Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Filter the word noob! please!!

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
387
Guys i already get the point can you stop trying to reason with me, if you look at the date you can tell this was a while ago.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
588
If you don't like it ignore it! There is nothing wrong with calling someone a noob.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
588
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Ugh, no! Okay? No. There's no reason for it. Even if KI did block the word, players would just find another way to get the point across. Just ignore it. Works every time.


Yes, exactly. Just ignore it. Example to get past the filter.

no o be

new be

Survivor
Mar 16, 2011
3

OBVIOUSLY, you and many others are confused on the meaning of "noob", it is meant to be something like, "New Bee", like new to the game, people have mistaken the meaning and turned it into "stupid" or "dork" something that is totally not meant for the word noob. I stopped being called noob when I turned level 20, that's probably cause i'm nice to people, and don't deserve the "adopted" meaning of noob

Thanks,
Tyler Sungem, level 62 pyromancer

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2214
crystalwizard12345... wrote:
ssss55123 wrote:
I know some use the word "noob" in a derogatory manner towards others.


Not some, most. 90% of the people who use it in game use it to cyberbully others.

ssss55123 wrote:

As a parent myself, why don't you explain to your child that the ones using that term are trying to make themselves seem bigger and better, thereby showing how insecure they are in themselves.


how well does that work for you in offline situations? Does it really make your kids feel okay when people bully them at school? I chanted "sticks and stones may break my bones" a lot when growing up. Never made me feel better when bullied. I had the kind of discussion you're suggesting with my kids when THEY were growing up. Didn't make them feel any better when being bullied either (though I didn't find out about such incidents till they were grown). Do you honestly think that just telling kids the person doing the bullying is just insecure is going to make the kids being bullied feel like it doesn't hurt?



Crystalwizard12345, as a parent, grandparent and GREAT grandparent, I know that kids learn a lot from what they see in the HOME. If they see the name calling and swearing at home they are going to use it ANYWHERE and ANYTIME they think they can get away with it. What they are taught at home will stay with them for life.

Using "noob" in this game is a long way from cyberbullying. Cyberbullying comes into play when others can get a more direct link such as targeting someone on social networks like " MySpace or Facebook and a few others". Cyberbullying is the constant bullying of a specific target. That is not possible to do in this game unless the person bullying you is on your friends list. That is another reason we have a REMOVE option to our friends list.

Yes, "NOOB" is being used by many in game to try to cut and hurt another.

I remember the wizard name of a grown woman in this game that I reported several months ago for the language she was using against another lower level wizard. And YES, "NOOB" was used as well as several swear words. I first asked her to stop using that kind of language and reminded her that it was not allowed and she should not be doing that to another wizard. Instead of her stopping and dropping the issue, she turned on me. I asked her again to please stop, but instead, she just got even ruder. I reported her. What started this barrage? I don't know and it doesn't matter. Her reaction to the younger wizard does. Now, what would you have done?

What kids learn starts at home. The unfortunate thing is that there are a lot of adults that never learned this or just don't care and don't care how their kids treat others either.

Defender
Aug 07, 2010
107
At first I did not agree, I thought it was pointless and it was just a word. It was meant for newbies so its fine. But after leveling up and going through the game people use it at harmful, distasteful word used to patronize others. Allot of people on here use it as a word to bully other people.

Its more used in pvp. Your a noob if your terrible or your a noob because of your strategy or your a noob because you lost. Its not about having fun its about attacking other people. It is really annoying, ya you can ignore it and try to laugh it off, but it gets to a point where I think its too much. I just randomly watched 6 matches and in 5 of those 6 noob was to hurt the other person. When I have gotten called noob, its either because I did something they they didn't like so that was there best comeback to try and hurt me lol, which is sad. I am just tired of it being the only thing people fall back onto.

Also its not really a word that you need in the game or a word that you need to form a sentence so why not just take it out? What is the point of having it in the game?

Defender
Aug 07, 2010
107
Also I just wanted to point out bullying has many form.s Like for instance emotional abuse. Why tolerate something when you really no need to?

Anyways that is just my take.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2214
fx41001 wrote:
At first I did not agree, I thought it was pointless and it was just a word. It was meant for newbies so its fine. But after leveling up and going through the game people use it at harmful, distasteful word used to patronize others. Allot of people on here use it as a word to bully other people.

Its more used in pvp. Your a noob if your terrible or your a noob because of your strategy or your a noob because you lost. Its not about having fun its about attacking other people. It is really annoying, ya you can ignore it and try to laugh it off, but it gets to a point where I think its too much. I just randomly watched 6 matches and in 5 of those 6 noob was to hurt the other person. When I have gotten called noob, its either because I did something they they didn't like so that was there best comeback to try and hurt me lol, which is sad. I am just tired of it being the only thing people fall back onto.

Also its not really a word that you need in the game or a word that you need to form a sentence so why not just take it out? What is the point of having it in the game?


It is really sad for people to take a word that was originally said to mean a new player as was stated in an earlier post and turn it into an attack. KI does log ALL chat in this game. They have already made some changes in the filters to prevent worse words from being said. And there were ways for those words to be said other than just typing the word itself.

And you are right about "noob" not being an actual word, but there are those that will tell you that you can find it in Urban Dictionaries. If KI has to start filtering letters of the alphabet, mainly vowels, it will not be long until we don't even have the option to chat with our friends. I for one enjoy being able to chat with my friends when they are on. I really don't want to lose that option.

As a few of the other posters have comment, the best thing to do is ignore it. It does work.

Watsupdog111, I understand that you have gotten the point and I appologize. But there seems to be a few that haven't.

Enjoy the game and ignore the negativity. It is a lot more fun that way.

Delver
Aug 15, 2009
272
Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2214
Daviato wrote:
I agree Filter the Noob word!


Daviato, the OP of this forum has gotten the point of not pushing this issue.

Yes, "noob" is in the Urban Dictionary, and yes it has some derrogatory meanings. LOOK IT UP. The transfer from using "newbie" to "noob" totally changes the meaning. "Newb, newbie" do refer to new players, BUT, "noob" does not. "Noob" has 2 or 3 meanings but do not refer to new players. It actually is another way of calling someone "STUPID". In my opinion, people who use it especially in the game are "VERY NARROW MINDED" and not worth getting into a word battle with. And since it is not a swear word, you can't report someone for using it.

KI is not going to be able to filter every thing that these people come up with. The only way KI can prevent this kind of thing is to completely shut down any kind of chat other than menu chat. I for one, enjoy being able to chat with my friends and would really hate to see this happen.

I know there are many young kids playing this game and I understand the concern of the parents. But kids hear worse than this in everyday REAL life.

It would be nice if KI could filter every derrogatory word, but I think that would be an almost impossible task. Eventually someone would find a new way around the filters and new SLANG words would just pop up. Some players even go so far as to use certain letters in a sentence or group of words to create new ways around filters. This was one of the reasons for not allowing capital letters to be used. Now they just tell you to look at the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. letter of each word to descramble what they are saying. In fact, I saw someone attempt to do this in the commmons of WC yesterday, BUT, LOL, it did not work for them. I even saw a boy tell his sister she was "STEW PET". Where do we go from here?

Most of this kind of thing happens in the Commons area of most worlds and the shopping district and old town. These are areas where they can gather in groups without being drawn into battle as the group expands.

I give KI credit for what they have been able to do with the chat system. But I for one don't want to lose that priviledge.

Defender
Aug 07, 2010
107
goldendragon18

I look at both sides of an argument before I make a decision and I did post for that reason. I believe it should be taken out of the game. What you say is not right. What you say because KI will ban noob means they are going to take down all chat for everyone permanently. That is a little extreme. You make it sound like a domino effect where one thing will will lead to another and the end result is no chat talk for all. But that is not what will happen. I have been there when words were taken out and that just doesn't happen. KI takes words out of the game that are used offensively towards others.

An example KI banned "where the flock" or "flock you" Those words were meant to harm others. Correct? In there own context they are perfectly normal words and are not meant to hurt others. That same goes with the word noob. It is meant to be harmless and a "newbie". But when people use it offensively like " Your a pathetic noob" or "Look at his noob strategies" or "Your a pointless noob" that was not the reason KI allowed the word to be in this game.

Can you give me a good reason why it should stay in the game?

From my take it on it, from playing this game for a long time, noob is used as a negative word. Ya sure there are other worse words out there and yes you can ignore it. But why ignore it if you do not have to? There are more positive benefits than negative benefits from my stance.

But like all words KI bans, its usually for the better but I can tell you that KI will not ban chat for everyone because of one word. That doesn't make since. I can tell you three things KI looks for before banning the word. Will players leave as a result? Will it cost KI money? and will it harm the game in its entirety?

The answer is no to all of these questions. It will not make players leave, it will not cost KI money, and it will not hurt the game.

So I believe noob should be banned.




Defender
Jun 06, 2009
143
norr4687 wrote:
There is absolutly nothing wrong with the word noob as you said. I have to disagree with you though. I have been called noob hundreds of times. It dosent bother me at all. The reason is I dont take it as an insult. As for false reporting KI has that and will take care of those who do it. If your not false reporting then you have nothing to worry about. If your reported and said nothing bad then you have nothing to worry about. For them to remove that word just because you dont like it would be beyond wrong.

Do what I do when someone calls you a noob agree with them. :D :D They will walk away. If not start running around saying that your a happy little noob when they see it dose not bother you in the least they will stop. It works every single time for me. I even got other people running around saying it. Its actually fun plus since I am level 60 its even better.


so correct

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
755
ok people the subject has been overworked enough.

words are only a abstract construct of what You want it to Mean.

If you dont like the Meaning of the word then Change it to Suit you.

to me calling some one a Noob or in gaming it is N zero zero b (N00b)
is to say you need to learn what you are doing before you get us all killed.

some one calls me a noob i thank them then say i never knew you thot about me so much how kind of you.

talk about creating frustration in a person.

changing the meaning of a word occurs daily in this world.
so take that gaming word noob and make it work for you.
does wonders in PvP

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
403
5 reasons not to filter the word noob:

1. It's so overused it has basically no meaning.

2. There is something called an ignore button.

3. Does it really hurt anyone?

4. KI has edited the chat filter so many times. Do you think if they wanted to get rid of noob, they would have.

5. Its just a word.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2011
21
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:
5 reasons not to filter the word noob:

1. It's so overused it has basically no meaning.

2. There is something called an ignore button.

3. Does it really hurt anyone?

4. KI has edited the chat filter so many times. Do you think if they wanted to get rid of noob, they would have.

5. Its just a word.
1. it may be overused, but i've still seen children emotionally hurt from others calling them noobs 2. You may be able to ignore them, but others may catch on and create a group calling the person a noob. Of course you can leave, or report them, but if I were them, I'd feel then that i haven't done anything to stand up to this, because I don't think KI would ban/mute someone for using the word "noob" 3. Yes it does, especially the younger players. Name calling at schools have led students to... Well, I'll just assume you know. :( 4. They may still be taking time to decide on it. There are debates in history that have lasted extensively, or in other words, a very, very long time. 5. So is swearing.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
403
Drake9998 wrote:
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:
5 reasons not to filter the word noob:

1. It's so overused it has basically no meaning.

2. There is something called an ignore button.

3. Does it really hurt anyone?

4. KI has edited the chat filter so many times. Do you think if they wanted to get rid of noob, they would have.

5. Its just a word.
1. it may be overused, but i've still seen children emotionally hurt from others calling them noobs 2. You may be able to ignore them, but others may catch on and create a group calling the person a noob. Of course you can leave, or report them, but if I were them, I'd feel then that i haven't done anything to stand up to this, because I don't think KI would ban/mute someone for using the word "noob" 3. Yes it does, especially the younger players. Name calling at schools have led students to... Well, I'll just assume you know. :( 4. They may still be taking time to decide on it. There are debates in history that have lasted extensively, or in other words, a very, very long time. 5. So is swearing.


Ok, but seriously, if you really think of it, its a game. Like that "name calling" (yes i know what you mean and yes is sad) in real life yea its bad. but its a game. Im talking in the full blown long run. Its not like its a constant everyday thing. You meet the person once and then its done.

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
588
Drake9998 wrote:
DanielThunderFlame... wrote:
5 reasons not to filter the word noob:

1. It's so overused it has basically no meaning.

2. There is something called an ignore button.

3. Does it really hurt anyone?

4. KI has edited the chat filter so many times. Do you think if they wanted to get rid of noob, they would have.

5. Its just a word.
1. it may be overused, but i've still seen children emotionally hurt from others calling them noobs 2. You may be able to ignore them, but others may catch on and create a group calling the person a noob. Of course you can leave, or report them, but if I were them, I'd feel then that i haven't done anything to stand up to this, because I don't think KI would ban/mute someone for using the word "noob" 3. Yes it does, especially the younger players. Name calling at schools have led students to... Well, I'll just assume you know. :( 4. They may still be taking time to decide on it. There are debates in history that have lasted extensively, or in other words, a very, very long time. 5. So is swearing.


Be honest. Does swearing really hurt your feelings. No.Well it doesn't hurt mine. I just ignore. This saying is so true:
"Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me"
That's how I think of things and you should to.

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
729
watsupdog111 wrote:
Yes i am aware that saying the word "noob" is not a reportable offense, but its very irritating. When people say the word "noob" they do not understand its meaning. Also this causes many fights and false reporting, please ki take the time to read this message.

I totally agree! On these very message boards I believe myself to be a respectable player, yet people call players my level noobs! It makes me just irritated that no one can show respect to their fellow players and comrades. Everyone was a level 5 at some point, even the very best. Why be mean to people who have just started the game? That could be a 5 year old kid behind the screen for all you know! I know second graders that play, and another kid that's even younger. The word noob should be banned, as it is a very irritating insult. Newbie, I'm fine with but noob, not at all.

Defender
Apr 24, 2011
172
watsupdog111 wrote:
Yes i am aware that saying the word "noob" is not a reportable offense, but its very irritating. When people say the word "noob" they do not understand its meaning. Also this causes many fights and false reporting, please ki take the time to read this message.
nah they dont need filter it. Noob means someone who uses a grenade launcher in video games consistently.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1469
Drake9998 wrote:
1. it may be overused, but i've still seen children emotionally hurt from others calling them noobs


That doesn't change the fact that the definition of the word isn't set in stone. That's the bottom line: some feel it's an egregious word, but some feel it's pretty innocuous. It's all about how you define it.

2. You may be able to ignore them, but others may catch on and create a group calling the person a noob. Of course you can leave, or report them, but if I were them, I'd feel then that i haven't done anything to stand up to this, because I don't think KI would ban/mute someone for using the word "noob"

You're right; they won't. The best option in this situation is to leave and ignore. I don't see why this is so difficult to understand.

3. Yes it does, especially the younger players. Name calling at schools have led students to... Well, I'll just assume you know. :(

Wow, really? I'm not even gonna address this.

4. They may still be taking time to decide on it. There are debates in history that have lasted extensively, or in other words, a very, very long time.

This has been a problem since day one years ago. If they haven't decided by now, it's not happening.

5. So is swearing.

Comparing curse words and 'noob' is ridiculous. Curse words earned their negative reputation centuries ago.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
387
Its not hurtful its annoying and there is a big difference with that, people are getting confused and think the only reason why i wanted the word to be filtered is because its hurtful. Well its not, its just annoying and its becoming a point where its abused and people using it as a different meaning like gay means happy but others use it as a different meaning now a days.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
403
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
crystalwizard12345... wrote:
Oh yes, I did.

And oh yes, that's EXACTLY what a fairly large majority of those that use it in the game AND OTHER PLACES online use it for. To cyberbully.

yeah, they are in the same hemisphere.

It's a term being used maliciously with the intent to hurt the target, enrage them and otherwise maltreat them.


Again, even if that were true, you can ignore it. 'Noob' is not a curse word; therefore, there's no reason to block it. I really don't see where the problem lies. If you're seriously gonna cry "block" on the word 'noob', I shutter to think how you'd feel playing other MMORPGs. Also, considering the other slurs I've seen thrown around in this game, 'noob' is the least of our problems.


Once again 100% agree!!!!

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
403
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Drake9998 wrote:
1. it may be overused, but i've still seen children emotionally hurt from others calling them noobs


That doesn't change the fact that the definition of the word isn't set in stone. That's the bottom line: some feel it's an egregious word, but some feel it's pretty innocuous. It's all about how you define it.

2. You may be able to ignore them, but others may catch on and create a group calling the person a noob. Of course you can leave, or report them, but if I were them, I'd feel then that i haven't done anything to stand up to this, because I don't think KI would ban/mute someone for using the word "noob"

You're right; they won't. The best option in this situation is to leave and ignore. I don't see why this is so difficult to understand.

3. Yes it does, especially the younger players. Name calling at schools have led students to... Well, I'll just assume you know. :(

Wow, really? I'm not even gonna address this.

4. They may still be taking time to decide on it. There are debates in history that have lasted extensively, or in other words, a very, very long time.

This has been a problem since day one years ago. If they haven't decided by now, it's not happening.

5. So is swearing.

Comparing curse words and 'noob' is ridiculous. Curse words earned their negative reputation centuries ago.


Yes!!!!!