Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hydra Spell Question

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 20, 2010
I want to get this really good Storm + Balance Set but I'm not really sure if its a good idea. It gives a lot of bonus spell attack, both to Storm (my school) and Balance (secondary school) but it gives more to balance (only a little).
But as Balance is my secondary school, I don't get much damage spells. And the ones I get have poor attack. Treasure cards are an option, but the best spell I can get through Training Points is Hydra. As most of you know, Hydra does 190 Fire damage, 190 Ice, and 190 Storm Damage.
Here comes the question:
I get about +74% attack in Balance and +60% attack in Storm. If I would cast Hydra, would it do +74% more damage to Fire, +74% more damage to Ice, and +74% more damage to Storm? Or just +74% to the whole attack that usually deals 570 damage? Or it doesn't even add the bonus? And for the Storm one, does it add the +74%? I would like a Professor to reply.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2010
I know I'm not a professor, but I do have a Master Balance student in my many wizards, and I can tell you from experience, the answer is...

no, your 74% balance has no effect on "elemental" balance spells. It's sad :(

If the attack card specifically says that the attack is going to do damage from a different school (like hydra does), then balance boosts from gear don't affect it. Balance boosts only affect balance damage. Same goes for defenses from gear.

Now, as I'm sure you're aware, balance blades and curse traps are universal and will affect every school's damage. I can see where that might get you confused. :P

You will, however, receive your 60% storm boost for storm hydra for ~304 storm damage and (along with 190 ice and 190 fire) total damage of ~684.

Hope I was able to help! :D

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
FireBruno wrote:
I want to get this really good Storm + Balance Set but I'm not really sure if its a good idea. It gives a lot of bonus spell attack, both to Storm (my school) and Balance (secondary school) but it gives more to balance (only a little).
But as Balance is my secondary school, I don't get much damage spells. And the ones I get have poor attack. Treasure cards are an option, but the best spell I can get through Training Points is Hydra. As most of you know, Hydra does 190 Fire damage, 190 Ice, and 190 Storm Damage.
Here comes the question:
I get about +74% attack in Balance and +60% attack in Storm. If I would cast Hydra, would it do +74% more damage to Fire, +74% more damage to Ice, and +74% more damage to Storm? Or just +74% to the whole attack that usually deals 570 damage? Or it doesn't even add the bonus? And for the Storm one, does it add the +74%? I would like a Professor to reply.

The Balance bonus from gear will raise the overall attack of Hydra, however, I personally don't know if the storm bonus adds in addition (the 60% extra). That's a good question. I do know your storm only charms and traps will raise the amount of the storm portion of Hydra so there is a possibility that the storm bonus may kick in too (since the computer selects all elemental boosts for Hydra and not just balance boosts).

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2009
Survivor
Sep 20, 2010
Thank you. That means the set is, sadly, kinda useless, as the strongest spells that does damage and you can learn with Training Points are Locust Swarm for attacking a single target and Sandstorm for attacking multiple targets.
Still, there a Treasure Cards for strong Balance Spells but most of them are in Booster Packs at the Crown shop and are most likely rare or ultra rare such as Jade Oni and Judgement. The only good two Balance Treasure Cards you can get at any school are Krokotilian from creatures in Krokotopia and Power Nova from harvesting a Fiery Boomshroom. Also, a very good treasure card is a Star School Treasure Card, Vengeance, which you can get from many creatures in Celestia and you even get one by completing a specific Celestian Quest.
Also, I am wondering why are there only Balance spells and Elemental spells in the Balance school. Why aren't there some Spirit spells?

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
i had the same question, so i tested it out. my balance guy has +17% to balance damage but only +8% to storm. when i cast hydra with no blades or traps, each head did 222 points of damage. that is 190x1.17 (+17%), meaning the balance damage bonus is what was added. nothing additional from my storm bonus, though. so i would recommend the gear. enjoy! -corwin sandstalker, master sorcerer

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
psychic987 wrote:

no, your 74% balance has no effect on "elemental" balance spells. It's sad :(

If the attack card specifically says that the attack is going to do damage from a different school (like hydra does), then balance boosts from gear don't affect it. Balance boosts only affect balance damage. Same goes for defenses from gear.

I may be wrong here, but here are my reasons that Hydra is boosted by Balance gear. I have a Legendary Balance Wizard with the following gear...

Moon Cover
United Longcoat
United Footwear
Insightful Spyglass
Celestian Sliver of Power
Vial of the Sun
Striking Celestian Signet
Spiritual Dragon

None of that boosts any elemental damage, except critical chances. It does boost Balance damage up to 54%. Every time I cast Hydra, the damage is 292 for each elemental head. That is 102 extra damage each time and I assume that is coming from the 54% damage boost. Again, because I don't have storm boosting gear, I can't verify if the storm portion would be boosted, but I assume so, given how the computer acts with charms and traps.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
FireBruno wrote:
Thank you. That means the set is, sadly, kinda useless, as the strongest spells that does damage and you can learn with Training Points are Locust Swarm for attacking a single target and Sandstorm for attacking multiple targets.
Still, there a Treasure Cards for strong Balance Spells but most of them are in Booster Packs at the Crown shop and are most likely rare or ultra rare such as Jade Oni and Judgement. The only good two Balance Treasure Cards you can get at any school are Krokotilian from creatures in Krokotopia and Power Nova from harvesting a Fiery Boomshroom. Also, a very good treasure card is a Star School Treasure Card, Vengeance, which you can get from many creatures in Celestia and you even get one by completing a specific Celestian Quest.
Also, I am wondering why are there only Balance spells and Elemental spells in the Balance school. Why aren't there some Spirit spells?

If you intend to use Balance spells as your secondary, that gear is not useless, but it may not offer enough to justify giving up Storm boosts, your call. All Balance spells will be boosted.

Just because some Balance spells are not offered from trainers to purchase with training points, doesn't mean you can't use them as a storm wizard. An item (I believe a hat or robe) from the Crowns shop even offers Judgment!!

Many Balance wizards have asked for Spirit based spells, but I can only speculate that KI limits those spells from Balance wizards as an additional weakness for the class. Only time will tell in the future!