Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gear Gives -100% Max Mana?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Surely I am misreading this. It reads like a practical joke or something.

What would be the point of buying equipment that reduces your Mana to zero?

Example: The Cowl of Tribulation. One of its traits? -100% Max Mana.

Great. So whatever I do to boost my Mana, if I put this thing on I lose 100% of it. Zero Mana.

So now that I am an accomplished and battle-tested Wizard, I can put on this item and go into battle only being able to cast zero-pip spells. And get a +5% to accuracy for those spells which are already generally cast at 100%.

Really? Why on earth would I do that?

I presume I must be misreading this. I've been playing this game for about three years, though, and I cannot fathom any other interpretation of -100% Max Mana, but surely it cannot mean that my Mana is reduced to zero. The item would be all but useless.

Can someone show me what I'm missing and help me feel a bit less like a n00b?

Many thanks.

Confused in Wizard City,
Stephen Earthmender

Administrator
No worries, young Wizard, it's a very good question!

These items are ONLY for use in PvP and Mana is not used in PvP.

These items are not meant for normal battles and therefore reducing the mana to 0 ensures you cannot use them during a normal battle.

That help?

community@wizard101.com
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Hmm...I've always wondered about this, but never asked since it never really concerned me.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Professor Greyrose wrote:
These items are ONLY for use in PvP and Mana is not used in PvP.

Ahah! Not being a PvP fan (didn't see the point), I never caught on to the fact that Mana isn't used. Funny!

Professor Greyrose wrote:
These items are not meant for normal battles and therefore reducing the mana to 0 ensures you cannot use them during a normal battle.

That help?

Immensely -- and I am embarrassed to say I never thought of that. That's an awesome, if somewhat confusing, mechanism.

Ironically, I never saw a reason for PvP, but the other day I was poking around Diego's shop and saw some items that looked kind of cool; things I'd not seen before. Lots of all-purpose accuracy boosts, for one. Being a Life Wizard (and somewhat recently introduced to the joys of Luska's ink), I'm constantly fighting against the demon of envy on the accuracy issue. So I saw these items, which can only be purchased using whatever those things are that you get from PvP duels, I suddenly saw a reason one might get into PvP.

But if the equipment can only be used in PvP, I'm back to bewilderment on the PvP issue.

In any regard, many thanks for posting the information!

Stephen Earthmender

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
You do not need mana for pvp, so it is only used in pvp. You can not use it outside of pvp or you can only cast 0 pip spells, and we all know that is not fun.