Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hope KI Will End Bought/Dropped Spells

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
I realize the cat is out of the bag, and that these new spells--which can now be gotten from the Ninja Lore pack or from drops--will not be taken out of the game. But I sincerely hope that after this, the game will return to the old way of learning spells--from school teachers/trainers, or from quests at appropriate levels. I really feel that making high-damage spells available to any level player is a bad move. I feel that making kids fight certain bosses 300 times (yeah, it's happened, according to people on Central) to get a dropped spell is really wrecking the narrative aspect of the game--and the mindless repetition of it doesn't appeal to me at all as a parent, or a player. I have recently lost a good game friend because he is very uncomfortable with the direction the game seems to be taking, and I see his point.

I would like to stay, but if this is the "wave of the future," I probably won't. The old ways were better. Please, no more dropped or bought spells. I really like this game, but it's getting harder to justify playing it in light of these new--and to my mind, ill-conceived--changes.

Respectfully,

Tabitha

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
I see nothing wrong with it. The dropped spells are certainly not needed to finish the game. Why not reward some hard farming work with a chance to get a rare spell?Either way it's not a game-changer for me. I see plenty of other areas in game of far more pressing concerns,but that is just my humble opinion.

Community Leader
I actually like that KI has allowed the spells to be dropped. Farming as with anything you want takes time. From the holiday and gear drops to these new spell drops. As far as the strength of these spells the goat monk is no higher than centaur. I personally cannot wait to see new spells for each school to drop. It would only be right for each school to have one in this style. My life/myth wizard has still not gotten the goat monk spell, I will continue until she does. :)

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
I think I totally agree. I took the tease and farmed for the Pig spell to only waste hours of my time slogging away at it and coming away with nothing but a backpack full of useless stuff I have to trash while others brag they got it first try. I don't intend on spending crowns for the chance of getting a spell, it just seems out of place for me and I know enough people wasted crowns on it to make it worth KI's bother.

I too believe too much of the game is turning into a chance to get. I plan on sticking with the sure things from now on, it's less disappointing that way. I was lucky enough to have the hat that had the ninja spell on it so I had one to tease me until I had to get better gear and lost it. It was used regular though DragonSprye and I miss it. As much as I really would like this spell over my two part bull I guess I am stuck with him.

Champion
May 03, 2011
It certainly may be that mine is a minority opinion. Many people have more tolerance for repetition than I do. I am probably not the usual player, either--this is the very first game I have ever played. My husband and son play games--console games, strategy games, and some other MMORPGs-- lately LOTR Online is a favorite of theirs. I never played any because, while some of the animations of these games are really impressive, they all seemed to lack what I am mostly looking for in entertainment--story.

Until W101. I came to the game by accident; my son had a mildly unpleasant experience with some other players, and was kind of upset, so I volunteered to make the supreme sacrifice and play with him for a week or so. I didn't anticipate even liking the game, much less loving it. But the animations were great, and, most of all, the game had stories! Real storylines you could follow and get invested in. You could save the Manders, or the Drakes. Make the Gobbler King understand the meaning of peaceful coexistence with another species. And it was funny. I loved summoning new spells, too--I have a screenshot of every summoning I've done since the beginning.

Since Zafaria, however, the story aspect of the game has been waning, and the grinding/repetition increasing. It's become more like all the other games I was never interested in playing. And the dropped spells--well, I'm not interested in farming for spells. Not a bit. I have crafted gear because doing WW 50 times didn't appeal to me. I was happy to have to chance to get good gear another way, and I kind of like the Zen of reagent hunting.

So for the people who already like games, this new development is probably fine. But for people like me, not so much. Humans are a storytelling species. We love narrative. And when I first started playing, for the very first time I saw the potential of games to tell stories, to engage the imagination in ways similar (but not identical) to the ways books do. So guess my point is, dropped spells probably won't chase away the people who love to game anyway. But I do think it will inhibit bringing new gamers into the fold. People who usually read, or see movies. People who love stories. And that's kind of sad--but on the positive side, KI did show that it can be done. Maybe it will be up to another game to take it to the next level. Or maybe this dropped spell business will just be a little glitch, and things will move forward in new, narrative-focused ways in the future. I hope so. Because there's still a lot to like about this game.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
People always complain, if not about one thing, it's about another.

KI is a business and to run that business and keep it going and expanding, it takes money. While some people may not like some things KI does, others do.

If you don't want to farm, don't.
If you don't want to spend crowns, don't.
If you don't like the game, don't play it.

We are all given choices, but to demand taking those choices away, is taking away what business and freedom is all about.

Defender
Dec 31, 2011
tabby714 wrote:
I realize the cat is out of the bag, and that these new spells--which can now be gotten from the Ninja Lore pack or from drops--will not be taken out of the game. But I sincerely hope that after this, the game will return to the old way of learning spells--from school teachers/trainers, or from quests at appropriate levels. I really feel that making high-damage spells available to any level player is a bad move. I feel that making kids fight certain bosses 300 times (yeah, it's happened, according to people on Central) to get a dropped spell is really wrecking the narrative aspect of the game--and the mindless repetition of it doesn't appeal to me at all as a parent, or a player. I have recently lost a good game friend because he is very uncomfortable with the direction the game seems to be taking, and I see his point.

I would like to stay, but if this is the "wave of the future," I probably won't. The old ways were better. Please, no more dropped or bought spells. I really like this game, but it's getting harder to justify playing it in light of these new--and to my mind, ill-conceived--changes.

Respectfully,

Tabitha

You got a point but I still think KI should release new spells for all schools.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Paige MoonShade wrote:
I actually like that KI has allowed the spells to be dropped. Farming as with anything you want takes time. From the holiday and gear drops to these new spell drops. As far as the strength of these spells the goat monk is no higher than centaur. I personally cannot wait to see new spells for each school to drop. It would only be right for each school to have one in this style. My life/myth wizard has still not gotten the goat monk spell, I will continue until she does. :)
I agree. The dropped spells are a great idea. I don't see the unfairness in winning a spell in combat as supposed to buying it. Buying it tips the balance in favor the spenders, but anyone can farm for a spell.

Explorer
Jun 09, 2010
I don't mind farming for stuff in game, I just don't think it should be for spells. I sincerely hope this is not the way to get future trained school spells.

Defender
May 29, 2011
I think the dropped spells are ok, for now. Hopefully they will be the only dropped spells.

I'd rather like dropped training points then dropped spells.

Anyone agree?

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
I too love the story line of Wizard101, because the quest has always been the draw for me. The need to see things being accomplished, the success of achieving those goals made working my way through a positive experience that I have yet to tire of.

I was very disappointed in the for sale spells, but I find I don't mind the dropped ones at all. It is still an achievement that I have to work for and can pat myself on the back for when I get it. True, I hate farming endlessly. But it is a choice I make whether or not to farm for them. Just as Gtarhannon said in another post, it is the choice I make in how I build a character.

We are each different in our reasons for why we play and what our goals are for the game. KI has a difficult task in trying to keep as many of us happy as they can and keep their business goals in mind too. Sometimes they make mistakes or our expectations are different than they think they will be. I am with you on hoping the sale of spells will end with this. But I do hope they add additional dropped spells, at least for the other schools. I for one would like to thank KI for adding the dropped spells.

Champion
May 03, 2011
Before this thread turns into another flame war, I just want to say that, while I have had some really cool discussions here on the forum, and learned a lot (thanks to all who taught me the ins and outs of playing various schools, how to get the best gear, and even, early on, how to use treasure cards!), owing to the trolling of certain ubiquitous players/commenters (okay, mainly one), it's no longer fun for me. I find myself turning into a sarcastic meanie, which isn't really me.

I don't really want to get into another unpleasant back-and-forth with this Legendary Poster, so I am leaving for now. In fact, I am dialing back my gameplay as well, and may very well take the advice of this troll, and leave the game entirely. I should point out one thing, though--a person who really loves the game would not tell people (fairly regularly) to quit playing if they don't agree with him/her (assume this person is a him, but don't know, obviously). Just saying.

And no, I am not leaving the game because of this person--just the forum. I'm still in game for now, but have lost a lot of friends in the last months--so many have left. Not sure I have the energy to start all over looking for new play partners.

So, thanks again to everyone here who helped me in the early days of my gameplay--several of you have left the game, I know, but I'm still grateful! I've had a lot of fun here on the forum, because I do love to write--and I hope I've helped a few people too--hatching pets, learning to play Myth (my first and dearest school), and the like. My apologies to people with whom I've tangled over issues that I got too invested in--I guess it's an occupational hazard for a writer. I do respect all views, and try to take them seriously when they are put forth respectfully and thoughtfully. If I have failed a few of you on that score, I apologize. I am not always right, but I try to be sincere. Again, thanks all.

Bye for now.

Tabitha Mythrider, Level 70 Myth
Tabitha Ravenheart, Level 70 Death
Tabitha Rainweaver, Level 70 Life
Abigail Wildsong, Level 58 Storm
Abigail Sunsinger, Level 26 Fire
Baby Abigail (Ice) still in WC :-)

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
Before this thread turns into another flame war, I just want to say that, while I have had some really cool discussions here on the forum, and learned a lot (thanks to all who taught me the ins and outs of playing various schools, how to get the best gear, and even, early on, how to use treasure cards!), owing to the trolling of certain ubiquitous players/commenters (okay, mainly one), it's no longer fun for me. I find myself turning into a sarcastic meanie, which isn't really me.

Tabitha Mythrider, Level 70 Myth
Tabitha Ravenheart, Level 70 Death
Tabitha Rainweaver, Level 70 Life
Abigail Wildsong, Level 58 Storm
Abigail Sunsinger, Level 26 Fire
Baby Abigail (Ice) still in WC :-)

@Tabby714,

Regarding the new spells, I too disagree that any new spell should be dropped or sold. I like the old days and the old ways best. Once an old-schooler, always an old-schooler 8)

To address your point about mean posters: It is true that our forums have lately been less civil and humorous than at any time in the previous two years. I have made the same observation as you regarding trolling behavior and it's effect on me. As normally happy and relaxed person, I find myself taken aback by my desire to reply in a sharp, sarcastic, and unkind way, just to get even. I don't retaliate often, but it is so very hard to restrain my fingers from typing a scathing reply. It is sad to see the incivility that somehow passes by the moderators, who formerly paid careful attention to trolling, hijacking of threads, and other abusive or threatening sentiments. I don't know why, but recently they have allowed a few individuals get away with some highly unsuitable flaming. If this is the future of the official Wizard 101 forums, I may migrate to Central or another fan site.

However, I plan to stay in this game for the long haul, and I hope you remain an active player, too. I would love to meet you in the Spiral, introduce you to my wonderful GIRL POWER crew, and have some good times fighting bad monsters. Somehow, I think you would make an excellent teammate.

Oh, and always remember: Don't feed the trolls

Defender
May 17, 2011
Pyrsik wrote:
I see nothing wrong with it. The dropped spells are certainly not needed to finish the game. Why not reward some hard farming work with a chance to get a rare spell?Either way it's not a game-changer for me. I see plenty of other areas in game of far more pressing concerns,but that is just my humble opinion.

And chances are that you earned the money to buy the ninja lore pack spells, too!

Survivor
May 30, 2009
Pyrsik wrote:

agreed.
I haven't had time to do this , with pvping, farming(!) for Bezerker's Rage Pendant and doing WS quests to get to the Tower.
Dropped spells are not needed.
I guess I was a little annoyed by the crowns only spells.
-Alric Deathfinder

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Tabby,

I look at this from the point of view that we dropped pets, gear, so why not a spell. You can buy Gear, pets, and I guess why not spells.
If you got the money, I guess good for you, I don't.
At least they gave us the option for farming for them, so I can't complain abut that.
All in all, I think KI tried to come up with different ways to keep the game interesting and fun. If they just made us do the same thing to get all the spells, I would make the game bring in a tint of boredome.

I will say this, I think that KI knew that Balance needed this spell, and this was the way they gave it to them. I question if Myth or life really needed their spells. Just my take on it, have fun in the spiral.

Joe.

Survivor
Mar 11, 2011
I agree, but disagree. Agree: I have been farming Koto for about 11 hours in all and no ninja pigs. I only put up with this because I have nothing better to do.
Disagree: I have sold all this gear that I got and have made major gold.
I am saving up to buy a new 100,000 gold house. I currently have 80,163 gold.
Every time I fight Koto, I get a surprise reward.
Still, 11 hours. Time to maybe fix up my house or something.
Finnigan Shadowglade, Transcended Conjurer.
Finnigan Deathflame, Adept Necromancer.

Until I get Ninja Pigs, I will add to every post of mine;
Koto, y u no drop my piggies?

Survivor
Aug 25, 2009
I actually think that dropped spells are an excellent idea. I do see how some might find it to "cheapen" the game and make it easier, but I actually see some good potential in it. Think about those long and dull hours spent from level 42-48 doing quests in Dragonspyre. Many find the world dull and depressing and find it extremely boring trying to get to Malistaire while anticipating their level 48 spell. These new spells make it possible for those with nothing to do to entertain themselves for a while. I know that Mooshu is a very calm and nice place, so what better thing to do than go and farm your heart out? It's an excellent idea for entertaining bored players with nothing to do. Plus, the Samurai and Goat Monk spells are pretty cool!

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Tabby714.

Please don't leave. This game needs plenty more players like you to play it.

You WILL visit these forums on a regular basis to read at least MY replies and posts. xD

Survivor
Apr 27, 2010
Reading this post, it really seems to read as a more complicated subject than it really is.

Personally, I don't bother with farming. I prefer questing, so that's what I do. If I'm playing through older bosses, it's usually because I would like to go through them with a specific person who doesn't have access as wide ranging as mine. At the same time, I have plenty of friends who like farming and collecting the rare items they get from them. I don't see a problem with that.

I have to say that I don't see a problem with dropped spells either. It's not really any different than collecting treasure cards - except that you can't sell them if you find them to be useless - and the unusual amount of extra equipment that you get from farming takes gold a long way.

In fact, one of my best in game buddies does quite a bit of farming. He loves the game and wants to advance the storyline, but he's also a teen who buys the sections with crowns when he can. So, between the periods when he can update himself, he farms so that he can get some of those rare items, keep his levels sharp and keep himself entertained. I've never seen a reason to begrudge him the spells he earns for that hard work.

There's room enough in the game for all flavors of entertainment, isn't there?

~Rowan Frostfinder (lvl 48 Ice)
~Kestrel Seastrider (lvl 7 Storm)

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
As the clock winds down on my subscription (meaning I will no longer be able to post here), let me leave all those with no concerns about dropped or purchased "trained" spells with something to mull over. You all seem to be considering only the three spells currently in existence. Now that the precedent has been set, what keeps every trainable spell (even those currently considered school exclusive spells) from being added to various bosses as drops? No different than treasure cards or item cards right? If you have any history with this game at all, ask yourselves... has any other new precedent stopped at the first instance? Will there soon be any point in the Zeke quests for training points?

Will there soon be a point to doing any quests at all (save unlocking a boss to farm endlessly at)? When you can learn absolutely any spell simply by farming for it, will there be any school but ice left in the game? Will that game still be fun for you? I realize that many will feel I am over reacting, exaggerating, etc. However, this future for the game is quite possible and maybe even plausible. If this doesn't concern you at all (you will recall that there was a time when it seemed impossible to have over 30% global resist), that's perfectly fine. Its not like I have a stake in it anymore. However, you just might want to bookmark this post and check back in a year or two assuming that you still play by then. See if you're still unconcerned and even excited at the prospect of dropped "trained" spells.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
As the clock winds down on my subscription (meaning I will no longer be able to post here)..... Its not like I have a stake in it anymore.

I truly hope a precedent is not set of dropped/bought spells, or if they are, they are simply cosmetic spells. However, even more disturbing is your departure from the forums. At least one wizard (me) will certainly miss:

the banter:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/34777.ftl#193526

the disappointment:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/33935.ftl#188452

the snarkiness:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/34777.ftl#193219

the singing:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/28204.ftl#154803

and above all.....this. ( @ Darthjt)

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/25/32856.ftl#185527

Besides, who will advance the agenda for Ice Wizards? Who will carry the banner now?