Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Good Secondary/Third school for Death?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 01, 2016
Hey, Does anyone know what is a good secondary school and third school for death? I am currently level 34

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Saberzo on Mar 3, 2016 wrote:
Hey, Does anyone know what is a good secondary school and third school for death? I am currently level 34
hi there~ second and third schools are pretty useless (unless you plan to pvp), and here's why:

as you level up, your power pip chance increases exponentially~ power pips only count double for your school's spells (unless you have a mastery amulet, and non-pvp players don't need those), so using them for off-school spells is a waste.

if you have 4 power pips (the yellow ones), you can cast a rank 8 spell from your own school or a rank 4 spell from another school. since most gear is designed to play to your school specifically, a balance wizard (for example) won't be able to play storm as well as a storm wizard can, even with a mastery amulet.

starting at level 50, you'll also have some cool new options available. the sun and star schools are great enhancements that will boost your school's existing spells, and shadow (unlocked at level 92) can do some neat things too.

for now. if you absolutely must train a secondary school, go with myth: you'll get some good attack-all spells (death doesn't get one until level 48), plus your spirit blades are good for both. if you don't have them already, you'll also want stun block (from diego in unicorn way) and reshuffle (from the secret trainer in colossus blvd).

hope that helps~

-von

prodigious
exalted
transcendent
magus

Defender
Oct 24, 2012
Hello, I'm a death wizard as well and currently I have trained:
Ice up to tower Shield
Balance up to Weakness
And Life up to Satyr.
When you get to Celestia you should only train sun school for the damage enchants, and the star school for Infallible. Hope this helps!
~Wolf Blood~
~86 Death~
~Bookworm~

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
Yep, gonna go with Von on this one- after I reset my training points a few years ago (I was probably level 60-something), I haven't really needed any secondary schools and I'm currently sitting on 37 training points- getting through Polaris was a breeze for me. Even before I reset I felt like I was just wasting TP on spells I never used and it wasn't worth the pips, even with mastery amulets. I had trained up as many storm school spells as I could and even had a storm mastery amulet but I still felt like it was a waste.

I have stun block and storm shield along with the spirit traps/blades spells, reshuffle for special boss fights, a pixie that I dont remember getting and never use, lots of sun spells and Virulence, and I have a couple shadow spells but I think I've used them like three times. :P

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Starblood653 on Mar 3, 2016 wrote:
Yep, gonna go with Von on this one- after I reset my training points a few years ago (I was probably level 60-something), I haven't really needed any secondary schools and I'm currently sitting on 37 training points- getting through Polaris was a breeze for me. Even before I reset I felt like I was just wasting TP on spells I never used and it wasn't worth the pips, even with mastery amulets. I had trained up as many storm school spells as I could and even had a storm mastery amulet but I still felt like it was a waste.

I have stun block and storm shield along with the spirit traps/blades spells, reshuffle for special boss fights, a pixie that I dont remember getting and never use, lots of sun spells and Virulence, and I have a couple shadow spells but I think I've used them like three times. :P
that's exactly it~

when i started out, my balance wizard had fire and death trained because i didn't know what i was doing. once i figured out just how useless those spells were, i paid 12,500 crowns to buy all of my points back at level 80 (this was 5 years ago, long before any member benefits existed). it was an expensive mistake that i never repeated.

after i bought my points back, i trained death to feint + the sun/star spells, shadow shrike, and stun block (since i'm a balance wizard, reshuffle and the tri-traps/blades were all free). i still have about 37 points that i haven't used yet.

for my other wizards, i used their points for stun block and reshuffle, plus the astrals and elemental/spirit blades and traps.

(fyi: your pixie spell was earned as a quest reward from lady oriel, way back at the start of the game; i don't use it either, except on storm, since healing current always fails at crunch time)
-von

Survivor
Feb 01, 2016
Thank you guys so much for the help! I appreciate the kindness!