Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

"Eveything old will be new again"? Hmm...

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jun 13, 2011
Those words Professor Falmea spoke about... what do you think it could mean?

My guess would be not just counting to Wizard City renovations, but, I'm leaning towards the game needing a severe upgrade to the textures & models, 'cause, in the later worlds, I noticed that up close with the newer textures to characters in newer worlds, case in point, Polaris, they still look a little bit... muddy, in terms of resolution quality.

I don't know how much polygons many characters have, but, I'm sure it's few 1000s, likely cause at the time, the computer hardware weren't strong enough yet to make more detailed characters. Even with trying to update the models with about 100-200 hundred more polygons to keep in line with the current standards, it still wouldn't be enough.

I'd would like to point out the system requirements haven't changed at all since W101 launched, and with stronger hardware already out making better detailed characters, more polygons to models, better textures, visual effects, & so on, & very quickly, I may add, maybe it's finally time to up the requirements to not just W101, but P101, too. P101's still got the same old requirements W101 does, you know.

MMOs have to update their system requirements to keep in line with the latest, or near latest, computer hardware, once in a while. It's a matter of maintaining upkeep.

That, & they also have to update their internal development tools to speed up their content creation processes & streamline certain things, & several optimizations. KI should consider doing that.

Plus, there are other alternatives to certain programs that do texture making & 3d modelling, in a non-subscribed manner, that many people are using now. I could name some, but, not now.

That process can be long, I understand, but, that may have to get done sometime later or sooner.

All technical, yes, & many of you don't understand it all, but that had to be spoken about.

What do you think? Is it time for KingsIsle to increase the system requirements to allow their MMOs to handle better graphics, models, visuals, etc.? I think it should.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Just intuitively I'd reply that they plan to upgrade the way everything looks.
Maybe our wizards too but definitely Wizard City.

Explorer
Jun 06, 2013
I think it has something to do for their 10th birthday maybe.

Explorer
Dec 08, 2010
I think an update to the graphics would be great, but I don't believe it to be essential. Or, perhaps, if they were to update the graphics, I think it'd be a good idea to make it toggle-able to use the new graphics; particularly for those who do not have updated software. As to a Wizard City redesign, I believe that it would be fantastic to see it born anew, though it is not essential, in my opinion.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
From what I heard on KI Live last Winter, Kingsisle will do major game improvements with the graphic, add features and more stuff starting in Wizard City such as a Barber Shop for the 10th year anniversary.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Minor graphical improvements will be welcomed (there has already been graphical improvements over the past years like the npcs walking away after battles, the npcs mouths moving, etc). I'm pretty sure this will be more of that.

A major graphic improvement that changes the system requirements is not a good idea. Part of this game's success is the availability to many different customers across a variety of computer models, especially on the low end of the spectrum. (this was also some of the success in WoW with their low-end/cartoony graphics).

Squire
Jun 13, 2011
Oran of Urz on Mar 31, 2018 wrote:
Minor graphical improvements will be welcomed (there has already been graphical improvements over the past years like the npcs walking away after battles, the npcs mouths moving, etc). I'm pretty sure this will be more of that.

A major graphic improvement that changes the system requirements is not a good idea. Part of this game's success is the availability to many different customers across a variety of computer models, especially on the low end of the spectrum. (this was also some of the success in WoW with their low-end/cartoony graphics).
Well, yeah, but, sooner or later, they should up the graphics requirements, even if it's slightly. I know not everyone's willing to accept that yet.

Yeah, but even WoW would come to see that they had to recreate original models to have more polygons for better animation, textures, & so on to accommodate the stronger computer hardware on their 5th expansion, and they looked a lot better without having to make new textures look more... muddier. Even people took note that the improved models implemented actual expressive emotions without sacrificing their true appearances.

One day, W101 & even P101 may consider doing that path WoW did a couple years ago. We all cannot avoid this forever. Some of my words are just the reality of it, all are not being too harsh or something like it, & we may have to accept that.

Explorer
Mar 11, 2009
updates...new appearance...added things here and there...sure....everyone likes it....but no matter if its a big change or little features here and there.....this game is STILL great for the price!!!

Squire
Jun 13, 2011
Well, the newest update is here, and it's starting to display promise of Falmea's words spoken in the newsletter. It's really a good start, even if we see little at a time.

This update's gonna signal the beginning of a well-deserved overhaul on graphics... but, we can only wait & see how this goes.

Who's up to doing some "Old VS. New" comparisons in their spare time?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Love it so far. Some changes are more subtle. The graphics seem cleaner and crisper. It took a little getting used to at times. Eyesight had to adjust.

I noticed doggy 'workmen' all over the Commons so something more must be on the way!

Survivor
Mar 12, 2017
Think about the new pack: Unicorn Hoard's. Where is the first place you go in the game? Unicorn Way. It's just interesting that with the Spring update, they're initiating the birthday celebration.

Explorer
Feb 10, 2012
Tbh I haven't played the game in months (largely due to how much I was spending on Crowns ^-^") but if they do update the graphics, and add more features, that might be the push I need to make a new character and start all over again!