Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is following the meta mandatory later?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 28, 2019
For my wizard, im doing some very niche things. I'm a balance, secondarying in Storm, and also participating in Life (currently), and once I hit Celestia, I'm going to enter the Moon School. All of this is for Role Playing purposes, as this wizard is based off one of my existing characters who employs such tactics in my writing. What im asking is, later on in the game, will this playstyle become so bad/outclassed, that I wont be able to progress? I dont do PvP, luckily, so at the very least, I wont get frustrated with that.

Also, man, I've been asking a lot of questions. I guess rejoining this community got me passionate. Love ya all!

Survivor
May 21, 2011
Your playstyle should be completely fine!

I suppose it may take some extra blades, shields or even a minion/friendly wizard team up to win some fights, but I highly doubt it would defer your progress. Having fun is the main goal is it not?

- Noah SilverBlade

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Tefnut0fHoney on Apr 7, 2019 wrote:
For my wizard, im doing some very niche things. I'm a balance, secondarying in Storm, and also participating in Life (currently), and once I hit Celestia, I'm going to enter the Moon School. All of this is for Role Playing purposes, as this wizard is based off one of my existing characters who employs such tactics in my writing. What im asking is, later on in the game, will this playstyle become so bad/outclassed, that I wont be able to progress? I dont do PvP, luckily, so at the very least, I wont get frustrated with that.

Also, man, I've been asking a lot of questions. I guess rejoining this community got me passionate. Love ya all!
Honestly you are making a huge mistake, especially with moon spells. If you want to play with them get the TC versions....do not waste your training points on them! They become absolutely useless in just a few levels and you'll be crying in a corner for missing out on sun spells or not having enough for potent trap and sharpen blade or the outgoing auras etc etc etc...

I predict this outcome because it happened to me lol...don't make the same mistakes!

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
Tefnut0fHoney on Apr 7, 2019 wrote:

Im going to have to say yes, using storm as a secondary is awful because you dont get storm critical or power from your gear.
Training life to Satyr isn't bad, that's suggested for support schools like balance.
Moon school will lead losses very quickly as the spells don't ever update (so using them in say mirage is about the same as using a level 50 wizard in mirage. Only worst because enemies can boost against you)

Of course my suggestion for training points
Ice to Tower
Life to Satyr
Death to Feint
Your balance so you have natural access to Nile's blades/traps

As for astral schools
Entire fist line
and potent/sharpen

Explorer
Mar 28, 2019
So what you two are saying is either

1) Secondarying into other schools (and moon itself) desperately need a buff

Or

2) Life and Death are so overpowered they need a massive nerf so people can actually enjoy themselves without being told theyre wrong.

Survivor
May 21, 2011
Don't give up on your trained spells just because it isn't the norm.

It is possible to make it work with a little effort and a positive outlook. You will 100% have enough training points the game gives you more than enough, it just takes some patience.

If you really don't want to make the effort to accommodate the spells you have trained now, that's perfectly fine. Then re-purchasing may be the route for you.

The balance school is the best school to try out moon school spells and I think you might actually be on to something with this new strategy.
Use universal blades and universal traps, then polymorph into a form to take advantage of the boosts!

Or use elemental shields, spirit shields, and throw on an availing hands into a polymorph to give it that extra defence so you can focus on using the new spells!

Your current direction is worth playing if you're already on your way and suits your character for role-playing purposes.

For storm spells, I highly recommend crafting some balance - storm gear from the vendors in celestia. They give damage, accuracy and critical to both schools! As well, a storm mastery amulet would ease the stress on your pips. Or perhaps a life mastery if you want to be slightly better in a supportive fashion.

Just because your current path isn't the most popular one doesn't mean that it's not going to be fun! And who says you have to quest alone? Quest with friends, 1000% easier and you can keep your set up!

- Noah SilverBlade

Explorer
Mar 28, 2019
Mocha Choca Latte on Apr 9, 2019 wrote:
Don't give up on your trained spells just because it isn't the norm.

It is possible to make it work with a little effort and a positive outlook. You will 100% have enough training points the game gives you more than enough, it just takes some patience.

If you really don't want to make the effort to accommodate the spells you have trained now, that's perfectly fine. Then re-purchasing may be the route for you.

The balance school is the best school to try out moon school spells and I think you might actually be on to something with this new strategy.
Use universal blades and universal traps, then polymorph into a form to take advantage of the boosts!

Or use elemental shields, spirit shields, and throw on an availing hands into a polymorph to give it that extra defence so you can focus on using the new spells!

Your current direction is worth playing if you're already on your way and suits your character for role-playing purposes.

For storm spells, I highly recommend crafting some balance - storm gear from the vendors in celestia. They give damage, accuracy and critical to both schools! As well, a storm mastery amulet would ease the stress on your pips. Or perhaps a life mastery if you want to be slightly better in a supportive fashion.

Just because your current path isn't the most popular one doesn't mean that it's not going to be fun! And who says you have to quest alone? Quest with friends, 1000% easier and you can keep your set up!

- Noah SilverBlade
Thank you so much. After seeing two people telling me how bad my strat is, I was really stressing out. Mostly about PvE, still.

I already have the Storm Mastery amulet. I'm thinking about buying Life Mastery as well, once I have satyr.

If I have room for another base school after i'm done with Life, Storm, and Moon, I'm gonna add more fun tactics. Probably be a bit gimmicky.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Tefnut0fHoney on Apr 9, 2019 wrote:
So what you two are saying is either

1) Secondarying into other schools (and moon itself) desperately need a buff

Or

2) Life and Death are so overpowered they need a massive nerf so people can actually enjoy themselves without being told theyre wrong.
No, I didn't say either of those things and neither statement reflects my belief or opinion.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Welcome back to the Forums!

Now, I must say, this current playstyle that you are pursuing.

It will only end disastrously for you in the long run.

As a balance, you don't need to train in life as you're already provided with excellent school only healing spells and training storm is just asking for more trouble.

Moon is the worst school within the game and serves no purpose whatsoever for any wizard.

So, if you still want to "try out" these spells; don't waste your training points on them, instead opt for using the Treasure Card Versions.

Instead, what you should use your points on, especially as a balance is:

Death - To Feint (Mandatory)
Star - Amplify, Fortify, Berserk (Mandatory)
Sun - Strong, Giant etc. (Damage Enchanting Spells/ Mandatory)

Notice in no where did I mention any of the schools you highlighted above.

The game gets more difficult as you progress, so it is imperative you are efficiently equipped to deal with these difficulties.

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
Star Edward on Apr 9, 2019 wrote:

As a balance, you don't need to train in life as you're already provided with excellent school only healing spells and training storm is just asking for more trouble.

Moon is the worst school within the game and serves no purpose whatsoever for any wizard.

So, if you still want to "try out" these spells; don't waste your training points on them, instead opt for using the Treasure Card Versions.

The game gets more difficult as you progress, so it is imperative you are efficiently equipped to deal with these difficulties.

most of my wizards do NOT have feint.. in fact, the only one that does have it is death.. so,, it is not mandatory..

Explorer
Mar 28, 2019
Star Edward on Apr 9, 2019 wrote:

Once more, youre telling me, in no uncertain terms, that either the game needs some hard decreases in difficulty for the main story to allow *everyone* to have fu, regardless of playstyle, or that Feint needs a nerf (Seriously, if a spell is so mandatory, you have to go through an entire school to get to it, regardless of how you WANT to play your game, its in MAJOR need of a nerf), or that playing other schools needs a buff. I hate to say the world changes around me, but in this case, its not JUST around me, its around everyone who doesnt want to be a meta sheep.

Survivor
Oct 29, 2010
I am one of the meta sheep here. But I have to say, I like your ideas. I became interested in Wizard101 because of the story and the scope for the imagination. I truly like the idea of creating your wizard as a character in the story and playing him or her according to what your imagination says is the best rather than some unwritten code.

I have 6 wizards currently and all of them have the same path for training spells: ice to tower shield, death to feint, life to sprite or satyr, with a few added like reshuffle, the balance blades, and of course the recommended astral spells. It is like they are the required courses at Ravenwood Academy. It's certainly OK to think of them like that, but it can get a bit boring.

I am glad the schools which have lower hits like ice have the possibility of learning feint as it helps make up for the school's weakness. But some schools may not need it as much. I do love the tower shield for everyone as it limits the number of shields you need and you do not need to keep switching them out before every fight. However it only reduces damage by half. Sprite and satyr are helpful in groups, but could be obtained through treasure cards.

I have not gotten through the entire game as yet. I think my myth will probably be happy she did took the meta advice as myth is a tough school to play at times. but also an interesting one. My death could probably do whatever.

Survivor
May 21, 2011
The meta mandatory for general questing and leveling up is definitely NOT try to make your wizard as offensive as possible.

These days, there is pressure on so many wizards to only buy spells that support their main school, forcing their wizards to go for maximum damage, maximum critical, and high resist.
For sure, this tactic is one that is very effective when:

1) You want to quest fast
2) You want to win battles faster
3) You want to be an effective wizard for your school
4) You don't want people to judge you for not wanting the above items

Otherwise, do you own thing. It's YOUR game, YOUR wizard. Do what you think is right. Wizards have the satisfaction of being able to use your training points on something crazy and instantly undo it by buying back your training points. MAGIC!

But also, do your research. It's definitely good advice to buy the tc versions first before you make those spells a permanent part of your wizard. It'll also make it easier when you eventually train them because you'll have experience using them in battle.

To conclude, the meta mandatory actually IS (in my opinion) learn and get comfortable playing your wizard solo as well as playing in groups. The rest will fall into place from there.

Signing off.
- Noah SilverBlade

Defender
Jan 30, 2014
I don't think anything is mandatory at all, but there will be points in the game where in order to get through a huge boss (eg Rat, Yvengy, Storm Titan, Grandfather Spider) you will need to follow your team and the meta to work together in harmony rather than polymorphing into a gobbler and farting on Ratsputin.

Also the comment "meta sheep" made me laugh. I'm as meta as they get, so does that make me a meta sheep?

Explorer
Mar 28, 2019
ThisGirlIsOnFIRE00... on Apr 10, 2019 wrote:
I don't think anything is mandatory at all, but there will be points in the game where in order to get through a huge boss (eg Rat, Yvengy, Storm Titan, Grandfather Spider) you will need to follow your team and the meta to work together in harmony rather than polymorphing into a gobbler and farting on Ratsputin.

Also the comment "meta sheep" made me laugh. I'm as meta as they get, so does that make me a meta sheep?
I suppose so. Meta sheep is a term coming from competitive TCGs, which tend to have the most undiverse, toxic metas in all of gaming, yet also the most rapid changes. Basically, a meta sheep waits for a deck to take the competitive scene by storm, and then copies it verbatim, with absolutely no changes to it. If you play with even a little bit of originality, then youre no longer quite a meta sheep.