Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Game Cards in Canada?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 01, 2011
Hello,
I searched game cards availability in Canada, and havent found any new posting since Nov 2010. I was wondering if anything had come of it yet as Inn Comm has an office in Canada now and if they are planning on releasing any cards anytime soon.
We in Canada still would like Gamecards available to us, and would love to know if anything has come about to help fix this problem yet, as I understand it has been a few years people have been asking.
If anyone knows any stores in the states or wherever that sell these game cards online, could you also post that information.
Would really like to hear some responses!
thank you

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
blondi55 wrote:
Hello,
I searched game cards availability in Canada, and havent found any new posting since Nov 2010. I was wondering if anything had come of it yet as Inn Comm has an office in Canada now and if they are planning on releasing any cards anytime soon.
We in Canada still would like Gamecards available to us, and would love to know if anything has come about to help fix this problem yet, as I understand it has been a few years people have been asking.
If anyone knows any stores in the states or wherever that sell these game cards online, could you also post that information.
thank you

Threads about game cards you can buy online are listed below. However, I live in the United States, so I don't know the current validity in the ability to buy these game cards online from another country. But, you can buy them online in the United States, at least. Sorry, I know that doesn't help your situation, but you can at least look into it.

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/16152.ftl#82028

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/10494.ftl#53234

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/12754.ftl#64109

Here is Gamma's official response on game cards in Canada (as of 2009):

"In Canada, everything sold must contain bi-lingual wording. This means that everything must be shown both in French and English.

Until our card distribution company offers their cards in bi-lingual format, we have no control over their sale in Canada or countries outside of the USA.

I'm sorry, but should gift cards ever be available in Canada, we'll definitely let all our players know by posting news on the Ravenwood News (http://www.wizard101.com/news)!"

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/10494.ftl#52347

Also, the office of InComm being in Canada is not enough. The game cards also need a retailer to actually sell them like Gamestop, Target, Walmart, or maybe a Canadian specific retailer willing to obtain the FastCards from InComm. From Gamma's response above, this part is not the obstacle, but rather getting InComm/FastCard to comply with Canadian law.

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
blondi55 wrote:
Hello,
thank you

Since Wizard101 is an ever-expanding game, growing bigger every day, it is probable eventually Kingsisle will make the cards available in Canada. Good luck on that!

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
Hi Blondi, great question.

Game cards are constantly being released with new and exciting pets, mounts, and other goodies.
While the world has made its transition to online buying (groceries can even be purchased online) KI's wizard101 is standing firm with its 'brick & mortar' sales approach.

If an international game selling items exclusively within the USA isn't enough to boggle the mind, then consider the amounts in lost sales due to this ancient contract with GameStop.

Perhaps in wizard101s early days, selling a few cards in a store was adequate. But as the game has grown to over 15 million accounts world-wide, it's the responsibility of the company to give all users an equal opportunity - and not shut out potential customers due to location restrictions. Especially when the item in question is a series of numbers. Shame..

The logical solution would be an online marketplace, as most MMORPG's offer. This painfully obvious solution would not only allow KI to dodge international bi-lingual laws, but it would allow players world-wide to purchase item instantly.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be at the top of KI's list - if even on the list at all. They just simply dont have the time for such an endeavour. They are far too busy making $20 amulets to sell instead.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
loki1201 wrote:

Game cards are constantly being released with new and exciting pets, mounts, and other goodies.
While the world has made its transition to online buying (groceries can even be purchased online) KI's wizard101 is standing firm with its 'brick & mortar' sales approach.

If an international game selling items exclusively within the USA isn't enough to boggle the mind, then consider the amounts in lost sales due to this ancient contract with GameStop.

Perhaps in wizard101s early days, selling a few cards in a store was adequate. But as the game has grown to over 15 million accounts world-wide, it's the responsibility of the company to give all users an equal opportunity - and not shut out potential customers due to location restrictions. Especially when the item in question is a series of numbers. Shame..

The logical solution would be an online marketplace, as most MMORPG's offer. This painfully obvious solution would not only allow KI to dodge international bi-lingual laws, but it would allow players world-wide to purchase item instantly.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be at the top of KI's list - if even on the list at all. They just simply dont have the time for such an endeavour. They are far too busy making $20 amulets to sell instead.

KI doesn't distribute the cards InComm does. I don't know how much sway KI has over where and how the cards get distributed. My past real life experience with such things leads me to believe not much. They are no doubt limited by whatever is in the contracts signed between the two businesses. Perhaps when they come up to be renewed something different will be done.

Also the new Mega Cards and the Epic Cards before them are/were marketed as exclusive to Gamestop. Therefore they can only be found at Gamestop.

I would suggest to people to contact InComm and the retail outlets to see if more can be made available online.

Megan

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
loki1201 wrote:

I'm not sure why KI/Wizard 101 is getting singled out in your post. Quite a few online games that sell their products via game cards have the same issue in selling them in other countries. The FreeRealms game has a very similar situation given their card distributor is InComm/FastCard too.

A better argument is asking KI to include special pets with their gift certificates more often, since those are available to anyone with an internet connection.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
kingurz wrote:

I'm not sure why KI/Wizard 101 is getting singled out in your post. Quite a few online games that sell their products via game cards have the same issue in selling them in other countries. The FreeRealms game has a very similar situation given their card distributor is InComm/FastCard too.

I never implied that every MMORPG sold their goods via an online market. I said most do.

You gave me the example of The Free Realms. I haven’t played that game, but since they too use the same card distributor I can only imagine how many times this issue has been posted on their message boards as well.
I’m not trying to single out Wizard101. It's a great game. I’m simply pointing out a flaw in it’s marketing. Everyone keeps saying how its not KI’s fault, because they have no control over InComm’s policies. Well, keep in mind InComm is just a card distributor. The entire point of my post was to eliminate the middle man.

Bottom line is this. KI has control over everything. They create everything you see in the game, not InComm. They can easily sell their codes online, or better yet, sell all items in the Crown shop. InComm is definitely a problem. They are costing sales for the game, and likely even charging KI a fee. Paper and ink aren’t free.
I just don’t understand exactly how InComm is needed.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
loki1201 wrote:

Bottom line is this. KI has control over everything. They create everything you see in the game, not InComm. They can easily sell their codes online, or better yet, sell all items in the Crown shop. InComm is definitely a problem. They are costing sales for the game, and likely even charging KI a fee. Paper and ink aren’t free.

My experiences suggest KI came up with all of the card content. InComm has the cards made and distributed. The sheer size of their business means they get a good volume discount. If KI tried to do it the cards would cost more to produce and sell. Obviously, just offering the products online would eliminate many costs.

Once again contracts may be part of the reason KI does not do just what you are suggesting. I would imagine there is a no compete clause. Mind you, I am just speculating.

Megan

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
loki1201 wrote:

Because some people don't have credit cards and have to use cash to pay for their Wizard 101 game time. The codes that go with them are incentives to go to that particular retailer, which that retailer has exclusive rights to in order to sell in partnership. It is worth it for KI to pay whatever those fees are in order to reach a much larger potential audience.

InComm is needed, because (I assume) no one that is employed at KI is in the business of game card distribution. So they outsourced it. (i.e. KI doesn't have a game card manufacturing plant in Texas somewhere).

Again, if your particular issue is getting bonus pets while buying crowns, you should probably ask KI to give out more codes with their gift certificates (they have done this before). If your issue is to get the pets associated with the exclusive retailer's game card, your argument is with the card distributor or with the retailers themselves in selling their game cards online (like Best Buy does). KI can only do so much (like Gamma stated above) to get InComm to comply with Canadian laws. I'm sure KI would love to get more cards out to the rest of the world in order to bring in even more revenue.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
To close out this thread in any future searches, link below provides information that game cards will be sold in Canada this fall. Looks like all the legal issues were cleared up!!!

https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/news/june2011