Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Family Friendly? Really?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 22, 2010
11
Although I was once a total proponent of Wizard101 for people of all ages, I must retract my statement. To call Wizard101 family friendly is a total joke. The only thing family friendly about this game are the graphics and the chat system. KI has embraced a business model based around incredible time and money commitments (required for the best gear and spells) which is not family friendly - in fact, it is family detrimental. I would NEVER let my kids get into this game.

I am dissapointed in KI because its business model seems to be more and more focused on promoting "games of chance" (call it gambling if you want) which are unhealthy for families and especially frustrating for kids. I love card games, and have spent plenty of money on them, but Wizard101 is extroadinarily expensive for what you get....not to mention you practically require a subscription unless you have purchased zones with crowns from the very beginning because quests require you to jump back and forth to random zones.

There is nothing wrong with games of chance if they are affordable and rewarding - they become gambling (on a dangerous level) when they require large amounts of cash for sometimes little or no payoff and/or great rewards.

This focus on games of chance has started to pervade all but the most basic aspects of Wizard101. Here are just a few examples:

-Card Packs (there is no way that I should have to invest $30 or more for a "chance" at getting an important tactical spell for my favorite character)

I spent 40k crowns trying to get ninja pigs for my lvl 68 myth wizard. If you have a high level myth you can understand why this spell is so crucial.

-Waterworks Gear (encourages a huge time investment)

I had to farm Waterworks more than 20 times for my set of a tricksy gear. When I look back on the time I spent doing it is depressing. I would never enourage my children to play a game that has such a luck-based time commitment for the most powerful gear.

-Pet Breeding: Way too random (little or no skill, huge time and/or money investment)

I posted a long time ago that pet breeding is too random. We can all agree that pets with the right combination of talents can be incredibly powerful...however, even when hatching 2 carefully selected pets for specific talents, it is almost impossible to get the exact combination of 4 talents that you want. I have hatched 2 pets with the right manifested talents over 50 times - spent countless gold and crown- and still failed to get the 4 talents I wanted in a pet.

I am giving up Wizard101, which is by far my favorite game, because I feel that KI has taken advantage of my love of the game. If you read these forums, many will disagree with my statements because they

A) were lucky and got the rare card or gear that they wanted with minimal time/money investment

B) have literally nothing better to do with their time or money

C) are so blinded by their love of the game that they can't see it for the tragedy it has become

Goodbye Wizard101, it was great while it lasted, but I am going to go play an MMO which primarily rewards skill and cooperation, NOT a detrimental investment in money and time.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
1609
Adaptation wrote:
Although I was once a total proponent of Wizard101 for people of all ages, I must retract my statement. To call Wizard101 family friendly is a total joke. The only thing family friendly about this game are the graphics and the chat system. KI has embraced a business model based around incredible time and money commitments (required for the best gear and spells) which is not family friendly - in fact, it is family detrimental. I would NEVER let my kids get into this game.

I am dissapointed in KI because its business model seems to be more and more focused on promoting "games of chance" (call it gambling if you want) which are unhealthy for families and especially frustrating for kids. I love card games, and have spent plenty of money on them, but Wizard101 is extroadinarily expensive for what you get....not to mention you practically require a subscription unless you have purchased zones with crowns from the very beginning because quests require you to jump back and forth to random zones.

There is nothing wrong with games of chance if they are affordable and rewarding - they become gambling (on a dangerous level) when they require large amounts of cash for sometimes little or no payoff and/or great rewards.

This focus on games of chance has started to pervade all but the most basic aspects of Wizard101. Here are just a few examples:

-Card Packs (there is no way that I should have to invest $30 or more for a "chance" at getting an important tactical spell for my favorite character)

I spent 40k crowns trying to get ninja pigs for my lvl 68 myth wizard. If you have a high level myth you can understand why this spell is so crucial.

-Waterworks Gear (encourages a huge time investment)

I had to farm Waterworks more than 20 times for my set of a tricksy gear. When I look back on the time I spent doing it is depressing. I would never enourage my children to play a game that has such a luck-based time commitment for the most powerful gear.

-Pet Breeding: Way too random (little or no skill, huge time and/or money investment)

I posted a long time ago that pet breeding is too random. We can all agree that pets with the right combination of talents can be incredibly powerful...however, even when hatching 2 carefully selected pets for specific talents, it is almost impossible to get the exact combination of 4 talents that you want. I have hatched 2 pets with the right manifested talents over 50 times - spent countless gold and crown- and still failed to get the 4 talents I wanted in a pet.

I am giving up Wizard101, which is by far my favorite game, because I feel that KI has taken advantage of my love of the game. If you read these forums, many will disagree with my statements because they

A) were lucky and got the rare card or gear that they wanted with minimal time/money investment

B) have literally nothing better to do with their time or money

C) are so blinded by their love of the game that they can't see it for the tragedy it has become

Goodbye Wizard101, it was great while it lasted, but I am going to go play an MMO which primarily rewards skill and cooperation, NOT a detrimental investment in money and time.


o really best gear and spells arent in those packs
best gear is and always have been (since they came out) waterworks legend gear
those ninja lore pack spells may be flashy but arent the best spells ever
for this time vs crowns comes into play
ya can spend crowns for what may appear as really good gear for level 60
or time for waterworks gear the better legendary gear
same goes for the ninja lore pack spells vs regular spells
ya can spend crowns for a CHANCE at those rank 5 spells or
ya can spend TIME leveling up a character to learn new spells

you say that you have a level 68 wizard. yet ya dont see how ww gear is the best choice of gear
and crowns vs time comes into play with pet hatching and training to
ya can spend time training with in game snacks or dropped mega snacks at high lvl dungeons like ww and mirror lake (was it ml i forgot) by farming for them
or spend crowns to get several mega snacks instantly
patient people go through life slowly but effectively
while unpatient people go way to fast and hits several speed bumps along the way

this game still is and always was family friendly
ya can do member ship or crowns buying the areas or just hang out in the free areas
crowns is a option but greed makes people unable to pick the right path and then you might regret it
( note to ki)
when i said greed will make people pick the wrong path i meant it like in life basicly not saying the crown items has gone to far

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
716
Omg, you nailed the hammer on the head with the Ninja Pig spell. I don't even want to say how many crowns I spent because I'd just embarrass myself now.

Lets just say 40k crowns does not even scratch the tip of my iceberg that I have created in trying to get my Myth to learn Ninja Pigs.

I really disagree and HATE what KI has done here. I will still call this a family game because families can still gather together and play, but to my eyes, KI has become nothing but a greedy, money grubbing corporation. Sure, everybody wants money. But this is GREED. Sheer, blind greed. Bad thing to teach to impressionable players. I honestly do not think that they put spells in card packs because their business was suffering. But because of greed.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
793
Adaptation wrote:
Although I was once a total proponent of Wizard101 for people of all ages, I must retract my statement.
Reply: Your call.
To call Wizard101 family friendly is a total joke. The only thing family friendly about this game are the graphics and the chat system. KI has embraced a business model based around incredible time and money commitments (required for the best gear and spells) which is not family friendly - in fact, it is family detrimental. I would NEVER let my kids get into this game.
Reply: All games require high levels, gear, and large time investments to get them. The fact that all ages can play it makes it family friendly.

I am dissapointed in KI because its business model seems to be more and more focused on promoting "games of chance" (call it gambling if you want) which are unhealthy for families and especially frustrating for kids.
Reply: A card pack will grant 7 items, so they do what they say.
I love card games, and have spent plenty of money on them, but Wizard101 is extroadinarily expensive for what you get....not to mention you practically require a subscription unless you have purchased zones with crowns from the very beginning because quests require you to jump back and forth to random zones.
Reply: Again, it's no different then any other MMO.
There is nothing wrong with games of chance if they are affordable and rewarding - they become gambling (on a dangerous level) when they require large amounts of cash for sometimes little or no payoff and/or great rewards.
Reply: The packs are completely optional.
This focus on games of chance has started to pervade all but the most basic aspects of Wizard101. Here are just a few examples:

-Card Packs (there is no way that I should have to invest $30 or more for a "chance" at getting an important tactical spell for my favorite character)
Reply: Those tactical spells are optional. Not required.

I spent 40k crowns trying to get ninja pigs for my lvl 68 myth wizard. If you have a high level myth you can understand why this spell is so crucial.
Reply: treasure Card versions of Ninja Pigs are dropped in Mooshu, and the drop rate of them is very high. You could try farming for them.

-Waterworks Gear (encourages a huge time investment)

I had to farm Waterworks more than 20 times for my set of a tricksy gear. When I look back on the time I spent doing it is depressing. I would never enourage my children to play a game that has such a luck-based time commitment for the most powerful gear.
Reply: Dungeons and Gauntlets are in every game, and always require time investments. Even playing this game without dungeons is a time investment.

-Pet Breeding: Way too random (little or no skill, huge time and/or money investment)
Reply: This has hurt me too, but unless you're a very serious PvPer/hybrid collector it isn't really required, and I stopped hatching pets a while back.

I posted a long time ago that pet breeding is too random. We can all agree that pets with the right combination of talents can be incredibly powerful...however, even when hatching 2 carefully selected pets for specific talents, it is almost impossible to get the exact combination of 4 talents that you want. I have hatched 2 pets with the right manifested talents over 50 times - spent countless gold and crown- and still failed to get the 4 talents I wanted in a pet.
Reply: Same as above.

I am giving up Wizard101, which is by far my favorite game, because I feel that KI has taken advantage of my love of the game. If you read these forums, many will disagree with my statements because they

A) were lucky and got the rare card or gear that they wanted with minimal time/money investment
Reply: Not me, though I disagree with you.
B) have literally nothing better to do with their time or money
Reply: Same as above.
C) are so blinded by their love of the game that they can't see it for the tragedy it has become
Reply: Though I do love this game, it is not the only one I play, and I do not let myself be blinded.
Goodbye Wizard101, it was great while it lasted, but I am going to go play an MMO which primarily rewards skill and cooperation, NOT a detrimental investment in money and time.
Reply: Very well. I hope you read this post before you leave, however.
All comments in above quote. Farewell, and good luck!

Explorer
Dec 29, 2009
87
I totally agree. And the ones who were very lucky will disagree with all of us who feel this way. I feel your pain with the pet breeding.. My husband and I have done the same with the correct manifested talents and after 10 plus times and hundreds on snack packs we still get health and mana gift, or a selfish talent... However I do realize you do not have to buy crowns to level pets but who wants to use snacks that give 6 xp when you can pay and get 50xp.. It gives you no choice but to buy the packs if you want to get anywhere fast. And with all the different hatching you have to do it is very expensive.. But all games have their gimmicks and if we don't like the catch we don't have to play. But again I agree you get ripped off more than you win in most cases. Unless you are one of the lucky ones....

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2569
Good luck with your future endeavors. Almost all MMOs are going exclusively to microtransactions. It's likely only a matter of time, before Wizard101 drops the subscription fee and only offers Crowns items (expansion zones, gear, pets, etc) to pay for the game, just like all the other major MMOs. The a la carte method, is the growing trend among MMOs (only pay for what you want/use).

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1473
I kinda agree with everything said here. Wizard101's cons are starting to outweigh its pros. It's becoming beyond ridiculous and it stinks to be quite honest because, like the original poster, I love this game. It's a terrible shame that KI is single-handedly causing their own downfall.

I'd like is to see KI defend themselves, but I know the only reason Prof. Greyrose would go anywhere near this thread is to moderate it and shut it down.

Champion
May 03, 2011
447
Almost all MMOs are going exclusively to microtransactions. It's likely only a matter of time, before Wizard101 drops the subscription fee and only offers Crowns items (expansion zones, gear, pets, etc) to pay for the game, just like all the other major MMOs. The a la carte method, is the growing trend among MMOs (only pay for what you want/use).

I did not know this. I don't play any other games, and, although my son and husband do, the one they play doesn't operate like that. It's interesting--but I wonder if these other games you are referring to also have the "lottery" aspect as well. I think that's what the OP was most incensed about. I think that microtransactions, in and of themselves, are not necessarily a bad thing. It's the uncertainty--the bad odds, if you will--that make this game increasingly frustrating for many players. I, too, have farmed for gold for days only to hatch an unusable pet, and have pretty much given up on this part of the game. Example: I got a Storm Hound from Malistaire the other day, and thought, "Hey, I could hatch this into a good pet for my Storm." The pedigree was reasonably high, so I thought it would take maybe two-three hatches to get something decent. Then I looked the pet up and saw it had FOUR selfish talents. Four. These talents exist, as far as I can tell, only to make us keep hatching pets to get rid of them. I saw myself hatching maybe 20 pets and still getting one of these in every one. And so the pet is wandering around my house, with the rest of the cute-but-useless ones. Another example: Waterworks. My son and I did this because he hates crafting, and his gear is awful. He's in ZF and has virtually no resist. The dungeon was boring, took a couple of hours, and he got nothing. Not one useful piece of gear. Now I know people farm this place hundreds of times to get their gear, but, and I don't want to be insulting here, my mind isn't set up for endless repetitive actions that are likely to end in frustration. I have better stuff to do with my time, and so does my kid. He has pretty much quit the game because of the endless grinding in ZF and this whole "drops" issue. I do want him to learn focus and patience--but I would rather he use this focus to, like, read Moby Dick or master algebra rather than spend hours farming for gear or trying to "collect" something. I really miss playing with him, though. He got me into W101, and, while I still like aspects of it for sure, it no longer feels like a "family" game the way it did less than a year ago, when I started playing.

I have not bought any of the new Hoard Packs, because I am tired of this whole gimmick. I've detailed my objections to buying spells elsewhere, so I won't get into that here. But it's definitely made me rethink my commitment to playing. So, to the OP: I feel your pain. I am sorry to see more family-oriented players leave. I hope you find a cool game you can play with your kids. It is fun to share that with them. KI definitely got that right. There was much to love about this game, and I hope some other company will take some of these ideas and make a great family game, the way this one used to be. I also wish KI's expansion as a business had taken more account of families, their finances, and the kind of things we want our kids to be learning. I miss the game I used to play. I'm still here, but I'm not sure for how long. I guess it depends on what the game looks like in 4-6 months, and whether or not I find another game that really is family-friendly. The way this one used to be. Good luck to you, and thanks for sharing your experience here.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
716
Lol AkihiroHattori5. Funny.

Then I been thinking too, if they did make those spells available through other means other than crowns, they would have to hear a lot of complaints from people that had spent like .... 200k crowns on trying to get the spells. Like me. lol.

I'd be somewhat disgruntled, I'd say.

Despite everything and/or everyone going to microtransactions, it is a low down dirty shame that nobody sees that THAT is not the right way to go.

In order for the world and economy to change, EVERYBODY has to be willing to be a little less greedy, not just the little people at the bottom. I wish the world could see that ....

Defender
Nov 18, 2011
116
right i am on none side i personally think the game isnt about gear and stuff i think its about meeting freinds not being a show of with all u gear and stuff i aslo agree that it is hard getting items u want from packs or watever their called

Adherent
May 20, 2010
2900
I agree that the lottery element of Crowns, boss chests, and particularly pets needs to be curtailed. Just offer each item for a fixed price in Crowns and be done with it.

That said, the game is playable (except perhaps for PvP) without the use of any Crowns, and they're purchased and used by choice.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4956
You aren't the only one unhappy with the new packs. You are, however, incorrect on a lot of points. Example: Waterworks gear is still the best. In fact the gear in most the newer packs is, well, not good.

Good luck with whatever you decide to play. I'd stay away from just about any online game, though. KI is hardly unique in their approach to make money.

And FYI, this is a family friendly game. You make the choice to purchase the packs/crowns items or not. It is possible to say no to a child.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
387
Defender
Jun 06, 2009
102
Wow, not sure what your beef is, exactly.

The game is very much a family-friendly game. We have two parents, two kids, and two grandparents who play regularly across three households in this family alone.

There are a very small number of exceptions, but the best gear is acquired through hard work and patience. Most of the stuff in the card packs is useless.

Okay, some of it is pretty. Like stitching, if you care about pretty, sure, go spend some Crowns on it.

My Zero-Crowns policy got me and my daughter through the two years or so we played. We made occasional exceptions, like to speed up the process of getting Brooms and Blue Dragons, and I think I got each of us a wand. Bought one bundle of Crowns that did all that plus all the stitching we ever could have wanted.

For birthdays or Christmas we often include a castle bundle, which gives Crowns and gear, and the Crowns usually go for stitching. I think during one of the sales I bought several Wyvern Hoard or Dragon Hoard packs, and realized quickly I wasn't interested in the stuff I was getting for my hard-earned 39 cents. lol. Done with that.

Now the whole family is in on it, so we have established a 5k Crowns per month per person budget, plus you get to keep whatever comes with your gift cards and bundles. We've been doing that since November last year, so about 5 months, plus Christmas presents.

Since then, I bought another Wand, some Evil Magma Peas seeds, and some Beast Master outfits to use as pajamas so all characters have extra Energy for morning Gardening. Other than stitching, I haven't found any reason to spend Crowns on anything since. My daughter, age 12, is sitting on over 26,000 Crowns because she can't find anything worth buying. Age 12. I kid you not.

And though my daughter has learned many good life lessons by playing Wizard 101, including how to deal with jerks and whiners, I have to say -- If the only thing this game had taught her was that you don't have to buy everything you want right when you see it, I've already gotten back more than I could possibly invest in this game for the rest of my Life. :-)

Family game? You bet.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard
Pixie Realm

Survivor
Feb 29, 2012
15
We cant blame KI and say its all their fault. Its the people that buy the packs responsibility on how much money they spend for the CHANCE of getting a spell or gear or whatever. If you dont want to spend the crowns then its simple, don't. We have no right calling KI greedy. These packs are not needed to play the game. Its a choice. Instead of blaming KI just dont buy the packs. its that simple.

I bought a few of the packs and you don't see me complaining. But i did not waste money buy dropping more than 5 dollars on these packs because i know i have better things to spend my money on. Its fine to post and state your opinion but there is no need for threats (to quit or whatever) or name calling (greedy, ect...). Just forget about the packs and enjoy the game

Jennifer Frogsong ~ lvl 39 Balance wizard

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
1359
Adaptation wrote:
-Card Packs (there is no way that I should have to invest $30 or more for a "chance" at getting an important tactical spell for my favorite character)

I spent 40k crowns trying to get ninja pigs for my lvl 68 myth wizard. If you have a high level myth you can understand why this spell is so crucial.

No one is forcing you to buy crowns and spend them on a pack. So what, it is crucial? Are you doing to die or something from not having a card? But, true, this is a gambling chance.
Adaptation wrote:
-Waterworks Gear (encourages a huge time investment)

I had to farm Waterworks more than 20 times for my set of a tricksy gear. When I look back on the time I spent doing it is depressing. I would never enourage my children to play a game that has such a luck-based time commitment for the most powerful gear.

Now listen to me, I know the pain (I still dont have the boots!), but this teaches patience and perserverance. Yes, you need some luck, but, how much time did it take you to get the gear for all your other levels? Takes effort.

Adaptation wrote:

-Pet Breeding: Way too random (little or no skill, huge time and/or money investment)

I posted a long time ago that pet breeding is too random. We can all agree that pets with the right combination of talents can be incredibly powerful...however, even when hatching 2 carefully selected pets for specific talents, it is almost impossible to get the exact combination of 4 talents that you want. I have hatched 2 pets with the right manifested talents over 50 times - spent countless gold and crown- and still failed to get the 4 talents I wanted in a pet.

Well this here is your fault. You should know that you cant breed once and get all right 4 talents. You need at least 10 different breeds with 10 different pets to get even 3 of the right talents. (spell proof, defy, unicorn) and probably another 15 to get the 4th right without messing the others up.
Pet breeding isnt a game of chance. Maybe a little, but not really.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
407
Couldn't of said it better myself.

Funny how horrible you make the game sound when your only scratching the surface about its cons (proves how far off this game is.)

Champion
May 03, 2011
447
Reading the differences of opinion here is--as always--interesting. It's certainly true that people don't have to use crowns if they don't want to. I pretty much always have some, but don't buy much with them. My son, who seldom plays now, got bored with hoard packs and the like a long time ago. His account still has quite a few unused crowns. I guess for me--and for him, he's 11--it's about the lottery aspect of other parts of the game, as I mentioned above. Drop rates in the higher worlds (endless grinding, in other words, to get a few things). The game of chance that is pet training. The endless repetition of dungeons like Waterworks to get stuff that's--in my opinion--pretty essential for continuing the game at high levels, if you don't craft. At 11, he just doesn't have the mind-set for crafting, and he'd rather play sports than run Waterworks 30 times to get enough gear to make the game fun again.

It really comes down to temperament, I think. Are you willing to do things--the same things--over and over to maybe get the things you need/want? Some, perhaps many, people are. Do you enjoy games of chance? (I'm not calling it gambling, notice). Maybe people do. For me, and for my son, that aspect of the game isn't interesting. Endless repetition is intellectually mind-numbing and emotionally frustrating. Personally, I never buy lottery tickets or raffle tickets or anything like that unless it's for some charity. I know what the odds are of winning those things, and it's absurd. KI doesn't tell us the odds (smart of them), but one can guess from anecdotal evidence. Whatever the rewards, I always think that it doesn't justify the time. I'd rather read a book, or spend time outside, or write a story.

Now there are great things about this game, for sure. The worlds, the stories. Housing and crafting are really awesome. Pets are fun if you are lucky and/or determined enough to get a good one. And I have made a few great game friends. But again, too many things are lottery-based. Way too many. And, at least in Zafaria, the grind is pretty intolerable the third, fourth time around. I think for an energetic, imaginative kid, the repetition, grinding, and concomitant frustration can be intolerable. Especially if he has no way of getting the gear he needs, except through more frustrating, boring, repetitious grinding. And against pretty daunting odds.

So, is it family-friendly? Depends on the family, I guess. And one's tolerance for repetition. As for the crowns issue--well, as everyone says, it's a choice. And yeah, parents should set limits for their kids. But they are kids, and peer pressure is real. These endless hoard packs don't make a parent's job any easier. Should a "family-friendly" game strive to do that? I guess that's the question.

Interesting discussion.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4956
watsupdog111 wrote:
And this is why Ki can't beat WoW

LOL!
They've surpassed their users by millions and actually is family friendly. WoW, not so much.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
1008
Apologies in advance if I offend. Please know that I do not intend to do so. There are just several points you touch on which make me want to respond due to a recent argument with an in-law...

Shiningfantasia wrote:
Then I been thinking too, if they did make those spells available through other means other than crowns, they would have to hear a lot of complaints from people that had spent like .... 200k crowns on trying to get the spells. Like me. lol.

The fact that you and so many others have indeed purchased these packs specifically for those spells is likely why there will only be more of them. Even at the best crowns rate, that's still what, $200?

Shiningfantasia wrote:
I'd be somewhat disgruntled, I'd say.

If I had put that many crowns down on something that eventually could be obtained in game without crowns, I'd be disgruntled as well.

Shiningfantasia wrote:
Despite everything and/or everyone going to microtransactions, it is a low down dirty shame that nobody sees that THAT is not the right way to go.

If all the people who have posted negatively about the packs on the forums recently had never spent any money on them, then I think they would go away. Businesses give the people what they want, not what they should want.

Shiningfantasia wrote:
In order for the world and economy to change, EVERYBODY has to be willing to be a little less greedy, not just the little people at the bottom. I wish the world could see that ....

This last statement is the one closest to the recent argument I mentioned. Know that my comments are directed at the sentiment which I feel is being expressed, and not at you...

I think people are greedy at every level of the economy. The above quote seems to imply that only "the little guys" are not greedy and therefore the problem lies with businesses such as KI (or its management). I know a tremendous number of people who think that because they spent money with a company, once, that they should now be entitled to far more than their original purchase. The company "makes millions" they say. It doesn't matter that the company also spends millions on salary, taxes, and other miscellaneous business overhead and that realistically, a company like KI is likely still not even in the black yet, with most of their profits going to pay down the initial investment in capital required to get the company off the ground. The unrealistic expectations of product for the amount of money spent can be seen on these forums every other week. Wanting something at someone else's expense, regardless of your financial status, is the very definition of greed. Given that this sentiment is pervasive throughout every facet of our society, I fail to see any moral high ground at any level of the socioeconomic ladder.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
793
watsupdog111 wrote:
And this is why Ki can't beat WoW
Actually, it is. WoW is losing players en mass. Wizard101 is gaining more then they lose.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2011
99
Mainly a reply to OP:
I may be biased like you say but i really disagree with you:

* First, i think we all understand that KI is a company like any other. I really don't understand why some people are so surprised that they would make money off their clients (the players). I doubt the subscriptions are enough to maintain and expand a game as much as they are doing. so it's likely that they need extras like the card packs which granted are very popular.

* There aren't many games that allow parents to somewhat restrict the actions of children. Yes, this games allow for some form of gambling but honestly if anyone gets too much into it, they are just plain irresponsible. Children would need permission from their parents to buy crowns stuffs here. and adult should be responsible enough to limits their spendings. Considering that i still think this a pretty family friendly game.

* Maybe we forget that crowns items aren't necessary to play this game. I absolutely fail to see the necessity of the rank five spell from the new pack . I have a level 70 myth and its my main character so i have an idea of what i am talking about. we have better spells. What exactly justifies spending so much on a pack just to get that spell.

* Like someone stated the waterworks legendary gear is still the best gear around. there really is no reason to spend crowns for gear. Yes some of the gear looks great but you can't possibly say that you need it to do well in the game.
Plus it's the most powerful gear in the game like you stated. Do you really expect it to be that easy to get? This game is already easy to go through as it is especially at higher levels. There has to be something to keep us into it don't you think?

* Pets can be frustrating but honestly, if you read a few guides on hatching it really becomes fun. All it requires is just patience.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2012
2
I do believe this is family friendly. Anything a family does together is going to cost money, personally I get to spend more time with my 3 boys and wife fighting battles and actually better conversations than before when they played xbox(expensive also) which I do not play. For the complainers I am sorry if you are having an issue but for us Noncomplainers.... they only complaint we have is all the down time lately. LOL. just sayen. 8)

Survivor
May 30, 2009
47
Let's bury your arguements one by one. I hope you read this Adaption, and you might want to play again. Hopefully.

1. Card Packs for Ninja Pigs. I am a level 70 myth pigs, and I believe I am farther than you in the storyline. I have completed Zafaria, Wintertusk, not Wysteria, though, if you mean the Tower of the Helephant you need for. I have never needed Ninja Pigs. It is a condensed damaged Minotaur for 1 more pip (I believe?) that is in between Minotaur and Orthrus.

2. The Waterworks. What an enriching subject. With 3 Level 60, not 70, I completed the Waterworks in 1 hour, 50 minutes I have no clue how long you would let your kids play for, but about two hours on the weekend is a fair amount of time. Your case was different. I have ran the Waterworks 4 times, the first time nothing, second time the hat, third time the robe, fourth time nothing, and I'm planning on doing something today. Because it doesn't actually take the ridiculous 4 hours on the warning message, I think it rather promotes patience.

3. Pet Breeding isn't really necessary. I don't do it. What do you want, when you mean randomness? There are a few options for every pet. There is a guide on Wizard101 wikia. Sell drops. Farm Mirror Lake, it isn't hard. Pet Breeding is fun, but not necessary.

Ok lets see what you had to say about counter-arguements...

A) were lucky and got the rare card or gear that they wanted with minimal time/money investment

B) have literally nothing better to do with their time or money

C) are so blinded by their love of the game that they can't see it for the tragedy it has become


hmm...
A. Cards... no purpose, waste of money on packs, I believe. Especially if tyhe reason your buying them is for Ninja Pigs. I'm not sure what the average amount of times to do the Waterworks to get the set is, but it actually doesn't take to long.

B. I don't play that much wizard101.

C. Wait, what's the tragic part? I think Wizard101 has become a lot better than 2 years ago when I started.

that all-
level 70 myth wizard Alric Deathfinder


Defender
Feb 15, 2009
137
In some ways, I, to, agree that Kingsisle could make many improvements to Wizard101. The proce