Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Good reason to leave fight.

1
AuthorMessage
Mastermind
May 31, 2009
360
I hate to Bale out of a fight and leave the wizard with his hands full. But today as I play my two deaths against Myth, I place feints and traps on each opponent, I do not use blades with myth unless the player before me is placing them at the time I am going to hit. Using crow on the opponents that now has feints and traps on them it was a sure kill until a player joined in and began hitting the feints with his wand.
This is a sure sign of a player that does not know how to play. Hitting feints with a wand. I wish they would go and start a fight on their own. But now they have created a hardship on my wizards because of their lack of knowledge of how to play so I abandon the fight. When I leave it is now 4 to one, I write this so if you play this game you will wise up and not hit peoples feints and traps with just a small hit. Especiall;y a wand hit.
This is another reason there is that question you should ask "May I Join?"
I normally say yes and then clue the player in on what my strategy is so they dont just go hitting things with wands.
Take time to learn proper strategy on defeating opponents and use it when you go into another persons fight. I enjoy company when I fight, But I dont enjoy added hardship because you dont know simple things like the importance of a feint. Think about that 70% increase in hit you just removed with a wand. Was that a good move on your part?

Survivor
Aug 08, 2012
7
Try to explain it to them instead of leaving. If they're not experienced, think about them trying to fight off 4 opponents by themselves. It's frustrating when people jump in and do things different than you'd like them to, but try to help them instead of abandoning the fight.

Explorer
Feb 12, 2011
97
Drezo wrote:
Try to explain it to them instead of leaving. If they're not experienced, think about them trying to fight off 4 opponents by themselves. It's frustrating when people jump in and do things different than you'd like them to, but try to help them instead of abandoning the fight.


I agree with this. Yes, it is frustrating when someone throws a fire cat at the traps that I was about to hit with Efreet. But I will usually try to tell them why that was a bad move. When I first started playing, I had no idea what a feint was. I am sure I irritated quite a few people - until someone was nice enough to explain it to me. If he hadn't done that, who knows how long I would have kept making that mistake.

Oh - and as soon as that fight is over, if they didn't seem get it - I will switch realms and proceed on my merry way :)

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
2634
I try to treat others in the game that may not have the same level of expertise as just another challenge in the game. You would never be down talked or treated badly by me unless of course you asked for it.

OTOH, your argument may be more valid if you didn't have 2 death wizards that could run scarecrow or any steal spell reducing your chance of defeat.

In the end what is done is done, you were annoyed you lost your Feint and fled. All I can say is I try to make the game a positive experience for the other wizards around me rather then a negative one, if even 1/2 of us here on Wizards did that think how much more friendlier the game would be.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
33
amy7274 wrote:
Drezo wrote:
Try to explain it to them instead of leaving. If they're not experienced, think about them trying to fight off 4 opponents by themselves. It's frustrating when people jump in and do things different than you'd like them to, but try to help them instead of abandoning the fight.


I agree with this. Yes, it is frustrating when someone throws a fire cat at the traps that I was about to hit with Efreet. But I will usually try to tell them why that was a bad move. When I first started playing, I had no idea what a feint was. I am sure I irritated quite a few people - until someone was nice enough to explain it to me. If he hadn't done that, who knows how long I would have kept making that mistake.

Oh - and as soon as that fight is over, if they didn't seem get it - I will switch realms and proceed on my merry way :)


Well if the person was a high level yet destroyed your feint with a wand spell, I would tell them what they did and I would yell at them because they should know what a feint is and the problems with using it with a wand or weak spell. Sorry for the "yell" part.

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
192
One thing to consider for this post is the fact that no npc in the game is owned by a player. If someone needs a target and there arent enough to go around you will get people in same battle this is not going to change. So donot think that any battle is your battle because the other player has as much right to that mob as you do, Yes its frustrating when a player does something differently i agree with that but we must deal with it if you want to play.
I grow weary of the people that when you jump into a battle and they say "HEY GET UR OWN!" . If i myself need 6 items from a mob im going to jump into battles so more mobs get involved and make collecting faster. If you dont like that idea then maybe you should not be playing a Massively Multiplayer Game.
All in all though i agree with the frustration about players with different strategies and the ones that dont know the rules but its a game you can help people learn , you can turn and walk away or you can quit but please stop thinking you own the game.

Explorer
Feb 12, 2011
97
danik101 wrote:
amy7274 wrote:
Drezo wrote:
Try to explain it to them instead of leaving. If they're not experienced, think about them trying to fight off 4 opponents by themselves. It's frustrating when people jump in and do things different than you'd like them to, but try to help them instead of abandoning the fight.


I agree with this. Yes, it is frustrating when someone throws a fire cat at the traps that I was about to hit with Efreet. But I will usually try to tell them why that was a bad move. When I first started playing, I had no idea what a feint was. I am sure I irritated quite a few people - until someone was nice enough to explain it to me. If he hadn't done that, who knows how long I would have kept making that mistake.

Oh - and as soon as that fight is over, if they didn't seem get it - I will switch realms and proceed on my merry way :)


Well if the person was a high level yet destroyed your feint with a wand spell, I would tell them what they did and I would yell at them because they should know what a feint is and the problems with using it with a wand or weak spell. Sorry for the "yell" part.


Well, my example was of a lower level who might not know what they are doing (hence the fire cat reference). If we are talking a high level, in a high level world, wanding off a feint, then I will start screaming!

I have found that there are trolls in the game at all levels. I think the trick is figuring out who is trying to ruin your fun on purpose - and those people who really just don't know how to play very well.

For some reason I have a ton of patience for new/inexperienced players - so I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt before I bail on a fight and let them go it alone. Like I said in the my post above, someone was kind enough once to explain it to me (which i needed) and it was one of many things that helped make me a better player.


Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3175
fireproof1111 wrote:
One thing to consider for this post is the fact that no npc in the game is owned by a player. If someone needs a target and there arent enough to go around you will get people in same battle this is not going to change. So donot think that any battle is your battle because the other player has as much right to that mob as you do, Yes its frustrating when a player does something differently i agree with that but we must deal with it if you want to play.
I grow weary of the people that when you jump into a battle and they say "HEY GET UR OWN!" . If i myself need 6 items from a mob im going to jump into battles so more mobs get involved and make collecting faster. If you dont like that idea then maybe you should not be playing a Massively Multiplayer Game.
All in all though i agree with the frustration about players with different strategies and the ones that dont know the rules but its a game you can help people learn , you can turn and walk away or you can quit but please stop thinking you own the game.


Unfortunately, many wizards lack manners when jumping into battles uninvited.

I always prefer that you ask before joining me~ just in case I'm almost dead and will lose credit for my quest if you drag in another enemy. I will never turn someone away, but if you start giving me orders, expect to be told NO. I know how to play the game, thanks. Trying to take control of a battle that you didn't start (giving orders, when others were there first) is highly frowned-upon, especially at the higher levels.

As for the Feint situation, I am a Balance wizard~ therefore my hex spell looks identical to your Feint. This caused a lot of problems when I was new~ unless your eyes are glued to the screen, there's no way to know which one it is. My friends and I always tell each other when we're laying feints, and we ask each other if it's okay to use them... It's called respect, people. ;)

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
771
I found the described issues constantly in Krokotopia and Marleybone. Wizards jumping in and playing extremely poorly. Just lack of strategy or how to play a card game? And really hard to explain strategy to non-chat wizards. When landing in someone else's fight its always good to try to understand their methods and strategies, ask a couple key questions.

But when I moved into Mooshu i found the issue dropped significantly. Makes sense of course, more experienced players, and most have chat.

The biggest issue i have now are wizards with spells that are too big, too powerfull, demanding too many pips for their level. They sit in the battle circle gaining pips doing nothing useful. Finally by the time they can cast their mega spell most of the enemy are dead or so weak a wand spell can finish them. Great, they did 3000+ damage on a creature hanging on with 80 health points!


Defender
Feb 24, 2012
192
" but if you start giving me orders, expect to be told NO."

This is exactly what i was talking about. No one has the right to tell someone they cannot join a battle especially if they need the mob or what the mob drops. I dont care if you have been in battle for 3 hours if i need a mob and there are no open mobs i will be joining a battle whether a player agrees or not because i need that mob. I pay for a monthly fee just like everyone else and i will not willingly try to mess up someones game . i play to benefit my toons not to make everyone happy.
Im not flaming here im just stating the facts. The sooner some get a reality check the better.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3175
fireproof1111 wrote:
" but if you start giving me orders, expect to be told NO."

This is exactly what i was talking about. No one has the right to tell someone they cannot join a battle especially if they need the mob or what the mob drops. I dont care if you have been in battle for 3 hours if i need a mob and there are no open mobs i will be joining a battle whether a player agrees or not because i need that mob. I pay for a monthly fee just like everyone else and i will not willingly try to mess up someones game . i play to benefit my toons not to make everyone happy.
Im not flaming here im just stating the facts. The sooner some get a reality check the better.


It appears that you misunderstood that statement.

vonawesome1 wrote:
I will never turn someone away, but if you start giving me orders, expect to be told NO.


What I said was that, while I'll never rag on you for jumping into my battle uninvited, it's not your place to start giving me orders when I've done all or most of the work.

I am an archmage Balance wizard~ most people who randomly join my fights don't even say hi/sorry/what's up. They start demanding that I play their way, often along the lines of "blade/shield/heal me" or "keep passing and let me kill". No please, or anything~ no manners at all! And then, they start raging when they find out that my sorcerer only packs one heal and does not carry shields.

My deck contains only 6 cards, enough to pull my own weight; therefore, I can't compensate for someone who is unprepared or unwilling to do her share. Unless we are playing as a team, and have agreed beforehand that my only purpose is to buff and heal you, you're being selfish. It's unfair to assume that all I do is load up on buffs, and even more unfair to demand that I just hand them over.

-

If someone joins my battle says, "Hi, sorry about that. Would you mind blading me, if you can?"... I would have no problem helping this person. She is friendly, polite, and doesn't start off the conversation by giving orders.

Of course, if she joined me and said, "heal me" or "give me that blade", the answer would be no. I don't care what school or level you are, or whether or not you're more "powerful" than me~ that's disrespect, and I don't help people who disrespect me.

I'm a "nice" player, but most of the randoms I encounter mistake my kindness for weakness. I am not a doormat, and am not afraid to put an obnoxious person in her place.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
502
What really annoys me is when someone joins when you've buffed up and have just killed the mobs. My deck is minimal, so I rely on one blade, Windstorm and Sirens to kill things and then someone just jumps in and complains about me not attacking. >.<

Mastermind
Dec 11, 2011
333
When somebody does that, I kindly leave the fight, after saying a few unkind words without breaking the TOU.

Survivor
May 25, 2011
11
When someone enters my battle uninvited i start to get real angry and say something,but i just let it go.

Survivor
Sep 24, 2010
27
Lol. When someone enters my battle I say "Hi." It does not matter whether they use my traps or not. My only concern is if they flee or afk while the battle is not finished. I had one friend like that so I unfriended him.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3175
Arniebella wrote:
Lol. When someone enters my battle I say "Hi." It does not matter whether they use my traps or not. My only concern is if they flee or afk while the battle is not finished. I had one friend like that so I unfriended him.


Someone did that to me TWICE tonight~ no idea why a level 34 had any business in Avalon to begin with, but there was one there tonight, who kept joining my duels and fleeing. My poor necromancer was stuck with 3 death Seraphs, and anyone who's ever fought them (and is not Life or Storm) knows that they take AGES to kill.

(By the time you blade, feint, prism, get rid of all the weakness traps, and get enough pips for Scarecrow or Dr. Von, your health is probably in the 750-1000 range... To make things worse, Val's deer knight kept spamming Berzerk~ it was like he was trying to out-spam those seraphs and their ninja pigs, srsly.)

/3 am tangent rant.

I've also had the AFK problem, and made a huge, ranty post on the Dorms board about it. It's locked now, but feel free to read it through (and maybe make some more suggestions, lol).

Here's the thread: https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/49118.ftl#274518

Cheers!


Survivor
Jun 01, 2009
14
Usually I just ignore them making a wrong move and go about my own business and make small talk with them o;. But then again I am a very passive person.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
712
This is my take on this:

If one gets all mad and angry when someone (whoever it is) blasts away Feints, then that person has a PROBLEM.

I can see an issue here when it is done during hard dungeon and boss fights. But my Myth wizard has overcome every single challenge up to date and has never had to have Feints to play.

If you don't want anyone to enter your fight, don't play a MMO.

Explorer
Jul 22, 2009
82
I think when a player joins the 1st player should have a descsion to let them join or not or you could make it so when you cast a trap its unaffected by the other player.

Defender
Nov 05, 2011
127
I believe it is plain rude to enter another persons duel, uninvited, and start using their traps. I would understand if they got drawn in accidentally, but on purpose it's just annoying.

Caitlin WinterHeart

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
705
Shiningfantasia wrote:
I can see an issue here when it is done during hard dungeon and boss fights. But my Myth wizard has overcome every single challenge up to date and has never had to have Feints to play.

If you don't want anyone to enter your fight, don't play a MMO.


Agreed. when in a street battle, I never set a trap I'm not willing to share. My strategy reduces my frustration level enormously and reminds me to share nicely :)

Qbb

Defender
Oct 24, 2009
133
You know. I wouldn't really mind for players to join my battle.
Unless they're REALLY inexperience.
(Such as using my traps with total weak spells, to be specific, wand attacks.)
Yet another annoying thing is, how after they die, they request me to heal.
I'm a life wizard myself, the MOBs in Avalon are quite tough, after they get defeated, they're like,"Heal me, please."
If it was asked politely, I would heal them somehow, for some reasons. (But I'd be moaning like,"Ugh, fine. Stay alive next time.")
1.) Requested and served.
2.) If they're dead I'd face the MOBs myself. `-`
Unless they're my best friend or something, I wouldn't mind.
The thing I hate about being a life wizard is, trying to balance out healing and attacking. Other school wizards sometimes count on Life wizards to do the healing, like once in PvP, I was in a duel (I think it was a 3v3.) and I just kept on Forest Lording. You know what? The opponents keep shouting,"Life wizards are supposed to do healing, not damaging."
That kind of pissed me off, but oh well, maybe they were just jealous we life wizards have both powers.
Anyway,
One more thing I want to share.
Once I was in Avalon in a battle with 2 Death MOBs. Then this storm guy joined me, (He had open chat.) and stayed silent. All I said was,"Oh great."
Guess what he did?
"Sorry, I'll leave you be. :)"
-Flees-
What was that for? He brought in another creature for me to defeat and leaves me with them?
Well good thing I managed them myself, then I met him again, I told him that that was really ungrateful. I don't know why but I felt like doing something back to him.
SO.
I joined his duel and fled on him too.
Back to the topic,
Sometimes people are like that, you can't really blame them. Who knows? You might be the one doing all that in the future. c;

Abigail Fairyblossom - Level 80 Life/Storm - Outer Yard, Avalon -[One in a Million]
Abigail Fairyblossom - Level 50 Balance/Fire - The Crown of Fire, Dragonspyre -[Master of Balance]
Sestiva - Level 48 Storm/Death - Survey Camp, Celestia -[Mastermind]
Kristen - Level 32 Death/Life - Hametsu Village, Mooshu -[Order of the Fang]
Vanessa - Level 26 Ice - Hyde Park, Marleybone -[PvP Veteran]

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
2634
Abbigail623 wrote:
You know. I wouldn't really mind for players to join my battle.
Unless they're REALLY inexperience.
(Such as using my traps with total weak spells, to be specific, wand attacks.)
Yet another annoying thing is, how after they die, they request me to heal.
I'm a life wizard myself, the MOBs in Avalon are quite tough, after they get defeated, they're like,"Heal me, please."
If it was asked politely, I would heal them somehow, for some reasons. (But I'd be moaning like,"Ugh, fine. Stay alive next time.")
1.) Requested and served.
2.) If they're dead I'd face the MOBs myself. `-`
Unless they're my best friend or something, I wouldn't mind.
The thing I hate about being a life wizard is, trying to balance out healing and attacking. Other school wizards sometimes count on Life wizards to do the healing, like once in PvP, I was in a duel (I think it was a 3v3.) and I just kept on Forest Lording. You know what? The opponents keep shouting,"Life wizards are supposed to do healing, not damaging."
That kind of pissed me off, but oh well, maybe they were just jealous we life wizards have both powers.
Anyway,
One more thing I want to share.
Once I was in Avalon in a battle with 2 Death MOBs. Then this storm guy joined me, (He had open chat.) and stayed silent. All I said was,"Oh great."
Guess what he did?
"Sorry, I'll leave you be. :)"
-Flees-
What was that for? He brought in another creature for me to defeat and leaves me with them?
Well good thing I managed them myself, then I met him again, I told him that that was really ungrateful. I don't know why but I felt like doing something back to him.
SO.
I joined his duel and fled on him too.
Back to the topic,
Sometimes people are like that, you can't really blame them. Who knows? You might be the one doing all that in the future. c;

Abigail Fairyblossom - Level 80 Life/Storm - Outer Yard, Avalon -[One in a Million]
Abigail Fairyblossom - Level 50 Balance/Fire - The Crown of Fire, Dragonspyre -[Master of Balance]
Sestiva - Level 48 Storm/Death - Survey Camp, Celestia -[Mastermind]
Kristen - Level 32 Death/Life - Hametsu Village, Mooshu -[Order of the Fang]
Vanessa - Level 26 Ice - Hyde Park, Marleybone -[PvP Veteran]


In this case 2 wrongs made a right? OH boy.

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
116
fireproof1111 wrote:
" but if you start giving me orders, expect to be told NO."

This is exactly what i was talking about. No one has the right to tell someone they cannot join a battle especially if they need the mob or what the mob drops. I dont care if you have been in battle for 3 hours if i need a mob and there are no open mobs i will be joining a battle whether a player agrees or not because i need that mob. I pay for a monthly fee just like everyone else and i will not willingly try to mess up someones game . i play to benefit my toons not to make everyone happy.
Im not flaming here im just stating the facts. The sooner some get a reality check the better.


Bologna! Yes, with a capital B. If there's utterly no free mobs, which is rare, hop realms from that crowded one, go to a perfect one and get your counts without making someone else do all the work for you. Or ask if you may join. Just because it's an MMO doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't use common courtesy. They just might say yes because you asked and they're not worn out or may be thinking the same thing, the more mobs the more likely I'll get the drop.

However, to not care if another player has been in battle for 3 hours or not says volumes about you as a person. People tire. Many of us who play this game have health issues or someone may be needing to finish the duel and get off the game without losing the count themselves for any number of reasons from they've got to go to work or their mother is telling them their computer time for the night is up. But you seem to think that all that matters is you get to use them for your own ends.

I make people pay for it when they try to glom off my work. I'm Life. I stand there and heal myself after finishing my original two mobs and refuse to heal them. Next time ask. If you still refuse to lift a wand, I will continue to heal myself but I'll let that timer run down too. Or go afk if it's time for medicine that I have to take with food. What that's rude? It's disrespectful of me? Lol, I agree -- now do you begin to get the point. It's not respectful of others to use them like that. Jump in my game without being polite enough to ask if you can and I will not kill the mobs you drag in or heal you. It's that simple.

Ironically, I almost always will feel kindly towards someone polite enough to ask and say yes if they're on menu chat or sure, feel free if they're on text or open. Unless, I really do need to end it in which case I say sorry, but I have to go.

You don't know what situation they may have on the other side of their monitor that makes that true.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
771
agree: nothing is worse than when you really gotta pee, you are almooooooost done the battle, and someone new drops in.

If they are appologetic and curteous I hold on. If not...

1