Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hpw does the Jewels Work?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 28, 2010
I am still confuse on all this, even I have equip my 2 storm defends jewel equivalent to 75% and my own wizard defense of 59% from robes, pets, and athame, doesn't it get me to immune to storm hits? Why am i still getting the hit? What about damage jewels? DO they really work? i have 84% Balance Damage, if i am going to add in my damage citrine of 16%, does it get me to do 100% balance damage?

Autumn Legendflower Level 100

Administrator
Hello,

Look closely at the stats listed on the Jewels and on your character sheet. The damage and defense Jewels give a numerical amount, not a percentage.

community@wizard101.com
Explorer
Apr 21, 2011
Professor Greyrose on May 1, 2015 wrote:
Hello,

Look closely at the stats listed on the Jewels and on your character sheet. The damage and defense Jewels give a numerical amount, not a percentage.
ok but how, what does it add up to?
if I have 50 percent damage from my gear and 10 damage from jewels what does that add up to?

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
gorman moonweaver on May 1, 2015 wrote:
ok but how, what does it add up to?
if I have 50 percent damage from my gear and 10 damage from jewels what does that add up to?
Say your spell does 200 damage. There's the 50% damage and the 10 flat damage. 50% of 200 is 100, so that makes it 300 damage. Then add the flat value. 310.

Please. They don't add up to anything, they're separate values and can't be combined.

Explorer
Apr 21, 2011
lewski on May 1, 2015 wrote:
Say your spell does 200 damage. There's the 50% damage and the 10 flat damage. 50% of 200 is 100, so that makes it 300 damage. Then add the flat value. 310.

Please. They don't add up to anything, they're separate values and can't be combined.
ok good what about the resist? if I have 50 percent resist plus the 10 jewel resist what is that?

Explorer
Apr 21, 2011
Survivor
Oct 20, 2011
Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
gorman moonweaver on May 1, 2015 wrote:
their damage to me would be 90?
Yes.

Survivor
Nov 08, 2010
hi there can someone in the wizard101 explain on how the defenses works...i got 78 life defense and not sure what it suppose to do...some say it not worth having defense and if so then someone needs to put a list to explain on all the jewl items and what they do...

noah goldheart

so for the simply way i have 42 life resist and 78 defense life and get hit by a life boss who has a gnome what would the damage be on defense and resist..

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
noahgoldheart on May 31, 2015 wrote:
hi there can someone in the wizard101 explain on how the defenses works...i got 78 life defense and not sure what it suppose to do...some say it not worth having defense and if so then someone needs to put a list to explain on all the jewl items and what they do...

noah goldheart

so for the simply way i have 42 life resist and 78 defense life and get hit by a life boss who has a gnome what would the damage be on defense and resist..
Just for simple explanation lets say an attack does 1000 damage and there are nothing increasing the damage and you have lets say 100 defense from a jewel.

First you factor in your resist (lets just say you have 50% resist) so now its 500, then subtract your defense total (100) from the damage after all resist/shields so in this case the damage is 400.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
For your attacks:

(your spell X damage% + jewels) X buffs

for attacks on you:

(incoming damage - jewels) X (1-resist%)

So If you have 50% damage boost and +40 from jewels, and your attack is for 500 with a 30% blade

500 x 1.5 = 750
750 + 40 = 790
790 x 1.3 = 1027

If you have 40% resist, -40 from jewels, and are attacked with 600 damage:

600 - 40 = 560
560 x.6 = 336

If a critical is landed, simply double the 'bottom line' damage amount.

As you see. jewels aren't a huge deal, but you can have several and they defiantly add up.
I think I'll post a guide to using jewels later today and will link here since this question comes up a lot.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
noahgoldheart on May 31, 2015 wrote:

noah goldheart

In your example, let's assume Gnomes is coming at you for 820 damage.

Jewels take off 78

820-78=742

742 remaining damage is reduced by 42%. 742 x .42 = 312

742 - 312 = 430

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Rachel Dreamsong on Jun 1, 2015 wrote:
Just for simple explanation lets say an attack does 1000 damage and there are nothing increasing the damage and you have lets say 100 defense from a jewel.

First you factor in your resist (lets just say you have 50% resist) so now its 500, then subtract your defense total (100) from the damage after all resist/shields so in this case the damage is 400.
That would make sense, but it's not what happens.

The jewel acts as a fixed absorb, so your 1000 gets reduced by 100 first, then by 50%

900 x .5 = 450

Defender
Sep 29, 2008
shouldn't the defense jewels then also negate some of the piercing since they should be applying first on the stack otherwise its a really useless mechanic to have added for a level 100 to only be reducing 22 damage a defnse jewel maximum plus piercing does need a counter its been out of hand for a long time now and has caused many players to quit already as well as added another reason for people to not want to go past level 50 in general. Greyrose can you please explain this to me cause it just doesnt make sense at all?

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Rikudo Sennin on Jun 1, 2015 wrote:
shouldn't the defense jewels then also negate some of the piercing since they should be applying first on the stack otherwise its a really useless mechanic to have added for a level 100 to only be reducing 22 damage a defnse jewel maximum plus piercing does need a counter its been out of hand for a long time now and has caused many players to quit already as well as added another reason for people to not want to go past level 50 in general. Greyrose can you please explain this to me cause it just doesnt make sense at all?
Defense jewels don't affect resist or pierce. They simply subtract that amount from incoming damage.

The counters for pierce are resist, shields, fortify or simply adding more health. Pierce was increased over the past year or two to counter "out of hand" resists. The pendulum swings eh?

Defender
Sep 29, 2008
im saying that this new system should be the counter to pierce since it doesnt make sense that piercing is the only thing wihout a counter and shields dont really counter pierce cause burns defeat the point of them shield also i wouldnt say the resists were out of control to begin with they were just high but since piercing came out its completely destroyed the point of ice school and honestly its not fair when piercing came oout it should have stayed at low amount because piercing more than 50 was never ever necessary and it takes away all the resist from a regular build and leaves a jade with like 20 percent or less when the person using the piercing already has it on their gear to begin with making it above 50 with shadow strike added not to mention infallible's 15-20 now and the 10 piercing blade from strike assuming the person has at least 10 on gear all together thats 85-90 piercing in the game and it completely offsets the point of earing your win or even having skill cause now all anyone does is strike have a pet with mc infall crit on you with over 530-600 piercing where the highest block you can get without sacrificing too much is around 330-350 and pierces completely through your towershield and you like nothing as they spamm attacks over and over again without even needing to think. #FixThisMetaAlready. You claim defense is out of hand but yet attack power can be over 100 crits can occur every time you cant miss normally piercing can easily go over 100 with hardly trying all on the same build but yet you get mad when defense goes to like 70 percent or a bit higher making a match slightly longer all i have to say is when did this game change from earing your win to having a really bad mechanic with absolutely no counter which every game has a counter to a mechanic except for this game now. those crystals should stop piercing so its at least a struggle to win like it was INTENDED to be plus piercing over 100 is not necessary and never was.