to delete this ice wizard and start again.

I think it all comes down to these spells should not have been introduced as a pack item, they should not be a drop item and certainly not an annoying craftable item, they should of been added to the schools list of spells you get from your teacher or never brought into the game. Clearly they can not be from your teacher now though because KI did not make a new spell for every school so others would be shorted.. In the end these spells have just become an annoyance that just needs to go away for me.

Survivor
Oct 21, 2010
4
seasnake wrote:
The Ninja Lore Pack... the only way to get newly offered spells
Other packs... the only way to get the best equipment

the game is no longer about playing it to improve your characters to make them the best, now you have to gamble for and buy your way forward

I feel betrayed, this is hardly a kids/family game when its all about spending money and gambling. I suggest firing the corrupted staff that is promoting this line of gambling product and replacing them with non-greedy personel that actually cares about the players and the game.


Bro if you were smart enough so search up on google you would find that there is a different way to get the new spells and you can win most of the crown items from a boss in the game..... and there is also a wizard101 wikia so you could check that out stop complaning about stuff when you dont even know all the facts

Survivor
Apr 30, 2012
7
I must quote on seasnake's comment also, The game is playable, with or with out crowns, it will take much longer, and take a good amount of time, to find or retreive items. Be it armor, wands, or cards, or even spells. Its all pretty much aquireable. Although you wont be able to leave the wizard city with out crowns or membership, and also you would be better off buying some items here and there. Time is one of the main factors of the game, its very very time limited base game, everything will run out, unless its perminate. And Ninja packs would not be the only resource for good items, the Bazaar alone is a very good out-post for great items, now mind you I am a membership guy when it comes to my travel, and getting access to other areas, I just pay monthly for membership. But every so often, maybe once every two weeks, I will buy some crowns, to give my wiozard that little to progress further, and faster. But ultimately the game is currently endless, I believe they will continue adding more and more areas. they may stop the reachable level somewhere, but story and progression and possibility for new worlds is endless. They are already making Pirate101, and that is going to be great. I can see them even making it to where, wizard and pirate will be conected somehow, and your pirate can travel to wizard land and vise versa your wizard can travel to pirate world. But all and all seasnake, what your saying is just nonsense. I mean you dont walk into wal-mart and say " hey you should sell all your playstation games for free, I bought a PS3 i should get the games for free!" Think about it, just like the online games for ps3 and xbox, for extra stuff you ahve to pay. Just be a good sport and cough up the dough or ask your parents to do some chores for money(sorry dont know your age) and just buy some crowns man, its fun as heck hounds. lol Another thing you will never find in the game with out crowns, is the "crown only items" and the perminate mounts or the specialty weapons.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
502
You've got to remember that this is a business. If we could just get everything we wanted served to us on a silver platter, the game would shut down. Do you like the game enough to choose whether or not to spend crowns?> Because it is entirely up to you.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2012
7
ionya wrote:
You've got to remember that this is a business. If we could just get everything we wanted served to us on a silver platter, the game would shut down. Do you like the game enough to choose whether or not to spend crowns?> Because it is entirely up to you.


Well said thats what it comes down to really. Some just get a little mad when they buy something via crowns, and don't get anything good, Just get over it, its just a game, and spending money on a game is a waste in itself, so either way, your wasting money. But if you have the means and ok doing that then stop complaining about the subject in general, or stop playing the game.
I like it its fun, I am still trying to work on unlocking the next world level, so far I have (obviously) wizard city, Krocktopia, marleybone, grizzlehiem, and wysteria,

-Jer| aka Valerian DW