Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Higher worlds are boring?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 31, 2010
6
Hello. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I found any worlds higher than mooshu to be boring. Idk what it is but the early worlds are so much more fun to me. Maybe it's because the upper worlds are full of boring collect quests and repetitive defeat this and that. Is there some way to make the upper worlds more enjoyable?

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
Many have shared this sentiment -- usually it happens after Dragonspyre though.

Personally, I think the game loses the light fun whimsy of the earlier worlds, and starts to take itself too seriously, as well as focusing too much on the combat aspect of the game, while losing the story-telling aspect somewhat.

But it is a widely discussed difference of views here on these boards, between those who like the casual whimsy family game, and those who want more "challenge." There have been many threads on these themes.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
403
I like the higher worlds better mostly. ZF has too many D&C of the same mobs, but so does MB and MS.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4933
SpecialPersonXD on Sep 1, 2014 wrote:
Hello. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I found any worlds higher than mooshu to be boring. Idk what it is but the early worlds are so much more fun to me. Maybe it's because the upper worlds are full of boring collect quests and repetitive defeat this and that. Is there some way to make the upper worlds more enjoyable?
Anything after Dragonspyre really holds no interest for me. To make the 2nd arc more enjoyable would require pretty much an entire re-write and upload. So yeah, we're stuck with it.

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
393
i found it boring after the beggining of celestia but some parts are like that but most parts are exciting.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2014
24
SpecialPersonXD on Sep 1, 2014 wrote:
Hello. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I found any worlds higher than mooshu to be boring. Idk what it is but the early worlds are so much more fun to me. Maybe it's because the upper worlds are full of boring collect quests and repetitive defeat this and that. Is there some way to make the upper worlds more enjoyable?
It depends on the type of person, in my opinion Mooshu is one of the most fascinating worlds that Wizard101 has to offer.

Justin DeathHammer

Defender
Feb 02, 2014
100
Well you could always multitask. Sometimes I have tv shows on in the background or music. But ya, the lower levels go quicker so it feels more varied.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
2638
SpecialPersonXD on Sep 1, 2014 wrote:
Hello. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I found any worlds higher than mooshu to be boring. Idk what it is but the early worlds are so much more fun to me. Maybe it's because the upper worlds are full of boring collect quests and repetitive defeat this and that. Is there some way to make the upper worlds more enjoyable?
I have the same problem. The tone of the game just seems to take a turn after Mooshu. Players in general are a lot less serious about the game prior to DS/CL. Battles are all doable or at least with one other that happens a long.

When Zafaria was the last world I was perfectly happy making that the last world I quested though because by then I seemed done with the repetition in general of questing. The battles got longer the gear got weaker, cheating, critical and block, etc..

I don't think I will ever repeat Azteca again that world really did me in.

Mary

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
167
I believe the scaling of health on mobs in and after Dragonspyre is a major contributor to the "boredom" feeling you have. You can no longer just Blade/Trap, and hit them. Many fights will slow down due to lack of Power Pip generation, unexpected healing, spell debuffs cast from the enemies, etc. The ability of our enemies to critically hit us is not to be underestimated either.

Drop and collect item quests, and the repetition of defeating the same mobs over and over again (Zafaria) makes the game extremely monotonous at times, and you can expect the same in all the higher level zones.

I believe this is why KI encourages us to "friend" others to share the burden while enjoying the company.
Solo players like myself feel the grind of progressing through zones a bit more than one who has active friends from which to select.

I try to do every quest, except the crafting ones, while in a zone so I can have the best available spells in my school, or secondary school, the gear, and associated boosts, prior to progressing into the next zone. Many people debate the level at which you can enter into 1st Arc zones, but critical hits are an entirely different matter once you are in Celstia and beyond. I feel it's better to be geared as well as possible and survive a duel than to be running back and forth from the base camp every fight because I was entering at the minimal standard.

Explorer
Apr 26, 2010
62
I agree, the storylines are more fun and interesting rather than mindless fighting in the first 3 worlds

Squire
Sep 07, 2011
593
Wow, I disagree strongly. The second arc story is much better and the quests are more interesting. I just race through the first three worlds to get to the good stuff now. I'm not sure how anyone over 8 can be entertained by WS/KT/MB after doing it once or twice. blade-hit... find crates... been there, done that.

DS and WT are where it starts to get fun. AV and KR are the best.

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
415
SpecialPersonXD on Sep 1, 2014 wrote:
Hello. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I found any worlds higher than mooshu to be boring. Idk what it is but the early worlds are so much more fun to me. Maybe it's because the upper worlds are full of boring collect quests and repetitive defeat this and that. Is there some way to make the upper worlds more enjoyable?
I don't play wizard101 for the quest lines. I play because the battles are engaging and require a lot of strategy and planning. You have to create your deck, buy your gear, and train your pet to all combine to make your wizard deadly in combat. That to me is fun, the strategy of it all.
Honestly, I skip past all the dialouge. I have no idea what is happening, I just do whatever the quest tells me to do. I like Mooshu because it's pretty and goes by really fast and easy, but I don't really like it for the quest lines.
So, yeah, this has never really been a problem for me, although I do agree that higher worlds are very challenging.
Myrna Dragoncloud

Survivor
May 31, 2010
6
mmoluvr on Sep 2, 2014 wrote:
I believe the scaling of health on mobs in and after Dragonspyre is a major contributor to the "boredom" feeling you have. You can no longer just Blade/Trap, and hit them. Many fights will slow down due to lack of Power Pip generation, unexpected healing, spell debuffs cast from the enemies, etc. The ability of our enemies to critically hit us is not to be underestimated either.

Drop and collect item quests, and the repetition of defeating the same mobs over and over again (Zafaria) makes the game extremely monotonous at times, and you can expect the same in all the higher level zones.

I believe this is why KI encourages us to "friend" others to share the burden while enjoying the company.
Solo players like myself feel the grind of progressing through zones a bit more than one who has active friends from which to select.

I try to do every quest, except the crafting ones, while in a zone so I can have the best available spells in my school, or secondary school, the gear, and associated boosts, prior to progressing into the next zone. Many people debate the level at which you can enter into 1st Arc zones, but critical hits are an entirely different matter once you are in Celstia and beyond. I feel it's better to be geared as well as possible and survive a duel than to be running back and forth from the base camp every fight because I was entering at the minimal standard.
About the friend thing, i understand it would make the game more enjoyable. But i cant find anyone to be friends with. In the lower words, I see many people, but they're always younger, immature, children. But in the higher worlds, i rarely see a person. But if i do, they either dont answer, or arent very interesting. i met this one person on my death named grace while i was in Mooshu and she was like my best friend on here. But she hasnt been on in over a year so she's either on a different wiz and didnt tell me, or just quit the game. So yeah. I cant find anyone to be friends with.

Survivor
May 31, 2010
6
Gemma Luna on Sep 2, 2014 wrote:
Wow, I disagree strongly. The second arc story is much better and the quests are more interesting. I just race through the first three worlds to get to the good stuff now. I'm not sure how anyone over 8 can be entertained by WS/KT/MB after doing it once or twice. blade-hit... find crates... been there, done that.

DS and WT are where it starts to get fun. AV and KR are the best.
I admit the 2nd arc story may be better, but the boring quests ruin it for me... constantly collecting quests that take forever and defeat 12 of this and what ever... I can't get past Avalon just mainly because its such a bore.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
Gemma Luna on Sep 2, 2014 wrote:
Wow, I disagree strongly. The second arc story is much better and the quests are more interesting. I just race through the first three worlds to get to the good stuff now. I'm not sure how anyone over 8 can be entertained by WS/KT/MB after doing it once or twice. blade-hit... find crates... been there, done that.

DS and WT are where it starts to get fun. AV and KR are the best.
Wow, this amazes me. Just goes to show that people have very different likes. To me, the second arc seems to bounce all over the place incoherently, and it is all focused on fighting for the sake of fighting. It is more of a chore to get through, than a story to enjoy.

I found the quests and storylines much better and more fun in the first arc. I liked the tempo and the variety of questing, battling, puzzles, etc. much better in the earlier worlds.

But as I said in my earlier post, this has been a major difference of views that shows up again and again in these boards. "Different strokes for different folks" as the saying goes.

Delver
Jun 02, 2010
222
Here are the order in which I find worlds most boring from most to least and why:
1. Wizard City
It feels so average and unoriginal in nature plus not to mention being lower level atm.
2. Krokotopia
So many quests that require defeating lots of opponents and usually I am eager to level up
3. Pigswick Academy
Its very short. The story mode I find to be very interesting, but nothing super important there really.
4. Grizzlehiem
Eh. Grizzleheim is quite fun and the theme is really cool. Don't get me wrong, but it sometimes it feels more like a chore completing the quests than anything.
5. Mooshu
I love the theme of Mooshu, when I compare it to some of the other worlds I find more interesting. It ends up as 5th.
6. Celestia
This world once was the most interesting world in my book, but questing in this world feels tedious at times though. I think the theme is cool though.
7. Marleybone
I Think the game play is very solid around this part so I like Marleybone and it has an interesting theme and set up with very fun dungeons, but can get caught in battle too often.
8. Avalon
The story is very interesting, but questing here can be tedious and the graphics not most appealing to me.
9. Dragonspyre
The music and theme in this world is AWESOME! ! !, but can be annoyingly long.

10. Khrysalis 1 and 2
The combat and story mode was AMAZING and so much fun. I loved the music too.

LOVE THE THEME and I think this world has awesome music and a VERY interesting story that kept me interested, but can be very tedious and frustrating getting around in.
11. Aquila
The Music and theme in this world BLEW ME AWAY. Almost everything about this world was So EPIC. The only reason I did not give it 12 was because it was too short.
12. Azteca
LOVE THE THEME and I think this world has awesome music and a VERY interesting story that kept me interested, but can be very tedious and frustrating getting around in.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
717
Alex Stormlight on Sep 4, 2014 wrote:
Here are the order in which I find worlds most boring from most to least and why:
1. Wizard City
It feels so average and unoriginal in nature plus not to mention being lower level atm.
2. Krokotopia
So many quests that require defeating lots of opponents and usually I am eager to level up
3. Pigswick Academy
Its very short. The story mode I find to be very interesting, but nothing super important there really.
4. Grizzlehiem
Eh. Grizzleheim is quite fun and the theme is really cool. Don't get me wrong, but it sometimes it feels more like a chore completing the quests than anything.
5. Mooshu
I love the theme of Mooshu, when I compare it to some of the other worlds I find more interesting. It ends up as 5th.
6. Celestia
This world once was the most interesting world in my book, but questing in this world feels tedious at times though. I think the theme is cool though.
7. Marleybone
I Think the game play is very solid around this part so I like Marleybone and it has an interesting theme and set up with very fun dungeons, but can get caught in battle too often.
8. Avalon
The story is very interesting, but questing here can be tedious and the graphics not most appealing to me.
9. Dragonspyre
The music and theme in this world is AWESOME! ! !, but can be annoyingly long.

10. Khrysalis 1 and 2
The combat and story mode was AMAZING and so much fun. I loved the music too.

LOVE THE THEME and I think this world has awesome music and a VERY interesting story that kept me interested, but can be very tedious and frustrating getting around in.
11. Aquila
The Music and theme in this world BLEW ME AWAY. Almost everything about this world was So EPIC. The only reason I did not give it 12 was because it was too short.
12. Azteca
LOVE THE THEME and I think this world has awesome music and a VERY interesting story that kept me interested, but can be very tedious and frustrating getting around in.
Ok, so maybe I've been saying a lot on this thread already. But again, Wow! Your list is almost the reverse of mine!

I love Wizard City, Krok, Grizzleheim, Mooshu, and Avalon.

Azteca and Aquila I almost never go to -- they are all about fighting for the sake of fighting, and long dungeons which I rarely have the time to complete. Azteca was a misery for me to finish, and after finishing is an apocalyptic misery to visit, for the visual and sound effects alone. I almost never go there for any reason. Once in a while I feel up to the Aquila dungeons, and when I do, they are fine. The Aquila/Olympian concept I think is a good one -- I wish it was not used on a dungeon-centered world though.

Dragonspyre I liked for the culmination of the first arc, but the atmosphere and sound are really not enjoyable for me.

Celestia for the most part I don't care for. I like it up on the surface of the world, but all the space-alien underwater ruin thing seems really out of place to me for a Wizard themed game. For questing, for combat, and for concept, the world is one of my least favorite worlds to go to.

Marleybone is a world I sometimes like, and sometimes don't want to visit. But overall It is a good addition to the game.

Zafaria (which you left out) I like for the atmosphere and the concept. I find the defeat and collect quests excessive there and irritating, but I like the world overall.

I agree with you about Wisteria/Pigswick. It is a side world that is cute, but really seems to serve no purpose. It always seemed to me like a half-done world -- short, not much in the shops, shops that advertise what they do not sell. I think it has a lot of potential, especially to pick up on other worlds that were there for the Spiral Cup competition -- but the potential is not realized fully by a long shot.

Khrysalis 1&2 -- I have not finished K2 yet. Initially I really liked K1, and I do like the story and the characters in this world. But somehow, I still find it drags for me. I used to fly through worlds with my first wizard, and could not wait to go on. Now it is just kind of dull, mostly, too serious. So I play baby wizards in the early worlds instead -- much more fun for me to do that.

Again, I am amazed at how different the experiences are for different people!

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
167
I share the sentiment of the OP as it is difficult for me in this game to socialize with many due to KI's security features. I completely understand their reasoning behind many of them though so not to sound like I'm complaining.

Regarding the individual worlds as to their level of "boring" only a few of the worlds stick out for one or two specific aspects of progressing through them. Along with the usual MMO back and forth from NPC to quest area, here are some things that really stuck out to me during my progression.

Marleybone: unexpected rooftop fights prolong progression through zones. The back and forth in this zone particularly discourages me.

Dragonspyre: Was the "Weakness" spell created for this zone? ugh...

Celestia: The introduction to Critical Hit/Block. The first time I got hit and sent back to base camp, I was like "Wait, what just happened, that mob just hit me for double...he/she only had 4 Pips, how did that happen?"

Zafaria: Repeatedly dueling the same mob...ugh...another zone which discourages me from going through it with another wizard class.

I didn't mention any of the other zones because either I breezed through them, or they were more of the same and not worth mentioning.

@FinnAgainWindrideror any other mature player looking for more, I usually play on the Lincoln Realm due to its low population, and when I'm on my main, I'm progressing through Khrysalis, Fort Rachias.

If you are in need of assistance with your upper level wizards, I would be more than happy group with you, if we are able to coordinate a suitable time. I have also become somewhat of an "alt-o-holic" and have wizards at different progression levels to break the monotony.

Gabriel

Explorer
Jun 26, 2012
80
I love all of the worlds up until Zafaria, that is to me when the 2nd Arc went downhill. Mooshu is probably my favorite world in both Wizard and Pirate, I loved every aspect of it. Krokotopia is also one of my favorites, but it was a bit short sadly. I have mixed feelings about Wizard City, probably because I've done it over 10 times now. Grizzleheim and Wintertusk are also amazing worlds. Marleybone is okay in Wizard101, but in my opinion I believe the Pirate101 version was better. I've always loved Dragonspyre also. As far as the second arc, my favorite of the 5 worlds is probably Celestia. I enjoy the music in Khrysalis and it was a great adjustment of difficulty compared to the original Azteca. However, most of the storyline in the 2nd Arc could be better. I am excited to see what the 3rd Arc brings!

Sean Firesword