Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I miss the old days

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 24, 2010
When I started playing this game, there were a lot of people walking and talking on the streets, everywhere you went (especially Wizard city). There were certain spots were people did different things (like the kraken was always being fought to farm XP, or high level wizards use to show off their new skills to new players in unicorn way), the community was thriving. I also remember pvp was a lot funner, people use to strategize and use all kinds of cool looking spells, but now it's just a race to see who can put up the most blades and hit, plus pvp is unbalanced, privates are put up against warlords who have access to better gear and more experience, I'm not yet an exalted but I heard that darkmoor made stuff unbalanced too. Plus the main story doesn't feel as good as it used to, I don't like the new art direction as much or it's story, plus it's really hard, and not in a better way, but it's sometimes tedious as an ice wizard fighting mob fights, they have really high health but not enough to beat me, it's just damage spell after damage spell until they die, but it used to be that you had to strategize and think about what the enemy was going to do, but now it's impossible unless you have a friend helping (in which case it is easy but long). Now I'm not saying the game is bad now, It's still a very good game to me, but I think it can be restored to it's former golry, what do you guys think would make the game like it was before?

Survivor
Apr 23, 2016
I'd start with bringing back the old arena You know, the arena that everyone would flock to and race to join the next battle before it was full. Those were the old, old days, before everything was about labels in pvp.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
indyjunior on Apr 12, 2017 wrote:
When I started playing this game, there were a lot of people walking and talking on the streets, everywhere you went (especially Wizard city). There were certain spots were people did different things (like the kraken was always being fought to farm XP, or high level wizards use to show off their new skills to new players in unicorn way), the community was thriving. I also remember pvp was a lot funner, people use to strategize and use all kinds of cool looking spells, but now it's just a race to see who can put up the most blades and hit, plus pvp is unbalanced, privates are put up against warlords who have access to better gear and more experience, I'm not yet an exalted but I heard that darkmoor made stuff unbalanced too. Plus the main story doesn't feel as good as it used to, I don't like the new art direction as much or it's story, plus it's really hard, and not in a better way, but it's sometimes tedious as an ice wizard fighting mob fights, they have really high health but not enough to beat me, it's just damage spell after damage spell until they die, but it used to be that you had to strategize and think about what the enemy was going to do, but now it's impossible unless you have a friend helping (in which case it is easy but long). Now I'm not saying the game is bad now, It's still a very good game to me, but I think it can be restored to it's former golry, what do you guys think would make the game like it was before?
Bringing back the old critical system would fix a lot of problems.

I also think buffing Mirage back to what it was when it first came out would make Wiz better. When I first quested, it actually required strategy and thought to get through, and my friends and me had lots of fun getting through it. Now, it's just boring cause it is ridiculously easy to get through it.

I guess I somewhat agree with the story part. I loved the story in Khrysalis, and I was genuinely upset questing in Polaris, because that world is so bad compared to Khrysalis. Mirage made me way more interested in the third arc story, but upon its nerf, I quickly got disinterested.

Explorer
Jan 24, 2010
great ideas guys, here's some more on how we can make wizard 101 as good and popular as it use to:

Make the story and presentation edgier for future worlds: One of the reasons why wiz is less popular is because the original players grew up, my brothers use to play and they say one of the reasons they stopped is because they moved on to more mature games. The ending to Azteca was a step in the right direction, and so was khrysalis for the most part, but we need unicorn way to feel like all of dragonspyre (but please don't change any pre-existing worlds). Now I'm not saying to add blood or gore when someone takes damage, but maybe kingsisle can take a risk by making the art style grittier or more realistic, having more human characters, having more fighting violence etc., but nothing that would make parents unsure for 10 year olds.

Make the game more affordable: Another reason my bros quit was because they had limited money and a lot of things to buy. The option to craft the monstrodome, earning crowns, and pvp tourneys being avaliable for gold to members are all really great. However, we still need a little more.

Add more little touches: More and more games are adding fancy new app-like touches. True friend codes were good, but wouldn't emojis in chat be cool? Or in-game letters to friends, or inviting friends to your castle to play some video games that give you gold or items (or even crowns?). Being able to somehow tie your account to a fansite would be cool too.

Wizard 101 is by no means dying and Kingsisle is listening to us (as I implied above) and It makes me happy that I am starting to see more people wizarding and being a community.

Survivor
Oct 18, 2008
When we talk about the "Old Days" of Wizard101, are we talking about all the way back to 2008-2010 or more recent-ish? I'm pretty sure I started playing right around when Dragonspyre was implemented, and I agree the community used to be friendlier. People would stand around in the shopping district trying to get people to trade cards, Level 50 players would usually take you to Dragonspyre if you asked nicely. Helephant and Colossus were the BEST cards and you were cool if you had them. Just overall, I think I preferred the game when it was like that. As the game is now, PvP is a joke, Higher level characters usually ignore everyone around them, and people speedrun through the game without taking time to appreciate the years of time and effort put into this game.

Don't get me wrong, I still love this game and it's one of my all time favorites, I just feel like it has departed from what made it great somewhere over the years.

(First post. Let's see if it puts my join date as today, or the creation of my game account.)

Signed,
Gavin Waterhammer

Explorer
Jan 24, 2010
Gavin Waterhammer on Apr 16, 2017 wrote:
When we talk about the "Old Days" of Wizard101, are we talking about all the way back to 2008-2010 or more recent-ish? I'm pretty sure I started playing right around when Dragonspyre was implemented, and I agree the community used to be friendlier. People would stand around in the shopping district trying to get people to trade cards, Level 50 players would usually take you to Dragonspyre if you asked nicely. Helephant and Colossus were the BEST cards and you were cool if you had them. Just overall, I think I preferred the game when it was like that. As the game is now, PvP is a joke, Higher level characters usually ignore everyone around them, and people speedrun through the game without taking time to appreciate the years of time and effort put into this game.

Don't get me wrong, I still love this game and it's one of my all time favorites, I just feel like it has departed from what made it great somewhere over the years.

(First post. Let's see if it puts my join date as today, or the creation of my game account.)

Signed,
Gavin Waterhammer
I'm talking before 2014, and yes I remember when people used to play the game instead of just skip all the dialogue, I try not to be one of those people, but whenever i meet someone they're just like "hey, want to go from lvl 94-100 in an hour?" And they sometimes just unfriend me after they are done with what they needed instead of trying to be an online friend. I'm usually ignored or belittled at school so even though I might seem lost, the internet and my family are all I have. I still remember when the lvl 50 spells were amazing too. I even remember watching my bro getting meteor strike and he was going to use it in unicorn way so people would think he's like Ambrose, but once again, my bro stopped playing. I also remember when treasure cards were basically like currency. I really hope Kingsisle fixes this game like it's starting to do.