Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ice damage boost.

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 27, 2011
So I been asking how come Ice has better damage blades and traps and they suppose to do the lowest amount of damage? Yet Storm that "suppose" to do the greatest damage, get lower damage blades and traps.

Storm can have up to 90%+ damage boost with gear.
Ice can have up to 49%+ damage boost with gear.

I gonna add the boost from the gear, blade and trap.

Storm: 90% + 30% + 25% = 145% damage boost.

Ice: 49% + 40% + 30% = 119% damage boost.

The difference is a 26% damage boost.

Another words, Ice can have as much damage boost as Storm, yet they have double or triple the health and higher resistance.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
Don't forget about supercharge, that has a storm boost that can't be beat if charged properly.

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
so are you saying ice has equal damage? because if you are i have to say you are wrong. they can have an equaly boost but not equal spells. ice wyvern vs. kracken for example both four pip spells. 335-395 ( i cant remember exactly but its a guestimate) for wyvern and 520-580 in kracken. also add in the fact of sun spells that boosts storm even higher while wyvern with gargantuan barely does as much as kracken without a sun spell. the extra damage makes up for the resistance and health.
if you are saying they arent as over or underpowered as some people say i agree.

P.S. 26 percent damage boost is a lot. i would love to have that much added to my storms clothing attack bonus.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011

You have a basic principle wrong. You multiply the numbers together, not add.

1.9 x 1.3 x 1.25 = 308% boost for storm
1.49 x 1.4 x 1.3 = 271% boost for ice

Let's take max damage between wyvern and kraken as an example.

Kraken: 580 x 3.08 = 1786 damage
Ice Wyvern: 395 x 2.71 = 1070 damage

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
ArmoredRaptor wrote:
So I been asking how come Ice has better damage blades and traps and they suppose to do the lowest amount of damage? Yet Storm that "suppose" to do the greatest damage, get lower damage blades and traps.

Storm can have up to 90%+ damage boost with gear.
Ice can have up to 49%+ damage boost with gear.

The difference is a 26% damage boost.

Another words, Ice can have as much damage boost as Storm, yet they have double or triple the health and higher resistance.

First, you are adding the boosts together and they don't work that way. They are multiples, not additives, so redoing your posted figures, it would be:

Storm: 90% (1.90) x 30% (1.30) x 25% (1.25) = 208% boost (3.08)

Ice: 49% (1.49) x 40% (1.40) x 30% (1.30) = 171% Boost (2.71)

Secondly, the base damage rate of ice is lower per pip than storm. Therefore, the amount of added damage is less for ice than that of storm. By way of example, the average damage of kraken and ice wyvern and their resulting boost are:

Storm: Kraken - 550 avg. (4 pips) x 208% = 1144 extra damage (1694 total)

Ice: Wyvern - 365 avg. (4 pips) x 171% =
624 extra damage (989 total)

As you can see, despite the fact that storm is only getting a little over 30% more boost, the higher base damage per pip results in a damage bonus nearly twice as high as ice. Hopefully, this helps to shed some light on the situation.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2008
Super charge is hardly ever used. I only use it in two conditions. One is if it appears in my first starting hand will i use it for an extra blade percentage and Two is when a boss has high health. Other then that I hardly use super charge since it takes forever to charge properly. :p

Now for the wyvern vs kraken theory, of course storm has the advantage in low lvl spells. Spells 1-5 Storm has the upper hand but when you get to spells 7-9 (I'm not counting 6 because it'll be just a bigger debate) Ice has a Good damage output. Such as wooly the mammoth and Snow Angel. Snow angel being good because of it's DOT and when you add your damage boost and Blades it's a force to be reckon with. (especially in PVP)

Jeffery LionCaller Trascended Diviner

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
tigerswhiteblood wrote:
Super charge is hardly ever used. I only use it in two conditions. One is if it appears in my first starting hand will i use it for an extra blade percentage and Two is when a boss has high health. Other then that I hardly use super charge since it takes forever to charge properly. :p

Supercharge is difficult to use properly and highly case specific. I concur with that assessment.

tigerswhiteblood wrote:
Now for the wyvern vs kraken theory, of course storm has the advantage in low lvl spells. Spells 1-5 Storm has the upper hand but when you get to spells 7-9 (I'm not counting 6 because it'll be just a bigger debate) Ice has a Good damage output. Such as wooly the mammoth and Snow Angel. Snow angel being good because of it's DOT and when you add your damage boost and Blades it's a force to be reckon with. (especially in PVP)

Jeffery LionCaller Trascended Diviner

At higher levels, most spells take on "special" effects which adjusts the base damage, however, the general amount of damage per pip still applies. Look at Leviathan vs. Woolly Mammoth:

Leviathan - 1030 and remove 2 positive charms (8 pips)
Woolly Mammoth - 800 - 900 and stun (9 pips)

So using the same math from my previous example and realizing that the ice spell is one more pip, here's the output:

Leviathan - 1030 x 208% = 2142 extra damage (3172 total)

Woolly Mammoth - 850 avg. x 171% = 1453 extra damage (2303 total)

Again, woolly mammoth is an additional pip for a still smaller bonus amount of damage. The two schools still have the same damage output they used to with some trade-offs for tactical effects. I'm not going to get into debating tactics here because in my opinion, it strays too far from the thread topic. The bottom line is that ice doesn't have as much damage boost as storm despite having a larger blade and trap.