Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gambling?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 06, 2009
5
Alright I'm really confused on how the new packs are teaching kids gambling? It's a choice and if you want to progress through the game with earning everything then by all means go for it. I buy the packs to earn nice pets and mounts and earn some rare items. But I don't understand where the word gambling comes in! You're just exchanging 399 crowns for 7 items... big whoop. You aren't betting any personal belongings you are just buying a pack. Sheesh! Someone please explain to me how buying a pack is relevant to gambling.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2640
filly412 wrote:
Alright I'm really confused on how the new packs are teaching kids gambling? It's a choice and if you want to progress through the game with earning everything then by all means go for it. I buy the packs to earn nice pets and mounts and earn some rare items. But I don't understand where the word gambling comes in! You're just exchanging 399 crowns for 7 items... big whoop. You aren't betting any personal belongings you are just buying a pack. Sheesh! Someone please explain to me how buying a pack is relevant to gambling.


The term gambling is coined by those that are specifically looking to obtain a certain item within the multitude of items. They gamble their 399 crowns for a chance at a mount, wand, spell, etc. By all definitions that is gambling.

However, KI sells card packs at 399 crowns for seven random items. So unlike, Las Vegas gambling, when you pay 399 crowns you actually get seven random items (opposed to Vegas, where you either win or you don't).

This is all perspective and opinion, so the terms of what gambling actually means in Wizard101 is different to everyone.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
2902
It's gambling (same for the boss Crowns chests, pets, etc.) because most people who pay for them are trying to get a rare item. It's essentially a lottery.

For example, I've heard of people paying hundreds of dollars for pets, trying to get the Spritely talent. I've also heard of people spending 20,000+ Crowns in Malistaire's chest trying to get their school robe.


Defender
Jun 06, 2009
101
Those who call it gambling are usually trying to pin a negative connotation on the process.

Interestingly, I find few people who would call collecting baseball cards "gambling". So they are not exactly on solid ground to use that term to describe an electronic implementation of the same concent.

It is a game of chance, yes. And there is money paid to play, yes. But when you win, you are not winning the money others paid to play against you. That would be gambling.

As noted above, it is more like a lottery. Or, even more accurately, it is like collecting baseball cards.

Those who are angry because they can't get the purple-striped beanie with propellor on top will use any derrogatory term they can think of to express their malcontent.

So my advice is to treat them like malcontents, and quietly pity them.

If you believe in the power of positive thinking, a silent wish that they grow up soon might also be useful. lol

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard
Pixie Realm

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1205
gambling is a choice, lol... and look up the definition of gambling in any dictionary if you don't understand the term

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1205
kingurz wrote:
filly412 wrote:
Alright I'm really confused on how the new packs are teaching kids gambling? It's a choice and if you want to progress through the game with earning everything then by all means go for it. I buy the packs to earn nice pets and mounts and earn some rare items. But I don't understand where the word gambling comes in! You're just exchanging 399 crowns for 7 items... big whoop. You aren't betting any personal belongings you are just buying a pack. Sheesh! Someone please explain to me how buying a pack is relevant to gambling.


The term gambling is coined by those that are specifically looking to obtain a certain item within the multitude of items. They gamble their 399 crowns for a chance at a mount, wand, spell, etc. By all definitions that is gambling.

However, KI sells card packs at 399 crowns for seven random items. So unlike, Las Vegas gambling, when you pay 399 crowns you actually get seven random items (opposed to Vegas, where you either win or you don't).

This is all perspective and opinion, so the terms of what gambling actually means in Wizard101 is different to everyone.


The type of gambling that is being done by Wizard101 is akin to gambling games such as the lottery and bingo, though many don't like to view these things as gambling they are regulated by the government as gambling and those who deal in such illegal activities are fined heavily and shut down. Don't think this can't happen to Wizard101 should the government decide that their packs are no different than the lottery where people put down money in hopes of winning a prize they are after. The government can now easily take over and shut down any site they so choose without warning. By offering these packs with chances of winning certain prizes often with low percentage chances Wizard101 is actually breaking the law and is no longer a kid friendly site. If however the packs were also obtainable in the game, which they aren't at all to my knowledge, then they become gaming items of chance even if they are also offered in crown shop for cash. Wizard101 would be well advised to consult their lawyers on this matter, cause once again the government can sieze gambling websites without warning at any moment under current laws.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2010
40
Well 60k in crown gone no new spell do not bye this pack. AS you well no K I is all about there money. This is diricted stright tord Mister Lincone. I want let you no i hope give your works a bonus sence rip us off put new spell in packs cant get then .You are make pvp unfair play. I got hit today pvp bye lvl 10 commander I am lvl 5 warlord with one them new spells. This game is turning into a joke. Have fun drive new car we payed for.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2080
seasnake wrote:
kingurz wrote:
filly412 wrote:
Alright I'm really confused on how the new packs are teaching kids gambling? It's a choice and if you want to progress through the game with earning everything then by all means go for it. I buy the packs to earn nice pets and mounts and earn some rare items. But I don't understand where the word gambling comes in! You're just exchanging 399 crowns for 7 items... big whoop. You aren't betting any personal belongings you are just buying a pack. Sheesh! Someone please explain to me how buying a pack is relevant to gambling.


The term gambling is coined by those that are specifically looking to obtain a certain item within the multitude of items. They gamble their 399 crowns for a chance at a mount, wand, spell, etc. By all definitions that is gambling.

However, KI sells card packs at 399 crowns for seven random items. So unlike, Las Vegas gambling, when you pay 399 crowns you actually get seven random items (opposed to Vegas, where you either win or you don't).

This is all perspective and opinion, so the terms of what gambling actually means in Wizard101 is different to everyone.


The type of gambling that is being done by Wizard101 is akin to gambling games such as the lottery and bingo, though many don't like to view these things as gambling they are regulated by the government as gambling and those who deal in such illegal activities are fined heavily and shut down. Don't think this can't happen to Wizard101 should the government decide that their packs are no different than the lottery where people put down money in hopes of winning a prize they are after. The government can now easily take over and shut down any site they so choose without warning. By offering these packs with chances of winning certain prizes often with low percentage chances Wizard101 is actually breaking the law and is no longer a kid friendly site. If however the packs were also obtainable in the game, which they aren't at all to my knowledge, then they become gaming items of chance even if they are also offered in crown shop for cash. Wizard101 would be well advised to consult their lawyers on this matter, cause once again the government can sieze gambling websites without warning at any moment under current laws.


I am sure KI knows more about the laws and have already looked into this long ago than you do Seasnake. Just because you and a few others want to cry wolf and make false claims against KI, trying to take the I am holier than thou approach. Well, you are not. You have no business saying people should be fired, or that people should be banned or arrested for allowing this to happen. Or that KI should be shut down.

I will call you a whambulance, please get the help you need.

Oh, and will you so called experts please answer this then? If these packs are no different than Baseball cards, Football cards, Basketball cards, and the rest of the trading cards, and those are in stores everywhere, how is it, those are not gambling?

Should I fill you in? You are purchasing 7 random cards cards. You know exactly what you are purchasing before you buy them. Do you know which 7 cards are inside before you buy them? No, not unless you have x-ray vision. The fact that you know you are buying 7 cards and get 7 cards defines it as a purchase and not gambling.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2640
seasnake wrote:
kingurz wrote:
filly412 wrote:
Alright I'm really confused on how the new packs are teaching kids gambling? It's a choice and if you want to progress through the game with earning everything then by all means go for it. I buy the packs to earn nice pets and mounts and earn some rare items. But I don't understand where the word gambling comes in! You're just exchanging 399 crowns for 7 items... big whoop. You aren't betting any personal belongings you are just buying a pack. Sheesh! Someone please explain to me how buying a pack is relevant to gambling.


The term gambling is coined by those that are specifically looking to obtain a certain item within the multitude of items. They gamble their 399 crowns for a chance at a mount, wand, spell, etc. By all definitions that is gambling.

However, KI sells card packs at 399 crowns for seven random items. So unlike, Las Vegas gambling, when you pay 399 crowns you actually get seven random items (opposed to Vegas, where you either win or you don't).

This is all perspective and opinion, so the terms of what gambling actually means in Wizard101 is different to everyone.


The type of gambling that is being done by Wizard101 is akin to gambling games such as the lottery and bingo, though many don't like to view these things as gambling they are regulated by the government as gambling and those who deal in such illegal activities are fined heavily and shut down. Don't think this can't happen to Wizard101 should the government decide that their packs are no different than the lottery where people put down money in hopes of winning a prize they are after. The government can now easily take over and shut down any site they so choose without warning. By offering these packs with chances of winning certain prizes often with low percentage chances Wizard101 is actually breaking the law and is no longer a kid friendly site. If however the packs were also obtainable in the game, which they aren't at all to my knowledge, then they become gaming items of chance even if they are also offered in crown shop for cash. Wizard101 would be well advised to consult their lawyers on this matter, cause once again the government can sieze gambling websites without warning at any moment under current laws.


Huh?

Anyways, the hoard packs are nothing like the lottery. For 399 crowns I at least get 7 useless items I can sell/feed for at least 300 gold to buy something useful. With the lottery, I end up with a scratched ticket telling me I lost.

With Wizard101 I can play the game without buying a single hoard pack. I can't play the lottery or bingo without paying money, unless I expect nothing in return.

Besides, if the Feds ever "do" come knocking on KI's door step, they got your data too. You, me and millions of other players will be questioned for participating in "illegal" activity, or at the least, associated with illegal activity. However, I will sleep comfortably tonight knowing your scenario will not come to pass.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
286
By some definitions, getting in my car and driving across town can be (and is some days) a major risk taking experience. So, I'm gambling on getting to my destination in one piece, I guess. lol

As I stated in another line, but about this same subject matter, no one made anyone buy the card packs. It is your choice to do so. and to expect/demand that KI no longer giving any of us the chance to buy anymore card packs because you believe it is gambling, just doesn't go well with me. Sorry, I'm just a very stubborn old gal and don't appreciate being told what I can or cannot buy.

I'm just quirky like that. :D

Survivor
Feb 29, 2012
14
World English Dictionary
gamble (ˈɡæmb ə l)

— vb (often foll by on )
1. ( intr ) to play games of chance to win money

Money being the operative word.

I agree this is not really gambling. For one, in vegas, you gamble away money on the chance to win something or nothing at all. Here you "gamble" on the chance of getting a certian card, but you do get something in return, even if its 7 cards of mistwood. So you get something no matter what, where as in real gambling you may get nothing at all.

Just my opinion and lets remember to please be nice to each other. If you have a differing opinion there is always a kind way to express it.

Jennifer Frogsong ~ lvl 38 Balance wizard

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
101
seasnake wrote:
gambling is a choice, lol... and look up the definition of gambling in any dictionary if you don't understand the term


And despite the easy availabily of dictionaries, online or otherwise, people still call this gambling. LOL

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard
Pixie Realm

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1205
I could call up the U.S. gaming board, or whatever its called and ask if selling packs that give small percent chances of winning items for money is gambling and regulated as is done in this game but something tells me they would should this game down if they viewed that it was. Gazooks used to put baseball cards in gum packs and was allowed to do so eventhough people bought the packs for the cards cause the main product was the gum, but in the case of Wizard101 packs there is no gum, only chances at items. Bingo and lottery tickets are both gambling instruments under high gambling regulation. Wizard101 packs to my knowledge aren't obtainable in the game.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
1623
colagada wrote:
It's gambling (same for the boss Crowns chests, pets, etc.) because most people who pay for them are trying to get a rare item. It's essentially a lottery.

For example, I've heard of people paying hundreds of dollars for pets, trying to get the Spritely talent. I've also heard of people spending 20,000+ Crowns in Malistaire's chest trying to get their school robe.



Actually, unlike any lottery you may join, you actually win 7 items no matter what. You're not losing anything, you're just gaining items that are worth those 399 crowns/ 79 cents. Many people might think that the items they've received are all just junk and stuff to sell for some gold, but to the person's opinion, they might just be trash. I know some people that are going for the certain treasure card or housing item.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
345
seasnake wrote:
I could call up the U.S. gaming board, or whatever its called and ask if selling packs that give small percent chances of winning items for money is gambling and regulated as is done in this game but something tells me they would should this game down if they viewed that it was. Gazooks used to put baseball cards in gum packs and was allowed to do so eventhough people bought the packs for the cards cause the main product was the gum, but in the case of Wizard101 packs there is no gum, only chances at items. Bingo and lottery tickets are both gambling instruments under high gambling regulation. Wizard101 packs to my knowledge aren't obtainable in the game.


I think they would laugh.

First off -Crowns cost real money. Once you buy them they become premium in game currency. They may only be used for Crown Shop items in game. They can not be refunded to get your money back.

Secondly-It clearly states you will receive 7 cards for 399 Crowns. Each card contains the chance to win rare and ultra rare items. That element chance is where people start getting confused and comparing packs to gambling. You get what you paid for 7 cards.

Third-If I go buy a Lottery ticket or play Bingo. I plunk down cash and receive a ticket or Bingo card. I win or I lose...period. That is gambling, with the packs you get 7 cards. The fact you don't like what you get is your problem.

Lastly-I have little doubt KI has a legal team who carefully looked at this idea.

Megan


Champion
May 03, 2011
447
The Hoard Packs are (more accurately) analogous to games of chance. Some of these types of games are "gambling" in the classic sense, some aren't. As someone pointed out, the word "gambling" is implicitly negative and moralistic. If you use that word, you are usually expressing disapproval. Although culturally, the word has come into more general usage, as in "it's a gamble," to mean "it's risky." Capitalism, as an economic system, is based on risk. People make investments in the hope of getting more out than they put in. That is, I think, what's going on here--capitalism at the micro level.

I'm not a fan of hoard packs, but I would not go so far as to say they are morally wrong. They are an example of capitalism "in little," as they say. And that, as we know, has both good and bad aspects.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
101
seasnake wrote:
I could call up the U.S. gaming board


lol. Enjoy.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard
Pixie Realm