Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is Housing worth it?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 25, 2010
Is housing really worth it? Never hd a house, and, besides decorting it, what is it usefull for? I guess for gardening, right? I mean, you wouldn't need to buy pots, I guess. Can somebody help me decide if or not to buy a house? I have enough money for average houses.

Survivor
May 21, 2011
It's just gold, so it's not that big of a deal even if you do wind up deciding you didn't really want it. I know it's a lot of fun for some people getting the perfect house and searching high and low for various decorations and/or spending lots of time/gold on reagents to craft certain housing items, and then decorating everything just so, but that's not personally my thing. I guess I'm not much of a stop and smell the roses type of a person. If it's not going to help/improve my character in some way, I couldn't care less. Most of my characters don't own any property aside of their dorm room which is totally barren aside from their crafting tables. The ones that do own houses just use a swath of land outside for gardening and that's it.

I say if it interests you, just take a look and see whats available and what you like and go for it. You can always get that gold back, and hey, you might be inspired to pick up decorating.

Survivor
May 25, 2010
Thanks, couldn't agree more on the character part lol. However, how do you get gold from housing, and 2, I just remembered that for gardening you need soil right? Soooooo, what's cheaper, pots or soil?

Defender
Aug 08, 2012
ineffablebeing on Jan 19, 2016 wrote:
Thanks, couldn't agree more on the character part lol. However, how do you get gold from housing, and 2, I just remembered that for gardening you need soil right? Soooooo, what's cheaper, pots or soil?
For soil, you just need to get the corresponding gardening spell (which, of course, costs gold) to create soil. For example, if you wanted to plant a Dandelion, you would have to use the spell, "Small Soil" in an area that allows it, which will create soil. You get to keep the gardening spells forever. Soil stays there once a plant is gone. However, using a soil spell costs energy, which is the one of, it not the only, downsides of using soil for gardening.

With pots, you have to buy one for gold, so it is a little expensive if you are buying a bunch of pots. However, they are reusable.

So, in my opinion, I think soil is better, but you may think otherwise.

Defender
Dec 31, 2014
ineffablebeing on Jan 19, 2016 wrote:
I find it easier using soils than using pots since they can be put closer together. Also, pots can cost gold to buy and once you buy soil spells, you can use it whenever you want (for a small amount of energy). There is however, an advantage to pots, you can get rid of them and move them (when empty) without using energy.

Survivor
May 21, 2011
You don't get gold from housing. I just meant you could easily regain the gold you spend on the house through your usual questing and/or farming etc.

As for pots vs soil, I find soil easier. I'm not really sure how much it would cost to buy a whole ton of pots... I've never really looked. I just use the soil spells.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I have many many houses. One house on each of my wizards is strictly for storing unique housing items obtained through questing, packs, or boss drops. Other than that, my houses are decorated and/or used for gardening. Gardening can be important, especially if you need certain reagents, or specific TC cards. I do a lot of crafting for my wizards gear, so gardens are essential, PLUS I have around 350 Evil Magma Peas that I plant to get mega snacks to train my awesome pets. I also plant some King Parsley gardens for Amber, so I can craft the extra spells. So, houses are necessary for me.

Having houses and/or decorating them, or using them for gardening is a nice distraction from the grind of the game. Those who say a house isn't necessary for the character ... well, that's just not true. It depends on what you want for your character, and having a house can help you obtain your wizard's needs.

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
Depends on what you need in terms of a house but I would suggest the red barn farm for your first place

It has lots of space to dump all your pets(or mounts), for those who are trying for a "perfect pet"

It is an automatic "plant like" for any gardeners, plus it has more space than you will ever need for planting. I would suggest using the plot behind the house so you aren't greeted with the collective sound of 100 some odd plants. (I regret not taking this advice)

It has quite a few rooms so their is space for your crafting tables with space to spare if you ever decide you want to decorate.

Also soil spells are easier on the gold since you dont have to go buying pots all the time and if you feel like putting in the effort you can stack them on each other fairly easily (I cant be bothered with that particular process though)