Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ice becoming Obsolete

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 28, 2009
Ice is starting to become obsolete as more updates come, now with extra critical that's over 500 maybe even 600 and the new bubble war that crushes resist. I think its time ice gets a new powerful defense spell, and I'm thinking a 100% tower shield like the cheating bosses get and it only cost two pips maybe zero if KI wants to be nice. Some people may say "wow dude, that's OP", my comment to that is, how can ice compete as a defensive school vs those power hungry schools that can do 40,000 with one blade. Now that I'm on the survival topic, life's guardian spirit should be brought back to its first form, now that pvp is about who can critical first, life should be able to use a good spell to survive those intense attacks, and be able to help his team past death too. Back to ice, KI, ice deserves strong defense spells, like immunity was good but it was towards to only two specific schools which to some players you kind of made it seemed ice is your favorite, now your stuck in a situation to where you tried to fix the jade shell and immunity, instead created a new era of pvp where critical is better than resist. My solution is design new defensive spells for ice like the one I suggested, so that ice can going back to the school that everyone respected now the one where facing a ice is a joke because you can critical him to death in five rounds. Summary: Upgrade ice spells to something more powerful and defensive, maybe use star to help. Second bring back guardian spirit in original form, Third make new gear that was Avalon gear that gave 80 resist to fire and storm but make it global, and 50 or 60 damage base to balance it to give ice back a fighting chance, if you don't take my advice you might run the risk of having ice be the first dead school. Any comments to my suggestion is greatly appreciated and good luck in the spiral thank you for your time.

Historian
May 15, 2009
first and foremost, and this isn't to push the thread off topic, but you need to learn how to structure your posts. right now what you have is what some people I know would call a great wall of china.

It is a very large wall of text that can be very difficult to keep your place in because everything is so jumbled together. A simple way to fix is to take example from what I am doing here and break it up every 3-4 sentences, possibly less if it makes it easier for you. This helps everyone comprehend what you are writing about from the start and they won't have to keep combing through it because their eyes have a difficult time keeping itself on the place it stopped at.

Back to the topic at hand. While I agree that Ice needs to have something new to firmly set it as the mainly tank themed school, I disagree about giving them another tower shield. As I stands right now, that under ideal conditions a 100% tower wouldn't even slow them down. A shrike alone would decimate it to 50% which would make it no more effective than a regular tower. On top of these we have gear that give pierce naturally and we have blades now that pierce as well. just based on what I have currently in the live game I could cut that 100% down to a measly 18 percent under the right conditions.

This is just what I have with the live game alone. If what you said is right about new field spells with even more pierce, that makes it a waste of a turn or pips to cast a shield. like that. Ice wizards would need something other than a tower shield. I would say something more along the lines of a new armor spell. This absorbs damage based on attack damage dealt and not percentages. this would effectively nullify the pierce aspect and focus more on tanking a lot of damage from the attack rather than trying to weaken it.

Survivor
Nov 05, 2011
This hurts my brain just reading it. What game are you playing because it's definitely not Wizard101. Scared of criticals? Get some block. No school can do 40,000 damage with one, blade, or anywhere near that. Asking for a 100% tower? ARE YOU INSANE? This is the most outrageous thing I have ever heard. Even for 14 pips this is ridiculously overpowered and you're talking about being able to spam it. One word: NO! And you go on to request gear with twice the damage and three times the resistance of all others. Ice is FINE as it is. It's a great school that can take lots of damage and deal damage and stun as well. All schools are well balanced, just work on your strategy or something because these ideas... just.. NO.

Survivor
Apr 25, 2011
Hi DarkAce! Couldn't help responding to your question..

You're right, Ice is a defensive school and it should deserve more defensive-based spells, but the ones you listed are going a bit too far. if you were to get a 100% tower shield, then it would just eliminate all damage and only for 2 pips?? I might sound a bit harsh and a lot of the times I do xP, but that's just way too Op. I can deal with up to like 80-90% but at least use up more pips. Anyways, I hear a lot of schools complaining about ho weak or useless their school is to them cause it's not living up to their conditions. But actually, all schools are useful. Wizards are just using them the wrong way, and doing choices against their school. If you ask me, ice has a lot of shields, and they wouldn't need any more. Legion shield, tower shield, Ice absorb to the amount of pips they have? that should be good enough. I know i'm probably wrong with this, and I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me, but I just felt like sharing my thoughts. Sorry for any rudeness I caused, and I know I'll probably cause a lot, and if you really feel this way, then by all means, create it, and hope that KI likes your ideas

Austin GriffinBlade... I have to do this so many times

Explorer
Feb 28, 2009
Aerier on Apr 7, 2014 wrote:
This hurts my brain just reading it. What game are you playing because it's definitely not Wizard101. Scared of criticals? Get some block. No school can do 40,000 damage with one, blade, or anywhere near that. Asking for a 100% tower? ARE YOU INSANE? This is the most outrageous thing I have ever heard. Even for 14 pips this is ridiculously overpowered and you're talking about being able to spam it. One word: NO! And you go on to request gear with twice the damage and three times the resistance of all others. Ice is FINE as it is. It's a great school that can take lots of damage and deal damage and stun as well. All schools are well balanced, just work on your strategy or something because these ideas... just.. NO.
First off, first I was making a point to make the readers think about damage not just specifically 40,000.
Second were going to be lvl100, you can expect uber spells to come eventually for each unique school.
Third its a tower shield meaning you can just wand it and only a lvl100 ice wizard would be able to have it, its no where near overpowered, I was only giving out my idea for others to give their opinion and improve on the idea, you don't have to get mad and throw rotten eggs all over my FIRST POST.
Finally to answer your last comment, Ice was good and had decent balance at level 80 but now at level 95 people can have easily pierce resist and just chip down ice easily without even making a strategic effort. Ice use to be the giant, powerful, hard to kill defense school, now in the pierce era it doesn't have anything in active to make it very unique and powerful anymore. Due to easy to gain mega pierce.I know you said work on your strategy which kind of bothers me since I have 3 high levels that are warlords Ice, Fire, and Storm the rest I don't play but thank you very much ill consider this in future posts.

Defender
Aug 25, 2013
Anyone remember legion shields?

I feel that legion shields are constantly overlooked in pvp. "But John it's only 30%" well that's wonderful. How about you stack both? Then the shrike pierces tower, the players gear pierces however much into legion, and then you still got your resist.

There is no need for ice to have any more shields, let alone a 100%. Creative thinking in PvP will make shrike practically worthless or at least lessen it's destructive ability. Spells I have found to be extremely effective against shrike:

x Bad Juju
x Efreet
x Beguile
x A dispel to that wizard's school
x Earthquake or Enfeeble
x Choke, Blinding Light, or Freeze
x Black Mantle or Smoke Screen (maybe as a last resort )

my point is there are several ways to counter shrike, or at least hold it off. Any time someone uses shrike on the opposite team in pvp, my main goal is to find a way to prevent that wizard from doing serious damage to me or my team for the next 3 turns. if you wanna talk about survival, it's all about learning how to adapt. Simple as that, don't take that in a hostile tone, but don't expect KI to instantly jump outta their seat when in reality, since shadow magic can be trained by all schools, everyone has the same advantages and disadvantages they had before the introduction of it to pvp.

John RavenCatcher - lvl95
John StormWalker - lvl95
John DragonPyre - lvl51
John FrostShard - lvl42

"Bambi is my old name.
Now.. Now they call me Deer Knight."