Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I'm new!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 27, 2017
How is everyone doing?
I'm new to Wizard101 and wow, this game looks so beautiful and amazing.
I think I'm already in love with this game, I haven't gotten through the first area yet... or I think I did because now I have to talk to the Headmaster (He reminds me of Dumbledore <3)

I chose to be an Ice Wizard because if I read correctly, that one seems more tankier.
And, well, playing MMORPGs I love to be tanky with high HP And defense.

I chose my outfit in character creation to be all blue with a white trim.
But, as I progressed a little through questing, I found new gear and now my outfit does not match at all and each gear (Head, Robes, Feet) are different colors and I'm just like "My eyes!!! And the embarrassment! I don't want people to think I have no style!"
So, is there a way to keep new gear on, but change the color so I can match colors with other gear?

I'm pretty much playing alone on Wizard101 with no one to play with.
How hard would it be to find someone to group up with to do things that requires being in a group and not doing solo?
I do hope to make some friends here though to play the game with! =D

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
AddiFantasy on Mar 29, 2017 wrote:
How is everyone doing?
I think I'm already in love with this game, I haven't gotten through the first area yet... or I think I did because now I have to talk to the Headmaster (He reminds me of Dumbledore <3)

I chose to be an Ice Wizard because if I read correctly, that one seems more tankier.

But, as I progressed a little through questing, I found new gear and now my outfit does not match at all and each gear (Head, Robes, Feet) are different colors and I'm just like "My eyes!!! And the embarrassment! I don't want people to think I have no style!"
So, is there a way to keep new gear on, but change the color so I can match colors with other gear?

How hard would it be to find someone to group up with to do things that requires being in a group and not doing solo?
hi there, and welcome. :)

i feel your pain re: gear being all sorts of horrid colours. thankfully, the dye shop in the shopping district can fix that if you have the gold (when you enter the shopping district, just go straight and head into the first door on your right).

i started off playing alone as well. i met some people on wizard101central (an approved fansite~ it's free to make an account there and they have an entire forum dedicated to quest help/meetups), though you can also use the team up function for dungeons, either at the kiosk in front of the bazaar or the dungeon itself.

welcome to the spiral, and happy travels!

-von
your friendly neighbourhood half-evil balance wizard

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
Welcome to the game! :D Glad to know you're enjoying it a lot so far.

I agree. While questing the gear you get can make your wizard look horrifying lol. Once you quest a little more, you'll get to an area called the Shopping District where you can dye your gear, and buy some other cool stuff.

I'm pretty sure most players start of with no friends. But as you progress I'm sure you'll make some. Trying team up is one option. On sigils for bosses and dungeons on the bottom you'll find a Team Up! button.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
How is everyone doing?

Hello and Welcome to this wonderful game. There is a dye shop in the Shopping District and you may choose any color you like. Please feel free to visit all the shops in Wizard City and talk to those with a sack symbol above their heads. Those are vendors who you can buys items from. If you are stuck or have any questions, feel free to use this message board and all of us players will be happy to help. Good luck and have fun!!

Explorer
Dec 08, 2010
Aha! I love seeing new people on this game. Welcome to Wizard101! I've spent the majority of my time in the spiral alone, as it helped me pay attention to the story a bit more. However, it does make for a challenge when questing alone sometimes. On occasion, I'll ask some friends or use the Team-Up feature for help if I need it (which proves to be less of a rare occasion as time goes on and the difficulty of the game increases). As far as gear goes, I have a bad habit of choosing the gear that looks best on me rather than the gear that will benefit me the most. I'm trying to work past that, but I'll leave it to your judgment as to whether you'd like to focus on looks or functionality. Lastly, Ice is a pretty good school (just like all of them), but the only problem is that it does the least amount of damage per pip next to the Life school. I like Storm because it does the most damage, even though my school has the least health. I run into a lot of problems because of my school's lack of health, but I make up for it with my ability to end a battle quickly. I imagine that you'll run into issues with not being able to do as much damage as needed, but it'll certainly be made up for with your large amount of health and shielding proficiency.

Have fun in the Spiral!

Defender
Dec 07, 2012
Welcome to Wizard101!
At the beginning of the game I get what you mean by the color of the gear. I just left it the way it was because I wasn't going to stay with that gear too long. When I got gear that was good, I would just dye them the same colors I don't look like a unicorn threw up on me. You can go to a dye shop in shopping district (I think) and it dyed there. I've been solo for most of the game and it gets hard, trust me. But there's always team ups when some dungeons are too much.

I hope you have a good time in Wiz

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Welcome!

All you need to use the dye shop is some gold. Different things cost different amounts of gold to dye. Not everything has the same dye colors available. The basic colors are usually available. With a little practice you can choose a color scheme so your favorite clothes match. You can also pick one piece of clothing (hat, robe, shoes) for looks and another thing for power, and stitch the two things together, using the seamstress in Wizard City Commons or any world.

You will be fashionable before you know it. :)

For gold just click on the gold chests you see around or do some team ups at the kiosk near the Bazaar in old towne and sell what you get from the battles, for gold in the Bazaar.

Hero
May 07, 2015
How is everyone doing?

welcome! and once you get to the shopping district, there is a dye shop that you can dye your outfit in! and if you see me, say hi! I would love to make a new friend!

Miranda jade song 102
scarlet song 16 or 17
fallon star 2
Cheryl shadow 2
paul shadow slinger 1

Survivor
Mar 12, 2017
How is everyone doing?

Hey! Glad to have you in our ranks!

As is said in posts previous, there is a dye shop in the Shopping District, but if I may be honest, I would save your gold for better gear rather than dye gear that you'll be exchanging so often during the first two-three worlds. For most of Wizard City, I looked like a fashion criminal. It was awful, but as you get better gear, it'll fit more to an overall aesthetic. Especially certain gear sets.

Ice, as a school is difficult to solo due to low damage and lack of heals, but as you said, you prefer a tank class in MMORPGs. I would suggest using Team Up for bosses with whom you may not be able to beat. This may be more common in later Wizard City or Krokotopia, but as you progress, you will gain friends. It's weird how it happens, but it just kinda does. I think I have like 30 something friends now and I don't remember how I got all of them.

Anyways, Wizard101 is a great game. I've been playing it on and off since its release and it gets better every time. I'm sure you'll progress through to all the worlds in the Spiral. There's a huge community which is very helpful. Duelist101 always helps me with gear/spell comparisons, Stars of the Spiral is where you can find a lot of information on packs, badges, Zeke quests, and stuff like that. The site I would highly suggest you make an account on is Wizard101 Central. It's an online forum with guides and other such things that range from Pets to Gear to Boss Guides to Dungeon Walkthroughs. I probably use it at least five times a week.

I hope you have a good experience!

-Chase Deathblade, level 62 (at time of posting), currently questing in Science Center, Celestia

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
Hello and Welcome

I started out here solo, unaware and also amazed at the fun! (my first mmorpg).
Like the others have said, don't worry about your Look at first, you will be changing it up often for awhile.

What I did when I first started, was to go to busier Realms when questing; the more people around the more likely someone will be on your same quest line and will be glad to have a buddy to play with. Making friends in the Spiral has always been a great part of the game and easy to do (Wiz has that magic touch).

Must say, there are some Awesome people here that post on these message boards (seasoned players, great advice, etc.) and are always willing to help out and share their experiences.

Enjoy

Survivor
Mar 11, 2017
As for clothing, a lot of stuff you get can be about your school's colours as you get to higher levels. Especially when they come to be your school only type of thing. You may feel sorta insecure as you walk around with oddly match clothing but alot of wizards are dressed this way. I wouldn't suggest wasting hard earned gold at the dye shop just to get your outfit to match, as you will find that newer better items will come fairly quickly.

Ive been playing solo most of my time as a Fire wizard on Wizard 101, first playing in 2010 and coming back recently in 2017, about a month ago. Solo isnt too hard but some dungeons can be impossible without friends. Usually some random people in the commons and such can help you out, as they have with me. Making friends here isnt too hard.

Survivor
Aug 11, 2014
How is everyone doing?

Well a good color scheme for ice is a light blue base and white trim. I would help you if my friends list wasn't full.

Hope this helped!

< Logan Goldcatcher lvl 76 >