Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Game moderation and queue dodge system

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 29, 2020
So I've been playing this game for 4 months now. I've maxed a wizard and made many friends along the way. I thoroughly have enjoyed this game and my time on it, and I really haven't had too much I could really complain about because I know the developers are putting in their all and trying to constantly improve the game. The one thing I have serious problems about is the moderation system for chat.

Problem-The huge problem is about how "going around the swear filter" is handled. I will admit I do this a lot. Like I do this every like 5 minutes I play this game. I don’t say it out in the commons or anything I say it around my close friends that I enjoy bantering around with. In my opinion this should be ok to do because it is their choice to be around my “toxicity” if they have open chat, but I can respect that KI wants their game to be child friendly on all levels. What I really can’t appreciate is the fact that I can “go around the swear filter” a hundred times with the same “go around” and never get muted or punished at all, but just out of the blue I do get muted for 24 hours. The system is way too inconsistent and that’s why people like my friend who got suspended today for the same reason go and complain to the support team about their report. This WOULD NOT happen nearly as much if the system was more consistent and that fine line between “right and wrong” was drawn more often. If this line was drawn it would not only be a win for the players, but also a win for the support team that probably gets dozens of emails a day because of moderation problems

Possible solution- I am NOT a game developer. I know that there may be problems with this solution and it’s probably way harder to implement than it sounds, but I feel like one of the best examples of a good system is the League of Legends queue dodging system. That system obviously works 100 percent of the time because it’s easy to make do so. If W101s moderation system was “even” catching you 50 percent of the time for “going around the swear word”, that would enforce your rules terms of use a lot more. If you do this though your punishment should not be as severe. Once again the league queue dodging system works well here. The punishments should be small at first like 5 to 15 minutes and increase to greater punishments the more you abuse the system.Then after a set amount of time, like a couple days- week, or if KIs really serious like a month, the punishment system restarts. Players would know what to expect. They would be scared to abuse the system too much as they edge closer to that day mute or even perma mute. If people could understand that fine line, and people know what to expect, that would make it really scary to keep abusing your system after a certain point especially if it was consistent.

Administrator
Alex Moonshard on Jul 29, 2020 wrote:
So I've been playing this game for 4 months now. I've maxed a wizard and made many friends along the way. I thoroughly have enjoyed this game and my time on it, and I really haven't had too much I could really complain about because I know the developers are putting in their all and trying to constantly improve the game. The one thing I have serious problems about is the moderation system for chat.

Problem-The huge problem is about how "going around the swear filter" is handled. I will admit I do this a lot. Like I do this every like 5 minutes I play this game. I don’t say it out in the commons or anything I say it around my close friends that I enjoy bantering around with. In my opinion this should be ok to do because it is their choice to be around my “toxicity” if they have open chat, but I can respect that KI wants their game to be child friendly on all levels. What I really can’t appreciate is the fact that I can “go around the swear filter” a hundred times with the same “go around” and never get muted or punished at all, but just out of the blue I do get muted for 24 hours. The system is way too inconsistent and that’s why people like my friend who got suspended today for the same reason go and complain to the support team about their report. This WOULD NOT happen nearly as much if the system was more consistent and that fine line between “right and wrong” was drawn more often. If this line was drawn it would not only be a win for the players, but also a win for the support team that probably gets dozens of emails a day because of moderation problems

Possible solution- I am NOT a game developer. I know that there may be problems with this solution and it’s probably way harder to implement than it sounds, but I feel like one of the best examples of a good system is the League of Legends queue dodging system. That system obviously works 100 percent of the time because it’s easy to make do so. If W101s moderation system was “even” catching you 50 percent of the time for “going around the swear word”, that would enforce your rules terms of use a lot more. If you do this though your punishment should not be as severe. Once again the league queue dodging system works well here. The punishments should be small at first like 5 to 15 minutes and increase to greater punishments the more you abuse the system.Then after a set amount of time, like a couple days- week, or if KIs really serious like a month, the punishment system restarts. Players would know what to expect. They would be scared to abuse the system too much as they edge closer to that day mute or even perma mute. If people could understand that fine line, and people know what to expect, that would make it really scary to keep abusing your system after a certain point especially if it was consistent.
Thanks Alex for expressing your concerns here. This has been an ongoing issue we've been working to improve. Your insights on what you see are helpful in us targeting how to improve the system.

Is this specific to an area, such as more frequent or less in PvP events?

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Sparck on Aug 4, 2020 wrote:
Thanks Alex for expressing your concerns here. This has been an ongoing issue we've been working to improve. Your insights on what you see are helpful in us targeting how to improve the system.

Is this specific to an area, such as more frequent or less in PvP events?
Sparck,

This issue in "cheating the filter," happens commonly in two areas:

PvP
The Commons in Wizard City.

"Going around the filer" especially within public I feel should be punishable, no matter the reason if what is being said is very offensive.

It's important high levels of consistency is implemented here as suggested earlier to dramatically decrease the amount of wizards who partake in this practice.