Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Get rid of gifting option!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 23, 2009
I am SO TIRED of people begging me to gift them stuff. I work hard for my money. Stop asking me for stuff. Either get your own job or ask your parents. If you have to have the gifting option, why not make it in the same account? Like if there's a family account. I don't know about the rest of you but i am tired of having people, especially kids, think that I have the word 'Sucker' or 'Wizard101 bank' across my forehead. Just because I buy stuff in the crowns shop doesn't mean that I want to buy it for someone I don't know.

Sharon

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
I understand how frustrating it is when people beg for things but to get rid of gifting would make it so no one could give another person or account anything except tc's. If they had a actual trade option in game then it would be ok but without this would make some people upset.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
I have similar sentiments.

It would be nice if you could gift cheap but fun items purchased with gold (non-stitched clothing items, housing stuff, etc) as fun things to give each other. I think its too bad you can only gift crown items. Perhaps if you could gift stuff based on wizard level only, so you can't gift high leveled stuff just to be sold for gold. Stuff that people would not beg for, but would be fun to send/recieve as a friendly gift.

Survivor
Aug 16, 2012
hermionejaneweasle... on Feb 23, 2013 wrote:
I am SO TIRED of people begging me to gift them stuff. I work hard for my money. Stop asking me for stuff. Either get your own job or ask your parents. If you have to have the gifting option, why not make it in the same account? Like if there's a family account. I don't know about the rest of you but i am tired of having people, especially kids, think that I have the word 'Sucker' or 'Wizard101 bank' across my forehead. Just because I buy stuff in the crowns shop doesn't mean that I want to buy it for someone I don't know.

Sharon
I agree with you. But don't just remove it! For example, my friend gave me a blue teleporter for my house for Christmas 2012 and I didn't get him anything! It's nice to get stuff, but it is annoying having people say "Can you gift me pagoda?" or "Can you gift me crowns?". If you don't like gifting, turn it off in your Parental Controls.

"If you can go all the way, why can't I"
Sean EarthSong, Lvl 32 Pyromancer A+ Student
Justin GreenCoin, Lvl 9 Therugist Hero of Unicorn Way
Brian Griffin, Lvl 3 Conjurer Novice Conjurer

(P.S. YES! I was the person who posted on the Armor Piercing board first written by Professor Drake! I didn't know what armor piercing was!)

Survivor
May 11, 2009
Yeah I agree, but I don't think they should remove the options because it's a good idea if you had friends on Wizard101, and you wanted to buy them something. I think there should be an option to block gift requests if you do not plan on using it, and you don't want anyone asking.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I also find all the begging for gifts annoying, although i do not think it should be removed from game. I can also see a multitude of problems if it was family accounts only. People--especially kids would group their accounts just so they could gift each other. Once you group accounts in such a way there is no way to ungroup. You could just imagine the flood of emails support would get about kids grouping their accounts in such a way just to gift.

One way to deal with the beggars is to avoid the commons--the one place they seem to congregate. If the person asking for gifts is on your friends remove them immediately. Eventually, you will weed out all the beggars on your list.

Just today, while in a fight, someone asked me to friend them. Right after I did, he whispered to me "today is my birthday." I knew what was coming next, and sure enough he asked me to gift him. My reply was, "OK, i will gift you with a nice fresh spot on my ignore list. It comes with a tombstone in your honor that i will place in my house." I then removed him from my list. (was feeling nice so did not ignore). I had to laugh when he asked me why i removed him as a friend. REALLY! You had to ask?

Hannah Lifebringer Level 90 Life

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
hermionejaneweasle... on Feb 23, 2013 wrote:

Sharon
hey, sharon~ i understand why you feel that way, but please allow me to respectfully agree and disagree (and maybe offer some alternatives).

i don't like gifting. allowing us to spend real money on random strangers is a terrible idea, as it only encourages begging, bullying, and spamming. i am a player who's gotten quite lucky with hoards and has several rare mounts, though i buy a lot of my crowns items (mounts, clothing, etc.) for gold; i am not a bank and, as you've expressed, don't take kindly to being treated like one. plus, i don't like having to hide my cool gear and stuff, for fear that i'll be accosted by beggars on my way to the bazaar.

i do not profess to be poor, but i work hard for my money and have too much self-respect to waste it on entitled brats. perhaps ki could make it so that we can only gift to those friends we've starred. or maybe gifting could require us to exchange codes (like the true friend one), in order to gift someone.

that said, i have gifted- and been gifted by- some of my good friends in-game.

december was a tough month for me- not financially, but in many other ways, and only a handful of my closest friends knew. during that time, i would log in to find random little presents in my gift bar~ my friends didn't know the full extent of what was going on in my real life, but it was a nice distraction from those issues and, of course, i was flattered that they cared enough to try and make me feel better.

that is why i gift only to my starred friends. i've connected with most of them outside of the game and, if any of them were ever in a similar situation and i could do something to take some of the weight off, i absolutely would, no questions asked... maybe i'm just really lucky with friends. that is my only argument for the gifting feature; it allows me to reciprocate the kindness of those friends i will likely never meet, but still consider friends.

-von

Defender
Apr 10, 2012
I understand your annoyance with people asking for gifts, but I do not want the gift option removed. I have real friends that play that are not on my family account and we like to gift each other items from time to time. Tell the people no and if they keep asking put them on ignore. If I have I have someone that I added as a friend (people I really don't know but will help with quests) and they start asking me for gifts, I will give them a warning that if they ask me again they will be removed as my friend, and I have had to remove many because they didn't take me seriously.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I can certainly understand your frustration. Most of the beggars are low level, but I've been seeing more mid-level beggars as well in the last few months.

The low-levels want it now (by begging), rather than questing for gold and buying most of the items that way. I get asked all the time because of what I'm wearing, or the mount I have. I just ignore them, or tell them they can quest to purchase most of what they want for gold. Why in the world would I want to spend real money on people I don't know? I have gifted good friends in the game. I will delete people on my list if they beg. I will never gift random people.

Beggars are annoying, but I don't think being able to gift people should be eliminated.

Survivor
Aug 23, 2009
I like the replies on here and I agree. There needs to be a better option. I actually did gift someone once, mainly because he was very nice and he understood why I was reluctant. I like the sentiment and it's a nice feature. I just can't stand beggars. You don't know how many times I was waiting for a payment from a customer and I had to deal with playing free until the payment came through, however long that was, because i simply couldn't afford the amount to get my monthly subscription. Did I cry to others and beg them to help me? No, I dealt with it. I lived, and so will other people who can't have what they want in the game.

Sharon

Explorer
Jul 25, 2011
there is already a page about this but if you encounter a begger simply ignore them and sometimes switch
realms.there is no need to get rid of the gifting option.some beggers think they are too ignorant to get anything.some are just lazy.but they have no right to beg.if a begger tries their luck just ignore them.that's one of the reason the ignore button is there,so use that to your advantage.