Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How to go first in battles

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
Hi. I have a storm wizard, level 39. I run into trouble with battles against 3 opponents: boss and two minions, when I don't go first. I have tried various strategies to ensure going first in the battle: approach the boss first, approach a minion first, approach from behind, approach from the front, and so on. Is there any rhyme or reason as to how to get to be the first one to cast a spell in a battle? I know there are bosses I was able to beat, but only when I tried enough times to finally go first.

Thanks.
Eric Skywraith

Historian
May 28, 2009
There are no way of being sure to go first. When you do go first, it doesn't mean you will be invincible.
Since you are storm, you should be able to use Tempest. I will suggest setting up a deck that is nicely appropriate for each fight.

If the boss you must fight is the school of fire, you should have Thermic shields set up in your deck. I will suggest buffing yourself with blades and then use Tempest to get rid of minions then finish boss with kraken.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Excellent question. The team that gets to go first does get a significant advantage. Unfortunately I believe there is no way to influence which team gets to go first.

Perhaps someday a new spell will get introduced (say two pips maybe) that changes who gets to go first. If multiple wizards cast this in a round then it flips accordingly.

Another fun spell would be a swap position spell, where you get to swap with a team mate.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
Thank you.

I may have stumbled upon part of your strategy along the way. You fleshed it out for me, for sure.

My big problems are in Grizzleheim against Storm bosses with two minions. If I go last, I can lose 700 hit points in one turn. I only have 1243 hit points at this time (I have tried to equip to optimize accuracy, hit points, and bonus health). That's why going first is such a big deal, at least against a Storm boss and 2 I am currently working through Mooshu where the Storm bosses aren't so bad. I will return to Grizzelheim after I level up to 42.

Thanks again.