Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ignore Friends

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 03, 2009
I'm confused.

The Ignore feature for friends does not make a whole lot of sense. I had been under the impression the Ignore feature was a way to temporarily hide from a friend. But that is not the case.

As currently implemented, you can only Ignore another character that is already a friend. Further, when you Don't Ignore them, they cease to be your friend. There is no mechanism for moving an ignored friend back to your Friends list. Hence, the Ignore feature is functionally equivalent to the Remove feature.

An Ignore feature that works on a temporary basis would be very useful but does not exist. This permanent version seems pointless. Can someone please explain to me what it's for or how to use it?

A Modest Proposal
How about this? When you Ignore a friend, let them remain your friend. They simply don't appear on your Online Friends list nor do you appear on theirs.Then, when you Don't Ignore them, they can resume normal friend behavior. Removing a friend can still work in the usual manner.

Thanks.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Galen IronCaller on Apr 16, 2013 wrote:
I'm confused.

The Ignore feature for friends does not make a whole lot of sense. I had been under the impression the Ignore feature was a way to temporarily hide from a friend. But that is not the case.

As currently implemented, you can only Ignore another character that is already a friend. Further, when you Don't Ignore them, they cease to be your friend. There is no mechanism for moving an ignored friend back to your Friends list. Hence, the Ignore feature is functionally equivalent to the Remove feature.

An Ignore feature that works on a temporary basis would be very useful but does not exist. This permanent version seems pointless. Can someone please explain to me what it's for or how to use it?

A Modest Proposal
How about this? When you Ignore a friend, let them remain your friend. They simply don't appear on your Online Friends list nor do you appear on theirs.Then, when you Don't Ignore them, they can resume normal friend behavior. Removing a friend can still work in the usual manner.

Thanks.
The ignore feature is not a way to 'temporarily hide from a friend'. The ignore button is used for wizards that you don't want to see their conversation any more. Usually, those that annoy, beg for gifts, are rude/bully/harass, etc.

There is a "hidden to friends" that is can be used. This does not remove them from your friend list. Basically, if you have someone on ignore, you don't want them as a friend.

Defender
May 11, 2012
The "ignore" button would be better if we could use it to temporarily hide from a friend without deleting them from our friend's list. The problem with the "hidden from friends" button is that you are hidden from ALL your friends. Sometimes I am questing with friends, and if somebody is constantly bugging me for help over and over again, and doesn't understand that I am busy, it would be nice to temporarily be able to ignore that person without having them be removed from my friends list. Putting somebody on ignore shouldn't be an automatic removal, because I may not want to stop being friends with that person. I don't use the "ignore" button when I don't want somebody on my friend list anymore; that is what the "remove friend" button is for. I was very unhappy the first time I used the ignore button. I didn't realize it deleted somebody off of my list. I went to take the person off of ignore, and poof, they were gone off of my list. I haven't used the ignore button since. Being put on ignore does not equal an automatic goodbye to the friendship to me. It would make more sense if they could incorporate an individual "hidden from friends" button. I agree with massousa's "modest proposal" and don't understand why it wasn't set up that way to begin with. To me, the ignore button is far better suited for those times when you want to block unkind or profane chatter from strangers around you that are not on your friend's list.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Quequeg is correct~ the Ignore button is usable on any wizard, and it's used when you don't want that person as a friend. Specifically, you should use it only if you don't want to see that person's conversation anymore, like when someone is harassing you, using inappropriate language, or begging for gifts.

There is a "hidden to friends" option~ press Escape, then display options (I think), then Hidden to friends>yes, then click OK. If you are hidden, you will not appear on your friends' online list and you will not be able to access yours until you turn it off. When you turn it off, those on your list will still be your friends.

-von (awesome)