Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ice or Myth?

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jan 01, 2010
Okay, I have a question for folks with both Ice and Myth wizards. Given that we are only allowed 6 wizards, I chose to not have an Ice wizard. After playing the game for nearly a year, I have found that of all my wizards, Myth is the most difficult to play and in many ways the weakest. I like the spells but it lacks punch.

So my question is, should i knock off my Myth wizard to start an Ice wizard? My Myth wizard is in mooshu (all the rest are in CL or DS). I can see that in CL Ice has a huge advantage with so much life. And you can boost it's spells with the enchantment card. I am concerned that Myth in CL will be very difficult (low life, minions don't help much).

Any comments appreciated! Thanks.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
addisoncrawford wrote:
Okay, I have a question for folks with both Ice and Myth wizards. Given that we are only allowed 6 wizards, I chose to not have an Ice wizard. After playing the game for nearly a year, I have found that of all my wizards, Myth is the most difficult to play and in many ways the weakest. I like the spells but it lacks punch.

So my question is, should i knock off my Myth wizard to start an Ice wizard? My Myth wizard is in mooshu (all the rest are in CL or DS). I can see that in CL Ice has a huge advantage with so much life. And you can boost it's spells with the enchantment card. I am concerned that Myth in CL will be very difficult (low life, minions don't help much).

Well, I started with Ice. If you're looking for "punch" in your spells, that wouldn't be the class for you. Don't get me wrong, I love it. It has tremendous potential, but you're going to need to be very patient. Because of high health, defenses, and resist to all, you can outlast most enemies, but you're going to be there for quite a while fighting them. I still think that of the wizards I've played, ice takes the longest because of the average length of battle. You get an ice trap at level 7, but the next buff you get isn't until balefrost at level 33, followed by your blade at level 38. Sure, there are amulets you can buy and other schools you can use to augment damage (ice has some of the lowest base damage in the game), but the focus of the class is clearly on defense which starts to really pay off by Celestia.

I also have a myth, however, as does my son. Mooshu has a lot of myth enemies, so it can be frustrating. If you choose to stay with it and assuming you solo, perhaps this bit of advice will help... Think of your minions like shields. A 0 pip minion at the beginning will immediately start attacking, allowing you to save pips. If you cast a stronger minion as soon as you have the pips, you can extend the distraction and he will likely set up hits for you while you build for bigger spells. The important key is to not heal or attack until you have enough pips, buffs, and shields to enter the fray. I find this tactic to be very useful. If you combine it with all your minion spells (buff, shield, mend, etc) and also learn tower or weakness, or both... you're a pretty potent force to be reckoned with.

Hope this helps.

Survivor
Mar 06, 2010
Defender
Jul 13, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
addisoncrawford wrote:

Well, I started with Ice. If you're looking for "punch" in your spells, that wouldn't be the class for you. Don't get me wrong, I love it. It has tremendous potential, but you're going to need to be very patient. Because of high health, defenses, and resist to all, you can outlast most enemies, but you're going to be there for quite a while fighting them. I still think that of the wizards I've played, ice takes the longest because of the average length of battle. You get an ice trap at level 7, but the next buff you get isn't until balefrost at level 33, followed by your blade at level 38. Sure, there are amulets you can buy and other schools you can use to augment damage (ice has some of the lowest base damage in the game), but the focus of the class is clearly on defense which starts to really pay off by Celestia.

I also have a myth, however, as does my son. Mooshu has a lot of myth enemies, so it can be frustrating. If you choose to stay with it and assuming you solo, perhaps this bit of advice will help... Think of your minions like shields. A 0 pip minion at the beginning will immediately start attacking, allowing you to save pips. If you cast a stronger minion as soon as you have the pips, you can extend the distraction and he will likely set up hits for you while you build for bigger spells. The important key is to not heal or attack until you have enough pips, buffs, and shields to enter the fray. I find this tactic to be very useful. If you combine it with all your minion spells (buff, shield, mend, etc) and also learn tower or weakness, or both... you're a pretty potent force to be reckoned with.

Hope this helps.

We dont get ice blade till level 38? Well that sucks. Back on topic, i prefer my ice to my myth, mostly because after playing as a storm wiz up to mooshu, its nice to hav more health than the enemies i am fighten ;) ;) :P :P

Amber Stormsong level 38 diviner

Delver
Mar 08, 2009
Actually I have a myth wizard ( currently in DS ) and she soloed almost everything because she used minions. It is pretty easy if you use your minions.

Survivor
Dec 12, 2008
Well, to be honest, I would boot the myth wizard. I love my ice wizard and my myth wizard's spells, but Ice is one of my favorite schools. It would not be the eaiest desison for ME because you have worked so hard on your myth and you would have to start ALL over at unicorn way again! :( But, in the long run, I think you would be better off starting over because you would could get better spells and stuff.

Hope I could help! :),
A younge future wizard

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I have both Myth and Ice. With myth you can get your boosts earlier in the game, but they have lower health. Ice has lower damage, but their health and defense more than makes up for it.

As for which one I would choose, I would have to go Myth, but i think that is because I prefer the spiritual schools over the elemental ones. (Personal Preference is all.)

If your Myth is just sitting in your school room getting moldy and offending the others with his/her stench, then maybe you should try ice. You may like it more than Myth.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
If you are having trouble with myth, you should probably look into what you have as your secondary spells. Did you train well in ice for tower and other great defensive shields? Myth can really do well on its own because of its minions. You better be making good use of them. The troll is very aggressive and the cyclops is a great supporter. He now drops a spirit shield once in a while and his health has been increased.

As far as myth having weak attacks, using your minions and attacking along with them can really add on the damage. And all of the insane boost to their attacks really show in celestia.

Over 44%!! Not to mention that coupled with your time of legend spell and things. Start experimenting with your myth in different ways you havent before. I pretty much soloed most of the game with myth but it can be tricky when going second given myth doesn't have any type of attack that heals or its own healing spell. You could end up taking a lot of damage at that point even if you get a minion up.

Mastermind
Jan 01, 2010
Thank you all for your helpful input. I think I will keep the Myth wizard for now. One, I don't have a lot of patience and two, I really like the Minataur spell! Also, the Ice spells are too...well...blue. I may of course regret this later in CL when I get knocked off in a round or two, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

But KI, how about we not put folks through this and let us have a seventh wizard??? Please!!!! In fact, I hate to suggest this, but you could even make it a money making ploy but including an elixer for a seventh wizard in one of your gift cards. Anything! Please just give us a seventh wizard!!!

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
addisoncrawford wrote:
Thank you all for your helpful input. I think I will keep the Myth wizard for now. One, I don't have a lot of patience and two, I really like the Minataur spell! Also, the Ice spells are too...well...blue. I may of course regret this later in CL when I get knocked off in a round or two, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

But KI, how about we not put folks through this and let us have a seventh wizard??? Please!!!! In fact, I hate to suggest this, but you could even make it a money making ploy but including an elixer for a seventh wizard in one of your gift cards. Anything! Please just give us a seventh wizard!!!

Doubtful that's ever going to happen. Would you prefer to waste the bandwidth on an Additional Wizard slot, or would you perhaps prefer to have a Larger friend's list? I personally would go with the Larger list since I have so many friends and I don't have room for all their wizards. Also, you have to think about Account Backup storage, and how much data KI has to hold onto. KI holds onto all deleted characters over Level 10 for 30 days.

but to the OP Regarding Ice or Myth for Celestia:
If you've properly mastered your schools, the choice is easy: Use whichever you like more. If you like them equally, I would recommend the Sun Boosts for Ice (Strong, Giant, Monstrous, Gargantuan) and perhaps the Polymorphs for Myth.

The only addition I could see KI making is allowing Myth to have Multiple Minions. After all, you are the Master of Monsters not Monster Master.

Survivor
May 28, 2009
After playing the game for nearly a year, I have found that of all my wizards, Myth is the most difficult to play and in many ways the weakest.
That's funny, my Myth wizard often seems like my strongest one, but that may just be my playing style.

Over all, Myth is not the best choice for offencive punch, but because it's pet/minion bassed, it works best for small groups and players who wand a good spread of powers (as in more then just one kind). Players with lots of friends and/or who want lots of attacks probably do better with Death or the elemental schools, while those who like to solo a lot or end up in smaller groups may work well with Myth since you can heal or do something else while your minnion gives you extra attacks.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Reflecting on all of Myth's spells that make it independent:

Orthrus and minotaur, pop away shields with their double hits.
Minions acting as supporters and shield eaters
Earthquake: leaves your opponent completely naked
Cleanse ward: clears away those nasty traps, feint included thank goodness
and now Medusa, stuns for two rounds!

I can't imagine using another wizard from any school with a spell set like this!