Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I have a big problem with this game.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 25, 2013
3
I really like this game, but there are some BIG problems that I find with it.

Why is this game focused around little kids? This game resonates very well with teenagers and adults. I'm not talking about the way the game looks, I'm talking about the restrictions and the E rated language. Even the NPCs have a way of talking to you like a 5th grader. But in terms of game-play, this game is very good.

The big problem I have with this game for me is the chat filter. Why can't I type numbers? Why must the majority of the English language be in red? Why can't players just have a free chat where they can type whatever they want? I mean, if they are talking bad, they should get reported right? I'm sure there are plenty of players willing to report. If parents have a problem, THEN that's where the parental lock should come in. Also, why does this game assume that my parents are paying for this? I just find it annoying that I pay for this game with my own money and the chat filter options are under parental control. Not to mention, I can filter chat off, but I can't have open chat at the same time. That's so bogus. What's even the point???

You guys should really focus on this game being at a teenage level. Younger kids are way more willing to get into a game that's focused on an older age group, than for Teenagers to get into a game that's younger-age focused as younger kids have a way of looking at older kids cooler. This game has the potential to get really, really, really big, but if it's obvious that it's kid-focused, then older kids(the majority of people) won't want to join in.

Also, why are people allowed to jump but not be able to jump on to anything, or over anything, or from/to anything? I mean, it's so pointless. There is no reason to have something in the game like that-that serves no purpose.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
195
ThyHoneynut on Feb 22, 2014 wrote:
I really like this game, but there are some BIG problems that I find with it.

Why is this game focused around little kids? This game resonates very well with teenagers and adults. I'm not talking about the way the game looks, I'm talking about the restrictions and the E rated language. Even the NPCs have a way of talking to you like a 5th grader. But in terms of game-play, this game is very good.

The big problem I have with this game for me is the chat filter. Why can't I type numbers? Why must the majority of the English language be in red? Why can't players just have a free chat where they can type whatever they want? I mean, if they are talking bad, they should get reported right? I'm sure there are plenty of players willing to report. If parents have a problem, THEN that's where the parental lock should come in. Also, why does this game assume that my parents are paying for this? I just find it annoying that I pay for this game with my own money and the chat filter options are under parental control. Not to mention, I can filter chat off, but I can't have open chat at the same time. That's so bogus. What's even the point???

You guys should really focus on this game being at a teenage level. Younger kids are way more willing to get into a game that's focused on an older age group, than for Teenagers to get into a game that's younger-age focused as younger kids have a way of looking at older kids cooler. This game has the potential to get really, really, really big, but if it's obvious that it's kid-focused, then older kids(the majority of people) won't want to join in.

Also, why are people allowed to jump but not be able to jump on to anything, or over anything, or from/to anything? I mean, it's so pointless. There is no reason to have something in the game like that-that serves no purpose.
Alright, this game was originally designed to be family friendly so it's going to have parts, mainly in the early worlds, that treat you like a little kid. Don't get me wrong that irks me as well but I can understand why they did that. The chat filter is placed under parental reasons as... well think about it how many kids are going to tell their parents that they have open chat on? They probably wouldn't even know if it was on or off. According to what Lydia Greyrose told me awhile back, numbers are turned off to prevent children from giving out their age or other sensitive information that could be used against them. As for the reports... well they give specific guidelines on what cannot be reported and unfortunately, simply being rude is not reportable. They would need to be cussing, in the case of filtered chat they'd be getting creative and cussing around the filters, or using sexually or racially offensive language. Now onto your third point, I can see what you're saying. With the majority of young kids that you see on more mature game titles, Call of Duty being an excellent example, you'd think that they'd be drawn into a more teenage game. The issue is the parents of those kids don't actively monitor what the kids are saying or playing and usually are off doing their own thing. Parents who are paying month-by-month are more likely to take an active look at what their children are doing on the game to make sure their money isn't being wasted and if it's obvious the game is above their age-range(at least in the early worlds, later worlds take darker turns), they probably won't want to pay month-by-month for it. Now... as for the jumping I honestly agree with you there. It really serves no purpose and unless they throw in random platforming segments I see no point in having it in there. Toontown, may it rest in peace, had platforming segments that forced you to use the jumping commands but in here there really isn't anything that it can be used for other than aesthetic purposes.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
1309
This game is rated E (for everyone). To keep this rating, they MUST have certain filters as is required by law.

So why not raise the rating you ask? I can guarantee they will lose a lot of business by doing this. Many parents play this game with their children. Those parents DO NOT want their children subjected to the language that would happen if their were no filters.

Numbers...you can use numbers in open chat which is supposed to be for 18+. They filter out the numbers in chat for the younger players because with numbers it would be too easy for the exchange of information that could lead to the exploitation of others. All it would take is one child (and yes teenager) to give information to the wrong sort of person to open up a slew of lawsuits. KI does need to protect themselves.

If you feel the filters are too strong in this game, maybe you should go to a game where you can curse, give out personal information, and exploit others. Frankly, I will stick to a game that is safe for me and children.

Survivor
Sep 15, 2013
22
ThyHoneynut on Feb 22, 2014 wrote:
I really like this game, but there are some BIG problems that I find with it.

Why is this game focused around little kids? This game resonates very well with teenagers and adults. I'm not talking about the way the game looks, I'm talking about the restrictions and the E rated language. Even the NPCs have a way of talking to you like a 5th grader. But in terms of game-play, this game is very good.

The big problem I have with this game for me is the chat filter. Why can't I type numbers? Why must the majority of the English language be in red? Why can't players just have a free chat where they can type whatever they want? I mean, if they are talking bad, they should get reported right? I'm sure there are plenty of players willing to report. If parents have a problem, THEN that's where the parental lock should come in. Also, why does this game assume that my parents are paying for this? I just find it annoying that I pay for this game with my own money and the chat filter options are under parental control. Not to mention, I can filter chat off, but I can't have open chat at the same time. That's so bogus. What's even the point???

You guys should really focus on this game being at a teenage level. Younger kids are way more willing to get into a game that's focused on an older age group, than for Teenagers to get into a game that's younger-age focused as younger kids have a way of looking at older kids cooler. This game has the potential to get really, really, really big, but if it's obvious that it's kid-focused, then older kids(the majority of people) won't want to join in.

Also, why are people allowed to jump but not be able to jump on to anything, or over anything, or from/to anything? I mean, it's so pointless. There is no reason to have something in the game like that-that serves no purpose.
Number's aren't allowed that way you can't give personal information out. Which really is nice. This game is focused on all ages in different ways. In my opinion everything is fine the way it is. It's the best game out there for these reason's.

Delver
Sep 22, 2010
215
First let me say things are in place for a reason .... as with chat it is my belief that being able to give numbers would allow people to give their age .... which I don't think is a good idea to let people know how old you are .... for many reasons .... and this is a family based game and letting people run wild to do what they want will drive people away .... if you wish to have free play to do what you want .. say .... then I would suggest playing something rated higher ....

Thanks For Reading ....

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
3853
Claiming the "the majority of the English language" is in red is a gross exaggeration. Unless your version of English only includes cursing, sex, and violence. Very few everyday words show up in red. A lot more show up yellow which is no issue for people with open chat anyways. The game has a family focus, there is nothing wrong with that. You are very wrong about turning this towards a teenage focus. There are many families who play with children, parents, grandparents and other adult family members. Far more paying family customers than would ever be generated from just a teenage market. No offense to teenagers, but they aren't the best market for this type of game. Teens move on to the newest thing at the drop of a hat. Family and adult players tend to stay for years and keep their memberships.

Survivor
Sep 21, 2013
37
Honestly, I don't really get that feeling from the NPCs talking to you, but maybe that's because I play with the volume off most of the time.
I think the begininning of the storyline is more kid-oriented than when you get farther into the game. Maybe the game started out aiming for little kids, and as they got older players they changed a little.

The chat is filter is annoying, I agree, but they don't want you typing numbers since they don't want anyone sharing their address. I have to say I dissagree with the free chat idea though. Many little kids do play this game, and I don't think they should see the bad things people would say. I've played games with free chat and people are swaring left and right and no one ever even tells them to stop. And trust me, there aren't as many people who'd report as you'd think, since most people are scared to be reported back. (Once in pvp I reported someone on the other team and he reported everyone on my team to get back at me.)

I haven't had any problems with the parental lock, or with open chat, since I don't even have open.



Technically, there's nothing stopping you from using your own money, as long as you have a credit card (and I think they accept debit). And I feel like putting it at a "teenage level" would really ruin the game, since it isn't really that kid oriented. Take one look at Morganthe threatening you and you'll know what I mean.

The jumping thing is a little annoying, but it would be even more so if you couldn't jump in my opinion.

~ Esmee Watertalon, level 47

This moon is a typo it wouldn't let me delete.

Explorer
May 11, 2012
91
Let's take this a question at a time. First, this game is for children 12 and up and is meant to be a FAMILY game, hence the e-rated language (there are many players under the recommended age level). Numbers cannot be typed so that ages and phone numbers cannot be given out (for protection). People cannot type whatever they want, because, unfortunately, a lot of teenagers (and others) think that profanity is cool (it is not) and makes them look important (it doesn't). There is already enough people using profane language and innapropriate topics around the filters without removing the blocks and making the situation worse. Yes, there are plenty of players willing to report, but there are plenty that are unwilling to report, because they want others to think they are cool.

It is good that you are taking responsibility and using your own money to pay for the game, but I believe that the majority of those under eighteen depend on their parents generosity to play the game. The chat filters are under parental control for the simple fact that until a person is eighteen, legally, they are their parents responsibility, and under the law, are still considered children (although may times, people have lied about their age when signing up to get a more open chat option).

Yes, younger children are more willing to get into a game for teenagers, because they are trying to pretend to be more grown up then they are, hence more protection in game is needed, because young children, and teenagers (and even adults) do not always make good decisions. This game is already really big and popular, and was never meant to be something like WOW. There are plenty of other games out there geared to more mature playing options. This game was meant to give those who aren't interested in things like that an option to play a fun multi-player game. And, you cannot jump on anything for the same reason you cannot say anything you want. People would find ways to use that option inappropriately.

Defender
Jun 15, 2013
139
I understand people will curse and insult people nonstop if we could say anything we want or give away personal information but why cant we say first, second, third, ect it won't be cursing or give away personal infomation.

Defender
Jan 27, 2012
195
I agree when you say there are plenty of players ready to report. I always get reported on my pvp char. for winning... srsly. Also, there should be more advanced options under "Chat" on the website. Maybe a less filtered, but not completely open chat. You would be allowed to type numbers, mispelled words, and others ridiculous things that are currently filtered. At the same time though, cussing, and anything close to it would continue to be showed as "..." in the chat bubble. Whoever said the numbers arent displayed because players may give off there age, thank you. That brings me to another huge points that messed up with the game. Players have always, and will always find a way to pass the filter and say something in numbers. Nowadays 10 is tenth, 12 is tenth plus too, people even tell how much gold they have with something like "tree hundred fifth ty too thousand". So if someone wanted to give their age, they could simply say fort teen. KI really needs to think the stuff through before they filter it.

Survivor
Jul 25, 2013
3
Hannah Lifebringer on Feb 22, 2014 wrote:
This game is rated E (for everyone). To keep this rating, they MUST have certain filters as is required by law.

So why not raise the rating you ask? I can guarantee they will lose a lot of business by doing this. Many parents play this game with their children. Those parents DO NOT want their children subjected to the language that would happen if their were no filters.

Numbers...you can use numbers in open chat which is supposed to be for 18+. They filter out the numbers in chat for the younger players because with numbers it would be too easy for the exchange of information that could lead to the exploitation of others. All it would take is one child (and yes teenager) to give information to the wrong sort of person to open up a slew of lawsuits. KI does need to protect themselves.

If you feel the filters are too strong in this game, maybe you should go to a game where you can curse, give out personal information, and exploit others. Frankly, I will stick to a game that is safe for me and children.
This goes for the guy above you as well.

Yeah, not to be rude, but I could care less what this game was intended for which is why I'm stating what things should change. You can still add on these changes, while keeping it "family" oriented. For the parents that are concerned, should still be allowed for foul language or whatever they're sincere about- even numbers to look like "..." as they do now. Numbers are NOT the problem. Instead of blocking the numbers, they should block the questions. However, I don't see the problem in asking people their age as long as you're not being a weirdo about it. I'm 22 years old. It's nice to know that I'm not playing with a 10 year old kid. It's nice to be able to talk to someone who I know is closer to my age about things that I know they'll understand. Plus, sometimes, knowing their age will let me know what I shouldn't talk about. Anyone asking one's address should be reported and suspended/banned as that's a REALLY weird question to ask. There is no good reason to be asking that at all, unless you know this person in real life and they just moved into a new house last week and they want to come over. LOL.

But, yeah. There are a lot of questions/statements where numbers come in handy, not just to ask someone what their level is.

For example:
How long have you been playing this game?
How many different spell classes can I learn?
I need 2 to 3 players to help me do this dungeon, any takers?(Or even)
Looking for 2 more players to party up!
How many Treasure Cards can I trade you?
Or... How many of those TCs do you have?
How much do stone blocks cost? How many deep mushrooms do you need?(Numbers are important
especially if we are talking about trading someone-something.

And many many more.

You are totally wrong about Wizard101 going out of business would it ever decide to change its ratings. The majority of players in every game there is in the world go from 14 and on. Just take a look at Runescape. Still VERY popular, membership price is about the same, and they have more players than this game. The cartoon aspect has nothing to do with why this game is Kid-focused. It's the limiting, the social E-rated box that they put everyone in. It's not even the E rating, I just feel like Barney the dinosaur came up with these ideas. I'm not even saying cussing should be allowed because it shouldn't. But I should be able to type, "Ay what's goin on dog?!?!" (not that I would actually say that) Instead of it coming out as, "..."what's "...." on "...." Players, like myself, have to consciously think about what they're typing, paying attention to the red/white/yellow text. It just becomes VERY annoying

Delver
Jun 17, 2011
214
as many wizards have said already, it is E10+ for a reason. Also only knids 13+ should have text chat and only 18+ have open chat. This is to keep the players from giving out personal info. And you cannot type in certain words because younger players could get offended by them. Also certain words are blocked off because in the past, some players have been using them as "code" words for extremely inappropriate things.

Explorer
Aug 14, 2012
77
ThyHoneynut on Feb 24, 2014 wrote:
This goes for the guy above you as well.

Yeah, not to be rude, but I could care less what this game was intended for which is why I'm stating what things should change. You can still add on these changes, while keeping it "family" oriented. For the parents that are concerned, should still be allowed for foul language or whatever they're sincere about- even numbers to look like "..." as they do now. Numbers are NOT the problem. Instead of blocking the numbers, they should block the questions. However, I don't see the problem in asking people their age as long as you're not being a weirdo about it. I'm 22 years old. It's nice to know that I'm not playing with a 10 year old kid. It's nice to be able to talk to someone who I know is closer to my age about things that I know they'll understand. Plus, sometimes, knowing their age will let me know what I shouldn't talk about. Anyone asking one's address should be reported and suspended/banned as that's a REALLY weird question to ask. There is no good reason to be asking that at all, unless you know this person in real life and they just moved into a new house last week and they want to come over. LOL.

But, yeah. There are a lot of questions/statements where numbers come in handy, not just to ask someone what their level is.

For example:
How long have you been playing this game?
How many different spell classes can I learn?
I need 2 to 3 players to help me do this dungeon, any takers?(Or even)
Looking for 2 more players to party up!
How many Treasure Cards can I trade you?
Or... How many of those TCs do you have?
How much do stone blocks cost? How many deep mushrooms do you need?(Numbers are important
especially if we are talking about trading someone-something.

And many many more.

You are totally wrong about Wizard101 going out of business would it ever decide to change its ratings. The majority of players in every game there is in the world go from 14 and on. Just take a look at Runescape. Still VERY popular, membership price is about the same, and they have more players than this game. The cartoon aspect has nothing to do with why this game is Kid-focused. It's the limiting, the social E-rated box that they put everyone in. It's not even the E rating, I just feel like Barney the dinosaur came up with these ideas. I'm not even saying cussing should be allowed because it shouldn't. But I should be able to type, "Ay what's goin on dog?!?!" (not that I would actually say that) Instead of it coming out as, "..."what's "...." on "...." Players, like myself, have to consciously think about what they're typing, paying attention to the red/white/yellow text. It just becomes VERY annoying
About the "consciuosly thinking about what you're typing" issue. Not to be rude, but....it's really not that hard to think things out. You can find a way to say pretty much whatever you want; honestly, there's a way around much of the chat filter. And don't anyone go accusing me of encouraging that; I'm just stating the obvious. If KI filtered out all of the words used together that I'm seeing nowadays, nobody would be able to type a full and comprehensible sentence. I think honestly, what's best for you to do, is if you really have this many problems with the game, don't play. And if you're too into it to do that, then obviously it's too important to you and you'll just have to overlook the flaws.

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2915
ThyHoneynut on Feb 22, 2014 wrote:
I really like this game, but there are some BIG problems that I find with it.

Why is this game focused around little kids? This game resonates very well with teenagers and adults. I'm not talking about the way the game looks, I'm talking about the restrictions and the E rated language. Even the NPCs have a way of talking to you like a 5th grader. But in terms of game-play, this game is very good.

The big problem I have with this game for me is the chat filter. Why can't I type numbers? Why must the majority of the English language be in red? Why can't players just have a free chat where they can type whatever they want? I mean, if they are talking bad, they should get reported right? I'm sure there are plenty of players willing to report. If parents have a problem, THEN that's where the parental lock should come in. Also, why does this game assume that my parents are paying for this? I just find it annoying that I pay for this game with my own money and the chat filter options are under parental control. Not to mention, I can filter chat off, but I can't have open chat at the same time. That's so bogus. What's even the point???

You guys should really focus on this game being at a teenage level. Younger kids are way more willing to get into a game that's focused on an older age group, than for Teenagers to get into a game that's younger-age focused as younger kids have a way of looking at older kids cooler. This game has the potential to get really, really, really big, but if it's obvious that it's kid-focused, then older kids(the majority of people) won't want to join in.

Also, why are people allowed to jump but not be able to jump on to anything, or over anything, or from/to anything? I mean, it's so pointless. There is no reason to have something in the game like that-that serves no purpose.
In order:

#1: because it's a family game with an e10 rating;

I agree that some of the restrictions (in terms of chat) are a bit silly; I'm a single adult with no kids, with no filter, who is vehemently opposed to censorship/political correctness. But the rules are in place for a reason, and I respect them accordingly... It's KI's turf, ergo I must follow their rules.

If you want that sort of language and behavior, there are plenty of other options. I have open chat, and I love it; it lets me type freely to my fellow adult players. I see nothing wrong with using numbers in a context appropriate to the game: level, stats, etc.

Whenever someone asks my age, I tell them 'over 18 but under 30'. No one needs to know that info, except for those I choose to share it with,

#2: because your vocabulary likely consists of profanity or adult language.

Correct me if I'm wrong... But, if your chat always shows up in red, then the problem is your language, not the game.

#3: because it's an e10 game.

Yes, kids always want to appear more mature than they really are. But Autumn Rain is exactly right~ this often means that the child engages in behaviour that is inappropriate for her age, hence the need for stricter monitoring.

Kids are not teenagers or mini-adults; they don't know what's right or wrong unless they are told and, sadly, most parents have no idea what their little angels are doing online 90 percent of the time. Hence the importance of keeping all in-game activities age-appropriate.

#4: because of the potential for abuse.

See above. In fact, numerous people already abuse most of the emotes; only imagine what they would do if we could interact with stuff at the same time. They exist for fun only... this is a game, and games should be fun. Right?

-von
20something wizard, promethean x3 currently on hiatus

Survivor
May 20, 2010
4
I won't repeat what has been well covered as responses to the initial complaint, but I will add this:

My youngest son became completely fascinated with this game when he was introduced to it by his classmate (NOT, please not, by a teenager). He was only in about 3rd grade. I created an account for myself and played through the free portion of the game before I allowed him to play. I can tell you that if there had been no chat filter, my 8-year-old would never have been allowed to play. Especially since comments are visible to the general area, not only the person you're addressing (unless you use friend chat). Not everyone is careful.

..."Yeah, not to be rude, but I could care less what this game was intended for which is why I'm stating what things should change." ...

Not to be rude, really? It sounds extremely self-centered.

Wizard 101 addressed a very distinct need - a safe environment for all those younger players out there. There are countless options for teenagers and adults. This is the first really well-designed game I have ever seen that is family-friendly and age-appropriate for elementary-school kids, who feel very grown-up when they get to play a "real" game. What you appear to be saying is that you want to be able to use slang (I'm going off the "Ay, what's goin on dog?" reference) and you want open chat. If those are the worst things you can come up with, it's really not that big a deal. There are tons of kids between ages 8 & 10 at our grade school who play this game. No, KI probably would not go bankrupt, but they would definitely lose a large portion of their market. Which makes no financial sense. I guarantee you, they will not be changing this anytime soon, and I'm grateful for it. The small annoyances (no numbers) I am happy to put up with to keep my kids safe.

Explorer
Jan 06, 2009
88
Your wizard is a kid. So, NPCs treat you like one. The game's target audience is children. They advertise on Cartoon Network and not on the more adult stations. The one time they did aim ads at adults, it was about playing the game with your children. You picked a kid's game to play. You either roll with it or find something more adult, I guess.

Survivor
Sep 21, 2013
37
Wizard101 is amazing, and if it annoys you just play something else.

Defender
Jun 15, 2013
139
skull98oo on Feb 24, 2014 wrote:
I understand people will curse and insult people nonstop if we could say anything we want or give away personal information but why cant we say first, second, third, ect it won't be cursing or give away personal infomation.
sorry this messsage was a typo i meant numbers like twenty-three forty-five ect

Survivor
Jul 25, 2013
3
MoonsingerMom on Feb 25, 2014 wrote:
I won't repeat what has been well covered as responses to the initial complaint, but I will add this:

My youngest son became completely fascinated with this game when he was introduced to it by his classmate (NOT, please not, by a teenager). He was only in about 3rd grade. I created an account for myself and played through the free portion of the game before I allowed him to play. I can tell you that if there had been no chat filter, my 8-year-old would never have been allowed to play. Especially since comments are visible to the general area, not only the person you're addressing (unless you use friend chat). Not everyone is careful.

..."Yeah, not to be rude, but I could care less what this game was intended for which is why I'm stating what things should change." ...

Not to be rude, really? It sounds extremely self-centered.

Wizard 101 addressed a very distinct need - a safe environment for all those younger players out there. There are countless options for teenagers and adults. This is the first really well-designed game I have ever seen that is family-friendly and age-appropriate for elementary-school kids, who feel very grown-up when they get to play a "real" game. What you appear to be saying is that you want to be able to use slang (I'm going off the "Ay, what's goin on dog?" reference) and you want open chat. If those are the worst things you can come up with, it's really not that big a deal. There are tons of kids between ages 8 & 10 at our grade school who play this game. No, KI probably would not go bankrupt, but they would definitely lose a large portion of their market. Which makes no financial sense. I guarantee you, they will not be changing this anytime soon, and I'm grateful for it. The small annoyances (no numbers) I am happy to put up with to keep my kids safe.
Like I said, I don't care what this game was intended for, which is in response to the fact that it's an "e rated" game. If you read what I was saying, your kid would still be able to have the filter due to your parental guidance. Over all, I just think it's stupid to have all these rules for less than 5% of gamers in the world. An article I read on Wizard 101, said that yes, this game is very kid focused, but they had hoped older people would play too, which "resonates very well with the older kids too!"

I don't know where you are getting this idea that they would lose a HUGE portion of their market. Yeah, probably at first, but if older kids started to get into it, then they would recover-plus.

More than half to 75% of my words are in yellow, which I can't even tell if someone's a member or not. I have to constantly ask people if they have open chat, so I don't have to think about every dang thing I wanna say. When you talk to people you don't have to put much thought in what you're saying, it just comes out. But I have to think about what I'm going to say a lot, especially if I'm trying to communicate effectively.

You know kids that play that are ages 8 to 10?? woah woah woah now. It strictly says kids 10 and up. What are those 8 and 9 year olds thinking? Please ban them immediately. They are too young to be playing this game bro. You know about this and don't say anything? Come on bro, follow the rules. It strictly says ages 10 and UP. Those kids will now be scarred for life. Those 8 and 9 year olds are obviously too young to handle the maturity for this age 10 game.

Honestly, I don't expect them to change anything for me, but I can't be the only one who feels this way. You wanna know why you won't find anyone else posting about this? Because you have to pay for a membership to post ANYTHING first, which is just dumb to me. Or in this case, "which is just '...' to me. "

Look, bottom line is...I love this game. I love the game-play. The turn based fighting- very final fantasy mirrored. It's all good. It's the fact that I feel so socially boxed in when I am trying to trade something, or anything to do with numbers. Nobody can answer me without sounding stupid. This kid tried telling me he was "24" except he said, "too for" which I guess is 24? Why should we have to communicate like this? I just don't know why the social part has to be boxed in. And honestly, if it's cuss words that youre trying to hide your kid from, what are you going to do when he gets to middle school and high school? What are you going to do when he starts hearing it on a daily basis?

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2915
ThyHoneynut on Feb 26, 2014 wrote:
Like I said, I don't care what this game was intended for, which is in response to the fact that it's an "e rated" game. If you read what I was saying, your kid would still be able to have the filter due to your parental guidance. Over all, I just think it's stupid to have all these rules for less than 5% of gamers in the world. An article I read on Wizard 101, said that yes, this game is very kid focused, but they had hoped older people would play too, which "resonates very well with the older kids too!"

I don't know where you are getting this idea that they would lose a HUGE portion of their market. Yeah, probably at first, but if older kids started to get into it, then they would recover-plus.

More than half to 75% of my words are in yellow, which I can't even tell if someone's a member or not. I have to constantly ask people if they have open chat, so I don't have to think about every dang thing I wanna say. When you talk to people you don't have to put much thought in what you're saying, it just comes out. But I have to think about what I'm going to say a lot, especially if I'm trying to communicate effectively.

You know kids that play that are ages 8 to 10?? woah woah woah now. It strictly says kids 10 and up. What are those 8 and 9 year olds thinking? Please ban them immediately. They are too young to be playing this game bro. You know about this and don't say anything? Come on bro, follow the rules. It strictly says ages 10 and UP. Those kids will now be scarred for life. Those 8 and 9 year olds are obviously too young to handle the maturity for this age 10 game.

Honestly, I don't expect them to change anything for me, but I can't be the only one who feels this way. You wanna know why you won't find anyone else posting about this? Because you have to pay for a membership to post ANYTHING first, which is just dumb to me. Or in this case, "which is just '...' to me. "

Look, bottom line is...I love this game. I love the game-play. The turn based fighting- very final fantasy mirrored. It's all good. It's the fact that I feel so socially boxed in when I am trying to trade something, or anything to do with numbers. Nobody can answer me without sounding stupid. This kid tried telling me he was "24" except he said, "too for" which I guess is 24? Why should we have to communicate like this? I just don't know why the social part has to be boxed in. And honestly, if it's cuss words that youre trying to hide your kid from, what are you going to do when he gets to middle school and high school? What are you going to do when he starts hearing it on a daily basis?
To know what chat privileges someone has, just look beside the wizard's name:

Bubble with red circle/slash: menu-chat (under 13 or muted players)
Plain white bubble: filtered chat
No bubble at all: open chat

Fact is, all children will reach a point where they will hear and use profane language on a daily basis. But, as I mentioned, kids are not teenagers or mini-adults: they are not at that stage yet, and I don't blame parents for wanting to preserve their little ones' innocence (since they grow up much faster now than we did when we were kids).

Most of my in-game friends are at least 10 years older or younger than me; some of the girls do play with their families, and those of us who don't are respectful of it. My friend's 4 year-old daughter sometimes plays the game with me; yes, she has menu chat, and I made sure that her mom knew how the filters worked before I even made the account; I made myself learn how to use menu chat so I can talk to her in-game.

The inability to say numbers is to prevent young children from giving personal info to sick people who look to do them harm. That's not to say it's a common thing (at least I hope it isn't), but better to have the protection in place and not need it than the other way around.

-

As a child, Dr. Von was quite sheltered by her well-meaning parents; in her adult life, she talks like a trucker and drops more f-bombs than an F16. But that word indicates displeasure, which is all fine and well when pertaining to her crappy job but has no relevance when playing a game that's supposed to be fun; therefore, she does not talk that way in-game, in order to prevent eyeball melting the Spiral over.

-v.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
3853
ThyHoneynut on Feb 26, 2014 wrote:
Like I said, I don't care what this game was intended for, which is in response to the fact that it's an "e rated" game. If you read what I was saying, your kid would still be able to have the filter due to your parental guidance. Over all, I just think it's stupid to have all these rules for less than 5% of gamers in the world. An article I read on Wizard 101, said that yes, this game is very kid focused, but they had hoped older people would play too, which "resonates very well with the older kids too!"

I don't know where you are getting this idea that they would lose a HUGE portion of their market. Yeah, probably at first, but if older kids started to get into it, then they would recover-plus.

More than half to 75% of my words are in yellow, which I can't even tell if someone's a member or not. I have to constantly ask people if they have open chat, so I don't have to think about every dang thing I wanna say. When you talk to people you don't have to put much thought in what you're saying, it just comes out. But I have to think about what I'm going to say a lot, especially if I'm trying to communicate effectively.

You know kids that play that are ages 8 to 10?? woah woah woah now. It strictly says kids 10 and up. What are those 8 and 9 year olds thinking? Please ban them immediately. They are too young to be playing this game bro. You know about this and don't say anything? Come on bro, follow the rules. It strictly says ages 10 and UP. Those kids will now be scarred for life. Those 8 and 9 year olds are obviously too young to handle the maturity for this age 10 game.

Honestly, I don't expect them to change anything for me, but I can't be the only one who feels this way. You wanna know why you won't find anyone else posting about this? Because you have to pay for a membership to post ANYTHING first, which is just dumb to me. Or in this case, "which is just '...' to me. "

Look, bottom line is...I love this game. I love the game-play. The turn based fighting- very final fantasy mirrored. It's all good. It's the fact that I feel so socially boxed in when I am trying to trade something, or anything to do with numbers. Nobody can answer me without sounding stupid. This kid tried telling me he was "24" except he said, "too for" which I guess is 24? Why should we have to communicate like this? I just don't know why the social part has to be boxed in. And honestly, if it's cuss words that youre trying to hide your kid from, what are you going to do when he gets to middle school and high school? What are you going to do when he starts hearing it on a daily basis?
"More than half to 75% of my words are in yellow"

That is the problem you are having. YOUR language skills are the problem. If you have that many words being filtered, YOU have an issue, not the game.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
seethe42 on Feb 26, 2014 wrote:
"More than half to 75% of my words are in yellow"

That is the problem you are having. YOUR language skills are the problem. If you have that many words being filtered, YOU have an issue, not the game.
Well said seethe42!

And to the OP: As seethe42 said, and as even you said in the title of this thread: You have a problem with the game, to quote: "I have a big problem..." The problem is yours. The problem is not with the game. The problem is that you don't want to accept the game for what it is and what it clearly stated it is.

This game is very up-front about what it is and who it is for. It is a family friendly game for ages 10 and up. You knew that when you signed up. There are lots of other games out there that are aimed at a different audience. What makes this game special, is exactly what the game is. KI has done a great job, they made a great game. They have also done a good job of keeping kids relatively safe in an online environment, and in creating a social environment that can indeed be family friendly. As a parent of a young child who plays, I am very glad for this good, safe environment. And from what others I have encountered both here in the boards and also in-game, I think most players of the game understand and appreciate what the game in fact is.

At times, the filters can be an annoyance -- but not half as annoying as the few players who abuse the chat system to say rude things around the filters or to bully others. Even with the system as it is, there are too many rude and inappropriate people who show up. Without the filters, there is just too much room for abusing other players, many of whom are too young to handle such abuse. There would also be openings for online predators and creeps to have a field day.

So, really, step beyond your own individual "problem" and try to see the bigger social implications of what a family friendly game is and the kinds of safety concerns that it has to have in order to function.